Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
No, he was scared. His eyes were so wide I could see the whites and his ears were flat. When I found him under the chair he was pressed against the frame and his heart was racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bitchymcjones posted:

No, he was scared. His eyes were so wide I could see the whites and his ears were flat. When I found him under the chair he was pressed against the frame and his heart was racing.

Is he normally allowed in that space? It could have gone from excitement to "oh poo poo how do I get home" real fast.

Regardless, bun gunna bun. They get spooked by the dumbest of reasons, so I wouldn't be too worried. The "Because its a rabbit" image macro applies always.

But it does sound like you might need a taller fence.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Carrots did that a few weeks ago. Something suddenly got his attention and he just kept thumping and running around freaking out. Eventually we could hear some dogs in the distance that at first we couldn't, but he must have. We think that was it.

Also, when we turned on the ceiling fan for the first time since he moved in with us, he went absolutely ape. There may have just been some kind of sound that your bun picked up that you didn't that freaked him the gently caress out.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!

Trabisnikof posted:

Is he normally allowed in that space? It could have gone from excitement to "oh poo poo how do I get home" real fast.

Regardless, bun gunna bun. They get spooked by the dumbest of reasons, so I wouldn't be too worried. The "Because its a rabbit" image macro applies always.

But it does sound like you might need a taller fence.

Yeah, that’s where he’s been for the last couple weeks while we’re home. I’m not worried that he got out, he was throwing himself against the bars pretty violently. He’s still cowering in his smaller cage with his eyes super wide. Is there anything I can do for him?

Edit: Goddammit, while I was sitting with the dogs in the other room my husband took Buntolo out of the cage. Now he has made a home in the back of the recliner. When I came out, my husband was trying to force him out. We’re leaving him alone for now and hopefully he’ll calm down. Goddammit.

bitchymcjones fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 23, 2018

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bitchymcjones posted:

Yeah, that’s where he’s been for the last couple weeks while we’re home. I’m not worried that he got out, he was throwing himself against the bars pretty violently. He’s still cowering in his smaller cage with his eyes super wide. Is there anything I can do for him?

Edit: Goddammit, while I was sitting with the dogs in the other room my husband took Buntolo out of the cage. Now he has made a home in the back of the recliner. When I came out, my husband was trying to force him out. We’re leaving him alone for now and hopefully he’ll calm down. Goddammit.

Once every few weeks Lillian discovers a new annoying place to be that we hadn't thought to rabbit-proof, which then involves several days of her being freaked out and/or mad at us after we have to chase her out of there. Just part of the deal unfortunately, and one of the reasons I own so many Neat Idea Cube panels to use as makeshift bunnyblockers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I love being able to let Harriet flounce around my parents garden,.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Never posted in this thread before but I just lost my 6 year old dwarf rabbit to a bout of stasis that escalated suddenly and quickly. She’s prone to stasis and this was the fifth time it’s happened but she always pulled through until now. Her temperature dropped drastically overnight at the ER vet and her prognosis was very poor so we had to make the decision to end her pain.

To say I’m devastated would be an understatement, and I’m still in shock and i don’t know what to do with myself. She was fine on Friday and then Saturday morning she was acting off so we gave her gas drops and critical care as that’s gotten her out of it before but she was just not acting right and now she’s gone.

I loved her so much and she was supposed to be here for years to come.

I don’t know what else to do with myself and I’m too emotionally closed off from everyone but my fiancé so I’m pouring out my heart to this specific part of this dead gay comedy forum. :(

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I'm so sorry. I don't own any rabbits but this thread is super supportive and wonderful. If you want to talk about her, you can always message me or tell us in here!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Panic Restaurant posted:

I loved her so much.

Condolences. It won’t feel like it for a long while but you did her one last kindness.

