Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Go for the gold! Don’t lynch meeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

merk posted:

Like I just read my post history and the recruiter is pretty obvious.

Then out your supposed recruiter, friend.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Can’t. I lose if s/he dies.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The only reason I would do that is because Podima might lose if the recruiter is lynched today.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I don't think you'll do it because you know anyone you name can be disproven. With the possible exception of me; but I'm the one pushing you on this.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Howdy merk

So, assuming I buy your bullshit were you ever actually council aligned? If so what was your role

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

merk posted:

##unvote

I'm not here every moment of every day, friend. I've already claimed council-aligned. For flavor, I am a constable who was outside of town when the massacre occurred. I'm now here hoping to restore order.

I don't intend to claim my role, but I do have one.

Specifically referencing this post

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Moatillata posted:

Howdy merk

So, assuming I buy your bullshit were you ever actually council aligned? If so what was your role

I had just reread merk and was coming back to ask the same question. :argh:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Moatillata posted:

Howdy merk

I’m vanilla. I just thought saying that would give me town credit, which it did.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Meh, I'm good

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the sunday deadline is a suggestion not a rule, feel free to vote for whomever whenever. I'm around most of the weekend to handle a hammer and start the night.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Moat, what can I do to put you into a non-merk lynch today?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

merk posted:

Moat, what can I do to put you into a non-merk lynch today?

:heysexy:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

No don't vote merk nooooo

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Wouldn't you rather vote me, CCKeane, noted scoundrel?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Terrible.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

merk posted:

Terrible.

Turn on your monitor

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Lol that’s pretty good.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

merk posted:

Lol that’s pretty good.

Uhh

That's what

Your mom said?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Merk is MAD that I am not doing enough to protect him, the recruiter, who would be bad to kill, SMH SMH.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I blocked merk on Facebook because he kept messaging me, fucker switched to LinkedIn, lol.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nice claim, only recruiters message people on LinkedIn.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Podima posted:

I applaud this joke beyond words.

You got your saint, vote away.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I highly encourage the merking of merk merkington.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Podima posted:

:emptyquote:

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
yawn

why keane beg for death?

CCKeane posted:

I blocked merk on Facebook because he kept messaging me, fucker switched to LinkedIn, lol.

he is a persistent person!

Podima posted:

nice

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Podima posted:

:perfect:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
ASoda I'm around for another couple hours, just let me know when you're ready to go.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I almost don't care if Pod backstabs us now, that joke was 100% worth it.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Podima posted:

ASoda I'm around for another couple hours, just let me know when you're ready to go.

was gunna go in about 12 hours before i head to bed but i'm prolly being to precious about this, i'm sure i'll have time to participate tomorrow. we can go now if you like

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
OK.

##vote merk

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Atomic Soda posted:

yawn

why keane beg for death?

he is a persistent person!

nice

Hey, game ends tonight if you vote merk, just lemme sign up for another game.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

CCKeane posted:

Hey, game ends tonight if you vote merk, just lemme sign up for another game.

well that works as well i suppose

##vote merk

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
:gary::redhammer::yarg:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The fifth and final day of the massacre opened with something very unusual. Keane stood on a podium and announced "it's me! I'm the one you all have been looking for. I'm under the control of St. Leroux, the madman! You must kill me now!" He shoved a noose around his neck and waited for his doom from the crowd, but instead everyone was focused on merk. "I saw merk at Slam's house last night," said Moat the Racist. "Nobody else. Whomever did..., that..., it had to be merk."

Keane desperately tried to draw their attention away with antics and japes, but soon enough merk was dragged to the gallows instead while Keane was restrained. Merk smiled the entire time, putting up no resistance, even confessing to having done the kill, "but it wasn't me, honest, it was St. Leroux." They tied his hands and wrapped a noose around his neck. As Atomic Soda held the lever to the platform, she asked him "any last words?"

Merk smiled even wider and shouted "everybody stand perfectly still." And everyone did.

He shouted at Soda to let go of the lever, to come and free his hands, and to put the noose around her neck instead. Soda nodded and did so, using a small knife to cut the rope binding his wrists, then gently loosening the knot around the noose before placing it around her own neck and tightening it snugly. Merk ordered Moat to stand by the lever "and drop it when I say so." Moat bowed graciously and cut through the crowd to get to his station.

Merk stood before the audience on the gallows and smiled. "I thought you were all just a bunch of inbred hicks who smell like fish that's been left out in the sun, but credit where credit is due. You were clever enough to find me, you even got close, so close, to stopping me. But, by now, I can't be stopped. With just a passing breath I have control over you, every one of you, absolutely and completely. I could order each of you to murder each other in the most senselessly violent ways. I could make you self-cannibalize like Slamburger, or I could have you gut yourselves like those fish you're so fond of. Or I could have you all be my new followers. My five apostles, proclaiming the Good News, that a new God has been born on this earth, and His name is St. Leroux. A God of love and mercy to all those who accept my obedience. Which would you prefer?" He paused, then laughed and muttered to himself. "Sorry, of course, pfft, so silly, Albert, duh." Then, more loudly, "Everyone, tell me when I point to you whether you'd prefer life as my follower, or a painful death."

