Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The look of the game committee should call this one off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

spamman posted:

That was an appalling half of footy.

Still more entertaining than the loving soccer, bunch of blokes walking around rolling the ball back and forth to each other, I had forgotten how truely boring that sport is. Plus all the flopping after light body contact is embarrassing to watch.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Spedman posted:

Still more entertaining than the loving soccer, bunch of blokes walking around rolling the ball back and forth to each other, I had forgotten how truely boring that sport is. Plus all the flopping after light body contact is embarrassing to watch.

Yeah I’m out. Time to just play vidya games with dorks vs cows in the background

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Literally the only good part of soccer is that I’m now aware there is a show starring JK Simmons as two versions of the same guy from alternate dimensions

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

Literally the only good part of soccer is that I’m now aware there is a show starring JK Simmons as two versions of the same guy from alternate dimensions

That looks like a good show.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Spoilers! gently caress!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Counterpart has been out a few months and it is indeed a loving good show.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good to see this thread devolve into lovely sokkah takes.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Badelaide

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Quantum Shart posted:

Good to see this thread devolve into lovely sokkah takes.

No such thing as a non-lovely soccer take, it’s bad

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
lol if you've chosen soccer or hawks v crowse over the rugby

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
What a poo poo game

Hawks can't even beat Adelaide by 90+ points

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Adelaide was next level horrible

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Crows of the last month is the worst Crows team I have ever seen

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

racing identity posted:

Too young for Robert Shaw?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

racing identity posted:

I think you're right. Even under Ayres they weren't that bad.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I watched the soccer mostly. Was glad to see Hawthorn put on five goals during the HT break in Kazan though.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The earliest I can remember is about 2002 and thismust surely be the worst.

I think a lot of it comes down to conditioning. A lot of guys are either playing injured or aren't match fit. They dont have the legs to chase and tackle, to spread when they've got the ball, or to execute skills when they have the ball.

The solution to which is of course to fire Brett Burton into the sun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

that Saints comeback was something else. It's good to see them put the intensity and ball usage together, but also get the feeling "well why can't they do that for all four quarters of the game?" Ah well. I'll take the improvements as they come.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

harperdc posted:

that Saints comeback was something else. It's good to see them put the intensity and ball usage together, but also get the feeling "well why can't they do that for all four quarters of the game?" Ah well. I'll take the improvements as they come.

It was more a reflection on how bad the Suns are. Over the last 4 games the Suns have kicked a total of 2 points in the fourth quarter. That's not an exaggeration. The Saints had almost nothing to do with it, the Suns just completely disappear in last quarters.

This is why the win means absolutely nothing beyond delaying the inevitable downfall of Richo's coaching career.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

Former St Kilda captain Danny Frawley has revealed a massive issue with the VFL Women’s competition that is causing friction between clubs.

According to Frawley, the newly reworked state league doesn’t have any kind of salary cap and this means players are getting more money in VFLW than they are in AFLW.

“I’m led to believe there’s a lot of money being paid in the VFLW competition,” he told the AFL Nation pregame show.

“A lot of AFLW players are getting coaxed by VFLW teams and offered maybe more than they’d get in the AFLW.

“There’s girls at Hawthorn on 20,000 to 30,000 for example.

“The money these girls are getting, I’ve got no issue with it, but there’s no salary cap, that’s all I’m saying.”

Frawley said this free-for-all system is killing some of the older clubs of the competition as AFL and VFL teams use their resources to horde AFLW standard players.

“Clubs are just grabbing cash from a sponsor and trying to have an AFLW standard team in," he said.

“Darebin is really struggling, Melbourne University was a great club and now they’re being phased out by the AFL clubs and VFL clubs.

“The AFLW has a salary cap, yet the VFLW hasn’t and there’s a lot of poaching going on.”

Several VFLW teams lost their licenses this year including Seaford, Diamond Creek, the Eastern Devils and the St Kilda Sharks.

They’ve been replaced by a number of AFL owned teams including Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and others, as well as VFL side Williamstown.

The change caused a number of players to leave teams they’d been representing for a long time, while others chose to skip the competition all together to recover from back-to-back VFLW/AFLW seasons across 2016, 2017 and early 2018.

This, along with jobs for the girls to get them at clubs in the AFLW, need to be fixed.

Pay the women 30k+ for the AFLW season, lengthen it, introduce a cap for the VFLW. I agree, it is good some are getting paid in the VFLW, but it is essentially player payments outside the aflw cap space.Of course, some VFLW teams dont' have an AFLW team yet, but yeah...

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

Rumours going around the past few weeks of Billings to Carlton... but perhaps todays performance by both teams will have averted that.

