Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Certainly they get credit for acting quickly.

I wonder how many of Chris Hardwick's peers knew about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if at least a few people knew how badly he was treating Chloe and just didn't speak up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I think the best example of this is the John K. stuff, it's not even like it was remotely hidden, it's just that he was their boss.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the best example of this is the John K. stuff, it's not even like it was remotely hidden, it's just that he was their boss.

Right, it was an open secret, it's just that very few people knew just how bad it was (that article about John K. from a few months ago still turns my stomach), just like how it was an open secret that Spacey was gay and liked them young, it just wasn't known how far the rabbit hole went.

I imagine it's much the same with Hardwick.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Felicia Day and his best friend Wil Wheaton both said they were shocked at his actions and would make a full statement later after processing. My guess is that means they knew to some extent and aren’t gonna try and defend the guy, similar to how the comedy world reacted when Louis CK got his.

It’s really funny, I’ve abstained from Hardwick’s poo poo for a while on account of I have had no interest for years but I used to listen to the Nerdist podcast fairly regularly, and when I went to SDCC I always saw him doing something somewhere, whether it was hosting or comedy. I’m very curious to see if the wider Nerd World throws him on his rear end where he belongs.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That’s at least a fraught context. Lots of these people were his peers.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
Before me there was many; after me there will be none.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Australian pro-wrestling circuit is currently tearing itself apart after a female wrestler spoke up about being assaulted by one of the local industry's "legends":

quote:

This Friday (8-6-18), it was brought to my attention that a local wrestling promotion in Sydney was hosting a tournament in honour of Mario Milano.

A minority of my audience may have vaguely heard of this man as an Australian wrestler who competed throughout the 1960s to the 1980s. It is the unfortunate truth that to me, he will only be remembered as a veteran who took advantage of his status to physically abuse me.

In October 2010, during my 2nd year of wrestling, I was backstage at a Melbourne wrestling promotion where Mario Milano was also present. Out of respect, I approached Mario to introduce myself when he suggested that he put his signature abdominal stretch on me. While he had me in the hold, my arms trapped behind his leg and arm, he groped me in front of the locker room. This incident was not only degrading but publically embarrassing. At the time, I was 22 years of age, fresh in the business and was told to keep my story private because "he was a wrestling veteran". To add to the point, the wrestlers who saw this incident have laughed throughout the years at this because "what a great rib". This is not a rib. This is not a joke. This is sexual assault.

This Friday, I publically shared my story via Twitter. While this was not the first time I shared this event, this time it got picked up by wrestling media outlets and shared. Once the news broke, I received a number messages, tweets and comments accusing me of fabricating the story for attention and/or stating that I was asking for it due to the wrestling gear I choose to perform in.
https://www.facebook.com/ShazzaMcKenzieProWrestler/posts/622843848070807

I first heard about it when I stumbled over a tweet from a male wrestler bitching her out for dragging a legend's name through the mud but I can't find it again now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know there was some speculation in the thread when Gotti got pulled 10 days before its planned premiere a few months ago but it was apparently a regular excuse. The movie is flat out terrible, critics are saying even Gotti deserved better than this movie and it could earn Travolta his fourth 0% rotten tomato score.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know there was some speculation in the thread when Gotti got pulled 10 days before its planned premiere a few months ago but it was apparently a regular excuse. The movie is flat out terrible, critics are saying even Gotti deserved better than this movie and it could earn Travolta his fourth 0% rotten tomato score.

Gotti has been pushed back for release several times now, I believe. Like I think it was supposed to go directly to streaming last year before it was even switched to a theatrical release lmao

e: yeah looking into it it's changed distributors several times since that decision, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Right, it was an open secret, it's just that very few people knew just how bad it was (that article about John K. from a few months ago still turns my stomach), just like how it was an open secret that Spacey was gay and liked them young, it just wasn't known how far the rabbit hole went.

I imagine it's much the same with Hardwick.

DeimosRising posted:

That’s at least a fraught context. Lots of these people were his peers.

I think what made me aghast in that article (other than the obvious) was that it became apparent pretty quickly that the people around John K. obviously didn't give a poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think what made me aghast in that article (other than the obvious) was that it became apparent pretty quickly that the people around John K. obviously didn't give a poo poo.

Yeah it was a running joke that he was loving kids in junior high. It's not a fucken joke y'all

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah. It's really saddening and depressing when you realize that, for the longest time, you could have it be an open secret that you sodomize puppies and devour kittens, and no one would give a poo poo as long as you made people money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Who would EVER have guessed that a workplace full of libertarians would let their mentor pursue sexual relationships with children without so much as a comment?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Timby posted:

Yeah. It's really saddening and depressing when you realize that, for the longest time, you could have it be an open secret that you sodomize puppies and devour kittens, and no one would give a poo poo as long as you made people money.

