Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Asuron posted:

The whole Cadmus arc in JLU was fantastic start to finish, it really felt like the writers got what Superman was supposed to be and what kind of issue powers on that level would cause. They even got you to love The Question, a nobody D List character.

Too bad nothing since The Dark Knight Returns has been any good, with the Killing Joke being one of the worst things I think they've ever put out.

That was kind of a strength about JLU in general. Jon Stewart is a pretty old character that people only really came to love after the cartoon series gave him the lime light for once. The Question was great, and their inability to use Batman villains for the most part turned out to be a strength because they got to showcase some relatively unknown villains along side Lex Luthor and the like without heavy hitters like Joker and Twoface showing up every few episodes and taking over the show. There was even a pretty good Booster Gold episode.

khwarezm posted:

The true true strength in the DCAU was Dwayne McDuffie who was heavily involved in some of the best stuff in Justice League (including Hereafter and the whole Cadmus arc) after Timm and Dini had taken a much less involved role in the series, he also was the creator of Static Shock, and then he died :(

I remember really liking the Static Shock cartoon, even if it was usually really heavy-handed with the after school morals sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dwayne McDuffie was a good dude. :(

"In the early 1990s, wanting to express a multicultural sensibility that he felt was missing in comic books, McDuffie and three partners founded Milestone Media, which The Plain Dealer of Cleveland, Ohio, described in 2000 as 'the industry's most successful minority-owned-and operated comic company.' McDuffie explained:

If you do a black character or a female character or an asian character, then they aren't just that character. They represent that race or that sex, and they can't be interesting because everything they do has to represent an entire block of people. You know, Superman isn't all white people and neither is Lex Luthor. We knew we had to present a range of characters within each ethnic group, which means that we couldn't do just one book. We had to do a series of books and we had to present a view of the world that's wider than the world we've seen before."

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

DC fans have got a very selective memory. Bennett said it best in his recent Teen Titans review: Teen Titans fans don't actually want the anime style TT back, they want Batman Beyond. The old Titans tv show was 80% anime inspired cringe from the glut of awful mid 2000s shows brought stateside and 20% Deathstroke propped up by Ron Perlman's performance.

Why haven't we gotten a new Batman Beyond movie or show at this point is beyond(hah) me.

I remember loving TT, but being annoyed by BB because of how whiny and entitled Terry was all the time. The Return of the Joke movie was pretty good, though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm sad Static Shock got mostly slept on, it wasn't 100% gold but what was good was pretty fantastic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah that too. dredd needs a sequel and a new video game.

CYBEReris posted:

I'm sad Static Shock got mostly slept on, it wasn't 100% gold but what was good was pretty fantastic.

i remeber liking that show. I liked when other DC super heros and villans showed up and did cross over stuff.

Asuron posted:

The whole Cadmus arc in JLU was fantastic start to finish, it really felt like the writers got what Superman was supposed to be and what kind of issue powers on that level would cause. They even got you to love The Question, a nobody D List character.

Too bad nothing since The Dark Knight Returns has been any good, with the Killing Joke being one of the worst things I think they've ever put out.

yeah, the dini/tim animated series always get what superman and batman were about and why snyder will never understand them. snyder is an objectivist assclown and he can't comprehend that superman is basicaly the ultimate altruist. he does it because its the right thing to do and because he wants to protect and help people.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Apropos Batman Beyond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Batman Beyond was great, I think what the original quote meant was that Teen Titans was primarily a comedy for young teens, it wasn't generally very serious or dramatic.

I mean this was a show where they had the characters (as a point) never use their real names or change out of their superhero costumes, or have any kind of real world life, they just live as full time superhero's rent free in a magical tower.

This is also why I think TT:GO is better than the original, since all the elements of the original lend themselves so much more easily to the comedy aspects than the serious dramatic ones.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Who wants more EC drama?

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqiift

I'm gonna have to leave this to you guys to explain. I have no idea who this is or who half the people mentioned are. It's just more poo poo this time being laid right at the feet of James Portnow.

