Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1007695609221013506

See, there are a handful of mentions about homosexuality in the Bible, mostly old testament next to rules about cutting your hair and making women on their period go camping, I think there's one in one of Pauls epistles.

Of course, you know what's in there a whole bunch? Money is evil, poverty is closeness to god, and Jesus said himself "Pay your taxes" and "stop hoarding money".

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

See, there are a handful of mentions about homosexuality in the Bible, mostly old testament next to rules about cutting your hair and making women on their period go camping, I think there's one in one of Pauls epistles.

Of course, you know what's in there a whole bunch? Money is evil, poverty is closeness to god, and Jesus said himself "Pay your taxes" and "stop hoarding money".

Yes, but churches are profitable companies that are also non-taxable. Why would they ever choose to include those parts into the sermon?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Reik posted:

I see a lot of Beto lawn signs in my Dallas suburb neighborhood. I'm not surprised.

Hell, I see some here in Waxahachie. Gives me hope Makes me feel slightly better about our state.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so anything fun happen at the republican convention other than the Cruz wing's dude hilariously taking over after pretending to have always been on the trump train and not running around on the convention floor trying to tell delegates to 'free delegates' to gently caress Trump?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't know about you guys but even in my super red county, I don't get the impression that many of the GOP voters actually like Ted Cruz very much. Even though they will still vote for him, my impression is that many of them see him as the slimy opportunistic politician that he is, and I've heard many comments to that effect, even among people who are super right wing and obviously GOP voters.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Zwabu posted:

I don't know about you guys but even in my super red county, I don't get the impression that many of the GOP voters actually like Ted Cruz very much. Even though they will still vote for him, my impression is that many of them see him as the slimy opportunistic politician that he is, and I've heard many comments to that effect, even among people who are super right wing and obviously GOP voters.

poo poo I didn't know you were in Texas too.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

I can only speak for my extended family but they are very conservative, Evangelical types and that's how they think of Cruz.

They also don't like Trump that much either, at least on a personal level.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
George W. Bush, for as much of a disaster he was as president, is still pretty widely respected among this sort.

I don't quite know why but he almost embodies a kind of patrician father figure? That has a lot of appeal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64MkJ1fe46c

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Dallas_Observer/status/1008099414202830848

quote:

Miller is the blonde, frosty-white smiled, big-personality stereotype of Dallas women, at least to people who don't live here. She drives a white Mercedes-Benz G-Class. She parks it at her home in Frisco. And every morning she cooks breakfast for her husband, Vaughn Miller, a real estate developer. Ever since she left her hometown of Jonesboro, Missouri, escaping to Texas in 1983 with her guitar player boyfriend at the time, Dallas has been her spot. She first landed in Houston when she was 18. She had spent her childhood in poverty, her parents on welfare, but as it is for any natural Dallasite, Houston was more than she could bear.

“Houston is such a miserable place,” she says.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
He started painting portraits of wounded veterans which generates a lot of cachet with folks who lack a memory or critical thinking skills

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it feels like this is always code for 'too many minorities'. Like, I know the demos are about the same on paper but it always feels like everyone who says 'no I LOVE Dallas but I can't stand Houston' is one line away from bitching about rap music or something.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dallas (dfw) is the worst (non-college-station) part of the state

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Shear Modulus posted:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

As someone from Waco, what about Waco?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

sexpig by night posted:

it feels like this is always code for 'too many minorities'. Like, I know the demos are about the same on paper but it always feels like everyone who says 'no I LOVE Dallas but I can't stand Houston' is one line away from bitching about rap music or something.

While I only lived in Dallas a short while that was my impression as well. Super white and boring as hell.

Somebody told me when I moved here that Houston was “The New York City of Mexico” with the tone that this was awful and scary but it’s been awesome.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

As someone from Waco, what about Waco?

at least if youre in waco you have a chance of dying in a fire

(waco is pretty strong competition. its pretty loving terrible and i imagine it was made by someone drawing a box around TCU and the surrounding few miles and ctrl-c, ctrl-v ing it an hour and a half south)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 16, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TCU played Stanford in the Alamo Bowl last year and after being downtown that weekend I'm pretty sure that was the whitest and most Trumpy and rich-rear end in a top hat-infested San Antonio had been in decades

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/james4texas/status/1008109396663160832?s=21

Normal political party

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Every time I see something like this for a split second I think they will finally start driving people away from the party but then I remember everything just shifts crazier with them. Two years ago every republican was giving some slimy non answer about how "build the wall" didn't mean a REAL wall and now they're putting forth bills to throw $25 trillion at it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

There is a Parks and Recreation episode, wherein at a public forum there was an old white lady who opposed the idea of a new park javing a basketball court because basketball courts attract certain undesirable people.

She is the living embodiment of Dallas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Those Dallas people would be infuriating (well, they are) if they weren't so funny, and they're funny because they think they're normal.

Like the "lady" acting like she's living in Downton Abbey with the bag of Fritos lmao

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This is very local but Deb Armintor won a city council runoff in Denton:

https://twitter.com/DentonRC/status/1008188708581978113
Armintor is a progressive-liberal UNT professor and was running against real-estate broker Aaron "Fuzzy" Newquist who actually secured more votes in the first round, but failed to get enough to win outright. What probably sunk his chances in the second round was this ad:

(Gregory, the city council member whose name is listed as endorsing Fuzzy on that ad, pulled his endorsement afterwards, saying it had an "underlying tone of racism.") The ad was specifically targeting voters in Robson Ranch, a suburban HOA development (houses in the $300,000-$700,000 range) to the city's southwest. A lot of landlords live there FYI. Illustrated by me with the wine glasses:

The ad lost Fuzzy some support among city "elites" who have preferred local races remain ... local -- and non-partisan. It also likely created a backlash and mobilized the numerically greater liberal voters who may have stayed home. In the end, Fuzzy only carried the more affluent (and newer) suburbs to the south and some western precincts that are too underpopulated to matter. Robson Ranch provided roughly 1/3 of his total votes:

They should break away and form their own city IMO

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 17, 2018

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012

zoux posted:

LOL funny to see this guy pop up. He goes to every SA city council meeting and rants, quite a site to see. He really is prolific, I see him at every large political related thing in this city.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dameius posted:

There is a Parks and Recreation episode, wherein at a public forum there was an old white lady who opposed the idea of a new park javing a basketball court because basketball courts attract certain undesirable people.

