Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Mindcharm! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Gamebook, Dever. Gamebook.

Wait and see.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Mindcharm! :psyboom:

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

nelson posted:

Hah, I'd like that on a half bad roll instead of charming someone we'd give them a headspolison.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

nelson posted:

These are not the victims you're looking for. Kika will do fine.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Banditry shall not be tolerated. Arrow at the leader!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Are they planning to ambush us or someone else? Let's wait and see who.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
charm the mind

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Let’s wait a few seconds.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Mikl posted:

Gamebook, Dever. Gamebook.
Probably it was in the period when Dever was trying to become not only a gamebook writer, but a novel author. So his gamebook become less about possibilities and more about narrative. Losing a lot in the process.

nelson posted:

This.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The_White_Crane posted:

These are not the victims you're looking for. Kika will do fine.
One of those powers that seems so useful you wonder why Lone Wolf isn't using it all the time.

The Legacy of Vashna posted:

You focus on the brigand leader as you whisper the words of the Brotherhood Spell Mind Charm. You will him to send away his henchmen and, when he is alone, you close in on him from behind without making a sound.

Curing: +1 EP (37/39).

Like a fleeting shadow, you move through the undergrowth towards the brigand leader. As you draw closer, you hear him cursing the incompetence of his men and you see him beating his clenched fist on the trunk of the fallen bough in frustration. Then you leap upon him, covering his mouth with one hand and locking his arm behind his back with the other. He growls and struggles like an angry bear to break free from your grip, but when you whisper a threat in his ear he quickly ceases to resist. Suddenly his nerve seems to break and he begins to whimper like a frightened puppy. You ease your hand away from his mouth just enough so that he can speak and at once he pleads with you not to kill him. He offers you the contents of his satchel and free passage away from here if you will promise not to harm him.

Curing: +1 EP (38/39).
Do we take the deal or interrogate him?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Uhhhhh..... how is interrogating him mutually exclusive to taking his deal anyway?

I'm gonna go with kill interrogate

Also "we have a boat and wish to use it" for some reason makes me think of one of the old Asterix comics where a dude rows so fast that the oars are just a giant circular blur and the boat is leaned way the hell over on its rear end

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Uhhhhh..... how is interrogating him mutually exclusive to taking his deal anyway?

Interrogate.

nelson fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 16, 2018

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Interrogate.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Enhanced interrogate

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
We don't make deals with terrorists brigands

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Interrogate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You hold the brigand in a vice-tight armlock and demand to know who sent him here to ambush you.

‘No one sent me,’ he pleads, ‘no one … no one at all. I was plannin’ on robbin’ me a few acolytes, that’s all. Some of ’em has gold and trinkets that’s worth cash in Vakovar. This trail’s been good to me. It’s netted me some rich pickin’s in the past month or so. We weren’t after you in partic’lar … No, you jus’ happened to come ridin’ past, that’s all.’

Your Kai senses inform you that he is speaking the truth. He and his band of robbers have been waylaying Acolytes of Vashna who have travelled this route over the past few weeks. Without slackening your grip, you ask him what he knows about them.

‘They been preparin’ something, over on the … ’ he says, but he ceases to speak the moment he sees a group of his men emerge from the surrounding pines.

‘You’re in for it now,’ he hisses. ‘My men are goin’ to do for you good an’ proper.’

Another six of the captain’s men step from out of the trees and begin to move towards you, their swords held ready to strike. Rather than stay and fight them, you shove the captain away and take to your heels, pausing only to snatch up his satchel as you make your escape.

Screaming curses and promising you a slow death, the captain scrambles to his feet and leads his men in a chase, but you are soon lost among the dense pines and, reluctantly, he orders his henchmen to give up the pursuit.

Curing: +1 EP (39/39).

When you sense it is safe to do so, you stop to catch your breath and examine the contents of the satchel, which you empty out onto the ground. It contains the following items:

• 80 Gold Crowns
  • Enough food for 3 Meals
  • Quiver (containing 3 Arrows)
  • Bottle of Wine
  • Spyglass
  • Ruby Ring
If you wish to keep any of the above, remember to adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

The area is alive with bandits and you are forced to flee northwards, away from the place where you left Bracer tethered to a tree. You are anxious for his safety and mindful that there are still many miles to be covered before you reach Lake Vorndarol, but you dare not turn back for him. Then you hear something that makes you halt in your tracks: it is the sound of a horse whinnying.