It’s been a little over a year since we helped Cilantro across the Rainbow Bridge and I still miss her.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk it out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hey guys. Just a quick heads up. My partner and I split and she took the rabbits (at least for now, I may get 1-2 of them a bit in the future). Rabbits are great and I enjoy keeping them/sharing advice about them and I’ll definitely be back in this thread again down the road, but for now I’m gonna peace out for a spell. It’s been real, have a buntime funtime.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm so sorry. I don't own any rabbits but this thread is super supportive and wonderful. If you want to talk about her, you can always message me or tell us in here!

pseudonordic posted:

Condolences. It won’t feel like it for a long while but you did her one last kindness.

It’s been a little over a year since we helped Cilantro across the Rainbow Bridge and I still miss her.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk it out.

Just wanted to give you both a proper thank you for the kind words...unsurprisingly my mind has been elsewhere.

That being said, we may look into adopting our next bun sooner rather than later...the apartment is so quiet and my fiance and I keep accidentally going to check on her. :( We're kind of lost without a rabbit to care for.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I know nothing about bunnies except that my mom loves them and they give her hour long sneezing fits. I saw a black rabbit in someone's lawn today, do wild bunnies come in black in temperate plains areas?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Not generally, but it could be an escaped/released domestic or the offspring of some.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I know nothing about bunnies except that my mom loves them and they give her hour long sneezing fits. I saw a black rabbit in someone's lawn today, do wild bunnies come in black in temperate plains areas?
No. Any time you see a rabbit in the wild that isn't the typical speckled brown wild rabbit color, it's a domestic rabbit/the child of a domestic rabbit.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Didn't think so... don't think that bodes well for the bunny.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Didn't think so... don't think that bodes well for the bunny.
Contact a local shelter and they can try to rescue it.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

Contact a local shelter and they can try to rescue it.

I started posting my first post here three days prior and evidently never changed the 'today' out of it, the shelter is cat and dog only, and my city has some nervous people in it (don't really want to run around people's lawns chasing a bunny). I feel bad about it but I don't think the rabbit is outside of my ability to help

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I started posting my first post here three days prior and evidently never changed the 'today' out of it, the shelter is cat and dog only, and my city has some nervous people in it (don't really want to run around people's lawns chasing a bunny). I feel bad about it but I don't think the rabbit is outside of my ability to help
Yeah, sounds like it. Sorry, bunny.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I’m experimenting with what kind of greens I’m giving Buntolo. Right now he goes absolutely nuts for cilantro. He’s okay with kale and cabbage, which don’t seem to give him gas. He’s okay with lettuce too.

What do your rabbits love to eat?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bitchymcjones posted:

I’m experimenting with what kind of greens I’m giving Buntolo. Right now he goes absolutely nuts for cilantro. He’s okay with kale and cabbage, which don’t seem to give him gas. He’s okay with lettuce too.

What do your rabbits love to eat?
Fennel is amazing if you can get it. Not the bulbs, but the stalks and stems are fantastic, they go nuts for it. Italian parsley seems popular too.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I was just looking at fennel in the store thinking it might be worth trying.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Carrot greens and dandelions.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
italian parsley and basil are amazing cause your rabbit turns into a furry little scent diffuser as they chew

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The Walrus posted:

italian parsley and basil are amazing cause your rabbit turns into a furry little scent diffuser as they chew

Dill is fantastic for this as well. Makes them go nuts and it smells delicious.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

He will also burn small villages for strawberries and raspberries.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro tolerated cilantro, Italian parsley, curly parsley, kale, dandelion leaves, romaine lettuce, and green leaf lettuce.

She enjoyed -on special occasion- strawberries, apple, banana, carrots, parsnips.

She would murder your family for: 1/6th of a York peppermint patty. We’d hide her pills in that and it worked every time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Harriet will establish military juntas for Banana.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Rabbits are all different. Jareth would only take certain snacks in certain quantities on certain occasions and from certain people. And he HATED anything new or that he didn’t understand. New treat? Nope. Unknown vegetable? You disgrace me. It took two months to switch him from one brand of pellets to another, and then another month to switch him back later on.

The other two- just a couple of furry Hoover vacs. You could put a cheeseburger in front of them and they’d probably eat it.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Rabbits are all different. Jareth would only take certain snacks in certain quantities on certain occasions and from certain people. And he HATED anything new or that he didn’t understand. New treat? Nope. Unknown vegetable? You disgrace me. It took two months to switch him from one brand of pellets to another, and then another month to switch him back later on.

