Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bogan Krkic posted:

I don't even think it would be thaaat bad if it was consistent, but it looks like it's cobbled together from 3 different fonts

Like... it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Art decobortion

Almost Bauhausian and charming, but comes off as a dafont deep cut instead

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Like... it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so bad?

Well, yah. It'd still be bad tho

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

If that was a custom font for 'TWIX' I'd be fine with that, but otherwise urghh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

How the gently caress can a typeface be too round AND too angular simultaneously?????

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I was gonna say it was like gehry tried to do a brutalist building and I think it fits:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i like how the guy started off with the A and B having that curve thing and then he got to C and said "oh gently caress" and then forgot about it for the rest of the font

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS

theflyingexecutive posted:

I was gonna say it was like gehry tried to do a brutalist building and I think it fits:

I don't often find buildings ugly but this is just disgusting.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Any thoughts on what this nice rounded OCR-adjacent face is? Might work nicely for a project I'm working on.

Also hey! I started working on a typeface of my own a while ago and it's slow but getting somewhere.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

spider wisdom posted:

Any thoughts on what this nice rounded OCR-adjacent face is? Might work nicely for a project I'm working on.

Also hey! I started working on a typeface of my own a while ago and it's slow but getting somewhere.

Looks a lot like https://www.fontspring.com/fonts/hitype/0arame

but for some reason the image makes it look like it has rounded ends

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

theflyingexecutive posted:

Didn't know Gehry was such a fan of Rocko's Modern Life

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Could someone tell me what font is the Gorn, Gorgon Video and Dragonslayer(1981) movie font?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I’m making a business card mockup for a whimsical book club – can I get alternate recommendations for the Dominican font I used? Preferably ones that includes an entire font family of book, regular, bold and italic fonts (bonus points for small caps) – I'd like to vary the type as much as possible while using the same font.

(My mockup is shamelessly based on this masterpiece.)

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

If you have Creative Cloud, Freight is a classic option with especially lovely italics

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/freight-text

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/freight

Though honestly those cards look fine as-is; the only changes I'd make are to reduce the size of the "logo" on the front by about half and remove the underline that doesn't match the aesthetic (or replace it with a scratchy hand-drawn one).

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for the input, I'll just use Dominican and implement your recommendations. 👍

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
The IM FELL family (Dafont.com, Google fonts) is free and has a ton of styles to choose from.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/stephcd/status/1095354199695675392

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Owner of the local comics shop posted on Facebook advertising that they now have Conan & Ehmenainen in stock.

(Wonderwoman in Finnish is Ihmenainen.)

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Fontmasters of the internet, does anyone have a clue of what this seemingly easy to find font would be?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:hmmyes:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Post from a friend

hell I'll give you the 20 buxx if you can find it

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It actually looks like a ligature of a lowercase i and v.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Did they install external fonts? Cause if not, that should narrow down to what is pre-installed on most OSes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

It actually looks like a ligature of a lowercase i and v.

Because of the dot they added.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's probably a free font off dafont or something. Put it through what the font and what font is with no results. My recommendation? Use your Creative Cloud license to get some better fonts for free.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Can anyone recommend an attractive(-ish) sans font with the same aesthetic as The Brown? I'm looking for something similar, but also containing the standard diacritics.

If not free, I would prefer to buy a copy outright. Any suggestions?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/maredfield/status/1326867986490200064

really interesting thread

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hey I'm working on a 3d environment taking place in a university in the 1960s and looking for reference for making my own posters inspired by the period. I'm curious where I would start with identifying the fonts used in these MIT posters? They're from the Library of Congress site if you want to find more. I already know about dafont but I'm curious about what kind of specific keywords I could search to find similarly styled fonts online?

Kanine fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2020

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

They’re mostly just helvetica in different weights.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh no the Helvetica Scenario!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's a reason they call it the Helvetica standard

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
hmm ok i feel really stupid for not realizing those were all pretty much helvetica. thank you goons 🙏

could anybody recommend specific good resources (books/videos/etc) as an intro for someone to start learning about graphic design/typography on their own? this stuff is a really gaping hole in my art understanding

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn this thread is so old that when I made my post on the first page I was still in my graphic design program in college.

So I guess you could do one of those? It didn't help me much.

Edit:And this post didn't help you much.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 15, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Getting a degree in graphic design is a great way to ensure that you don't do much graphic design in your life

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Kanine posted:

could anybody recommend specific good resources (books/videos/etc) as an intro for someone to start learning about graphic design/typography on their own? this stuff is a really gaping hole in my art understanding

The videos in this playlist go over a lot of design concepts in varying detail, with a common thread of typography. Those two channels have a lot of good content between them. They also sell online courses on typography and other creative and business skills for designers if you want to get more comprehensive/structured.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I kinda miss the sarcastic/honest font samples from the first few pages.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

I kinda miss the sarcastic/honest font samples from the first few pages.
I haven't reached the end of this thread in years because I actually just kept it bookmarked to revisit the first few pages, those are still great.

The rest of this thread is excellent too, but once it transitioned from mostly funny jokes to real font talk it stopped being a thread to check when you have two minutes and zero focus.

Rad that it's still getting posted in too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Kanine posted:

hmm ok i feel really stupid for not realizing those were all pretty much helvetica. thank you goons 🙏

If you want a deep deep dive into typography by a literal genius, get yourself a copy of The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst.