Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bigass Moth posted:

Should I be worried about buying an iPhone on swappa?

I'd say its no better or worse than any other online marketplace.

Just finished buying a phone off of Swappa - other than the seller using the slowest possible shipping option offered by USPS (parcel select) everything was exactly as described in the listing and was very well packaged.

Obviously YMMV but they do require payment through PayPal so there's a reasonable degree of scam protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Just make sure to price check between eBay and Amazon resellers too. So far on the phones I've purchased, Swappa wasn't the cheapest at the time.

bcstmr
Apr 17, 2004
I plan to activate an unlocked iPhone X and iPhone 7 on a Total Wireless family plan. I would really like to know if Total Wireless now supports visual voicemail and VoLTE for these devices. In the past they did not, but has anything changed? I've seen conflicting reports about customers getting it to work. If it matters, both the X and 7 were purchased directly from Apple as unlocked Verizon devices, but never actually activated with Verizon.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'll be on vacation in the US in May and since my prepaid provider charges ridiculous prices for data outside the EU we were planning on buying a prepaid data-SIM when we land in SF and pop it into the second SIM slot of my G5+. We'll probably be mostly in or around various west coast national parks. Checking for this, it seems AT&T has the best coverage (if there is any) in most of them, with T-Mobile seemingly coming second. As far as pricing, it's not like 'money is not an object' but with what the flight and the rest are already costing it would be stupid to cheapen out here, so I'd rather stay away from the MVNOs if the difference isn't significant at the same output. 5-10GB would be our target although more is always nice. Are there any recommendations?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ATT or Cricket (ATT MVNO). FYI Cricket need internet to activate the sim card. Very annoying. I don't know about ATT prepaid. Also you can buy Black Wireless sim outside of the US, so check your local ebay thng.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Sereri posted:

I'll be on vacation in the US in May and since my prepaid provider charges ridiculous prices for data outside the EU we were planning on buying a prepaid data-SIM when we land in SF and pop it into the second SIM slot of my G5+. We'll probably be mostly in or around various west coast national parks. Checking for this, it seems AT&T has the best coverage (if there is any) in most of them, with T-Mobile seemingly coming second. As far as pricing, it's not like 'money is not an object' but with what the flight and the rest are already costing it would be stupid to cheapen out here, so I'd rather stay away from the MVNOs if the difference isn't significant at the same output. 5-10GB would be our target although more is always nice. Are there any recommendations?

Make sure you're second SIM slot can do data if you intend to use it for LTE. Many dual sim phones only use the second SIM for phone calls.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Stick100 posted:

Make sure you're second SIM slot can do data if you intend to use it for LTE. Many dual sim phones only use the second SIM for phone calls.

Thanks for the warning, luckily I had the pleasure of testing this while switching providers earlier this year.

Thanks guys.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
TMO, VZW, ATT and Trac refills are all 15% off with Red Card at Target right now. No tax for me. Its an especially good deal for TMO, which rarely goes below face.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11304415-10-off-prepaid-phone-refill-cards-t-mobile-at-t-verizon-and-tracfone-email-delivery

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

TMO, VZW, ATT and Trac refills are all 15% 14.5% off with Red Card at Target right now. No tax for me. Its an especially good deal for TMO, which rarely goes below face.

While this isn't FatWallet and most goons probably won't have a meltdown over the half-percent difference in this case, it's worth noting that all of Target's discounts stack progressively using the discounted prices. (Keep that in mind when they run bigger promos on larger items.)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So my wife's $177 for 1 year, 2GB/month mintsim card expired. I actually forgot how much it was and had to go back to this thread and check. Mintsim hasn't run promotion recently so I picled up a $160 for a year, 1GB/month package from Red Pocket. You have the option to choose all 4 carriers.

I picked AT&T. It turned out the Red Pocket ATT sim came with wrong APN. I had to put the sim in a ATT branded prepaid phone; captured the correct APN on screenshot and manually create it on my unlocked Xiaomi phone. You can't edit APN on US iphones (becuase Apple is evil like that) so for iPhone you have to use Red Pocket online thingy to set the correct APN. What a blast from the past. The last time I had to manually mod APN I was using T-Mobile's Edge data service for $5 a month.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 6, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Update on the Red Pocket plan, their AT&T sim comes with wrong APN on it. Why the gently caress would you do something so poisoning? It took me 2 days to figure out, thanks to the spear ATT prepaid phone I have laying around. And unlike other phones, US versions of iphone do not give you the menu to edit the APN yourself. The only option to get correct APN is to install a "profile" from safari. And.... Red Pocket does not have working links for their APN profile. It took me a few hours to eventually find a NZ website with working APN profile on it to download. I got my wife's iPhone working but I fired off an angry email to the Red Pocket support anyway.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In talking to Tracfone's customer service typist I can't transfer my nano SIM + plan from my old phone without buying a BYOP pack? The agent said I risked getting my plan cancelled if they detected it.