I don't know why I keep stumbling on this stuff. :/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KayTee posted:

Who wants more EC drama?

I'm gonna have to leave this to you guys to explain. I have no idea who this is or who half the people mentioned are. It's just more poo poo this time being laid right at the feet of James Portnow.

doesnt surprise me. Portnow did that on purpose. he knew his fanbase bought his "progressiveness" lines hook line and sinker and would assume that if he fired someone for "community violations" it had to be for being a chud and would go apeshit on him. gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 16, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like Batman Beyond was weirdly one of the first places to raise the alarm about those Tranquility Bay-type re-education torture camps for rich teens.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can't wait to see how he handles the legitimate rape scene!

Wait, no, ignorance is bliss!

He will cast himself as the promethean savior rapist. Or it will be Henry Cavil but he’ll imagine it’s him.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The new Big Joel about Shrek is pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDiDqW760co

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

khwarezm posted:

or even What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way? since it was funny to see Superman respond to usual 'You're so boring and safe!' complaint by loving with the guys complaining to the point of pants making GBS threads horror and then going 'Ha, psyche, I'm actually still a boring boy in blue and it's clearly much better off that way'.

Didn't notice it mentioned but "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" got adapted into an animated film called "Superman vs. The Elite", if somebody prefers watching to reading.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

DC fans have got a very selective memory. Bennett said it best in his recent Teen Titans review: Teen Titans fans don't actually want the anime style TT back, they want Batman Beyond. The old Titans tv show was 80% anime inspired cringe from the glut of awful mid 2000s shows brought stateside and 20% Deathstroke propped up by Ron Perlman's performance.

Why haven't we gotten a new Batman Beyond movie or show at this point is beyond(hah) me.

speak for yourself, I love that anime inspired cringe

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KayTee posted:

Who wants more EC drama?

This is some kind of raging poo poo trash fire.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is some kind of raging poo poo trash fire.

it always is apperently, espcialy when a "pillar of the community" ends up being a piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat and all the stuff is slowly dumped. my favorite part so far was some lady talking about how she put up with his awful poo poo because she believed his cause was worth it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

speak for yourself, I love that anime inspired cringe

Beast Boy is way better in GO! than the old show. That said I still think the old show has its place (just not for me, really) and I appreciate how many pisstakes GO! has taken at its expense.
I'm still waiting for Rocksteady to make Arkham Beyond however.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Beast Boy is way better in GO! than the old show. That said I still think the old show has its place (just not for me, really) and I appreciate how many pisstakes GO! has taken at its expense.
I'm still waiting for Rocksteady to make Arkham Beyond however.

I should watch Go sometime but its just not my think, i kinda liked teen titans but i was always more of BTAS and STAS, justice legue fan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The old Titans show isn't bad, really apart from its obnoxious anime trappings it's decent enough programming, but I feel it is misrepresented by its fanbase saying it was always as dark as the Deathstroke episodes, rather than only occasionally being that dark.

Most of the toxicity around the fanbase comes from their reaction to GO! which has come around to a revisionist idea of what the old Titans show really was like. Which is why the GO! episodes about becoming super serious or turning an episode about Slade returning into a lecture on home equity are loving hilarious.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Professional YouTube videogame man? Actually giant creep?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The old Titans show isn't bad, really apart from its obnoxious anime trappings it's decent enough programming, but I feel it is misrepresented by its fanbase saying it was always as dark as the Deathstroke episodes, rather than only occasionally being that dark.

Most of the toxicity around the fanbase comes from their reaction to GO! which has come around to a revisionist idea of what the old Titans show really was like. Which is why the GO! episodes about becoming super serious or turning an episode about Slade returning into a lecture on home equity are loving hilarious.

i would say it wasnt as silly as go, but it was pretty light hearted overall.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I mean nearer to the end it definitely dipped into being much more serious, which I felt was kind of a mistake but still.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I mostly appreciate Teen Titans for introducing me to the Doom Patrol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thompsons posted:

I mean nearer to the end it definitely dipped into being much more serious, which I felt was kind of a mistake but still.

