Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Final Fantasy makes sense though. It was their one last crack or the company would have died. It was their final dream, their....final fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tekken means Iron Fist. Biohazard directly translated from Japanese to English means Resident Evil, it's just a translation.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Himuro posted:

I’m going to try to play REmake tonight. :( I hope it’s not scary like usual!

Love stream it so we can root for you and make fun of stupid things you do all at the same time.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Himuro posted:

I’m going to try to play REmake tonight. :( I hope it’s not scary like usual!

You can do it. Just follow the earlier advice from the thread and have a big ol' picture of Barry Burton to look to for hope and inspiration when the heebie-jeebies catch up.

Heavy Metal posted:

Biohazard directly translated from Japanese to English means Resident Evil, it's just a translation.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The name Resident Evil was originally going to be "Yo Yo Evil In The HOOOOOUSE"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Caidin posted:

It's actually a key element of RE2 getting an update, it's the only one where we never muck around in somebodies house and/or living quarters.

There’s an inexplicable single room double bunkhouse just before the stairs to the garage.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Himuro posted:

Final Fantasy makes sense though. It was their one last crack or the company would have died. It was their final dream, their....final fantasy.

Isn't that actually bullshit and they just wanted something that alliterated as 'FF'?

I dunno', I've heard both.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

There’s an inexplicable single room double bunkhouse just before the stairs to the garage.

You can't tell me that Kendo wasn't living in that gun shop.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Spiffster posted:

Love stream it so we can root for you and make fun of stupid things you do all at the same time.

Ok. Setting up stream now.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
https://youtu.be/gVZtKHZ_tyY

Please help me

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Honestly, the worst scare for me in Resident Evil 2 was always the one I never, ever saw coming...

ZOMBIES IN THE LOADING SCREEN WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Backhand posted:

Honestly, the worst scare for me in Resident Evil 2 was always the one I never, ever saw coming...

ZOMBIES IN THE LOADING SCREEN WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Has that ever happened again? I can’t recall it in any of the other games that had door loading.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Has that ever happened again? I can’t recall it in any of the other games that had door loading.

RE 1 sort of had that, where when you went to open the door in the kitchen and it switched to a POV shot of the zombie walking towards the door from the other side.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Thanks for all who helped me during stream! <3

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

now that we have seen all this Leon footage I'm really jonesing for footage from Claire, mainly to see if she still gets the lame bowgun, if the Browning Hi-Power is still the official sidearm for the RPD, and if the Colt SAA is an unlockable or a secret weapon in the campaign.

Just Claire things is all I care about at this point

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Aces High posted:

now that we have seen all this Leon footage I'm really jonesing for footage from Claire, mainly to see if she still gets the lame bowgun, if the Browning Hi-Power is still the official sidearm for the RPD, and if the Colt SAA is an unlockable or a secret weapon in the campaign.

Just Claire things is all I care about at this point

I'm hoping they dont use faux guns and just refer to the guns with their real names or at least use actual gun models.

I mean even Remake had fictional guns but I liked how incredibly detailed the STARS custom M9 was

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if she gets a bowgun, it would be a bowgun you can freely aim. there's no reason for it to be bad like the original version.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

even if she gets a bowgun, it would be a bowgun you can freely aim. there's no reason for it to be bad like the original version.
If they wanted to mechanically differentiate the two characters, the bowgun could be redesigned as a precision stealth weapon meant to take out zombies just standing around. It's not like RE zombies are notoriously observant, and being able to thin out a horde before engaging it properly would help make up for not having a shotgun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being able to temporarily nail lickers to the floor would be pretty sweet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

bango skank posted:

what the gently caress does "resident evil" even mean, is it like "evil lives here" or something?

It means "Haunted House" got ran through Google Translate back and forth a couple times.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Man I really liked RE7 before the boat. Still that was a drat cool time overall. Tried the Not A Hero DLC and didn't care for it.

I am stuck on I think it's mission 19 Raid Mode in Revelations. It's two waves of difficult enemies and then the jerk with the red chest. I either run out of bullets or just get slaughtered.

