Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Yeah speaking of poo poo landlords shaun hannity does that. I wasnt aware that was such a racket but he has like one of the highest eviction rates in the country. He uses some management company that just bullies the gently caress out of people as a matter of course and its apparently pretty profitable if you go big and just hire a lawyer to full time evict everyone for anything at all and laugh at their lawyers who come after you. Like if you fight they just pay up and move on it works more often than not its very profitable. Eventually the attorney general will get fed up with bullshit like that and bar you from the state but they can just fold and rename themselves like they always loving do.

Ocwen did this, barred from doing business in 28 states and counting for illegal forclosures and evictions. The creators of this company are currently serving as the head of sec treasury and sec of commerce steve mnuchin and wilbur ross. Ahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I've had poo poo landlords but my current one cashes my checks, hasn't raised rent, and otherwise never interacts with me in any way and it owns

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.

bag em and tag em posted:

I've had poo poo landlords but my current one cashes my checks, hasn't raised rent, and otherwise never interacts with me in any way and it owns

This is basically the ideal social construct when it comes to renting.

fruity no gay
May 7, 2018

by Cyrano4747
my last landlord i never paid a security deposit and they wrote off(taxes?) all the carpet my cat puked on.

paid $54 on moveout

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

We've been renting this place for 3 years and the landlord just raised the rent by $25/month :mad:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

We've been renting this place for 3 years and the landlord just raised the rent by $25/month :mad:

lol bitch ive lived in my place for six years and have had four $100 rent bumps

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Lol bitch im a sucker

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Chinatown posted:

that sucks!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

im gonna help erect the guillotines soon!!!!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Best renting experience was when we lived in a basement unit. The landlord and her family lived upstairs, but we never heard them (even with two small children and the husband staying home all day) and they never heard us.
Brand new appliances, huge spa style tub with Jets, super thick insulation in the walls an ceiling that was installed before we moved in.
Her husband was from Colombia and would regularly bring us delicious food because he "always makes too much."
That place kicked all sorts of rear end.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wouldn't say it was the best, because the apartment was old and kind of cruddy, but I had a 1st-floor, 1-bedroom apartment literally a stone's throw from the Boston city line for $480 a month, which is just an obscenely low rent for that area in general, much less a walk-in with such an amazing location (dead quiet side street, 2 blocks in either direction from 2 branches of the trains). The landlord barely ever showed up, and the apartment above me was vacant for probably half of the 5-6 years I was there.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I wouldn't say it was the best, because the apartment was old and kind of cruddy, but I had a 1st-floor, 1-bedroom apartment literally a stone's throw from the Boston city line for $480 a month, which is just an obscenely low rent for that area in general, much less a walk-in with such an amazing location (dead quiet side street, 2 blocks in either direction from 2 branches of the trains). The landlord barely ever showed up, and the apartment above me was vacant for probably half of the 5-6 years I was there.

Beware first floor apartments. If there's a main sewer backup you're the one that gets all the poo poo. Just something to keep in mind.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Honky Dong Country posted:

Beware first floor apartments. If there's a main sewer backup you're the one that gets all the poo poo.

Break-ins and peeping toms too

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Most home invasions are dudes just shoving right into your front door but yeah it is harder for some dude to bash in your window for a conventional break in if you're not on ground level.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bugs like fleas and poo poo get in more easily too.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's prolly my brief stint in plumbing/sewer work speaking but honestly I worry more about my place getting flooded with the whole building's collective poo poo than I do breakins and bugs and stuff.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

DogonCrook posted:

Yeah speaking of poo poo landlords shaun hannity does that. I wasnt aware that was such a racket but he has like one of the highest eviction rates in the country. He uses some management company that just bullies the gently caress out of people as a matter of course and its apparently pretty profitable if you go big and just hire a lawyer to full time evict everyone for anything at all and laugh at their lawyers who come after you. Like if you fight they just pay up and move on it works more often than not its very profitable. Eventually the attorney general will get fed up with bullshit like that and bar you from the state but they can just fold and rename themselves like they always loving do.

Ocwen did this, barred from doing business in 28 states and counting for illegal forclosures and evictions. The creators of this company are currently serving as the head of sec treasury and sec of commerce steve mnuchin and wilbur ross. Ahahaha.

