Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The General posted:

I think you have to be crazy to work anywhere in a kitchen outside of the dishpit. I understand you'll never make more than minimum wage back there, but you know what. It's simple. Can't burn anything, don't have to worry about if there's 20 chits on the board, or that some ingredient is running low. Just need to know how many of each dish can pile up before it's a problem.

What I don't understand is why the industry standard dishwasher doesn't was the dishes. Just throws them through the sanitizer and hopes they'll come out clean. I can't count the number of times I've pulled a "clean" pot off the shelf only to find a disgusting ring of soup scum from the day before on the inside of the pot.

Once my boss asked me what I thought of the new dishwasher, and I said "Find somebody else." when he asked why, I showed him a 6 plates with various food bits stuck to them in the recently cleaned area. He just shrugged his shoulders and wandered away.

You sound like a little bitch right now.

A Man and his dog posted:

Like, it already sucks you in the pit. Then you get lovely pay. It really is a giant cog in the machine.

Not to mention you hope you don't get a chemical or bleach burn. And also everyone in the joint looks down on you for some stupid superficial reason..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I know. It just blows my mind. Like is increasing a good workers salary from $8.25 to like uhh I dunno $12 an hour going to loving break you.

And I work at a pizza shop so come on boss man.

And its not even dishwasher. Same with, salad person, phone person....

We go through these people left and right and they ask why we can't find workers. BECAUSE YOU AREN'T loving PAYING THEM.

The drat phone person doesn't even get a part of the takeout tips!

It's just stupid.

Is the name of this place a woman's name starting with an E?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I know. It just blows my mind. Like is increasing a good workers salary from $8.25 to like uhh I dunno $12 an hour going to loving break you.

And I work at a pizza shop so come on boss man.

And its not even dishwasher. Same with, salad person, phone person....

We go through these people left and right and they ask why we can't find workers. BECAUSE YOU AREN'T loving PAYING THEM.

The drat phone person doesn't even get a part of the takeout tips!

It's just stupid.

:capitalism:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It is sorta hilarious to me that the dishwashing machine is often the most expensive individual piece of equipment in a restaurant and the person operating it is usually the least paid.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The General posted:

I think you have to be crazy to work anywhere in a kitchen outside of the dishpit. I understand you'll never make more than minimum wage back there, but you know what. It's simple. Can't burn anything, don't have to worry about if there's 20 chits on the board, or that some ingredient is running low. Just need to know how many of each dish can pile up before it's a problem.

What I don't understand is why the industry standard dishwasher doesn't was the dishes. Just throws them through the sanitizer and hopes they'll come out clean. I can't count the number of times I've pulled a "clean" pot off the shelf only to find a disgusting ring of soup scum from the day before on the inside of the pot.

Once my boss asked me what I thought of the new dishwasher, and I said "Find somebody else." when he asked why, I showed him a 6 plates with various food bits stuck to them in the recently cleaned area. He just shrugged his shoulders and wandered away.

that's kind of bizarre reaction considering that in my neck of the woods that many dirty dishes is a critical violation if the health inspector sees it

anyway, my theory about the incredibly poor pay and management in general in the service industry is less that it's capitalism (it is that though) and more that the actual smart people just go into more lucrative fields

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

anyway, my theory about the incredibly poor pay and management in general in the service industry is less that it's capitalism (it is that though) and more that the actual smart people just go into more lucrative fields

That could be said about anyone in the restaurant industry (outside of servers, because let's be real, in the right place they make bank and have super flexible hours). Whenever anyone says to me "Oh man, my [kid/friend/self/whatever] wants to be a chef so bad, what's the best way to start?", my honest reply is "Don't. If they can find anything else they could be happy with, they'll make enough money and have enough free time to cook as a hobby and have a better life for it."

And then I go back to work.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for a long while after i left the industry i felt like i was slacking because i wasn't just destroying myself physically and mentally and then i eventually realized that that kind of behavior is generally not expected of you in other fields

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

for a long while after i left the industry i felt like i was slacking because i wasn't just destroying myself physically and mentally and then i eventually realized that that kind of behavior is generally not expected of you in other fields

Yup. My boss had to sit me down and have the 'quit working IT, we have 24/7 staffing for a reason, hand poo poo off and go home' chat to break me of my kitchen habits.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Field Mousepad posted:

Is the name of this place a woman's name starting with an E?

Omg are you talking about Elizabeth's pizza?

Please tell me you are....

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Si

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Welp let me tell you about Elizabeth's Pizza. I somehow managed to survive there for like 2 years before getting canned for absolutely no reason.

Shamir is cool, but its his crazy rear end loving uhh I think cousin Anntonet who is bat poo poo nuts.

There is a reason that place has basically employed like everyone in this city. Oh and the time she thought her car was in reserve only to drive through the god drat restaurant. I laughed at that one.

I enjoyed working there and it really got me into the scene so I do appreciate that. But yeah, that lady is something.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Anyone got methods for keeping mosquitos at bay? Were right off a golf course and lake (and swampland) in rural wisconsin. Come 9 o'clock every table that asks to sit outside will ask for a table inside as soon as we can greet them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Quabzor posted:

Anyone got methods for keeping mosquitos at bay? Were right off a golf course and lake (and swampland) in rural wisconsin. Come 9 o'clock every table that asks to sit outside will ask for a table inside as soon as we can greet them.

You got a few thousand bats lying around?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You got a few thousand bats lying around?