He pointed to Moat: "Life."
Atomic Soda: "Life."
IllegallySober: "Life."
Keane: "Life, master."
Podim--

Wait where did--

Just like that Podima leaped onto the podium behind merk and slapped a spade into the back of merk's head. Merk fell off the gallows and snapped his leg. Podima hopped down and approached the old man, who was angrily shouting for Pod to "Stop! Stand there! Don't move! I order you! I demand it! Your god commands you!" Pod stood over merk, raised the spade, and said:

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Merk looked confused, and his face would be frozen in that expression as Pod brought the spade down to his neck, easily slicing through it, ripping apart merk's vocal chords and, a few seconds later, strangling merk with his own blood.

:s: merk, Albert "St." Leroux, Prophet (cult-aligned recruiter), was executed day 5. :s:

With merk dead the villagers blinked deeply, and felt themselves regain control over their bodies. Except for poor Keane, who went missing, but turned up later having sliced his wrists. He left a note saying he wished he didn't have to do this, but "my master ordered me, and I must obey."

:s: CCKeane, Javier, Villager (town-aligned vanilla cult-aligned recruit), was endgamed day 5. :s:

With only three of its original inhabitants still alive, the town of Juanagua was gone. Sober left that afternoon to stay with cousins in nearby Puerto Jillo while Soda returned to her cabin in the woods, never to see mortal man again. Moat was recalled, given a medal by his cousin, and made mayor of another town, "and try not to have everyone die this time."

As for Pod, well, she went on to write about her story in a sensational true crime novel: she talked about their first meeting, her investigation, his list of crimes, the massacre and the slow boil as he continued his slaughter, culminating with his just execution by Pod's own hands. (All told in exacting detail, though Pod did give herself a better one-liner at the decapitation.) Unfortunately for reasons never made entirely clear the Queen's censors limited the book's audience to only the literati of the Imperial Court rather than permit it to be published widely. Still, many agreed that The Murder of St. Leroux was a gripping work of fiction, with a truly wicked villain and a compelling heroine and a satisfying conclusion, even if it had issues with its pacing.

:dawkins101:
The cult has failed its win conditions and has lost the game.

:black101:
Podima has met his win condition and won the game.

:dance:
The town has met its win condition and won the game.

GAME OVER

TOWN VICTORY

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The Murder of St. Leroux

A Game for 15 players

- 2 Cultists. Cult can only have 2 members at most; the current Recruit dies if the Recruiter is successful.
--- 1 Recruiter
----- Recruits only succeed on vanilla towns
----- NK on power roles.
----- BP (this time baby he'll be bullet-proof)
--- 1 Cultist (Goon)

- 1 SK
--- Bulletproof (neither dies nor is recruited by recruiter)
--- Has choice of nightkills
----- 1) Do nothing, is a godfather for the night.
----- 2) Invisible kill
----- 3) Unstoppable kill, but is Loud

- 12 Town
--- 1 Cult Cop
--- 1 Naive Cop
--- 1 Doctor
--- 1 Watcher
--- 1 Paranoid Gun Owner
--- 7 Vanilla

==========================

PLAYER LIST:

1) Pinterest Mom merk - Albert "St." Leroux - Prophet (cult-aligned recruiter)
2) Tremendous Taste Meinberg - Victoria - Follower (cult-aligned cultist)

3) BottleKnight Podima - Yiskah - Psycho Killer (self-aligned outlaw vigilante)

4) Monathin - Cornelia - Inquisitor (council-aligned cult cop)
5) Anomalous Amalgam - Sofia - Constable (council-aligned naive cop)
6) Slamburger - Samuel - Cleric (council-aligned doctor)
7) Moatillata - Martin - Mayor (council-aligned watcher)
8) Atomic Soda - Maria - Hunter (wild-aligned paranoid gun owner)

9) Dick Bastardly - Matteo - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
10) Tired Moritz - Ignacio - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
11) Hal Incandenza - Isabella - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
12) b-minus1 - Natalia - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
13) SalTheBard - Luis - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
14) CCKeane - Javier - Villager (town-aligned vanilla cult-aligned recruit)
15) IllegallySober - Camila - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)

===========================

Day 1:
Town executes Tired Moritz

Night 1:
PMom recruits Monathin (FAILS -> kill)
Pod ninjakills DickBastardly
Monathin cultvestigates b-minus
AA naivestigates Podima
Slam protects Podima
Moat watches Slam

Day 2:
Town executes AA

Night 2:
PMom recruits Moat
Pod does nothing
Slam protects Moat
Moat watches Meinberg

Day 3:
merk replaces Pmom (ugh)
Alasdair replaces Meinberg (ugh)
Town executes Sal (rip)

Night 3:
merk recruits Keane
Pod bombkills alasdair (thank christ)
Slam protects merk (lol)
Moat watches OH NO

Day 4:
Town executes b-minus

Night 4:
merk recruits Slam (FAILS, kills)
Pod bombkills Hal
Slam protects who cares
Moat watches Slamburger (!!!!!!)

