Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah she said "their perception of time is different" so while I kinda doubt literal time travel is involved, there is certainly something there.

When they revealed the pods my first thought was "they need more consciousnesses to put in orange balls" and I'm still fairly sure that's part of their plan.

It just clicked in my head "their" perception of time is different that she meant the Raps, not humans. So if they're machines, or the orbs are a consciousness of some kind like the singularity type stuff for an alien race then it makes sense that they wouldn't see time the way we do.

Edit: I'm really dumb I don't know how I missed that

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah if i were a betting man i'd bet the "perception of time" thing is a side effect of their technology being somehow ~quantum~

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Or they just experience time subjectively slower because they run a lot faster than our meat brains do.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Or it could be as simple as them being so long-lived/effectively immortal to the point that we're basically mayflies to them.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Or they intercepted the transmission of Pink Floyd's "Time" decades ago and it was a transformative experience for them.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Or they intercepted the transmission of Pink Floyd's "Time" decades ago and it was a transformative experience for them.

If this is the case then it's possible the 16 year old me discovering weed is a Rap

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like this season. I honestly was worried that the change in location would hurt the show, but it's made it better.

My theory on Snyder is that Charlie's death was the last straw and now he's turned and is planning to weaken the Occupational Government from within.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I bet he's making it mean something, dude was content to sit back till he remembered the kid that died directly because of him. Might put a damper on relaxing. He also was there to see the other alien ship go down and to talk with the rap about what was coming. He knows the stakes are way higher than the management tug and rub level that the algorithm assigned all the spineless ambitious gently caress-wits that were fine selling humanity for a nice spot in office.

He's grown as a character enough that his behaviour doesn't match his pre-arrival profile. Of course Charlie's death is going to hit him hard. We knew he had a soft sport for his daughter and he lived with the bowmans long enough that Charlie was a very real face among the abstracted dead of the raid.

He's not going to weaken it, he's going to make sure it works and it costs the least. That still makes him the instigator of untold suffering, but if it means humanity gets to live after then it wasn't a waste. A waste like staying in the lap of luxury when he knows he can change things for the probable better(and they really need it).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VictorianQueerLit posted:

They intercepted Phish's 20 minute "You'll Never Get Out of This Maze" song and drew the entirely wrong conclusions from it.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
main setting's Seattle, bit player last name of Crane, when's Kelsey Grammer show up already

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This episode had a different feel. It was my least favorite of the season so far. I guess seeing that D Bus gets shipped to the disintegration place or wherever they go was suitably dark for this show :shrug:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

pretty sure they're just be trucked off to work/concentration camps to build space lasers and poo poo.

also, the band is back together. nice to see Broussard back in the mix.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it took me a second to recognize Rene minus the beard

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's weird to have both my Wednesday night nerd shows have sudden, unexplained time jumps mid season. At least they didn't sync them up. I thought the episode was fine, it did a good job of going back to the core concept of the show, which originally was what are you willing to give up to protect your family. Except now Will in the malcontent and Katie is the one willing to work for the questionable government. It's also interesting to have them dedicate a whole episode to their new lives in Seattle before, presumably, things go to hell again. It's nice for a one off, but if it was kept up it would go real stale real fast. Mostly I'm just glad they're done with the resistance camp.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had to go back and make sure i didn't miss an episode.

Will Bowman is the ultimate survivor.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

I had to go back and make sure i didn't miss an episode.

Will Bowman is the ultimate survivor.

Me too LOL. Will was being 'interviewed', about to have his cover blown and then next scene they're in a nice home having breakfast.

Maybe next episode Snyder will show up, "Yes I did that for you Bowman, and now I've got a special operation for your particular skill set..."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not having been to Seattle, how much improved is it in the show from what it is now?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Binary Logic posted:

Me too LOL. Will was being 'interviewed', about to have his cover blown and then next scene they're in a nice home having breakfast.

Maybe next episode Snyder will show up, "Yes I did that for you Bowman, and now I've got a special operation for your particular skill set..."

He got moved up since his profile showed he would improve the local bar scene.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Logic posted:

I think it's more like that Will ended up being really important as evaluated by the algorithm, because they literally had his real name up at the end of the episode where he was getting interviewed. His cover is blown, they know he's faking. I guess that doesn't matter because the Seattle Initiative is actually a seperate body from the transitional authority.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i expect Wayne Brady's just waiting for 'Dalton' to get sufficiently tired of driving a cab to do something really stupid or disruptive, like caving in a Lockheed engineer's skull with a socket wrench, before he shows up to Bowman's cell and gives him an offer he can't refuse

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Grognan posted:

I think it's more like that Will ended up being really important as evaluated by the algorithm, because they literally had his real name up at the end of the episode where he was getting interviewed. His cover is blown, they know he's faking. I guess that doesn't matter because the Seattle Initiative is actually a seperate body from the transitional authority.

This is sorta what I was thinking. I'm wondering if it's related to the first scene with Wayne B where he complains about them doing it wrong then stealing the database. I wonder if he's the reason Will doesn't get shot by the drones. WB realized he was necessary (maybe as a backup plan to fight the raps. He seems to want to leverage the arrival of the raps into a rebuilding of humanity into a golden age) and was able to flag him and maybe others in the system.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ten_twentyfour posted:

(maybe as a backup plan to fight the raps. He seems to want to leverage the arrival of the raps into a rebuilding of humanity into a golden age)

for a given value of golden age

guy seems to be some sort of Silicon Valley tech wizard--but an actual wizard, not just somebody who pays labfuls of engineers like irl

the Seattle Colony is just an entire city run like the campus of one of the big tech companies, Amazon or Google, and as we see everybody's got a phone that serves as their wallet and tracking device

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zeal posted:

the Seattle Colony is just an entire city run like the campus of one of the big tech companies, Amazon or Google, and as we see everybody's got a phone that serves as their wallet and tracking device

Yeah it basically a carrot focused regime that also makes sure to hide the nasty stick side of running things.

