Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Reminder that Triss featured as a Playboy centerfold, and the pictures from this were included in the Witcher 2 release.

CDPR is not always that progressive when it comes to their writing or their marketing, and lol if you did anything but roll your eyes when one of the things they decided to highlight in their Cyberpunk demo was rescuing a naked woman from a bathtub and start talking about how important her being naked is.

Double lol if you start complaining about SJWs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

To be honest, any complaining about SJWs, no matter the context, gets an eye roll from me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

No, I would spend all my mana on a double-dick. :colbert: But that begs the question why the standards of beauty of the Witcher universe almost exactly match those of the 21st century real world. I guess you could argue that using any other standards of beauty wouldn't convey their beauty to the actual audience, since there is an in-universe reason for this.expansion.

Because it was made by people who live in the 21st century of the real world

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 17, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CottonWolf posted:

To be honest, any complaining about SJWs, no matter the context, gets an eye roll from me.

It's a really easy way to paint yourself as the worst side of any debate.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I hate a lot of stuff in the Witcher but I just assume since most of it is straight from the books that it's more the source material's fault than CDPR (for Witcher 3 at least, Witcher 1 was awful). The whole world setting reeks of some teenage boys power fantasy land to me. Also I found Triss to be one of the most inexcusably pathetic female characters ever. I liked pretty much all of the other major female characters in Witcher 3 though.

The complaints about that scene from Cyberpunk are silly to me. How much you can change your body and/or mind into machine while still being considered human is an interesting question and I don't think he was trying to say just having prosthetic limbs means you're not one anymore. And I never understood why people get upset at nudity either. The problems come when the camera starts getting all male-gazey, not nudity by itself. If while you're carrying this naked woman the camera focuses in on her wildly jiggling tiddies then yeah I'm gonna be annoyed but just showing someone naked shouldn't be a problem for any normal adult.

There better be some dongs though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Blood good titty bad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Blood good titty bad

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Did the Witcher books have Geralt receiving a pin-up card for all the women he boned?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Blood good titty bad

I actually like both blood and titties. I'm what you call a mature gamer.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Senjuro posted:

What does having or not having stats have to do with whether iron sights are a benefit or a nuisance?

About as much as comparing Doom to (what we've been told of) Cyberpunk 2077. Gameplay, flow, design, it's so far away from each other. Doom is run and gun, I'd imagine Cyberpunk is more slow and tactical what with it being an RPG.
Iron sights would get in the way of Doom 2016 but they don't in Fallout or Stalker. I like them, there are a lot of ways to make them unimportant with the setting especially if slapping a croashair on your screen is a cyberupgrade. Would make a lot of sense seeing as that a croashair in the center of your vision in every game with it is like you having cybernetic enhancements.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ufarn posted:

Did the Witcher books have Geralt receiving a pin-up card for all the women he boned?

No, but sorcerers/sorceresses all used to be incredibly ugly people, and you can still somehow tell even if they magically changed their appearance to be highly attractive.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

McIntosh does what he does in bad faith. He doesn't actually care about this sort of stuff. He's the kind of person you'd see use #TheResistance or wave icon in their twitter handle, talking about defeating Trump then turning around and voting for his policy. Best to ignore him at all times. Even progressive don't retweet the junk he puts out there. For example: when Tracer was confirmed to be gay, he was mad that she was a twee pixie of a woman instead of a big tough woman that makes hetero men uncomfortable and when a bunch of queer women in twitter told him, no this is a good thing, he blocked them. So yeah, just ignore that fool.

The other lady does have a point, though. Body dysphoria is thing that happens and its more of a well-known issue among people who try to open to progressive issues than when 2020 first came out. To them, changing their body is seen as a really good thing, but in this interview they're saying doing so makes you impure/dirty. So you can excuse them for taking offense to a very bad explanation that marginalizes their struggle. I can understand that putting tech in your body is different than GRS or even hormone treatments, but put yourself in their shoes and see why they'd take umbrage with that particular response instead of thinking about it in terms of game mechanics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

actually people are already mad about the whole "to see if your body is pure(non agumented) reason for nudity and how "human" you are. so it sounds like if you aug up to much, you become a t-800 psychopath.

https://twitter.com/queer_queenie/status/1007755654142939138

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1008181220717428736

basicaly only chuds and dumb fringe weirdos think this game is bad. i am happy.

That's actually hilarious.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope i can wear a eyepatch

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Turbl posted:

The complaints about that scene from Cyberpunk are silly to me. How much you can change your body and/or mind into machine while still being considered human is an interesting question and I don't think he was trying to say just having prosthetic limbs means you're not one anymore.

Yeah I'm on this side. Like people are complaining that it's hostile to trans or disabled people that the question is raised about humanity and altering one's body to the max. I doubt anyone at CDPR thinks a prosthetic arm or leg makes you any less than a human, and they probably don't think it's a good allegory for transgender people, but there is merit in asking the question "If you replace all of your vital organs with machines, are you still really human? What if we entirely replace hormones that your organs make? What if you copy the brain to a computer?" These things are all valid questions and proper to the cyberpunk genre.

What if people voluntarily put chips in their bodies to let their employer track them? What if employers refuse anyone who doesn't replace their perfectly functioning limbs for corporate-approved tools? What if you rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt vis-a-vis corporations because you're addicted to a drug to ensure your body doesn't reject the cyber-neural implants you needed to start working as a clerk somewhere? Is it dehumanizing to ask this of your employees? Etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I've been reading sourcebooks and laughing my rear end off that gun control in the Cyberpunk 2020 USA is stricter than the real world.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Why aren’t people considering the real world implications of using a tactical nuclear launch to rob your neighbors?

https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1006015678292246528 https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1006010065533337601

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 17, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

alex314 posted:

We're also guesstimating first half of 2020 as a release date. There were comments of "we're still not sure how big the game will be, but assume bigger than W3" may mean the story and quests are still being worked on.