Day 5:
Town executes merk (rip)

GAME OVER

TOWN VICTORY

ROLE PMs:

Pinterest Mom merk - Albert "St." Leroux - Prophet (cult-aligned recruiter)
Things always seemed to go your way. For as far back as you can remember, you would ask people to do things for you, and they would smile and do it. Nobody could ever say "no" to you. As a kid you just thought adults were being kind, and as an adolescent you figured you were simply very attractive, but after a certain point it became uncanny. One day you decided to experiment: as you walked down a busy sidewalk you'd throw a coin on the ground, and ask passersby to pick it up. You first asked nicely, with a "please" and "thank you." Then you removed the politeness and asked plainly and directly. Finally you simply commanded it - throwing a coin in front of someone and saying "pick that up, now." People would look confused, but after a second, they'd do it, handing the coin into your palm without complaining or protesting. It happened every single time. You even barked your order to a passing constable, fully expecting a bloody lip, but, sure enough, she returned the coin to you and continued on her way.
Then you had an idea. You shouted at her: "come back, officer." She stopped, turned around, and walked back towards you. You gave her the coin and said: "eat it." She hesitated, grimaced, and started to say something, before she took the coin from you, worked up a mouth full of saliva, and swallowed the coin in one gulp. You bent over laughing, it was hysterical.
That was almost twenty years ago. You were a young man, then, and still had a lot to learn. You quickly found boundaries to your abilities: if someone really, truly didn't want to do something, you couldn't compel them. Eating a coin is gross but not morally abhorrent, after all. But your powers grew as you flexed them; the line between what people could do and wouldn't do shifted, and each year you found you could command others to do more and more.
A few days ago you achieved what you believed to be the culmination of your life's work. For decades you had assumed the mantle of an itinerant preacher, and as travelers invariably do, you made an enemy of another traveler. He was an annoying man named Rufus who laughed like a jackal; you kept running into him on your respective journeying, and he kept making fun of your prominent ears, and then laughing his jackal laugh in your face. You occasionally got revenge by making him eat mud or slapping constables, but this time something else happened. You saw Rufus in a tavern (well, you heard him, first). Without thinking you told him to jump off a roof. Rufus stopped his laughing, stood up, and walked deeper into the tavern. A few minutes later you heard a loud crash outside, and people screaming in horror.
The implications are staggering. The desire to live at any cost is ingrained on the spirits of every living creature on this planet; if you found a way to override that just by willing it to be so, then where does it end? What can't you do? This world is a mess: there's evil people in every corner who cheat and steal and murder just because they can, while corrupt kings and shameless magistrates look away in exchange for a share of the profit. Wouldn't everything be better if they all went the way of Rufus? Sure, of course, some other fool would take their place and be just as wicked, unless you stopped them too. With absolute power over life or death, you could rule over everyone, and command the world to be as perfect as you are.
But you're getting ahead of yourself. For now start small. Location: a fishing village. Population: five dozen. Let's see what you can do here.

You are a cult leader. You have developed the ability to control the minds of others through magicks too extraordinary for you to understand. Now you've decided to eliminate a town full of people, just to see how deep your powers can run. As such, you and any other cult-aligned players win the game when you are the only one left standing. Note that a cult victory REQUIRES you to be alive. If other cultists are alive that's fine, but it's immaterial.

You arrive in this town with a follower: Victoria (Tremendous Taste aka Jonathan Fisk). She heard you preaching and of her own volition decided to follow you, believing you to be the reincarnation of some divine being she says she saw as a child. You later assumed control over her, and she's been your (mostly willing) devotee ever since. The two of you are confirmed to share the same alignment and may speak freely OOT.

Your recruitment power works thusly: during the night you may, if you desire, target any living player in the game with your energies. If the player has a particularly weak will (i.e. they are a VANILLA TOWN), then the recruitment is a success, you will control them entirely, and their alignment changes to CULT-ALIGNED: they win when you are the only player left alive. However, if the player has a strong will (i.e. they are NOT VANILLA TOWN), then, you cannot fully control them, and instead you will just compel them to kill themselves in some gruesome way.

Your recruitment has another limitation. Controlling the mind of someone else totally and completely takes a lot out of you. As such, you may only ever have one recruit alive at any one time. If a recruitment is ever successful, your previous recruit (in this case, Taste) will die the same night. If a recruitment fails and your target dies instead, then your active recruit will stay alive. If a recruitment is successful but then your target dies the same night by other means, well, soz.

To help you in your quest for world domination you have two other advantages. Firstly: you are bulletproof. You cannot die at night. Secondly, you are aware of a gimmick in this town: while all the vanilla town will be flipped appropriately, all of the town's power roles will have their alignment obfuscated: they will flip "council-aligned" rather than "town-aligned." They are aware of this status ahead of time, and so if you wish to fakeclaim a town power role, you should keep that in mind.

Hooray! You win the longest PM in the game award. Good luck, feel free to ask me any questions about your role if you have them.

You are a cult recruiter and you are cult-aligned.

Jonathan Fisk/Tremendous Taste Meinberg Aladsair - Victoria - Follower (cult-aligned cultist)
You like to think that you were first born when you were seven years old. You were playing by the river near your family's farm when you slipped and fell. The rapids took you, you banged your head against a stone, and started to lose consciousness. You could feel the water filling your lungs as your body stiffed up. Then, when it seemed like all was lost, a... figure came from the sky and picked you up. He seemed to fly in the air as he carried you out of the water. He stroked your hair, whispered in your ear "it'll be okay," and placed you gently on the shore. You passed out from the adrenaline rush, and when you came to, your savior was gone.
You prayed every night that your angel would return to you. Your family and friends all said you were crazy, you just fell into the water and washed on shore, and hallucinated because of the air loss. But still you prayed.
Then, finally, a few years ago, you were walking down a street corner when you heard an itinerant preacher speaking about evil and iniquity. His voice shot through you; it was the voice of your angel, exactly the same. This man claimed to have no memory of what happened, but you're certain he's just being modest, or is just your angel reincarnated. You decided then and there to give up your life and follow him instead - it was never your life to live anyway, but always His.