Anyone hear of this happening? Should I try the old SIM first or suck it up and use the BYOP one?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

whatever7 posted:

You can't edit APN on US iphones (becuase Apple is evil like that)

You absolutely can. The problem is that Red Pocket is a lovely prepaid reseller, as you have elsewhere discovered. (If their SIMs were correctly identified as Red Pocket, you'd have access to the APN settings.)

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 28, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
wow apparently I've been loving myself. when did at&t add the $50 ($40 after autopay!) 8gb prepaid plan?

I've been paying $45-$5 for a 6GB plan for a while. I only noticed because I went to add some data cause I was dumb and ran out this month. I just upgraded to the $55 unlimited data plan instead, though.

is there anything currently better than that on either at&t or Verizon towers?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Total wireless is 35 for 5gb on verizon towers and then $10 for an additional 5gb if you run out that carries over if you don't use it, so I guess it depends on how often you think you'd go over if it's better or not

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Something to consider is how much do the MVNOs cap your top speed? For example, Cricket caps you at around 10 mbps which is perfectly usable, but since you’re already secondary in priority to the network operator, in areas or periods of congestion, your bandwidth can trickle down to nothing. I switched from Cricket to actual AT&T Prepaid and haven’t had a problem since. There is no cap on their data speed (unless you do unlimited data) and I can get over 100 mbps.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
That's crazy, I pay for two lines and had no idea AT&T Prepaid $50/8GB is the same price as Cricket after autopay/grouppay discounts. Why would I bother with Cricket at this point? Thanks!

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone used this? https://www.bevisible.com

$40 unlimited prepaid on Verizon. I think it’s only 5mbps, but no throtttling at 22GB? Would love to hear from someone who has tried it. Looks like you can signup right away.

tonic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 14, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tonic posted:

$40 unlimited prepaid on Verizon. I think it’s only 5mbps, but no throtttling at 22GB? Would love to hear from someone who has tried it. Looks like you can signup right away.

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but how many people could possibly care so little about data that 5mbps is enough but use so much of it that no throttling after 22GB is a selling point?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

LastInLine posted:

I know I'm going to regret asking this, but how many people could possibly care so little about data that 5mbps is enough but use so much of it that no throttling after 22GB is a selling point?

If I weren't mostly in wi-fi coverage I could probably use that much data streaming low-bandwidth stuff like podcasts, ballgames, and talk radio and stuff. Someone who listens to mostly music even more so, depending on how the throttling works.

Edit: also lol, we are on rural 4G for our home internet and we are capped at 10 mbps but with no usage limit/throttling, and we go through like 200+ GB per month using Netflix and whatever else.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 14, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

You have a job that allow you to stream youtube non stop but you don't have wifi at work.

Or a van dweller.

My coworker used to do that when he worked evening shift in a call center. There was no free wifi a few years ago and he got an unlimited Clearwire hotspot for pretty much $40 a month.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Waynebo posted:

That's crazy, I pay for two lines and had no idea AT&T Prepaid $50/8GB is the same price as Cricket after autopay/grouppay discounts. Why would I bother with Cricket at this point? Thanks!

Yea might switch over from cricket I guess. 3gb more/mo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just switched tot he ATT prepaid $50/8gb plan from the old T-Mobile nerd $30 plan.

Holy poo poo having unlimited minutes is so liberating.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm on a cricket 8gb/$50 plan and didn't realize they had nuked it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I just switched tot he ATT prepaid $50/8gb plan from the old T-Mobile nerd $30 plan.

Holy poo poo having unlimited minutes is so liberating.

The best part is deleting every saved wifi network but your own because public wifi is like public transportation, slow and for poors only.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Was looking at what the cheapest option was to put a sim in an old iPhone for my son to use for basic text/calls/super limited data and stumbled on Relay Go by Republic Wireless. Interesting concept (closest thread I thought this would be relevant in) and was hoping to hear if anyone in the thread had any experience with it? Realistically looking for some basic communication for my 10 year old that he can have on him in the event of a bad situation, or for logistics when he's at a friends house or something.

He has an iPod and an iPad, but both are only WiFi so this would not be serving any app/game purpose.