Your keen Kai senses detect the warm scent of horse flesh on the air, mingling with the sharp tang of the surrounding pine trees. Hopeful that it is Bracer, escaped from the brigands and come to find you, you push through the densely-packed trees until you stumble upon a clearing. Here you discover that it is not Bracer after all; you have found the brigands’ horses.

They are unguarded and you cannot sense their owners close by, but even so you take every care not to startle them. Silently you untether one of the stallions and lead him away from the rest of the horses, along a trail which is covered with fresh tracks, and soon you come to a wider trail which winds away to the north. Here you mount the horse and set off along this rocky trail, but you have gone little more than half a mile when you smell something that makes you rein your new horse to a halt. From a wooded gully away to your right you detect the scent of death being carried on the afternoon breeze.
  1. Do we take any of the bandit's stuff?
  2. Shall we investigate the gully or ignore it and ride on?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

1. Do we take any of the bandit's stuff?
  2. Shall we investigate the gully or ignore it and ride on?

Top off the arrows and the gold. Grab the ruby ring bling. Investigate!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Tempted by the spyglass too, but don't we have telescopic vision at this point?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

nelson posted:

And chug the wine.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

nelson posted:

Mikl posted:

And chug the wine.
I agree.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hate to say this, but nothing sounds useful! Take nothing and investigate!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Hate to say this, but nothing sounds useful!

Arrows are always useful.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The many times we have been forced to put away our Bow after drawing it or our arrows have bounced off an enemy without doing damage recently say otherwise.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

‘You’re in for it now,’ he hisses. ‘My men are goin’ to do for you good an’ proper.’

Another six of the captain’s men step from out of the trees and begin to move towards you, their swords held ready to strike. Rather than stay and fight them, you shove the captain away and take to your heels, pausing only to snatch up his satchel as you make your escape.

Lone Wolf posted:

Kai Grand Master you may be, but fighting six half-trained bandits? No, that would be suicide. Though they may continue to prey on unsuspecting travellers, pillaging and murdering without compunction, you can't risk your valuable life against such overwhelming odds.

Lone Wolf you rear end in a top hat.

Take arrows, gold, ruby ring, investigate.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The_White_Crane posted:

Lone Wolf you rear end in a top hat.

Eh, the more Acolytes of Vashna they rob and murder, the fewer we have to deal with. We should swear them in as honorary Kai.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Hate to say this, but nothing sounds useful! Take nothing and investigate!

Comstar posted:

Investigate!
Even if it's not useful, what's the down side to taking stuff? We could always throw it away later if we find something more useful.

The horse refuses to approach the trees so you dismount and tether him to a boulder before investigating the wooded gully on foot. Beyond the perimeter of trees you discover a clearing where a score of shallow graves are clustered in a circle. You scrape away some of the stones and earth from the nearest grave and uncover the corpse of a man clad in mouldering red robes. A black hood trimmed with skeletal insignia identifies him to have once been an Acolyte of Vashna. He and his brothers were attacked, robbed, and murdered by the brigands when they passed this way some weeks earlier. This clearing is where they disposed of the bodies.
Do we search the body or just leave?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Can we vote to make it a standing order to always search bodies ?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Can we vote to make it a standing order to always search bodies ?
Sure. Votes for/against.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

for, obviously

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Against

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Search the body.
Vote for always search the bodies.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
For. I don’t think Dever ever booby traps a body, though I could be wrong.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tiggum posted:

Sure. Votes for/against.

always be looting why is this even being put to the vote at this stage, I don't think we've ever elected not to loot

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Materant posted:

always be looting why is this even being put to the vote at this stage, I don't think we've ever elected not to loot

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

achtungnight posted:

The many times we have been forced to put away our Bow after drawing it or our arrows have bounced off an enemy without doing damage recently say otherwise.

Between adventures we are compiling the Kai Bestiary of Creatures Immune to Arrows. Arrows are always useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Sure. Votes for/against.

For.
Corpse-plunder is the best kind of plunder.