You are a cultist! You have decided to follow your savior, St. Leroux (merk), and you've agreed to do anything, absolutely anything, for him. Now he wants to eliminate a town for some reason - yours is not to reason why etc. As such, you win the game when your leader is alive and only cult-aligned players remain in the game.
Your master is St. Leroux (merk). The two of you are confirmed to share the same alignment and may talk freely OOT.
You can do nothing at night and you have no other outstanding powers or abilities.
You are a cultist and you are cult-aligned.

BottleKnight Podima - Yiskah - Psycho Killer (self-aligned outlaw vigilante)
You first met him almost twenty years ago. You were a young constable in Belatrop, a city bounded by three rivers in Mereaux. It was a beautiful day outside; you remember it was spring and the plum trees were in bloom. As you patrolled down a busy street a strange man approached you. He threw a coin on the ground and then demanded you pick it up. You were just about to punch him in the lip and move on but suddenly you felt a strange compulsion. Against your will you felt yourself lean down, pick up the coin (it was a penny), and hand it back to this strange man. You felt shook, and you started to immediately walk away, hoping to forget about such a strange experience, when suddenly you heard the man shout at you: "come back here." You felt your body turn and slowly approach him once more. He gave the penny to you, and, with a sadistic grin, ordered you to eat it. You retched at the thought and you started to protest when you closed your mouth, worked up saliva, and then swallowed the penny in one big gulp. The man laughed and laughed, so hard that he fell over clutching himself. You ran away covering your ears.
You never saw him again, but every now and then you'd hear stories, similar to yours: a man approaching strangers and ordering them to do things they didn't want to do, but they could not help but do them. Generally it was something minor, like "give me that bread loaf" or "shut up." But as you tracked down more and more cases, they became more and more sinister. One person you interviewed claimed he had been under the man's thrall for days at a time, acting as a sort of enforcer. The man - whom the victim said only went by the name "St. Leroux" - would order him to punch people, knock them down, rob them; he even once ordered the victim to light a market shop on fire.
You were kicked off the force for letting the victim go, and ever since then you've made it your mission to track Leroux down and bring him to justice. You managed to piece his movements as he traveled the Imperia, wandering aimlessly from village to village, interviewing victims wherever he went. As you tracked him you felt yourself getting closer and closer: you used to go to a town and be months behind, but then it became weeks, and eventually merely days. One balmy summer's morning you looked at your map and realized you had him cornered. You were only a day behind him and the only village within a day's travel was the small fishing community of Juanagua. You bought a horse and sped to the village as quickly as possible.
When you got there you saw you were too late. His MO up to now had been mostly petty theft and minor battery, but, something happened in Juanagua. It was like the entire village had been attacked by a war party. Bodies littered the streets, homes smoldered, and only a dozen villagers were left standing. Interviewing survivors, they said someone was in the village, someone they did not know. This stranger stood in the market square and shouted, loudly, for "everyone listening to me right now to grab the sharpest thing near them, and kill the first person you see that isn't me." It was mayhem. One person, a vain young man staring into a mirror, shattered it and slit his own throat. A mother cut up her own child with the knife she had just used to gut a fish. She was then in turn stabbed with a sharp ceramic tile by a teen who in turn had her eyes gouged out. The dozen people who remained alive were those lucky enough not to be at market on market day.
What shocked you the most though was something universal in their testimonies - they all ran to the market as soon as they heard screaming, and they saw the shadowy figure step off the makeshift podium...... but they never saw the man leave town.

You are an outlaw vigilante. You have been personally victimized by the so-called "St. Leroux" and you have dedicated your life to ending his. As such, you win the game when St. Leroux is dead and you are alive to see it happen. Note that this win condition not necessarily mutually exclusive to the town's. However, you are not town, and you carry all the baggage associated with that.

You're ex-cop, which means you believe violence is the first and best tool to solve a problem. To that effect, during the night you must do one of three things.
1) Do nothing. It's a bit undignified but there is something to the zugzwang. If you choose this option at night, any cop investigations against you will return TOWN.
2) Perform an invisible kill (fast-acting poison). This kill cannot be tracked or watched. Helpful if you don't want to answer uncomfortable questions the next day.
3) Perform an unstoppable kill (it's a bomb!). This kill cannot be blocked by doctors or roleblockers or even jailors. It's Super Effective! Unfortunately it's also very loud - anyone else who targets your target during the night will know you also targeted them the same night.

Also to assist you, you've designed a special spell you call Silence. At the start and end of each day you cast Silence on your ears, making you, temporarily, deaf. Your studies on St. Leroux suggest strongly that actually hearing his commands enables his control, and so you hope this will be an effective protection.

Understand?

You are an outlaw and you are self-aligned.

Monathin - Cornelia - Inquisitor (council-aligned cult cop)
You're a member of an elite squad of legionary commandos known as the Bottle Knights. Well, you used to be; after a successful operation in Iskana you opted for an early retirement. The powers that be granted you a small villa outside the fishing village of Juanagua, where you could enjoy the finer things in life in peace. Which isn't to say you've been idle! You've turned the estate into a bit of a vineyard, and you've also started writing that novel that's been kicking around in your head. You even tried your hand at a stint in local politics, being selected to the town council. It's a truly blissful life.
At least it was until this morning. You're not sure exactly what happened, but as you tended your vines for the upcoming midsummer harvest, you heard screams and cries coming from the village. When you got there it was a madhouse - dozens of civilians in the town square were dead, with a few survivors moaning in agony and sobbing. When you asked one of the victims what had happened, they told you a horrifying story: some man just stood on a podium and shouted for everyone to kill each other, and then they just... did. The victim then started sobbing, cradling her child whom she killed with the bloody knife still in her hands.
It looks like you're out of retirement for one more mission. Ugh, that's the cliche you used in your novel to kill off the protagonist's partner. Well. Hopefully life won't imitate art.

You are a townie! You seek to restore peace and order to this town, and as such, win when all scum players are removed from the game.
You are also a highly trained guerrilla soldier, and though you've recently retired, your training is still fresh and strong. You are aware that someone in this town has the power to compel people to do things they don't want to do; you've heard stories about this back when you were a soldier, but you always thought it was just an urban legend. Luckily you still know a trick that should be very helpful. It was originally crafted to help prevent a captured soldier from revealing secrets during interrogation, but with a small twist it can identify if someone is under the influence of a cult. During the night you may sneak into someone's home and cast a spell over their sleeping form; if they are innocent and free of mind-altering magicks they will give off a blue aura. If they have had their minds warped and controlled by an evil demon, then they'll give off a reddish aura. Good thing you're not color blind.
However, there is one problem. The nature of government in Juanagua is that the town council are all selected by the regional governor, who in turn was appointed by the Duchess of the Livireen, who in turn has all her appointments vetted by the Empress herself. Invariably this system is prone to cronyism and corruption, and though you yourself are on the level, your average citizen thinks you're just an interloper and would-be tyrant who should just return where from where you came and never come back. You're town, you can only win with the town, and you'll investigate as town, however, if you ever die, you will flip the ambiguous "council-aligned" to reflect this underlying animosity.
You are a cult cop and you are town-aligned.

Anomalous Amalgam - Sofia - Constable (council-aligned cop)
In all your years on the force you never seen something so horrific. You're the only constable in the town, meaning you alone are responsible for keeping the peace among Juanagua's five dozen inhabitants, which is easy to do because everyone is generally friendly and amicable with each other. Occasionally you break up a drunken brawl or have to step into a domestic dispute, but there's never any proper crime here. To keep yourself busy you were also selected to be on the town council, representing the Law and Order vote, to make sure things stay as peaceful as they've been.
Today, market day, was your day off, so you were doing some minor duties in the council chambers when you heard loud screams coming from the market square. You rushed in and saw something awful: dozens of people killed, seemingly by each other: one person was stabbing a corpse with a fish knife while sobbing before she too had her neck slit by a madman wielding a sharp ceramic tile, whom you dispatched with a fireball spell. There was blood everywhere. You vomited in disgust. What could have done this? Who? How is this possible? How could such a peaceful village be so upturned?
You were scared, but, well, sometimes being a cop isn't easy. Well, it has been for you. But you know what I mean.

You are a townie! You seek to restore peace and order to this town, and as such, win when all scum players are removed from the game.
Additionally you are the village cop. You have quite a mess on your hands, and you alone are responsible for figuring it out. During the night you may target a player in the game and investigate them: their whereabouts when the massacre took place, their alibis, their testimonies, and so forth. When you're done, you will be told if they are an innocent TOWNie, or a murderous SCUMbo.
However, there is one problem. The nature of government in Juanagua is that the town council are all selected by the regional governor, who in turn was appointed by the Duchess of the Livireen, who in turn has all her appointments vetted by the Empress herself. Invariably this system is prone to cronyism and corruption, and though you yourself are on the level, your average citizen thinks you're just an interloper and would-be tyrant who should just return where from where you came and never come back. You're town, you can only win with the town, and you'll investigate as town, however, if you ever die, you will flip the ambiguous "council-aligned" to reflect this underlying animosity.
You are a cop and you are town-aligned.

Slamburger - Samuel - Cleric (council-aligned doctor)
The oath every cleric takes before graduating from their white magick academy is "to do good, or at least to do no harm." It's a guideline, but for you it's a mantra. You've dedicated your life to helping people, to protecting them, to healing them, and to guiding them to live long, healthy lives. You were assigned residency in the small fishing village of Juanagua, where you helped people deal with accidental fish-hooking, food poisoning, and one summer a really nasty bout of cholera. It's good work, because you are doing good - you were even selected to be on the town council, to help better organize the village to avoid public health hazards like cows dying upstream, or their cesspools accidentally flowing into the drinking water.
Unfortunately, today you have seen your greatest failure to date. You were healing a fisherman's broken bone at your clinic when you heard screams of pain coming from the market square. You set the bone, quickly cast a mending spell, and ran to see what was wrong. What had happened terrified you: dozens of people were lying on the ground, many of them dead, a few still alive and sobbing, clutching their loved ones. You administered whatever aid you could to the survivors of this massacre, and returned to your clinic - whatever caused this was still here, and you're going to need to make sure all you were stocked up on supplies, because it was going to be a very, very long day.