I heard something similar from a maintenance guy about the last people i rented from: Elon Management.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Me and two buddies were renting this house for about 5 years. Decided to call it quits when one of them got engaged and just stopped coming back to the house one day bat to pick up his TV and Xbox.

Put in our 4 week notice. 2 weeks later its my birthday and we have a bit of a party. Nothing wild, but y'know, the next day there's tins and pizza boxes all over the floor, I'm hung over in me undies playing XBox. The door goes and there's some sleazy kid in a suit, real Patrick Bateman yuppy vibe to him and he says he's there on behalf of the landlady to asses the house. I tell him we haven't been informed of this and it wasn't a good time, but between feeling rough as a dog's arsehole and him all but insinuating he'd break in with a spare key regardless I just let him do his thing.

Goes around snapping pictures of the house in a state of semi-abandonment with all this party debris over the place making these passive-aggressive, "Oooh, that doesn't look good, does it?" remarks. Well, whatever, the pictures will look bad but we're working men in our late thirties, we're not kidders and by the time we do leave the house is spotless, we shampooed the carpets and all that. Whatever.

Didn't hear back from the landlady. Didn't get the deposit back (but I reckoned they'd find some excuse anyway so I always saw that as a write-off anyway.

Until about 4 months later. We received an e-mail from the landlady's representative saying we owe 5000 quid's worth in damages. and that the entire bathroom needs replacing. He also included HER e-mail which read like something from an abuse trial. She was pouring her heart out about how horrified she'd been when she went around to view the house after we'd been there. How traumatised she'd been and how she may never rent the place out again and the like. Either we pay up immediately or we'd be taken to court. Absolutely no idea what she's talking about. Some of the sealing around the tub had come away, that's all I can think about when it comes to the bathroom. five grand ON TOP of the grand deposit too, by the way.

We get together to talk about it and the lad who had moved out told us it was an old trick. It was about 2 months to Christmas and he reckoned she was just trying to get a few quid out of us, hoping we'd cave and just hand over the dosh so she could get some Christmas shopping done. We decided to ignore them until we got a proper summons from the court which never appeared.

Until the end it was fine though. Never even saw her, but then out of nowhere. BAM! Tries to rinse us for 5 grand. Scum.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Everyone walking their dogs looked into my apartment. There was one dude at 9 am every morning that would just sit there with his pitpull just peering in for 15 seconds. It was weird

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honky Dong Country posted:

Beware first floor apartments. If there's a main sewer backup you're the one that gets all the poo poo. Just something to keep in mind.

Thankfully that never happened, the bathtub did fall through the floor at one point though!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

There were bars on the windows, but they were incredibly unnecessary. I often left my front door unlocked if I was just going to the sueprmarket or laundromat. I actually literally cannot remember a police car ever being on my street in the 5ish years I was there!

COMRADES posted:

Bugs like fleas and poo poo get in more easily too.

This was the one big thing - my cat got fleas twice and it loving suuuucked. All other intruders fell victim to the centipedes though. They were loving terrifying, but I never had ants/spiders/roaches/anything else.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Drunken Baker posted:

I tell him we haven't been informed of this and it wasn't a good time, but between feeling rough as a dog's arsehole and him all but insinuating he'd break in with a spare key regardless

if he did this you would be legally entitled to physically remove this trespasser. i would have relished the opportunity, i don't know why you didn't let him try

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Rutibex posted:

if he did this you would be legally entitled to physically remove this trespasser. i would have relished the opportunity, i don't know why you didn't let him try

I know! Even moreso with everything else that would come, too. I just wanted to get back to dying on the couch though.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Do it ironically posted:

ive never felt sad and never will for any landlord who gets their property destroyed

landlords are loving scum of the earth, and i revel in sad loving sob stories of landlords crying about their "hardships"

I understand this sentiment but the majority of homes my family owns were blighted out pieces of poo poo that I and a crew made rehabitable so it sucks to see when you personally did joist repairs, put in new kitchens, redid plumbing etc all for it to get shat on. It's like some people want houses to naturally be shitholes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Chinatown posted:

drat, son. I lived in my old apt for four years. When my one year lease was ending, the company sent me a letter saying I could re-sign for a year for X% increase, go six months at a higher % increase, or go month to month at like, a 10% increase.