Actually, animal abuse gets everyone riled up, even those who don't care about human beings

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, would we rate Prince better or worse than Ted Nugent. Prince became Mahte's "guardian" when she was 16, eventually having a sexual relationship with her when she turned 19. Basically adopted her after seeing a video of her belly dancing. They were married, but that's still a bit messed up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SimonCat posted:

So, would we rate Prince better or worse than Ted Nugent. Prince became Mahte's "guardian" when she was 16, eventually having a sexual relationship with her when she turned 19. Basically adopted her after seeing a video of her belly dancing. They were married, but that's still a bit messed up.

Better in that apparently he at least waiting for her to turn 19, instead of just going at it when she was 12.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SimonCat posted:

As hosed up as it is, at least he waited I guess. I believe she's spoken of their relationship in a fairly positive way.

I don't think he was her Guardian though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We should just rename this thread “How long until everything is terrible?”

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
AMC has put 'Talking ...' on hiatus and removed Hardwick from their ComicCon panels until a thorough investigation has been finished.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1008393678447050755

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Bust Rodd posted:

We should just rename this thread “How long until everything is terrible?”

Everything is already terrible. We're just slowly realizing that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

AMC has put 'Talking ...' on hiatus and removed Hardwick from their ComicCon panels until a thorough investigation has been finished.

I can't see him ever being put back.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having never heard of this guy before 3 days ago Chris Hardwick sounds like a loving garbage person and a terrible boyfriend but Chloe’s medium article is itself a series of red flags, and I really am having difficulty putting myself in the shoes of someone who willingly submits to a litany of loving insane rules about etiquette in the first two weeks of a relationship.

I understand that within context it doesn’t seem as extreme and obviously he probably held a lot of power and influence over her but like... I dunno I’ve never been in a relationship where someone told me what I could and could not do outside of normal dating stuff. “Please don’t gently caress other people without talking to me about it” is one thing but “you aren’t allowed to hang out with other men outside of work and you can’t drink” within a week or two just seems like... I dunno, where is your mother? Did none of her friends try to tell her “this isn’t normal, you really shouldn’t let him be running your life” as she began to disappear from their lives?

Also the last paragraph//PS is literally a “COME AT ME BRO” and it really struck me and my partner as weirdly antagonistic for something designed to get closure.

I’m HAPPY she got closure, I’m HAPPY that he will likely be prevented from hurting other people in this manipulative, controlling way, but this timeline seems kind of extreme and some of these scenes (when she gets her abortion and he asks about when he can gently caress her) just really stick in my mind like “how the gently caress did your mother not just loving throat punch this guy right then an there?”.

I guess I have absolutely no idea what kind of power of influence this guy had so I really don’t know what being around him is like, but this certainly has some shades of grey going on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bust Rodd posted:

Having never heard of this guy before 3 days ago Chris Hardwick sounds like a loving garbage person and a terrible boyfriend but Chloe’s medium article is itself a series of red flags, and I really am having difficulty putting myself in the shoes of someone who willingly submits to a litany of loving insane rules about etiquette in the first two weeks of a relationship.

I understand that within context it doesn’t seem as extreme and obviously he probably held a lot of power and influence over her but like... I dunno I’ve never been in a relationship where someone told me what I could and could not do outside of normal dating stuff. “Please don’t gently caress other people without talking to me about it” is one thing but “you aren’t allowed to hang out with other men outside of work and you can’t drink” within a week or two just seems like... I dunno, where is your mother? Did none of her friends try to tell her “this isn’t normal, you really shouldn’t let him be running your life” as she began to disappear from their lives?

Also the last paragraph//PS is literally a “COME AT ME BRO” and it really struck me and my partner as weirdly antagonistic for something designed to get closure.

I’m HAPPY she got closure, I’m HAPPY that he will likely be prevented from hurting other people in this manipulative, controlling way, but this timeline seems kind of extreme and some of these scenes (when she gets her abortion and he asks about when he can gently caress her) just really stick in my mind like “how the gently caress did your mother not just loving throat punch this guy right then an there?”.

I guess I have absolutely no idea what kind of power of influence this guy had so I really don’t know what being around him is like, but this certainly has some shades of grey going on.

I agree to an extent. Like his litany of rules is one thing, but it's so early in the relationship and she is seemingly willing to go along with it but like that Aziz Ansari piece from before, there are points where I kind of wish they'd back up and go into a bit more, if just to give some context.

I didn't mind the last paragraph as much because the easy thing to do in this situation is to try and weasel your way out of it, at least this way it stops Hardwick or anyone trying to dismiss her claims.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think it's "shades of grey" as much as it's being written by a girl who had extremely low self-esteem at the very minimum, and her state of mind and lack of self-worth led her to enter and stay in an abusive relationship because she couldn't figure out any other option.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
"This abuse victim behaves illogically, there must be more to the story" is some dumb poo poo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

On top of any issues with self worth or esteem she may have had, there's also Hardwick being an influential name in the geek/nerd circles, even though this was back before he really blew up. He was a pretty popular podcaster and I could see someone letting bullshit like that slide if they're a. already dealing with their own personal issues and b. involving themselves with someone they may respect or look up to.

