Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was just a small hologram so Miller could see what it would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

NTRabbit posted:

How did this spaceship show out of nowhere, and even as early as season 1, on the dead end SyFy channel get all of these actors and all of their performances?

I just remembered Mike from Breaking Bad was in the pilot for about 5 minutes before the ship blew up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

withak posted:

Cheap old vac suits had some kind of exposed electrical connections at the base of the helmet that would burn a ring on the wearers neck. The tattoos are kids these days imitating the OGs.

I love the world-building that all Belters >40 have these scars, while the younger Belters all have tattoos emulating the scars!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mike the TV posted:

In this last episode, Ashford said his only son was burned alive. I would assume he got his burn scars from that.

They're talking specifically about the brand-like burn mark on his neck, not the burns on his face.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I love the world-building that all Belters >40 have these scars, while the younger Belters all have tattoos emulating the scars!

Not all young Belters, mostly OPA and their sympathizers. They made the scars a political statement.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 17, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Chalks posted:

I wonder if the first episode under Amazon will show a bunch of really impressive stuff just to show off.
So I already went over how the show is an Alcon production and how the "cancellation" of it was more Alcon's lovely terms with SyFy and less SyFy "being a lovely channel" but what with Alcon's whole shopping around methodology I don't think I got an answer to an important question.

What effect does Amazon's purchase of the distribution rights actually have on the show itself? Did the deal go further than just distribution rights? Is Amazon now funding part of Alcon's production? If all Amazon did was grab the rights that SyFy already had, it shouldn't actually affect the show at all, right?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DaveKap posted:

So I already went over how the show is an Alcon production and how the "cancellation" of it was more Alcon's lovely terms with SyFy and less SyFy "being a lovely channel" but what with Alcon's whole shopping around methodology I don't think I got an answer to an important question.

What effect does Amazon's purchase of the distribution rights actually have on the show itself? Did the deal go further than just distribution rights? Is Amazon now funding part of Alcon's production? If all Amazon did was grab the rights that SyFy already had, it shouldn't actually affect the show at all, right?

No one knows for sure what the details of the deal are: could be either.

The deal may not even be completely finalized: Bezos wanted to announce it because all of the cast and crew were at the same event as him giving him puppy-dog eyes!
:allears:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

good show

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Well I think we at least have two certainties here. 1: We get more seasons. 2: Alcon doesn't have to self-censor anything because the show won't end up on broadcast television anymore, which means they could write the Avasarala everyone wants.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Well I think we at least have two certainties here. 1: We get more seasons. 2: Alcon doesn't have to self-censor anything because the show won't end up on broadcast television anymore, which means they could write the Avasarala everyone wants.

At this point I'll settle with any Avasarala at all :(.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I would not want to shop at a fine china store in the protomoon. You break it and you become the replacement.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lamebot posted:

I would not want to shop at a fine china store in the protomoon. You break it and you become the replacement.

SALE!! ALL STOCK MUST GOO

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wish "You break it, you become it" was the thread title.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

when they talk about what happened to the mao family in the aftermath all that's confirmed is that a bunch of them were jailed and interrogated. the company assets as well as jp's personal and I'm guessing family accounts were also seized. now... if you like sell space weed or some other bullshit non-crime of course your whole family doesn't derserve to get arrested... but papa mao was in a no poo poo known-space-wide criminal conspiracy to fuckin' genocide a planet and make abominations out of the souls of children. locking them up for questioning doesn't seem super facist and the unn/mcrn don't really seemed concerned to come across as such.

melba just a rich rear end in a top hat who's now broke and wants daddy's affection.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

jfood posted:

when they talk about what happened to the mao family in the aftermath all that's confirmed is that a bunch of them were jailed and interrogated. the company assets as well as jp's personal and I'm guessing family accounts were also seized. now... if you like sell space weed or some other bullshit non-crime of course your whole family doesn't derserve to get arrested... but papa mao was in a no poo poo known-space-wide criminal conspiracy to fuckin' genocide a planet and make abominations out of the souls of children. locking them up for questioning doesn't seem super facist and the unn/mcrn don't really seemed concerned to come across as such.

melba just a rich rear end in a top hat who's now broke and wants daddy's affection.

she does take after her old man in that she'll go through any and everybody to get what she wants, and her ambitions are fantastical.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Cojawfee posted:

That was just a small hologram so Miller could see what it would be like.

they also mention that the inner living space won't be done until they get to cruising speed

makes sense since why would you want to build stuff that suddenly needs to withstand 1g laterally

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

double nine posted:

she does take after her old man in that she'll go through any and everybody to get what she wants, and her ambitions are fantastical.

I have not read the book but we can safely assume Melba toast.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:golfclap:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Well, Amazon are going to be fully aware of the PR boon saving the show is for them. Throwing an extra million at their budget for the first few episodes of the next season to solidify Amazon as the place that everyone wants to fund their show? Seems like a reasonable call and it's not like Alcon would say no.

Not saying that they will, but this is more than just them buying the distribution rights, there's a bunch of PR here and the show has support all the way to the top.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

DaveKap posted:

I went down the rabbit-hole of trying to figure this out at one point, but all I really came away with was that whatever deals they made are way more complicated than i initially thought, and that there are way too many missing pieces of information to come to any sort of reasonable conclusion about it. Other than it was a lovely deal that managed to under-serve everyone involved, of course.

Whatever. That's the past now. Hoping for better things at Amazon.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
just start worrying when the next blue origin rocket is named razorback

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
In the future there will be so many space libertarian spaceships called Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
good space names imo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The MCRN John Galt

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1008120904759402501

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm gonna become a space pirate, name my ship The Weeping Fuckboi and spend all my time hunting down Elon Musks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/DeathSentencePC...D574%23lastpost

someone give this musky dork an automated wedgie.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Reinforces my belief that Musk believes his companies are the Vanguard Foundation from Use of Weapons.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

The gently caress does this have to do with The Expanse?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's always good and on topic to hate on Elon Musk.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Everyone except Mr Rogers is lovely, news at 10.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I think we need a 1990s animated OVA starring Amos and his adventures in Baltimore. Like Akira but more punching

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

spiderbyte posted:

Elon would be totally OK with the exploitation of the belt.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Neymar new haircut kinda reminds me of one of Miller's haircuts

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

48 Hour Boner posted:

Elon would be totally OK with the exploitation of the belt.

re appropriate all his spacecraft OPA style, turn space x into a workers' co op

you know

for the good of the new belter state k

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spiderbyte posted:

Wasn't there something about the Expanse writers working Elon Musk into the Expanse timeline somehow, gently caress my memory escapes me

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wasn't there something about the Expanse writers working Elon Musk into the Expanse timeline somehow, gently caress my memory escapes me

You're thinking of Discovery, which included an eye rolling Musk reference

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

CLAM DOWN posted:

no that was from the Very Good Television Show Discovery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tighclops posted:

You're thinking of Discovery, which included an eye rolling Musk reference

I am, ty. I think I was getting confused with the Mark Watney thing too, the authors said the Martian is the same continuity as the expanse.