Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson is my hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Episode IX should have at least had a lengthy treatment with all major plot beats defined thoroughly before shooting began on Episode VII. They're clearly making this poo poo up as they go along to a degree even Lucas could only imagine, and it shows.

Making poo poo up as they go along is exactly how serialized tv/movie writing works, though.

CelticPredator posted:

Rian Johnson is my hero.

He called in the writer/director of Primer to help with some concepts for Looper. That should tell you something about the people he looks up to.

Primer, for people who don't know it, is an early 00's time travel film that you almost need a diagram for to follow the plot. It's a pretty rad movie but super low budget with not the greatest acting.

]

I don't think Johnson is polarizing to be polarizing, like von Trier, but he certainly seems to execute what he thinks the vision for the film should be.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 14, 2018

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Give me Von Trier Star Wars

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

tadashi posted:

Making poo poo up as they go along is exactly how serialized tv/movie writing works, though.

He called in the writer/director of Primer to help with some concepts for Looper. That should tell you something about the people he looks up to.

Primer, for people who don't know it, is an early 00's time travel film that you almost need a diagram for to follow the plot. It's a pretty rad movie but super low budget with not the greatest acting.

]

I don't think Johnson is polarizing to be polarizing, like von Trier, but he certainly seems to execute what he thinks the vision for the film should be.

Primer is loving great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blast Fantasto posted:

Give me Von Trier Star Wars

The true fate of Chewbacca finally realised on screen:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

AlternateAccount posted:

Episode IX should have at least had a lengthy treatment with all major plot beats defined thoroughly before shooting began on Episode VII.

No it shouldn't have.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
For maximum nerd rage I hope Episode IX takes place like fifteen years after Last Jedi but still brings back Benicio Del Toro's character.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

No joke, I would love it if they chose to emulate the prequels with a time-skip like that

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Or maybe for your big predictable trilogy, you write all the poo poo out before you start filming the first one. Episode IX should have at least had a lengthy treatment with all major plot beats defined thoroughly before shooting began on Episode VII.

So what happens when they do all that work and Carrie Fisher still dies before shooting IX?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
She was died of broken heart.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Episode IX should be Almost Famous in space, focusing on the Max Rebo Band trying to tour and occasionally running into the main characters from the previous movies like they're Forest Gump.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 14, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Episode IX should be Almost Famous in space, focusing on the Max Rebo Band trying to tour and occasionally running into the main characters from the previous movies like they're Forest Gump.

It will be the first R rated Star Wars film due all the required conversation about wailing jizz everywhere.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I don't think they needed even an outline really, but honestly it's weird af to have a trilogy which ostensibly has some kind of unified narrative directed by three separate dudes working mostly independently.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm looking forward to the first, completely divorced of the originals, Star Wars. No cameos, no callbacks. How many years do you think it will be? 10? 20? More? Never?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

remusclaw posted:

I'm looking forward to the first, completely divorced of the originals, Star Wars. No cameos, no callbacks. How many years do you think it will be? 10? 20? More? Never?

Double never.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OctoberCountry posted:

So what happens when they do all that work and Carrie Fisher still dies before shooting IX?

There’s a difference between rerouting to the same destination and just driving around toward nowhere in particular while constantly changing drivers.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The true fate of Chewbacca finally realised on screen:

I appreciate this

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

tadashi posted:

Apparently he didn't listen to him then. Primer may be confusing as all hell but actually has a neat plot and concept and follows its own consistent logic. On the other hand Looper is an uninteresting boilerplate thriller that repeatedly contradicts its own so-called "Logic" so often it might as well be a game of Calvin-ball.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good old Rian "Adolf "Rian Johnson" Hitler" Johnson.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Or maybe for your big predictable trilogy, you write all the poo poo out before you start filming the first one. Episode IX should have at least had a lengthy treatment with all major plot beats defined thoroughly before shooting began on Episode VII. They're clearly making this poo poo up as they go along to a degree even Lucas could only imagine, and it shows.