I hope CDPR will release the same play through with different choices picked for variety.

They say it’s for current gen and they don’t know when next gen will hit so I assume you are right.

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah I'm on this side. Like people are complaining that it's hostile to trans or disabled people that the question is raised about humanity and altering one's body to the max. I doubt anyone at CDPR thinks a prosthetic arm or leg makes you any less than a human, and they probably don't think it's a good allegory for transgender people, but there is merit in asking the question "If you replace all of your vital organs with machines, are you still really human? What if we entirely replace hormones that your organs make? What if you copy the brain to a computer?" These things are all valid questions and proper to the cyberpunk genre.

What if people voluntarily put chips in their bodies to let their employer track them? What if employers refuse anyone who doesn't replace their perfectly functioning limbs for corporate-approved tools? What if you rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt vis-a-vis corporations because you're addicted to a drug to ensure your body doesn't reject the cyber-neural implants you needed to start working as a clerk somewhere? Is it dehumanizing to ask this of your employees? Etc.

As some who is disabled and has a couple transplants. I can see where the girl is coming from, I think they could have explained the “humanity” system better(if your basically Vader or tech priest, you will be a sociopath killer because you’re so heavily armed and are so removed from humanity that you don’t care.) I also wouldn’t have explained that while

Jimbot posted:

McIntosh does what he does in bad faith. He doesn't actually care about this sort of stuff. He's the kind of person you'd see use #TheResistance or wave icon in their twitter handle, talking about defeating Trump then turning around and voting for his policy. Best to ignore him at all times. Even progressive don't retweet the junk he puts out there. For example: when Tracer was confirmed to be gay, he was mad that she was a twee pixie of a woman instead of a big tough woman that makes hetero men uncomfortable and when a bunch of queer women in twitter told him, no this is a good thing, he blocked them. So yeah, just ignore that fool.

The other lady does have a point, though. Body dysphoria is thing that happens and its more of a well-known issue among people who try to open to progressive issues than when 2020 first came out. To them, changing their body is seen as a really good thing, but in this interview they're saying doing so makes you impure/dirty. So you can excuse them for taking offense to a very bad explanation that marginalizes their struggle. I can understand that putting tech in your body is different than GRS or even hormone treatments, but put yourself in their shoes and see why they'd take umbrage with that particular response instead of thinking about it in terms of game mechanics.

Yeah I shouldn’t of posted her, I was more posting her as context but sorry.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been reading sourcebooks and laughing my rear end off that gun control in the Cyberpunk 2020 USA is stricter than the real world.

I need to buy it next month.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. Buying the sourcebooks is on my purchasing list for next month too. CDPR have got me bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So what specific book do I read to get the backstory for Cyberpunk 2077's version of the world specifically?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BrandonGK posted:

Why aren’t people considering the real world implications of using a tactical nuclear launch to rob your neighbors?

Uhhhh. https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1006015678292246528 https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1006010065533337601 ok I am done posting that poo poo now.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't think a game developer talking about the idea that the body is sacred and body modification is profane necessarily reflects his beliefs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

So what specific book do I read to get the backstory for Cyberpunk 2077's version of the world specifically?

I assume the 2020 one for the basics.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Important question: How does he feel about Worms?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jack Trades posted:

Well, presumably a lot has happened between 2020 and 2077 so there's going to be a gap. The 2020 core sourcebook has a decent amount of setting information but is also, unsurprisingly, mostly material you'd use when running a game. I skimmed that. There's another sourcebook that appears to just be describing Night City, which I am going to read next.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How does he feel about getting a 25 kill streak in Modern Warfare 2?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dont post mcintosh crap in this thread for gently caress sake

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pondsmith’s making a new version of the tabletop game to be released with 2077, right? Or is that not happening anymore?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

As far as I know he's never said anything about doing that, but it seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity to sell some books.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Pondsmith’s making a new version of the tabletop game to be released with 2077, right? Or is that not happening anymore?

Well, they also gave him a license to do the Witcher tabletop game, like, three years ago, announced to be published two years ago. It's still not out and it doesn't seem like it'll be out in the near future. His studio isn't exactly an RPG publishing powerhouse these days.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Still needs to finish the Witcher tabletop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Megazver posted:

Well, they also gave him a license to do the Witcher tabletop game, like, three years ago, announced to be published two years ago. It's still not out and it doesn't seem like it'll be out in the near future. His studio isn't exactly an RPG publishing powerhouse these days.

He is probably really busy with other stuff, like helping them with the game.

Grand Fromage posted:

As far as I know he's never said anything about doing that, but it seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity to sell some books.

I am hoping for some guides at least.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The breasts scared me as well

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Why don't we start talking about whether or not video games are art while we are at it

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh known polish misogynists cdpr once again have 3d breasts in their video games without discussing the intersectionality *shoots myself in the head*

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actually sexual disphoria its the same as putting a cibernetic arm in a fantasy setting

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Why don't we start talking about whether or not video games are art while we are at it

if you want to start a thread about it.

CJ posted:

I don't think a game developer talking about the idea that the body is sacred and body modification is profane necessarily reflects his beliefs.

yeah. i think alot of it is not communicating the concepts well and maybe not the best english speaker. idk. i get what they are going for but id have explained it better.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

UP AND ADAM posted:

The breasts scared me as well

Why? Do the nipples fire mini rockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BrandonGK posted:

Why? Do the nipples fire mini rockets?

no they shoot out tiny babies, like in dantes inferno.