She is the living embodiment of Dallas.

Oddly, though, I know a few black folks who moved to Dallas from Austin and swear that Dallas is a better/cooler place for them to live than Austin.

I legitimately have no idea what's up with that.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

LanceHunter posted:

Oddly, though, I know a few black folks who moved to Dallas from Austin and swear that Dallas is a better/cooler place for them to live than Austin.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I think it's pretty simple really in that there are more black people in Dallas and just more stuff to do where you're not the only black person in the room. It's a lot of little things that are not obvious to white people. Like, where do you get your hair cut in Austin? There's not a lot of barbershops that cut black hair, so getting your hair cut is a chore. Austin just makes life complicated because these little things add up. And this isn't to say black people all [insert cliche like listening to r&b music] however, if you do like r&b music, there's more of it. There's just more stuff in Dallas that caters to a black market.

The women like the Trumpette in the Dallas Observer article is more a living embodiment of North Dallas, or in her case, the less ridiculously affluent Frisco whites. Unfortunately, they're the image we kind of present to the world and is why the rest of Texas wants to destroy Dallas and salt the earth. We probably deserve it. But actually, we're a very diverse city. Please love us oh God we're so insecure.

Edit: Dallas has a better gay nightlife too -- sorry Austin.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 17, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I've lived in Austin for two years and I don't have any trouble believing that at all. The city is white as gently caress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Dallas proper is way less racist than Austin. Austin keeps its racists within the city limits, along with a couple hundred thousand in WilCo.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I like living in Dallas / DFW

I'm not going to defend it beyond saying it's a fuckton better than Wichita Falls

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Was gonna say the cool things people find in Austin are probably white as hell. Dallas is also cool if you're Asian, Austin didn't even have an H Mart until this year.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

im in austin and have both rich tech friends buying condos on the east side and have poor norteno musician friends protesting gentrification

poo poo kinda sucks around here recently

also being twenty miles from the center and paying $1000/month in rent is bad too

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Austin is largely a town of pussy hats, especially when the suburbs are factored in. There's some genuinely good folks here as well and I dig a lot about living here, but Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are considerably more diverse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kunabomber posted:

Was gonna say the cool things people find in Austin are probably white as hell. Dallas is also cool if you're Asian, Austin didn't even have an H Mart until this year.
Getting philosophical for a moment, but there's a kind of white liberal pretension to "universalism" that isn't really true. Like, "we're liberal and tolerant -- go us!" yet their brains kinda go haywire when they cannot understand why people who are not white reject the city for other places. Now, they can understand it if they make an effort to try -- and that's a kind of universalism I accept (which is also the opposite of "you don't know what it's like to be black.") In fact, you can talk to black people in Austin and get a sense of the little things that add up to make life difficult.

But also, because it takes effort to try [and also: you risk embarrassing yourself / revealing your ignorance and implicit racial biases etc.], there's a tendency for some whites to just go "gently caress it!" and become reactionary assholes and Austin is full of them too, or they drift over to the alt-right. The bigot's refrain is never "I hate you" but "why are you making me hate you?" Or "I tried to be nice and you rejected me so therefore you're the bad one." :colbert:

They think they're the ones who are oppressed. They're wrong, but that's how the bigot's mind works.

Anecdotally the Austin subreddit is a horrible place and the comments there are worse than the Dallas and Houston ones.

Aliquid posted:

im in austin and have both rich tech friends buying condos on the east side and have poor norteno musician friends protesting gentrification
Or you could combine the gentrifiers with the bigots.

https://twitter.com/NaveedAJamali/status/1006219383100674048
^ Actually a San Marcos guy but he was crewed up with a group that squared off in the East Side with anti-gentrification protesters:

Dude on the right's sister owned the cafe that was being protested. Though it's not really fair to Austin as those guys are scattered all over the state and have singled out Austin for their antics more than anything.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 17, 2018

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

Hrm what if you live in the panhandle?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the panhandle is like a billion times better than east texas

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm heading to the Panhandle tomorrow will send updates

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I'm heading to the Panhandle tomorrow will send updates

I'm already here - you will find that there is very little here. It's an uglier, less humid version of East Texas

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm already here - you will find that there is very little here. It's an uglier, less humid version of East Texas

Land/rent is cheap, the net tends to be half decent because there ain't poo poo to do, and the roads are like a quarter mile wide. Tap water is funky and hard as can be. Oh and everything is brown due to a thin layer of dust you can never fully remove because parts of the area are still beatup and scarred from the Dust Bowl.

Or at least that's how it was when I lived in Lubbuck.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

isk posted:

Austin is largely a town of pussy hats, especially when the suburbs are factored in. There's some genuinely good folks here as well and I dig a lot about living here, but Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are considerably more diverse.

All anyone really needs to remember about Austin is that when the bombings started, the first couple victims were minority, and the police didn't bother investigating too hard because "you never know, they might have done it to themselves."

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shear Modulus posted:

Someone hasn't been to east Texas. or San Angelo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Our Brave Land Commissioner doesn’t support this, but also it’s the Democrats’ fault

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1007686570059673600?s=21