I was, mistakenly, under the impression that they did this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

The rumor going around is that they did, and it got deep sixed in favor of The Last Jedi. Which, if true, would be more embarrassing than just not having a plan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

JJ had an idea of where he wanted it to, then Rian had an idea of where he wanted it to go, all the while Trevorrow had an idea where he wanted it to go.

It was all over the place.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Rian claims that he was given no notes on Snoke, Rey's parents, overall story/plot, etc.

Simon Pegg has claimed that Abrams absolutely had plans for some of those. You can see some of this evidence in TFA itself from how Rey is talked about and how scenes cut around her heritage and how Snoke uses, of all things, Darth Plagius' theme in his own theme.

No one really knows and I doubt Disney will ever let the truth out.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I go with the theory that Rion Johnson is Kennedy’s secret love child since he got a free hand in going his way without being fired in the middle of production, plus a sweet trilogy deal before TLJ was opened.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rian Johnson owns and directed the two best Breaking Bad episodes of the entire run.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Rian Johnson owns and directed the two best Breaking Bad episodes of the entire run.

Damned by faint praise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's sort of amusing that the Disney era movie that Star Wars fans seem to dislike the most seems to be the one that Disney/Lucasfilm interfered with the least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Star Wars fans want someone to step in and tell filmmakers no. They don’t like when ideas go unchecked.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Quite the jump to conclusions to fit your narrative.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The Plagueis/Snoke thing is a weird complaint because if you really need and want Snoke to be Plagueis there's nothing in there to say he isn't. It just doesn't matter at all to the story

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

Quite the jump to conclusions to fit your narrative.

Star Wars fans are trash, film at 11.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Damned by faint praise.

Breaking Bad is suddenly terrible, I see.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Hodgepodge posted:

Breaking Bad is suddenly terrible, I see.

It's well executed trash and exploitative television, but it's still trashy and exploitative.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

KVeezy3 posted:

It's well executed trash and exploitative television, but it's still trashy and exploitative.

Frankly, the new Star Wars could stand to be a bit more exploitative and trashy.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's sort of amusing that the Disney era movie that Star Wars fans seem to dislike the most seems to be the one that Disney/Lucasfilm interfered with the least.

That's not as inconsistent as it may initially seem, since the film that receives the least interference is naturally going to be the one that most closely matches whatever it is Disney wants these movies to be.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm rewatching TFA, and how does the Starkiller Base laser work? From one origin it fires once, and an energy beam can split into 5 perfectly aimed splinter beams?

I also haven't watched this in a longtime, its jarring just how different this movie is from TLJ in tone and pacing.

Aside from that, I found Abrams mystery boxes (or whatever they're called) aggravating to a degree when the movie was new. It's even more grating now feeling like we know there is no payoff to hardly any of it.

E: I likewise find it interesting that with the litany of "X killed Star Wars" videos on YouTube, particularly the ones bitching about humor, must have just totally ignored TFA. I forgot how joke-y it was. Poe even talks poo poo to Kylo at the very beginning similarly to making fun of Hux in TLJ. So that was actually consistent with the Poe character.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 18, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KVeezy3 posted:

Yeah and?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CelticPredator posted:

Star Wars fans are trash, film at 11.

I agree. I hope they keep making content that triggers them until they mass suicide or something. It’s not what they want but it’s what they deserve.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Maybe reddit nerds will stop hating on the idea of trigger warnings if they get catered to.

Triggers: sexual assault, war and bloodshed, JJ Abrams sci fi reboots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

spacetoaster posted:

It's not unreasonable to assume that your $4bn purchase and related trilogy of films that can reasonably be expected to pull that much in box office receipts alone would be governed by some sort of overarching well-defined and well thought out "Plan".

chiasaur11 posted:

The rumor going around is that they did, and it got deep sixed in favor of The Last Jedi. Which, if true, would be more embarrassing than just not having a plan.

So you're telling me DISNEY of all companies allowed a plan for their most lucrative franchise to be derailed by... whom? for what? against what opposition??

CelticPredator posted:

JJ had an idea of where he wanted it to go...

This would be the first time in his human centipede of a career where this was a true statement.