That seems to happen a lot when shows get cancelled. The last season gets experimental because they no longer have to worry about getting renewed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite thing about Teen Titans is that the evil brain in a jar and his talking gorilla boyfriend came closer to winning than Deathstroke and Satan himself.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

That seems to happen a lot when shows get cancelled. The last season gets experimental because they no longer have to worry about getting renewed.

See also the last episodes of The Drew Carey Show, AKA the reason why networks will never renew a program for more than one season at a time.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What happened in the last episodes of The Drew Carey Show?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The original Teen Titans had a lot of wackiness in it, but it also had enough serious stuff to qualify as an action/comedy. Go is pure comedy, or at least that’s what it tries to be.

There were also a couple of direct-to-dvd movies made, which I would recommend checking out if you want something a bit closer to Batman: TAS in tone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bakeneko posted:

The original Teen Titans had a lot of wackiness in it, but it also had enough serious stuff to qualify as an action/comedy. Go is pure comedy, or at least that’s what it tries to be.

There were also a couple of direct-to-dvd movies made, which I would recommend checking out if you want something a bit closer to Batman: TAS in tone.

The DC Animated Movies tend to be standalones unrelated to the television series. The Justice League vs Titans movie was pretty fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DC's animated stuff is still miles ahead of their movies :yikes:

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Jimbot posted:

What happened in the last episodes of The Drew Carey Show?

Mainly the last few seasons in general. Keeping in mind it started as just a silly 90s office comedy, here's the sort of thing that was going on in season 6

quote:

En route to Heaven, a comatose Drew meets his unborn nephew and switches souls with the kid for a quick trip back to Earth. But when he grows tired of being in the body of a baby, Drew must choose between his old life and the afterlife.

ABC made a bit of an oopsie by signing contract deals to provide multiple seasons at a time, meaning that even as the ratings fell off a cliff they were still obligated to air it as the show itself got more and more bonkers.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Drew Carey had a ton of goodwill in it from the couple of live improv episodes they did

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Thompsons posted:

ABC made a bit of an oopsie by signing contract deals to provide multiple seasons at a time, meaning that even as the ratings fell off a cliff they were still obligated to air it as the show itself got more and more bonkers.

The budget also kept shrinking and in the last few seasons they lost almost all of the supporting cast as contracts ended.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The budget also kept shrinking and in the last few seasons they lost almost all of the supporting cast as contracts ended.

I just remember near the end that Carey and co. kind of tried to intentionally destroy the show and all the characters on it. Like how they made Drew an open and proud polygamist after he married both his main love interest and a completely different woman at the same time, like pretty much for no other reason than to make audiences sour on the character and stop watching the show.

Drew really just wanted to move on and get started with Whose Line by the time the Drew Carey Show was winding down and it shows man.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

WB used the show for a few inexplicable promotions for Batman Vs. Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnvy55OaEvs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is probably the best movie DC ever put out and definitely the best Dark Knight-style Batman movie (as opposed to the Adam West movie being the best Caped Crusader).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is probably the best movie DC ever put out and definitely the best Dark Knight-style Batman movie (as opposed to the Adam West movie being the best Caped Crusader).

adam west is second best to kevin conroy. also yeah that movie is amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Phelous reviews yet another Goodtimes adaptation, this one on Snow White.
The amount of Beast Wars references he crams in had me dying.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

adam west is second best to kevin conroy. also yeah that movie is amazing.

I feel like they're not really comparable, they're playing very different characters with some of the same trappings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Something to note about the Teen Titans cartoon is that was created/produced by Glen Murakami, who also worked on Superman TAS and Batman Beyond.

Teen Titans I think was part of the big manga boom of the early-mid 2000s. Remember that the theme song was done by PuffyAmiYumi, and that they had a show on Cartoon Network for a time (Hi Hi PufffyAmiYumi).

EDIT: Also, I remember from some animation podcast I used to listen to some years back that both of those shows came about thanks to Sam Register, who was VP of Cartoon Network around that time.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 17, 2018