Complicated situation all around. Even if she were in the best state of mind it would be easy to let the little things slide like that, especially if you think he's joking around at first-- or if it starts out small with things like 'no wine' because he says he doesn't drink/wants to stay sober.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hardwick has had drinking problems in the past and has talked about being sober for X years, so there's where that bit comes from

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hardwick has had drinking problems in the past and has talked about being sober for X years, so there's where that bit comes from

Yeah, exactly. When it starts off small with things like 'please don't drink around me' it's easy to think 'oh well that's not a big deal, he used to be an alcoholic, I can do this much for him'. Things like 'don't go out with your friends at night/see other guys' leans more toward obvious red flag behaviour, but early on in a relationship is still easy to let slide as 'oh wow this guy is crazy about me and wants me all to himself'.

This poo poo always looks way more simple and clear cut as something to walk away from when you look at it from the outside. But for the people involved it's far more complicated than that-- especially if they had good times together, or if he was overly charismatic in the beginning, etc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Better in that apparently he at least waiting for her to turn 19, instead of just going at it when she was 12.
On the other hand, Stranglehold is pretty awesome so there's that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Countdown to the inevitable Chris Hardwick dui

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperterra posted:

Yeah, exactly. When it starts off small with things like 'please don't drink around me' it's easy to think 'oh well that's not a big deal, he used to be an alcoholic, I can do this much for him'. Things like 'don't go out with your friends at night/see other guys' leans more toward obvious red flag behaviour, but early on in a relationship is still easy to let slide as 'oh wow this guy is crazy about me and wants me all to himself'.

This poo poo always looks way more simple and clear cut as something to walk away from when you look at it from the outside. But for the people involved it's far more complicated than that-- especially if they had good times together, or if he was overly charismatic in the beginning, etc.

The other thing is that addicts are absolute masters of manipulation. During my drinking days and even when I was in early sobriety, I was a complete and utter son of a bitch to my ex-wife: Gaslighting her into thinking that she was the crazy one, being possessive, isolating us from friends and family, stuff like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've been told the Washington police also dropped charges. Unfortunately because he had actual written messages from these girls giving consent, their altered state of mind and the fact that some of them felt coerced by his levels of violence didn't matter.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

“you aren’t allowed to hang out with other men outside of work and you can’t drink” within a week or two just seems like... I dunno, where is your mother?

If you’ve ever known long term sobriety AA sponsor type dudes, this is not abnormal at all. Basically these are people who are very confident and controlling of themselves in order to prevent themselves from going over the edge. If I’m a serious AA person who cares about maintaining his sobriety I do not want a girlfriend who drinks and hangs out with dudes getting drunk. That would just be, like, a prerequisite for dating me. If you want to do that, fine, I like you a lot and I can find another girlfriend who respects that I just can’t have that sort of thing in my life anymore.

Probably Scientologists go thru the same sorts of conversations with their potential girlfriends. He probably goes to Three meetings a week, maybe more. I don’t know about any of the other stuff but from someone who doesn’t understand “the program” it might look like controlling when in fact they’re trying to play it safe.

edit: also these same AA Bros often make morally dubious choices in other areas of their lives and turn a blind eye to it. They’ll always have young girlfriends, or own a gym, or have devil horns tattooed on their head and stuff.

edit2: not defending the hard wick I just have known a lot of men like this and they tend to be very careful about how they spend time with what kind of people.

bad day fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 18, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I remember Hardwick saying on some podcast somewhere that he didn’t do AA because of the god stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember Hardwick saying on some podcast somewhere that he didn’t do AA because of the god stuff.

He said he doesn't do it because of how rigidly structured it is.

The God stuff in AA is pretty easy to sidestep: Simply substitute "God" for "power greater than myself"; the whole point is an exercise in humility and accepting that you are not king poo poo of the mountain.

bad day posted:

If you’ve ever known long term sobriety AA sponsor type dudes, this is not abnormal at all. Basically these are people who are very confident and controlling of themselves in order to prevent themselves from going over the edge. If I’m a serious AA person who cares about maintaining his sobriety I do not want a girlfriend who drinks and hangs out with dudes getting drunk.

The issue isn't that Hardwick controlled Dykstra and told her to not hang around with other dudes getting drunk. It's that he controlled her and forbade her from hanging out with other men period.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have a friend in AA who just got his 15-year coin, which for him ended not only his alcohol abuse but his life in drug culture overall (shrooms and pot and probably other things). He's a totally irreligious ex-military D&D player. You do not have to be born again to go through AA.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

SimonCat posted:

When Gauguin moved to Tahiti, he moved in with a fourteen year old local girl. Mahte was two years older than that, and then on top of it she was five years older when they apparently first conssumated (it would not surprise my if the consummation happened earlier, of course). So Gauguin's was younger, but then again Gauguin was a more important artist. We'll have to get an ethical calculator to figure this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CountFosco posted:

but then again Gauguin was a more important artist

Lets not say poo poo we can't take back.