Also the screening system seems to worship STEM nerds so the analogy is really good.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ten_twentyfour posted:

This is sorta what I was thinking. I'm wondering if it's related to the first scene with Wayne B where he complains about them doing it wrong then stealing the database. I wonder if he's the reason Will doesn't get shot by the drones. WB realized he was necessary (maybe as a backup plan to fight the raps. He seems to want to leverage the arrival of the raps into a rebuilding of humanity into a golden age) and was able to flag him and maybe others in the system.

I like these theories. The Algorithm picked out Will Bowman as a Person Of Interest.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

in all seriousness, wayne brady is some particularly inspired casting here. pretty sure we can all agree that if anyone is gonna pull a 180 and bring about the apocalypse, it's him right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to know a lot more about Will's night job. This PI poo poo is my fav new thing, he's going to get the job done. Will loves a 'Who done it?'

I'm a big of them resetting to absolute zero. Living under an occupation of peers, rather than a government body to resist against. New challenges and Will's hiding his job, they don't get along, Charlie's missing, daughter is all ok going to school drinking Koolaid. Faceless is going to meet some resistance bro's.

Everything is going to poo poo and now your wife's other husband shows up.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

I want to know a lot more about Will's night job. This PI poo poo is my fav new thing, he's going to get the job done. Will loves a 'Who done it?'

I've been loving the pace so far this season, but if things were to slow down i'd be fine with the show chewing the fat a bit in seattle

bowman becoming a PI on the side to look into things people can't or won't take to Wayne Brady's White Hats is the perfect way to get him into the seedy underbelly of the colony

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

zeal posted:

main setting's Seattle, bit player last name of Crane, when's Kelsey Grammer show up already

"I'm listening"

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

mossyfisk posted:

"I'm listening"

tbh David Hyde Pierce would be fine too

i bet he could play whatever ice-chewing bougie sociopath Wayne Brady has for a vizier

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
While Bram is kind of annoying in general it was nice to see him start planning for what he knows is going to happen.

Things are nice, they are well taken care of and safe in the new colony. That means it's only a matter of time until everyone they know is killed and they are running through the woods trying to hide from robots. Trying to get his own place so he can sit this one out is probably the smartest thing he can do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly don't mind Bram.

Episode was really good, how's this show doing in the ratings? We better get a next season, the world building they're doing here is great and Wayne Brady is a super interesting character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Did I miss something or did they leave out how long it was between episodes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

It didn't say. I got the impression it was maybe a month? I don't think it was too long.

I hope next episode is Snyder-focused to make up for his absence this time.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

It didn't say. I got the impression it was maybe a month? I don't think it was too long.

I hope next episode is Snyder-focused to make up for his absence this time.

Seems a lot longer than that, the girl aged up a bit. Will's had time to setup this night job and it be draining, their marriage is at the ignoring stage, She's had time to figure out the game.
Weren't the red hats there when they showed up? I'd guess the intro was real time and this is after is phone tether idea was put into play

I'd say a year or more, maybe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If it has been that long we definitely need an episode with Snyder showing what's been up with the other invaders etc that whole time.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

There was a line about Katie working on that one family's case for months.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ten_twentyfour posted:

I think Wayne's deal is that he made the algorithm to determine what skills people were good at, while the redhats were using the algorithm to determine who would be the most obedient. I'm sure there's a dark side to it (maybe people viewed as "unskilled" are disposed of?) but he seems like a guy who recognized that the current strategy of treating people like poo poo and casual mass executions is a horribly inefficient way to utilize humanity's potential, and was smart enough to provide enough evidence to convince the raps to try his approach. He seems a lot like Snyder, an ultimate pragmatist trying to save people from within the system.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

You're right, they did say that the family had been waiting for 4 months so it has to be longer than that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Binary Logic posted:

I thought the convo was that they had been waiting for months, not that she specifically had been on their case for months. But yeah, months seems about right either way.

HorseRenoir posted:

I think Wayne's deal is that he made the algorithm to determine what skills people were good at, while the redhats were using the algorithm to determine who would be the most obedient. I'm sure there's a dark side to it (maybe people viewed as "unskilled" are disposed of?) but he seems like a guy who recognized that the current strategy of treating people like poo poo and casual mass executions is a horribly inefficient way to utilize humanity's potential, and was smart enough to provide enough evidence to convince the raps to try his approach. He seems a lot like Snyder, an ultimate pragmatist trying to save people from within the system.

So where do we think the people getting disappeared from Seattle are getting sent? A new Factory? Or maybe [TWIST] Wayne Brady has his own "factory" set up to make weapons to fight the Claps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

So where do we think the people getting disappeared from Seattle are getting sent? A new Factory? Or maybe [TWIST] Wayne Brady has his own "factory" set up to make weapons to fight the Claps?

They get sent to a guitar factory.

HorseRenoir posted:

I imagine his algorithm was focused both at finding people who were skill but also would have incentives to respond to carrot focused Bloc. Sort of like that aerospace guy who was willing to ditch his wife to recover his standard of living and also get a younger wife.

• Locked thread