I also started RE6 Mercenaries and it's very fun. I really enjoy the actual mechanics. Shame about the main game.

I think I am finally gonna go through RE0 very soon.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

being able to temporarily nail lickers to the floor would be pretty sweet.
You're thinking too small - nailing licker tongues to zombies or other lickers is where it's at.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
No no no, pinning Mr X's hat to a zombie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're thinking too small - nailing licker tongues to zombies or other lickers is where it's at.

that's the kind of signature weapon you base an entire game on

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You guys still arent thinking hard enough.

Pinning Sheryl to the wall (or a zombie) so she loving stays put

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm hoping they dont use faux guns and just refer to the guns with their real names or at least use actual gun models.

I mean even Remake had fictional guns but I liked how incredibly detailed the STARS custom M9 was

If the Hydra and the Lightning Hawk are out, then so am I. :colbert:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

They've been using real firearms as base models since the start of the series, with a few moments of artistic license/interpretation thrown in every so often, combining otherwise incompatible parts (usually for some of the bigger toys but Leon's basic handgun in RE4 is a nice example of three different handguns being thrown together).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Leon's handgun in the game is called the Matilda so I don't think they're using real weapon names.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Panzeh posted:

Leon's handgun in the game is called the Matilda so I don't think they're using real weapon names.

Licensing is too much money nowadays I guess.

But calling it the Matilda at least conjures up some RE4.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

codo27 posted:

Final Fantasy. Dark souls. Name me up a game by a Japanese company with a sensible name

Monster Hunter, a game where you hunt monsters

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Gnome de plume posted:

The name Resident Evil was originally going to be "Yo Yo Evil In The HOOOOOUSE"

back during the early alpha days when the game had robots instead of zombies, the title was "Dr. Biohazard - Residence of Evil."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

WaltherFeng posted:

You guys still arent thinking hard enough.

Pinning Sheryl to the wall (or a zombie) so she loving stays put

Now I am imagining Leon shouting, a la, Harry Mason from Shattered Memories

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Lunethex posted:

Licensing is too much money nowadays I guess.

But calling it the Matilda at least conjures up some RE4.

Aren't a lot of developers purposefully moving away from that so they aren't giving free publicity / licensing money to firearms manufacturers? Dunno if that's the case here but I seem to recall hearing about that from other devs a year or two ago.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Panzeh posted:

They're not using real names but it's clearly the H&K VP70 from the original RE2. We also saw the sawed-off shotgun so I'm pining for those upgrade bits. Looks like they dropped the capacity from 18 to 12 as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Aren't a lot of developers purposefully moving away from that so they aren't giving free publicity / licensing money to firearms manufacturers? Dunno if that's the case here but I seem to recall hearing about that from other devs a year or two ago.

Probably more due to licensing cost than any ethical reason.

I don’t really care either way since it’s obvious to tell what gun is supposed to be what anyway. Feels like a RE tradition to give them different names.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah, to specify, I'm fine if a game uses generic names for guns as long as they are modelled after real guns, specifically custom made / bonus unlocks aside. I think it just makes the experience more realistic/grounded

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Give me the wild fantasy guns. More dumb triple barreled shotguns please.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Is there a way to play RE2 classic on PS4 or do I have to dust off my old PS3?

Kenzo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 17, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Developers could just about get away with that sort of thing in the late PlayStation era because video games were at the tail end of the no-respect period, but now they'd have to negotiate with the manufacturers for licensing rights, which would likely come hand-in-hand with all sorts of weird restrictions.

I worked on the official strategy guide for a racing game once, where all the cars in-game were replications of real-world models, and it was a nightmare. I can only imagine how it would be working with a gun manufacturer, especially when it's a Japanese company trying to work with Germans, Belgians, Israelis, and Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah, to specify, I'm fine if a game uses generic names for guns as long as they are modelled after real guns, specifically custom made / bonus unlocks aside. I think it just makes the experience more realistic/grounded

Are magnums as super powerful as this series wants me to think