If the Relay is still unproven or has some fatal flaw, I'll just root out the cheapest prepaid solution I can find (Republic Wireless?) until I stumble upon TMo giving me a free line like they have in the past!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TraderStav posted:

If the Relay is still unproven or has some fatal flaw, I'll just root out the cheapest prepaid solution I can find (Republic Wireless?) until I stumble upon TMo giving me a free line like they have in the past!

The Relay thing is brand new (they just released it like a week ago), so you aren't going to find many reviews yet.

But I've been with Republic for years now and they've always been great, in addition to being dirt cheap. Their biggest drawback is the limited assortment of compatible phones, which doesn't include any iphones at all.

bcstmr
Apr 17, 2004

tonic posted:

I attempted to sign up, but they could never get the port (Verizon pre-paid) to complete. I suspect activation without porting may be more successful but I'm not willing to lose my number. Since this relies on LTE only, there have been many reports of service outages while they get the kinks worked out. I may give this another shot but for now I'm sticking with Verizon pre-paid. For the same $40, I get wi-fi calling and 6GB of data (with rollover) using a "double data" promotion for SIMS sold on ebay and independent dealers.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Powered Descent posted:

The Relay thing is brand new (they just released it like a week ago), so you aren't going to find many reviews yet.

But I've been with Republic for years now and they've always been great, in addition to being dirt cheap. Their biggest drawback is the limited assortment of compatible phones, which doesn't include any iphones at all.

Ah, it wasn't clear that it was just released, will have to sit tight for reviews. I think we'd prefer a smartphone anyway but thought it was a really cool concept!

I can use an unlocked iPhone, can't I? I have a 4S in my basement that still works. Think it just uses the T-mobile network.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Any new good deals?

I'm on cricket at the moment with the $50 8?gb plan. Just wondering if anyone has a better deal for next month.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Any new good deals?

I'm on cricket at the moment with the $50 8?gb plan. Just wondering if anyone has a better deal for next month.

The current best deals in prepaid are from providers that require you to buy multiple months of service in advance. Mint Mobile runs on T-Mobile and has 2, 5, and 10 GB for $15, $20, and $25/month if you prepay for a year (or 3 months with their current promotion).

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I said hosed it and got the Sprint free for a year plan to play around with. It costs 10.01 a month for tax and fee. I activated on a 6S Plus.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tino posted:

I said hosed it and got the Sprint free for a year plan to play around with. It costs 10.01 a month for tax and fee. I activated on a 6S Plus.

Interesting, but you need a live VZW number to do it with?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

kensei posted:

Interesting, but you need a live VZW number to do it with?

I ported an expiring Red Pocket (ATT) number, but you can get a pay as you go H2O or TMo or ting number to port.

I just got a H2O sim with first month service included on eBay for 12, I plan to use up its included data than I will use it to port, assuming Sprint still offer it in 20 days.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I actually just switched to someone else's Verizon post-paid multi-line Unlimited plan because it's only +$20 per extra line for them, but I had been on the free Sprint service since July of last year. I paid 99c for a FreedomPop sim with free service, and used that as the number I ported in to Sprint. I did have to get some voodoo done since my Pixel XL had once been on Project Fi, which counts as a Sprint MVNO, and any phone that has been on a Sprint MVNO needs some sort of bit switched before Sprint postpaid sees it as an eligible phone for the free plan. Since it is post-paid, you also will get a hard credit pull to sign up. Was paying around $7 for two lines, not that I had any use for the second line, but hey. It's actually a $5 plan with a $5 discount for autopay, and how much taxes and fees you pay depends on location.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well in an effort to give as little money as possible directly to ATT and Verizon I switched to USMobile. It seems okay and in the end I'll be paying the same. I wish I had more options but my entire giant state only really has ATT and Verizon coverage which really limits my discount options. I'm only paying for 5mbps top speed up to 14 gigs before slowdown which suits me fine. I need that streaming music as I do a lot of driving but don't watch shows on my phone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having some issues with cricket and mms? I did a firmware update, and now I can't send or receive mms.

This has completely killed my dick pic game :saddowns:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone else having some issues with cricket and mms? I did a firmware update, and now I can't send or receive mms.

This has completely killed my dick pic game :saddowns:

There's a weird fuckup with cricket apns that breaks mms until you unfuck the apn if I recall

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, ended up having to redo the setup so it matches the website's data.

Least it wasn't something horrible like an outage or anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FAUXTON posted:

There's a weird fuckup with cricket apns that breaks mms until you unfuck the apn if I recall

Cricket used to push a hosed up APN to my Pixel 2 XL everytime it restarted. Finally stopped like a month or two ago.