Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm hoping they meet an alien in space, and that the alien they meet is Killface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Archer only has one more season, but The Archer and Killface show has about 9 more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sterling is like a more intelligent Xander Crews.

Shame there aren't any more seasons after the next. Archer as superheroes could be good

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Sterling is like a more intelligent Xander Crews.

Shame there aren't any more seasons after the next. Archer as superheroes could be good

Reed has said there's a possibility the show may continue now. We really have no idea.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Liked this season more than last pretty handily. I think it's just a better setting though.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I am usually a sucker for detective noir, but yeah, last season didn't do much for me. Whereas this season had Crackers and he was great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I realise I'm in a minority but I actually really like Cyril. As a character. And I think he'd shown actual growth over the course of the show, and the only thing I haven't liked the last couple of years has been that he's basically been a different character. A fun one, but not the same guy. I would like to see him be himself again. ...though it's really funny that Archer hates him enough to make him a Nazi.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like Cyril too and while he's got major faults I never hated him enough to agree with him being an actual Nazi. They could have at least gone the more morally ambiguous route. He doesn't have the makings of a true believer

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like Cyril too and while he's got major faults I never hated him enough to agree with him being an actual Nazi. They could have at least gone the more morally ambiguous route. He doesn't have the makings of a true believer

He was *really* upset when he found out Krieger was probably a Nazi.

What's weird is I *hated* him the first time I watched through the show. He made me furious. Then I watched again and realised he's just got more normal human faults than the rest of that merry band of fuckups.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Dug the season and on board for Archer IN SPACE. Have they spoken to whether or not they'll ever go back to the original setting? I was hoping we'd at least get a Six Feet Under wrap up for the characters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think I might like the previous season even less than season 5 but it's close either way. Vice had a really good 4 part finale plus some other good episodes but I struggle to even remember what happened in 8. Also both 4 and 6 are looking a whole hell of a lot better in retrospect.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Small White Dragon posted:

Sooooo Archer: Aliens?

The "opening" shot was pure Star Wars, with the long panning shot along the underside of a passing space ship a la "A New Hope" but yea, the ship's interior is definitely Aliens. It'll probably just be a mash up of different sci-fi stuff, though the 70's retro-futuristic aesthetic Aliens has with clunky CRT monitors everywhere is more Archer anyway and will probably be the dominating one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tsob posted:

The "opening" shot was pure Star Wars, with the long panning shot along the underside of a passing space ship a la "A New Hope" but yea, the ship's interior is definitely Aliens. It'll probably just be a mash up of different sci-fi stuff, though the 70's retro-futuristic aesthetic Aliens has with clunky CRT monitors everywhere is more Archer anyway and will probably be the dominating one.

The opening pan struck me more as the Nostromo fly-by from Alien. As soon as it started I pegged it immediately as Alien since it was a more or less shot for shot recreation of the opening.

However the credits were using the LCARS UI from ST:NG.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Also, Nostromo's computer was nicknamed Mother, although I didn't get the floating orb part.

And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was an intentional link between Mecha-Fuchs and Ripley piloting the loader in Aliens. For a second I even considered the similarity between falling into lava and the furnace scene in Alien 3, but that one's clearly LotR-inspired plus most people hate Alien 3.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Proteus Jones posted:

The opening pan struck me more as the Nostromo fly-by from Alien.

By the opening I meant just the shot of the ship exterior passing over head. I forgot Alien even had a similar external shot of the Nostromo before cutting to the interior. After re-watching it, it's definitely based on Alien yea; even the external shot of the ship flying over the camera is in total silence. It does make me wonder if that opening pan isn't based on the opening pan of the Star Destroyer in A New Hope though, since it came out two years before hand.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

HopperUK posted:

He was *really* upset when he found out Krieger was probably a Nazi.

What's weird is I *hated* him the first time I watched through the show. He made me furious. Then I watched again and realised he's just got more normal human faults than the rest of that merry band of fuckups.
I liked Cyril from the beginning because it always seemed like he was a fairly normal guy(who needs a penis ensmallment) that kept getting abuse from his workplace and started to crack. I didn't like when he started getting all "Nice Guy", but I guess I understand being miffed when your psuedo-girlfriend tells you she's pregnant with someone else's baby.
One thing that's sort of clear is that it if this is really Archer's coma dream, then he really has some strong dislike of Cyril.

But, in bigger news...Archer: Aliens! Who's going to be chest-bursted and will we see the return of Mitsuko Miyazumi(who's name I had to google)?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

Mitsuko Miyazumi

ahahaha i never knew she was voiced by Judy Greer

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Postal Parcel posted:

I liked Cyril from the beginning because it always seemed like he was a fairly normal guy(who needs a penis ensmallment) that kept getting abuse from his workplace and started to crack. I didn't like when he started getting all "Nice Guy", but I guess I understand being miffed when your psuedo-girlfriend tells you she's pregnant with someone else's baby.