You are also a well-trained cleric and master of white magicks. During the night you may cast runes of protection on a player of your choice. If successful they will be safe from all harm during the night. You may not target yourself, though you may target the same player multiple nights in a row.
You are a doctor and you are town-aligned.

Moatillata - Martin - Mayor (council-aligned watcher)
Politics is weird, and creepy. You are first cousins with the regional governor of this part of the Livireen, which meant he selected you to be the mayor of some town to which you had never known before then. Still, it was a paid job to do nothing but sit on your butt and boss people around, so you couldn't say no. As soon as you got here, things became even dicier - the town viewed you as a foreign interloper ("but I'm from Alcazar...") who has no right to tell anyone what to do about anything ("we lost the war, that's how losing works..."). Even the town council, over which you ostensibly lead, doesn't give you the respect of telling you when they're meeting or when they're voting or even giving you copies of what they're voting in the first place. And, the worst part is, the more time you spend in this silly little community, the more you actually like it. People seem really happy to live here, which makes sense, because it's sunny, warm ten months out of the year, and there's a beautiful beach a stone's throw away. Also there's lots of fish, and gosh you never knew how much you could love fish. If only they accepted you as one of their own.
Well, luckily, you have your chance. Though, not luckily, because, well. So what happened was, you were in your office rifling through papers when you suddenly heard yells coming from outside your window. You looked out and saw some kind of mayhem happening. People in the market were grabbing knives and sharp stones, and they were attacking each other, slicing throats and stabbing people in their guts repeatedly. All the while a cloaked figure standing on a podium laughed and laughed. It was like something out of a nightmare. For a split second you thought about stepping out there and being a hero, but then you heard a woman gurgle a blood-choked scream, and you said "nope" and hid under your desk.
So, this wasn't your finest hour. But there was some kind of massacre today, and now more than ever the people, scared and confused and hurt, need a leader. Could you be the one? Could you step up, protect your village, and bring the monsters who did this to justice? Or will you just keep hiding under your desk some more?
Only time will tell.

To assist you, you are the village mayor. In the wake of this tragedy you imposed a strict curfew for the town: if anyone other than you is out and about at night, they will be summarily executed. Sure, you can't enforce it, but it does give you an excuse to be outside after dark watching out for others. During the night you may target a player in the game and see who else, if anyone, targets them the same night.
However, as said above, your relationship with the town is contentious at best. The town council are all appointed by the regional governor, who is considered to be illegitimate, and since you are not only on the council but the governor's cousin the rest of the village actively dislikes you. They don't necessarily think you planned this massacre, but they're not discounting it either. You're town, you can only win with the town, and you'll investigate as town, however, if you ever die, you will flip the ambiguous "council-aligned" to reflect this underlying animosity.
You are a watcher and you are town-aligned.

Atomic Soda - Maria - Hunter (wild-aligned paranoid gun owner)
You are a wild woman who lives in the lush jungled wood outside of Juanagua. You promised yourself a long, long time ago that you wouldn't be beholden to any man, and you've kept to it. You built your shack out of trees you cut down yourself. You rarely go into the village except once a year for Sanoche. You hunt game for most of your needs: it's fun, it's easy, and deer and pheasant are far more delicious than fish. Sure what you're doing is technically poaching since these woods are owned by the Duchess, but what's she going to do about it? She's all the way in Alcazar, and you're here, and you've been here for decades, so this land is essentially yours now anyway, through, what's it called, adverse domain or summit? Anyway it's no bother is the point.
As it goes, though, you've been living so closed off from the rest of the people in the village that they have come to think of you as a legendary figure. The stories you've heard are that you're a witch who sucks blood; that you're an ex-legion who lives in the woods because civilization frightens you; that you're a cross-bred between a man and a she-wolf; that you're a manifestation of Akri, goddess of the woodlands; that you're actually a mass delusion and you are really just a pile of dead animals that cause passersby to hallucinate your existence; or that you're just a strange lady who lives in the woods because people are annoying.
Only one of those are true.
You were in your hut skinning a beautiful buck you had killed when you heard screams coming from the village. The screams grew louder and louder, reaching a crescendo, and then they were suddenly silenced. Even a recluse such as yourself couldn't help but be curious. You put your knife down, threw the buck into your cold storage for later, and started your forty-minute walk into Juanagua.
When you got there you saw a miserable sight. There was some kind of massacre in the town; bloody bodies were scattered throughout the market square while weary survivors were stacking corpses four, five, six high. It was brutal. Such senseless killing. Who could have done such a thing? And how? Society frightens you, but, it might be time to participate, if only to figure out what happened, who did it, and give them a good skinning.

You have rigged up your cabin in the woods with automatically-firing crossbows. If anyone even so much as comes close to your property they'll find a bolt in their face, killing them instantly. This should keep you safe at night. Well, aside from all the crossbows.
However there is a complication. You are a wild woman of the woods, and the town mistrusts you as a result. They're not wrong to do so - see e.g. the aforementioned crossbows - but you wouldn't harm any of them if you could help it. You're town, you can only win with the town, and if anyone survives the night they'll investigate you as town, however, if you ever die, you will flip the ambiguous "wild-aligned" to reflect this underlying animosity.
You are a paranoid gun owner and you are town-aligned.