I never responded to the letter. My rent never increased.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
harsh but fair

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

comedyblissoption posted:

only $4000-$6000 for all that trouble makes me think they'd just keep threatening their tenants and treating them like trash

Oh I'm positive they will, but I got quadruple my money back and cost them a bunch of money in lawyers fees so whatever. Also I told a bunch of people that still live there what happens so hopefully at least the neighbors I was friends with get their money back as well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I first moved out of my parents house I moved into an apartment complex where they would accept checks early but not cash them until the end of the month. Like they would have a date you needed to have a check for them but they wouldn’t cash it until later because they knew some people (like me at 18) would only get paid at the end of the month. It was obviously because they were aware most of us were poor and they had a guarantee of payment over our head that they could sue over if we didn’t actually have the funds

Well one of the days they cashed the check mid month days after I put it in and it was a disaster and the poor new accountant guy dealing with their poo poo had no idea and was wide eyed and emotional about it while I was almost crying and he obviously felt like poo poo cause I was like $1200 in the hole and couldn’t afford food or anything

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Didn't you feel free though

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Honestly sometimes renters and landlords deserve each other.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im the lease holder and i sublet so im kind of like a middle man landlord

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aesop Poprock posted:

When I first moved out of my parents house I moved into an apartment complex where they would accept checks early but not cash them until the end of the month. Like they would have a date you needed to have a check for them but they wouldn’t cash it until later because they knew some people (like me at 18) would only get paid at the end of the month. It was obviously because they were aware most of us were poor and they had a guarantee of payment over our head that they could sue over if we didn’t actually have the funds

Well one of the days they cashed the check mid month days after I put it in and it was a disaster and the poor new accountant guy dealing with their poo poo had no idea and was wide eyed and emotional about it while I was almost crying and he obviously felt like poo poo cause I was like $1200 in the hole and couldn’t afford food or anything

that's a poo poo situation but if I'd been one of your neighbors I'd have been complaining about them not cashing my check for a month

having a bunch of floating checks is bad when you're poor, you get in trouble with overdrafts or even worse. if they get cashed in the wrong order you might have someone come after you for writing bad checks. so they really weren't doing the tenants any favors IMO.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Lamebot posted:

I heard something similar from a maintenance guy about the last people i rented from: Elon Management.

Lol these people are loving scum too.

" Ex-employee this is the facts about this company Elon Slumlords is what they are. They treat employees unfaily speak to resident any bad way possible all they want is the money. The company will not repair fix anything in the units some units have bad roof issues to the point rain water is on the residents bed, how bad is that? All the properties are below 79% they charge late fees on the second no greace period on top of $2.00 per day which is illegal. Higher management will speak talk down on employees (EEOC) they do things under the table, they tell you to lie about numbers when processing application credit report input incorrect information just to move that resident in.

Some residents files have no signed contract the company don't have legal leases, the residents employment verification forms incomplete upper managment will tell you to put something together. This has to be the worst company I've ever worked for and will never work for ever again!"

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!
I pay rent in cash, don't have a lease, my landlord is an old guidance counselor named Dennis

I can pay late if my paychecks come at a weird time, he only shows up to grab money or fix stuff, and he doesn't care what we do as long as we try to keep down on rodents

the place is a weird former punk house, and some of the old housemates were kinda lovely, but also I was homeless before I moved in 2.5 years ago and it's been pretty loving sweet since

find rooms in house show kinda houses y'all, they're dirt cheap and always interesting

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Where I live there’s a shortage of housing so naturally landlords/Property managers have started putting on tenancy application forms essentially a ‘how much rent are you willing to pay to secure this property (above the advertised p/w rent)’ line in order to extract maximum money from desperate people/families

I know good one exist but gently caress landlords

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So finished cleaning up today, looks like some water must have leaked in from somewhere because everything in the spare bedroom closet was wet and had mold on it. I'm really glad their housing structure allowed us to live in such quality. They will probably charge us for that too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyO7_Y2pNc

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Update: they charged me $300 for cleaning the apartment and some new blinds.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Over There posted:

Update: they charged me $300 for cleaning the apartment and some new blinds.

Does that mean you got everything else back? I haven't read anything but part of the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Rock Puncher posted:

Does that mean you got everything else back? I haven't read anything but part of the op

Yeah just got a check for $500 back

• Locked thread