He was becoming a cheating dick well before Lana got pregnant, and blaming his cheating on basically everything bar himself. I like Cyril, but I like him as a "relatively normal guy constantly squashed under everyone else's heel and then going crazy at any sniff of power himself because he's so sick of being poo poo on". Him being a "nice guy" kind of makes sense in that he just doesn't want to face up to his own failings so he starts putting it on other people while building a facade of himself as an oppressed but actually nice person who's just caught in lovely circumstances all the time. He kind of reminds me of Rimmer from Red Dwarf in that regard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tsob posted:

He was becoming a cheating dick well before Lana got pregnant, and blaming his cheating on basically everything bar himself. I like Cyril, but I like him as a "relatively normal guy constantly squashed under everyone else's heel and then going crazy at any sniff of power himself because he's so sick of being poo poo on". Him being a "nice guy" kind of makes sense in that he just doesn't want to face up to his own failings so he starts putting it on other people while building a facade of himself as an oppressed but actually nice person who's just caught in lovely circumstances all the time. He kind of reminds me of Rimmer from Red Dwarf in that regard.

Yes! Exactly. He feels very well-realised as someone who had a horrendously over-critical parent and now deals with any criticism by either being crushed, or deflecting, or both. He's a lot like Rimmer who was also my favourite person in Red Dwarf, so maybe I just enjoy that character, I dunno. I enjoyed seeing him start to get his feet under him a bit, start to get slowly a bit more confidence, easing back from some of his more repulsive behaviour.

I think Archer hates Cyril so much because he's a personal threat, rather than a professional one. And possibly because he's jealous of Cyril's big willy. Men are very mysterious.

e: It was also very noticeable this year that everyone reacted to Fuchs with instant hostility and contempt before he'd had a chance to earn it, which in context of Archer's feelings is hilarious and I'm honestly not complaining

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 16, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

tsob posted:

By the opening I meant just the shot of the ship exterior passing over head. I forgot Alien even had a similar external shot of the Nostromo before cutting to the interior. After re-watching it, it's definitely based on Alien yea; even the external shot of the ship flying over the camera is in total silence. It does make me wonder if that opening pan isn't based on the opening pan of the Star Destroyer in A New Hope though, since it came out two years before hand.

Star Wars was definitely an influence on Alien. Scott himself said the "used" look of Star Wars made him completely rethink the look of Alien. So that was certainly a homage

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HopperUK posted:

It was also very noticeable this year that everyone reacted to Fuchs with instant hostility and contempt before he'd had a chance to earn it, which in context of Archer's feelings is hilarious and I'm honestly not complaining

Lana was quite cozy with him prior to realizing she was probably being scammed since Fuchs hadn't paid her, and several other characters were fairly neutral to him initially; like Mallory and Rey. Sheryl was more against him because he was kind of a douche to her when she was having dinner with him, using cheesy lines about how he was going to eat her or something that just made her roll her eyes and use sarcasm on him. Really, I don't think anyone's treatment of him was unearned.

The fact Cyril's analogue in this season is German probably made him less likable to a lot of the cast anyway, given the more definite time period and recent history with both World War I only 20 years ago and Germany currently antagonizing a lot of Europe in the build up to World War II. Even insulated as whatever Pacific island they're on is, a lot of the cast seemed somewhat up to do on recent news so likely to hold Germans somewhat in contempt just for their nationality rather than based on any personal feelings.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 16, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tsob posted:

Lana was quite cozy with him prior to realizing she was probably being scammed since Fuchs hadn't paid her, and several other characters were fairly neutral to him initially; like Mallory and Rey. Sheryl was more against him because he was kind of a douche to her when she was having dinner with him, using cheesy lines about how he was going to eat her or something that just made her roll her eyes and use sarcasm on him. Really, I don't think anyone's treatment of him was unearned.

The fact Cyril's analogue in this season is German probably made him less likable to a lot of the cast anyway, given the more definite time period and recent history with both World War I only 20 years ago and Germany currently antagonizing a lot of Europe in the build up to World War II. Even insulated as whatever Pacific island they're on is, a lot of the cast seemed somewhat up to do on recent news so likely to hold Germans somewhat in contempt just for their nationality rather than based on any personal feelings.

That's fair! Oh no what a shame, I need to watch again.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

tsob posted:

That you mention that is kind of interesting because there was a scene where Archer and Lana were talking about cheating. I can't remember the exact context, but I think it was in regards of getting back together?
A: Cyril cheated on you
L: So did you
A: Yeah, but with super models and stuff. He slept with Carol
L: They're the same thing...actually it was much, much worse

I always wondered if Lana was (more)okay with Archer's cheating because he was aiming for "high feats", because he didn't ask for forgiveness(or at least charmed his way out of it), or because Cyril seemed genuinely nice versus Archer who you could tell was a bit of a douche.

Let's also not forget that Lana, while still together with Cyril, did have a 3-way with Archer and Yacht-dude without telling anyone else about it.