The feral cats probably scare them all off.

(I wish I was joking)

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I work 50 yards from the beach in the summer. You will never ever get rid of the flys or mosquitos.

It seriously is like impossible. So if you choose to eat outdoors around a body of water during the summer then yeah get use to that poo poo.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
There are tiny automated turrets that detect and fire an infrared beam at mosquitos, melting their wings.

https://youtu.be/tzJo9fp7Z0U

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Quabzor posted:

There are propane powered mosquito traps that people say are very effective, however they do have a high up front cost. They work by disrupting the mosquito population in a localized area; apparently mosquitos don’t travel around much so if you eliminate the population in a 1-acre area it’ll stay free of bugs.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
BTI is a larvacide people use in their garden. You add the granules to water, the mosquitos lay their eggs in there and the larva die, it's totally safe for dogs/cats/frogs/humans that may accidentally take a sip. That means you can add it to ponds/standing water without harming the good beasties (though a lake might be a bit big). You can set up water traps with the BTI, depending how close the lake is this may disrupt the life cycle and mean no mosquitos, but should surely mean less! (I think its also effective on some other little flying bugs, like midges)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
how open is your outdoor seating area? might be able to put up mosquito netting if you're just talking about a small patio or semi-enclosed area

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I hired a friend away from a restaurant that was bouncing paychecks and holy christ I almost had to threaten to fire him to get him to stop trying to work off the clock.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

There are tiny automated turrets that detect and fire an infrared beam at mosquitos, melting their wings.

https://youtu.be/tzJo9fp7Z0U
No, there aren't. Just consider for a moment the implications of a laser beam strong enough to burn things randomly shooting around your dining area. Do you comp just the desert for blinding someone, or the whole meal?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for any active prevention or suppression plans you're going to need buy-in from neighboring property managers which sounds like a pain in the rear end to me

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
intellectual ventures is a patent troll founded by nathan myhrvold, who wrote "modernist cuisine" and was a muckity muck at microsoft

it's not an incredibly patent trolly patent troll

i knew his like niece or somethin at plutocrat school

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Quabzor posted:

Citronella candles at every table might help

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if you want to take more active measures check with your county health department or other local health and human services, someone should be able to put you in touch with whoever oversees mosquito abatement in your area and then can probably give you some useful info/ hook you up with reputable local companies

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bizwank posted:

I hired a friend away from a restaurant that was bouncing paychecks and holy christ I almost had to threaten to fire him to get him to stop trying to work off the clock.

Anytime I see a coworker working on their break I yell at them about it. Rule number one is if you are working you're getting paid.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My break(if you can even call it that) consist of me running over to the grocery store, slamming a beer, picking up deli meat for the crew, and returning back to the shop.

While on a good day I might get to sit for 15 minutes and then enjoy my sandwich before it's all interrupted by customers.

Eat as fast as I can and Then return to my 12 hour day. Love it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It’s one part of why so many people in the service industry smoke. Your addiction magically entitles you to an extra 30-60 min a shift (depending how lovely you are) of paid break time while the rest of the restaurant picks up your slack.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Skwirl posted:

Citronella candles at every table might help

Pure, undiluted citronella might be a repellant, but citronella candles do nothing.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/02/want-repel-mosquitoes-don-t-use-citronella-candles
https://gizmodo.com/anti-mosquito-candles-totally-dont-work-1792597535

Mosquitos are attracted to the exhaled CO2, it's a chemical flag that tells them there's something biteworthy there. Big oscillating fans work, you don't need much air motion to overpower them and keep them downwind.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It’s one part of why so many people in the service industry smoke. Your addiction magically entitles you to an extra 30-60 min a shift (depending how lovely you are) of paid break time while the rest of the restaurant picks up your slack.

I only do this when I'm stuck with dumbass teenagers that don't smoke but do spend fifteen minutes of every hour "using the bathroom" because they get cussed out when they would rather post on social media than take care of tickets.

When working with actual adults, it's not very difficult to keep smoke breaks under twenty minutes over eight hours. I'm not avoiding work, I'm trying not to hate you.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

In the flip side I can't stand it when non smokers just work for 8 hours straight. Take your breaks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The General posted:

In the flip side I can't stand it when non smokers just work for 8 hours straight. Take your breaks.

In some states it's actually a labor law violation to not take a 10-minute break for every four hours worked.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It is sorta hilarious to me that the dishwashing machine is often the most expensive individual piece of equipment in a restaurant and the person operating it is usually the least paid.
Its also one of the few things that are OK to lease. Does a lot to drive the price. If you start line cooks at 10, start dish at 12 because they are less replaceable. No one will wash dishes "for the experience." If you can get a lifer, pay them whatever they want.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I worked at a smaller place one time and ecolab gave us a smaller counter top style dishwasher to use provided we bought so many $$ in chemicals a month from them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Initiative 77, which phases out tipped wave, just passed in DC. Full details at the link.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

The General posted:

Having ADHD means breaks are like 30 solid minutes of torture. I absolutely hate not actively doing something. Go ahead and take your breaks, but I'm not.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're in charge though CdC, you set an example as the Chef. Take your breaks. Get a phone game or 3DS to keep you occupied.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TarsTarkasnet/status/1009912272162975745

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

There’s no way this isn’t abused by idiots who think it’s funny and idiots who think it’s a legit way for them to gripe

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cool, Yelp 2.0. gently caress off.