Dick Bastardly - Matteo - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
Tired Moritz - Ignacio - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
Hal Incandenza - Isabella - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
b-minus1 - Natalia - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
SalTheBard - Luis - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
It all happened so suddenly. Today is market day, the most important day of the week. It's the day the market is open and everyone shows off what they've hunted, fished, caught, grown, made, and crafted in the past week. The stalls are set up neatly, and practically the whole town is there buying things for the upcoming week.
Today was like every other day. You were happily in the market, buying bread and fish and vegetables and some fruit that arrived in a shipment just this morning. Things were fairly ordinary, until a strange, cloaked figure stood up on a podium. He loudly cleared his throat, and shouted, loudly enough for all to hear, albeit faintly: "everyone listening to me right now, grab the sharpest thing near you, and kill the first person you see that isn't me."
What happened next was as weird as it was horrifying. You felt your mind go blank. Your smile descended, and you saw your arms reaching for a knife, or a sharpened piece of ceramic tile, or even a pointy stone - you can't quite remember. Then you turned ninety-degrees and swung madly at the first person you saw. You stabbed at their throat, you stabbed into their eyes, you stabbed in their gut. You didn't do it in anger or fear or malice, in fact inside your head you were screaming to stop, but you couldn't help yourself. When your victim was dead, lying in a pool of blood (both their own and that of those nearby), you suddenly snapped back, as if waking up from a surreal dream.
And then you screamed.

You have no other outstanding powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

CCKeane - Javier - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
IllegallySober - Camila - Villager (town-aligned vanilla)
Today was like any other day. You were fishing on your boat; today is market day, meaning most of the town is in the square buying and selling, which means the waters are free and clear for you to get a great haul. And a great haul you did - you caught seven tuna, three trout, and even a swordfish! Unfortunately when you returned to the village you saw that something awful had happened. Most of your family and friends were killed, slaughtered by... an invading army? Bandits? Wild animals? The survivors said it was a man, one man, wild and crazed. And that he was still in the village, somewhere, lurking. Well. At least you have a lot of fish.
You have no other outstanding powers or abilities.
You are vanilla and you are town-aligned.

Monathin, n1:
As you prepare in your foyer for your nightly investigation, you hear a knock at your door. You stand very still, hoping the shadow of dusk will make your visitor think you're not home, when you hear your visitor shout "let me in!". You shrug your shoulders and unlock the door. A cloaked figure walks in and says hello. He smells the air and asks what you had for supper. "Soup," you reply immediately. "Fish soup." He smiles and asks if you have any left. "Yes, but it's in the icelocker for tomorrow." The figure removes his cloak, revealing the face of an older man, with a well-groomed white beard and prominent ears. His eyes are soft and gentle, like a kind uncle, but his lips are pursed contemptuously. He asks you to prepare the table for him: thaw out the soup and warm it up, and hurry, he's hungry. You try to resist, but your mind starts to feel distant, like you're half asleep, and your body begins to do as he asked.
You grab the container of soup from the icelocker. It's still a little warm from supper, but with a quick fire spell, it's bubbling and warm again, as good as it was an hour ago. Your guest is sitting at your dinner table patiently. He compliments your home, but says that your hospitality is lacking, and he asks for an apology. "I'm sorry," you say. You rush to the linen closet and grab a cloth for him. You also grab a good bottle of table wine and pour him a glass. He smiles as he swallows a sip. You then prepare the soup, a piece of bread, and a water glass. "Is there anything else I can do for you?" He shakes his head and tells you to wait while he finishes supper.
When he says that, you suddenly wake up and are aware and in control of yourself again (though you can't seem to move your legs). While he slurps his soup you quickly reach for a knife and try to stab him in the neck. You miss, though, because you can't move your legs, and stab the table instead. Your guest tells you that your arms are limp noodles, and just like that they hang helplessly off your shoulders, flopping whenever you turn your torso. Your guest finishes the soup, compliments the chef, grabs the bread, and gets up to leave. He tells you, once he's gone, to sit at the table, dislodge the knife, and slice your own throat open. He bows and exits your home.
Your final thought as your head hits the bowl of soup is how delicious your soup smells.

Keane, n3:
As you prepare supper for the night - beef sandwiches and beer - you hear a knock at your door. You're not going to answer it, of course, in fact you rush to make sure it's locked before closing the light when you hear your visitor shout for you to let him in. Very suddenly you feel your body jerk and your throat tenses up, like someone very strong just started strangling you. Against your will you feel yourself walking towards the door, unlocking it, and turning the knob. Standing before you is merk. You start to panic, and you can feel it reflected in your expression - your eyes are wide and your lip quivers. Merk grimaces and tells you to smile and be happy, because you just made a new best friend.
And just like that you're fear goes away, replaced with joy at your dear friend merk showing up at your doorstep. "And what a pleasant surprise to see you!" you tell your guest. You invite him inside and place your hand on his shoulder warmly and ask "how have you been lately? Things are pretty crazy here." Merk sighs and says he's been stressed, what with this 'entire town is trying to murder him' thing. "I'm sorry to hear that," you say. "Is there anything I can do to help? I have supper almost ready, you look famished." Merk agrees, but says that he wants you for more than just a night's comfort - he thinks you can help rid him of this meddling town. "Well," you say, "people do love me. They know I will always look out for them. I've built this trust up over years, but especially in the past few days, people really respect me, because I respect them in kind. I'm sure I could talk to them and convince them you're on the level."
Merk shakes his head. He says that his plans are more involved than that, but that you're essential to him. He tells you that he needs your absolute loyalty. He says that he'll only be satisfied when this entire town is dead - including you. He says you're okay with that. He says you'll happily get him whatever you need and do anything that needs to be done because of your love of merk. He says you now love merk more than you love your own life, more than the lives of your wife and children (who died in the massacre). He asks if you agree.
You scream inside your skull so loudly that it's almost deafening. You start to shiver. You stare at the ground, blankly. The scream grows quieter and quieter, like it's getting further and further away. Soon it's gone entirely, replaced only by your love for your friend. You look merk into his eyes and smile. He is everything.