If he is gonna leave the Saints it absolutely wont be to a team doing as badly/worse then us. I wouldn't be surprised a mid tier team throwing money at him as I think he would play a lot better in a more competitive team.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Soccer at the Great Northern was a fuckload better than the weird steampunk/S&M thing a mate of mine dragged me to later on

I had a real poo poo Saturday night holy gently caress

Edit: there were lots of frenchies at the northern so that was funny

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 17, 2018

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Nutsngum posted:

If he is gonna leave the Saints it absolutely wont be to a team doing as badly/worse then us. I wouldn't be surprised a mid tier team throwing money at him as I think he would play a lot better in a more competitive team.

Didn't he grow up supporting Essendon? I bet they'd be keen.

Pls stay, Jack.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don’t understand how every soccer fan isn’t terminally embarrassed by what a bunch of staging cunts every single team is

That’s why I liked Kevin Muscat as a player. When he hit a bloke you could be confident they weren’t staging, it bought a bit of honesty and respectability to a game otherwise overflowing with over paid actors.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

boy undead posted:

Didn't he grow up supporting Essendon? I bet they'd be keen.

Pls stay, Jack.

I doubt those rumours will go away but this year Essendon aren’t going particularly hard at him from what I’ve heard. Setterfield, Sloane, Cam Guthrie and Wines are/were the targets, not sure if Guthrie and Wines have re-signed yet do they might be off the table already.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Guthrie's good but he's not in the rarefied air of Wines/Sloane

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

spamman posted:

I think you're right. Even under Ayres they weren't that bad.

They were pretty good under Ayres, really. Just tended to fall over at the last minute a lot. Made the top 4 in 2002 and should have made it again in 2003 if they hadn't hosed up the last couple of rounds, from memory.

The bigger problem from Ayres' time was that literally no new players came through under his watch from the national draft and stuck around other than Reilly and Johncock. And it's not like they were leaving to go to other clubs. They were just poo poo. Got a few rookie bargains (Rutten, Bock, Porplyzia, Mattner) but we burned national draft picks year after year under him.

Last night's match was pretty depressing, got to say. I've never seen the Crows so completely incapable of generating anything.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 17, 2018

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

cmndstab posted:

They were pretty good under Ayres, really. Just tended to fall over at the last minute a lot. Made the top 4 in 2004 and should have made it again in 2003 if they hadn't hosed up the last couple of rounds, from memory.

The bigger problem from Ayres' time was that literally no new players came through under his watch from the national draft and stuck around other than Reilly and Johncock. And it's not like they were leaving to go to other clubs. They were just poo poo. Got a few rookie bargains (Rutten, Bock, Porplyzia, Mattner) but we burned national draft picks year after year under him.

Last night's match was pretty depressing, got to say. I've never seen the Crows so completely incapable of generating anything.

This is very similar to his recruiting at Geelong, top ups a plenty with no real eye for long term development. I think he could still be a great coach to bring into an established but underperforming list (after all he has been amazing at Port Melbourne), but he has no idea how to develop players.

Jason Mooney, Simon Arnott, Scott Bamford, Paul Corrigan.......

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah. It's a minor miracle that we were so drat good in 05 and 06 because it sure as hell wasn't from the players recruited under Ayres' watch!

I forgot Robert Shirley as well, I guess he was pretty good. After that we're talking the likes of Skipworth and Ladhams. It's a very sad list.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

cmndstab posted:

They were pretty good under Ayres, really. Just tended to fall over at the last minute a lot. Made the top 4 in 2002 and should have made it again in 2003 if they hadn't hosed up the last couple of rounds, from memory.

He's a good gameday coach, I was more talking about '04 in general (where you guys still beat us by 80 points in the actual worst performance by Hawthorn I've ever seen).

But yeah. Last night there were lots of witches hats in the middle, no system of any kind with the ball.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
VFL is on channel 7 and the middle of the ground is a good old fashioned mud pit. :getin:

E: It's also a Williamstown home game and they are getting horizontal rain and hail at the moment.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 17, 2018

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Periphery posted:

VFL is on channel 7 and the middle of the ground is a good old fashioned mud pit. :getin:

E: It's also a Williamstown home game and they are getting horizontal rain and hail at the moment.

I'm loving the boundary throw ins that go 15 metres, then 10 metres back when the ball catches the wind.

Also the waves in the background.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Bruce looks weird with a shaved head.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Look at that amazing rainbow. So close you can basically see the pot of gold.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Periphery posted:

https://twitter.com/7VFL/status/1008201913890889728?s=19

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Why the f isn’t rich vs geel free-to-air

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snoremac posted:

Why the f isn’t rich vs geel free-to-air

Probably because Ch 7 had that terrific and exciting Thursday night game.

It's pretty ridiculous having a day in a round without a FTA game.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Never buy anything news ltd ever and shun the companies that advertise through them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Meanwhile on BigFooty, Saints supporters are having an argument about which players Richo hugged after the win and what it means for the club culture