All that aside, that office was a cesspit of interoffice romance. Outside of Krieger, I think everyone had sex with at least one other person in the office.

quote:

"relatively normal guy constantly squashed under everyone else's heel and then going crazy at any sniff of power himself because he's so sick of being poo poo on"
I 100% agree with this though. It's pretty funny to see him finally get some authority(e.g. Figgis Detective Agency), feel as if he's in control, and then get squashed by the real big dog, Mallory.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Outside of Krieger, I think everyone had sex with at least one other person in the office.

I 100% agree with this though. It's pretty funny to see him finally get some authority(e.g. Figgis Detective Agency), feel as if he's in control, and then get squashed by the real big dog, Mallory.

Hell almost everyone in that office has had sex with Cyril. Mostly under some kind of duress. :D

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Postal Parcel posted:

That you mention that is kind of interesting because there was a scene where Archer and Lana were talking about cheating. I can't remember the exact context, but I think it was in regards of getting back together?

I always wondered if Lana was (more)okay with Archer's cheating because he was aiming for "high feats", because he didn't ask for forgiveness(or at least charmed his way out of it), or because Cyril seemed genuinely nice versus Archer who you could tell was a bit of a douche.

Let's also not forget that Lana, while still together with Cyril, did have a 3-way with Archer and Yacht-dude without telling anyone else about it.

All that aside, that office was a cesspit of interoffice romance. Outside of Krieger, I think everyone had sex with at least one other person in the office.

Pam had sex with pretty much everybody.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Postal Parcel posted:

Lana presumably justified the thing with Scorpio as just part of the job; even though she was dragging out the job itself for way longer than it actually took simply because she liked hanging around on his yacht living in the lap of luxury. She seems to have tolerated Archer cheating both because she kind of expected it and just saw it as part of his character, something she'd have to deal with in return for whatever she did like about him originally as well as because Archer just didn't seem to see it as something wrong as such. He knew socially it was wrong and tried to cover it or excuse it, but like you said, he never asked for forgiveness and just seemed to see it as something that was okay despite also knowing it was something he shouldn't do by normal social standards. I suspect you're right that she she expected more of Cyril, so she found his betrayal worse because Cyril was the "safe, boring, not-Archer" she had set up in her mind so when she found out he was kind of like Archer in one of the ways she least liked it hit worse than it ever did for Archer himself.

HopperUK posted:

Hell almost everyone in that office has had sex with Cyril. Mostly under some kind of duress. :D

I remember him loving Carol/Cheryl, Lana, Mallory and Rey at the very least. Has Pam ever had sex with him? Is it just Archer and Kreiger who haven't?

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 17, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tsob posted:

I remember him loving Carol/Cheryl, Lana, Mallory and Rey at the very least. Has Pam ever had sex with him? Is it just Archer and Kreiger who haven't?

Pam was riding him while he was unconscious in the bathroom, same incident when Ray got molesty with him. I think it's just Archer and Krieger, yeah.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pam's been with everyone but Cheryl. Cheryl is just missing Pam and Mallory (but adds Barry and Conway). Cyril's just the women and Ray.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Azhais posted:

Pam's been with everyone but Cheryl. Cheryl is just missing Pam and Mallory (but adds Barry and Conway). Cyril's just the women and Ray.

I wonder does Adam Reed have a sex bingo card or something similar for each character? Pam really should sleep with Cheryl at some point before the show ends, just to complete the set. Even if it's in one of Archer's coma dreams.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Azhais posted:

I was trying to remember if Pam and Cheryl had knocked boots. It seems like something that would happen casually with no fanfare because both wouldn't think anything of it, or anyone would think of anything. They did have some gently caress me eyes during the Vice season.

Though there could have been a giant orgy that had happened at some point that everyone refuses to talk about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I was trying to remember if Pam and Cheryl had knocked boots. It seems like something that would happen casually with no fanfare because both wouldn't think anything of it, or anyone would think of anything. They did have some gently caress me eyes during the Vice season.

Though there could have been a giant orgy that had happened at some point that everyone refuses to talk about.

If I’m remembering correctly, didn’t Pam watch Cheryl and Cyril go at it while leaving a deuce in the toilet during the episode with the zeppelin?

(Also, “nice read, Velma” is still the funniest line in the series)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Azhais posted:

It's implied that something may have happened between them and/or Mallory and/or Roy when they were doing that whole open marriage thing.

I just hope Pam/Mallory/Roy got tested afterwards since Cheryl is known to be a bit of a chlamyd-idot.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Well I mean Pam and Cheryl have hidden inside lockers and chests and car trunks together to get onto missions a few times. gotta do something while they're waiting in there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dmitri-9 posted:

Metric or imperial?

Isn't a Tonne metric?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rocksicles posted:

Isn't a Tonne metric?

A tonne is often referred to as a metric ton.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I believe the correct nomenclature is "a metric gently caress tonne".

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Postal Parcel posted:

She's more forgiving of Archer because she's codependent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, who's going to be the secret android next season?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Could Barry show up as the ship robo from the start perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Great way to parody Ripley's hatred of androids