Slam, n4:
After successfully casting runes around Pod's home you return to your own for your nightly oblations. You eat your standard supper - a bowl of plain brown rice - and you begin mixing potions while you chant in front of your alter to the Goddesses. You become so lost in your thoughts that you don't hear your door knock; it's not until you hear someone on your doorstep shout "hey! Slam! Let me in!" that you realize you're being rude. You quickly stand up, get a brief head rush, hold onto a table for balance, and a second later open your front door to see who wants you at such an unsightly hour. You recognize the face immediately as your neighbor _____. "Welcome," you tell him, "come on in. I'm sorry for delaying you, I was busy praying and didn't hear you knock. Would you care for some tea?" Your guest politely declines, and asks idly if you have been having a good night. You tell him you have. You tell him about your asceticism, how you used to be so wild and so reckless, and how, since becoming a Queen's cleric, you've been at peace, both within and without.
There is a pregnant pause. You bite your lip, close your eyes, and cut to the chase. "Friend, I imagine you're here for sinister purposes. I can see the darkness in your spirit. You know, there is always mercy and redemption if you accept Love in your heart. No man is too far gone, no crime unforgivable, no sin unpardonable. Even sins as wicked as yours, Leroux."
Your guest chuckles. "You think you're very clever. Well how about this." He orders you to shut up, and like that, your mouth closes tightly. He orders you to rub your head and pat your belly, and you do so, your arms acting of their own accord. He tells you to reverse, and then hop on one foot - again, you do so. He tells you to rip out a chunk of your tonsure and eat it. Again, you comply; it hurts, and the hair makes you gag, but you do it.
"I don't need to prostrate myself before your gods," your guest says, contemptuously. "I am a god."
You smile and sigh. You gave it your best shot. "The doom of all mortal men is to die," you say. "Tonight it'll be me, and someday it will be you. But I die in peace, knowing my ancestors will greet me with open arms on Elysium; can you say the same?"
He purses his lips. He begins to walk out, ordering you to mutilate yourself until you die. You close your eyes and pray.

UNUSED DRAFT FLAVOR:
(ed: some of it used)

LEROUX - VALJEAN
CULT COP - JAVERT
--- he's a scam artist, he's pretending to be an eastern prophet when in truth he's a charlatan.
--- all power roles told they're "Inquisitor-aligned," instead of ordinary "town-aligned." The alignment is the same they just know they'll appear not-town.
----- the scum are told this gimmick in advance so they know to plan for its inevitable reveal.
----- this is fun, what will happen is someone claims it, then someone else confirms it, then others confirm or deny before they realize they just telegraphed to the whole game who are the power roles, oh my god that's the angle, then it's didactic too, a warning about claiming too soon and being more cautious poo poo let's make it, son.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like the penny finally dropped.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
NOTES:

- The gimmick for this game was the cult. The cult could only recruit vanilla town, and would nightkill PRs. However, I gave all the town PRs a strange alignment, knowing that they would claim them early into day 1, and hopefully almost entirely outing themselves before night 1 had even begun, giving the recruiter complete control over what would happen at night. The broader point I hoped to get across to the town was DON'T CLAIM ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR ROLES UNLESS IT'S ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY! It's something I've seen so often in mafia games lately and I wanted it to have a direct punishment. built into the setup.

- This is definitely the kind of game that would have played out completely differently had merk had the role from the start. Pmom was deeply uninterested in playing the recruiter, Taste had to drop for other reasons, and so by day 3 the scum in this game were non-entities :( Please don't sign up for my game if you're not ready to have a weird role, I'd rather a game not run than you slow it down by apathy.

- On that note, I give the Ecco Award for Most Valuable Player to merk. Merk single-handedly turned the game around from a snoozefest to one where people seemed really engaged and having a good time. And he almost got away with it too! Had Keane and merk played the (ad hoc?) gambit at the end of the day more smoothly they could maybe have won the game. But alas alack.

- The flavor was obviously inspired by Jessica Jones; Leroux had Kilgrave powers (though less of a pee fetish), and BK/Pod's character's name - "Yiskah" - is a variation of the origin for the name "Jessica." Originally I was going to go for more of a Valjean-Javert dynamic with Leroux being a charlatan who hypnotizes people with cheap parlor tricks, but when I started writing the role PMs I realized an Obedience power would be far neater and far more interesting, so I went with that instead.
--- Other little flavor points: Monathin's character was Pod's from the previous game. Moat posting the Costanza-desk.gif made me die with laughter (though I imagined him more as a Mayor Dewey type). And of course Leroux's first name is Albert, and his follower is, who else, Victoria.

Thanks for playing and I hope you all had fun. If you didn't, well, rip.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i keep winning games where i die d1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Lmao penny for your thoughts

This has been one of my favorite ecco games, hands down