This describes Broussette's food habits to a T. She once got spooked by a strawberry. I wish I was making that up.

On the other hand she gives zero shits about cats:

Glad you're back by the way Electric Bugaloo, you're a good poster.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Glad you're back by the way Electric Bugaloo, you're a good poster.

Thanks. I had a particularly poo poo morning today and reading that honestly meant a lot. I’m still in a pretty dark and lonely place but I’m trying to keep connecting with my hobbies and interests through all of it, even the ones that I picked up through the ex or that made up a big part of my dead relationship. She doesn’t own rabbit keeping or sailing or any of the other things I came to love doing with her and I intend to one day share these things with somebody else.

At this point I don’t think I’ll be seeing the three knuckleheads ever again, but I wouldn’t really have the time or clarity of mind to take care of them right now. I don’t think I’m going to fight for them come August either. My lease is up next month and I still don’t know where I’ll end up moving. Maybe in six months to a year I’ll be able to adopt a bonded pair or bond two solo buns myself. Until then, I’ll drop in here on occasion to chat and live vicariously through you guys. Post lots of pics please!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

This describes Broussette's food habits to a T. She once got spooked by a strawberry. I wish I was making that up.
The Himalayan gets very angry about tropical fruit. He stomped his feet at a pineapple.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Buntolo eats pretty much anything, but it’s so funny how he does it. His food dish typically goes pellets on the bottom, cabbage/kale/greens in the middle, cilantro and a little fruit on top. He inhales the fruit and cilantro, takes the other greens out of the bowl, eats the pellets, then eats the greens.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I had to stagger pellets and refilling the hay manger because Jareth would go straight for the hay while the other two gobbled up all of the pellets. He ended up losing a bunch of weight over time while Spock developed mild obesity from eating more than his share of pellets. It’s hard to balance diet for multiple animals that can’t conceptualize things like portion control.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

mine always go for the mint, parsley (bunched or flat leaf), dill, coriander, dandelion leaves before the likes of kale, lettuce etc.

one eats and appears to love pineapple, which is great during moults, the other is not even slightly interested

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I had to stagger pellets and refilling the hay manger because Jareth would go straight for the hay while the other two gobbled up all of the pellets. He ended up losing a bunch of weight over time while Spock developed mild obesity from eating more than his share of pellets. It’s hard to balance diet for multiple animals that can’t conceptualize things like portion control.

Buntolo is way more interested in hay if I put it in a toilet paper roll like Amy Sedaris does here. https://youtu.be/Z-1faBh7DIs

Not to say he isn’t interested at all, he just eats it faster this way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bitchymcjones posted:

Buntolo is way more interested in hay if I put it in a toilet paper roll like Amy Sedaris does here. https://youtu.be/Z-1faBh7DIs

Not to say he isn’t interested at all, he just eats it faster this way.

Yeah buns love enrichment puzzles. Anybody whose rabbit is boring, or alternatively, destructive should do well to get/make puzzles, “rabbit castles”, and bondmates. Pretty much the same rule as with cats: if your cat’s a turd, get it toys or another cat.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Saw black bunny on my drive to work today in the same yard I first saw him/her, still alive, looked bigger. Maybe it's not that hard for a bunny to survive in a pseudo-suburban environment with the wrong colors, but it surprised me. Humane society said they would 'see what we can do' which I think is code for writing a post-it and forgetting about it, but I'll at least make an effort in consideration of black bunny's tenacity.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Saw black bunny on my drive to work today in the same yard I first saw him/her, still alive, looked bigger. Maybe it's not that hard for a bunny to survive in a pseudo-suburban environment with the wrong colors, but it surprised me. Humane society said they would 'see what we can do' which I think is code for writing a post-it and forgetting about it, but I'll at least make an effort in consideration of black bunny's tenacity.
You can try to catch it and bring it to them, if it'll approach you.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

:stonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

I love looking at rabbits from that angle. :3: