Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Help Im Alive posted:

Are magnums as super powerful as this series wants me to think

They absolutely are, a .50 will take half your skull clean off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
They snap your wrist and jam frequently too, from what I understand!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They absolutely are, a .50 will take half your skull clean off.

You can find a lot of videos on YouTube that are just people shooting things with a .50 to see what happens. It'll go through an engine block.

I remember some gun-nut friends bitching that the Desert Eagle isn't a great handgun, though. I guess it looks cool, so it's got a place of pride in films and what-have-you, but it's not a particularly reliable gun.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Help Im Alive posted:

Are magnums as super powerful as this series wants me to think

I think the anime/manga franchise City Hunter shows best, the magnum is magnificent. He has exploded so many helicopters with one magnum shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKU72V4hBvg

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

Developers could just about get away with that sort of thing in the late PlayStation era because video games were at the tail end of the no-respect period, but now they'd have to negotiate with the manufacturers for licensing rights, which would likely come hand-in-hand with all sorts of weird restrictions.

I worked on the official strategy guide for a racing game once, where all the cars in-game were replications of real-world models, and it was a nightmare. I can only imagine how it would be working with a gun manufacturer, especially when it's a Japanese company trying to work with Germans, Belgians, Israelis, and Americans.

Make a thread on this please!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Speaking of guides, anyone else own the Versus Books guide for RE2 years ago? I let it go when I sold off all my psx stuff as a kid but got it again on eBay years ago. Any die hard fan of the game should give it a read if they can get their hands on it.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I still have the Prima Strategy Guide of RE2 and their Part B section is quite lovely if memory serves

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That is because prima is complete trash, like bradygames, but the Versus books, while limited (and unofficial) were awesome. They made a FF7 guide too.

I just remember the big listing of items, some not in the final game. Ones description was "only Shinji Mikami knows what this was for" and that always unsettled me for no good reason

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I had one when I bought RE2 back in the day that didn’t even mention the B scenarios or the 4th Survivor game. So I was quite confused when that came up.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Try and limit the derail here but the Brady games ff9 one I had was about as thick as the games manual because all the content was actually online and you had to go to their site and enter codes from the book for the corresponding section and yeah complete disaster.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I still have the Versus RE2 guide and it's fantastic. Prima's and, before, Brady's outputs were hit or miss. I think it just comes down to time constraint and the author. But yeah, no guide I own is good as that Versus book. Those hand-drawn maps and personable text were something else.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Safeword posted:

They snap your wrist and jam frequently too, from what I understand!

They’re not that bad if you hold it correctly. Not something someone new to guns should ever touch though. I hate all the irresponsible videos of idiots handing one to some person that obviously has no experience shooting any gun, let alone some giant gently caress off caliber.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The true horror

Staying with gfs people and they actually have wonderful fibreop internet here. Too bad the retarded motherfuckers who installed it mounted the loving router UNDER THE STAIRS. So on 150mbps download connection the best I can muster here in this room is half a meg per.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What sort of behind-the-scenes changes did they make to the HD ports of Resident Evil 4? I remember reading about it but I can't remember. Did it have to do with enemies dropping more treasure and less ammo or something like that?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jimbot posted:

What sort of behind-the-scenes changes did they make to the HD ports of Resident Evil 4? I remember reading about it but I can't remember. Did it have to do with enemies dropping more treasure and less ammo or something like that?

Yep, word on the street has been you get less ammo but more loot/money. But I didn't have any issue with ammo shortage or anything in HD, felt good to me, plus getting guns faster. Quite a glorious port I felt, played it on steam. Last played on Gamecube prior.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jimbot posted:

No changes like that I know of. The game came with some amount of adaptive difficulty that would (in part) alter drop rates even way back when.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

James Woods Fan posted:

I am stuck on I think it's mission 19 Raid Mode in Revelations. It's two waves of difficult enemies and then the jerk with the red chest. I either run out of bullets or just get slaughtered.

Spam all of your grenades like crazy on the first 2 waves, and pause and quit out if you think you're about to die so you don't waste all of your money refilling them every attempt. I think the big club-hand thing is weak to shock grenades.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 18, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m playing RE7 for the first time.

Even by RE standards Marguerites final form is grotesque. She keeps spreading her legs to reveal a giant prolapsed anus

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Agoat posted:

Make a thread on this please!

I can't. I'm under a non-disclosure agreement. I still write for Prima about once a year.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Join me, friends!

https://youtu.be/GOq0nhjTJYg

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Wow. The RE 1.5 project is still going on. It's almost an entire game now.

https://youtu.be/I71pzJWsUtk

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

I can't. I'm under a non-disclosure agreement. I still write for Prima about once a year.

Ah well. It's still really cool. I really just wanted to know what it was like.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

sponges posted:

I’m playing RE7 for the first time.

Even by RE standards Marguerites final form is grotesque. She keeps spreading her legs to reveal a giant prolapsed anus

Oh it's not her anus, but it certainly is prolapsed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Rely on Horror interview with the producers

Dot points to take away:
  • Original composer Shusaku Uchiyama is returning, along with two unnamed veteran artists.
  • No "zapping"/A + B system. Two full length campaigns, one for Leon, one for Claire, that reference each other and mix together bits of the original game's A+B scenarios.
  • Over the shoulder camera, no fixed camera setting confirmed. This allows for things like giving the Licker way more freedom to move around the walls and ceilings.
  • Still set sometime around 1998, so the setting isn't "modernized".
  • No RE1.5 references outside of the Elza Walker pre-order costume.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Kins posted:

Still set sometime around 1998, so the setting isn't "modernized".

Was this something they had to clarify? The exact time that RE2 takes place is well known: September 29th, 1998. Departing from that continuity would have a lot of implications about what Capcom was doing to the series as a whole.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SettingSun posted:

Was this something they had to clarify? The exact time that RE2 takes place is well known: September 29th, 1998. Departing from that continuity would have a lot of implications about what Capcom was doing to the series as a whole.
There's literally no limit to what needs to be clarified.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Rikimaru posted:

Wow. The RE 1.5 project is still going on. It's almost an entire game now.

https://youtu.be/I71pzJWsUtk

Even if RE 1.5 was going to be a far weaker game, I still find it fascinating and love how far this project has come

Some dude put together an exhaustive 40 or 50 page "book" of sorts on it's history, the development, where it was at when it was finally scrapped, and all the drama behind the leaked versions and how they ended up in people's hands, and it's an interesting read

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Good soup! posted:

Even if RE 1.5 was going to be a far weaker game, I still find it fascinating and love how far this project has come

Some dude put together an exhaustive 40 or 50 page "book" of sorts on it's history, the development, where it was at when it was finally scrapped, and all the drama behind the leaked versions and how they ended up in people's hands, and it's an interesting read

You have a link to it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kind of sad the zapping campaigns are gone but if the campaign is being redone and revamped to the degree we've seen then I can't really argue. It's already doing a very different take on RE2 and we're getting an honest to god survival horror with RE4/RE7 quality of life improvements so I'm all good. With Dead Space gone and Outlast being dogshit we really don't get many of these game besides Evil Within.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

SettingSun posted:

September 29th

"Michael Festival"

I eventually looked that up because I hadn't heard of it before--apparently it's some obscure Catholic holiday? It's funny that Capcom decided to make a reference to it when I would imagine most people wouldn't know what it was

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'm honestly suprised they arn't trying to release it on that day. I it would be twenty years to the day.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

DLC Inc posted:

Kind of sad the zapping campaigns are gone but if the campaign is being redone and revamped to the degree we've seen then I can't really argue. It's already doing a very different take on RE2 and we're getting an honest to god survival horror with RE4/RE7 quality of life improvements so I'm all good. With Dead Space gone and Outlast being dogshit we really don't get many of these game besides Evil Within.

Did Evil Within 2 end up being good? I recall hearing that it was a surprisingly great game. I might pick it up if it gets discounted for the Summer Sale, but then again, I may just chill on RE style games until RE2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Did Evil Within 2 end up being good? I recall hearing that it was a surprisingly great game. I might pick it up if it gets discounted for the Summer Sale, but then again, I may just chill on RE style games until RE2.

Yeah I'd say so. It was a lot better than the original Evil Within game at least.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Evil Within 2 is a great game, less clunky than the first but the art direction is different, which was one of the best things about the first. More action oriented than the first as well. I would compare the first Evil Within to what we've seen of the RE2make, and EW2 to RE4.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You have a link to it?

I thought I had it but it doesn't appear to be up, but I do have a copy on my laptop so once I'm back in my office I can quick throw it up somewhere. It may not be the latest version (i think the guy who wrote it said the whole "seven versions floating around the collectors market" was complete bullshit along with a few other things and was rewriting it but I haven't checked to see if the version I have saved is the newer one or not.

Apparently the one thing that is right, at least according to the groups involved closely to it, is that a collector out there does indeed have a copy of the build that is roughly 80 percent complete (according to capcom and how the build date lines up) and is close to or roughly the final build before it was scrapped, but in true nerd fashion talks broke down - everything with a grain of salt, but it's interesting nonetheless

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A user on Project Umbrella also claims to have a copy of the scenario draft and, again, grain of salt, but it doesn't exactly deviate from what we already know - a lot of the story points were roughly the same as the final version, but with some changes that people have already said (Chief Irons being a good guy, the guy who became Kendo surviving and helping throughout the game, etc.)

quote:

On July 25, 1998, the surviving officers of S.T.A.R.S. return to the local R.P.D. (Raccoon Police Department). After a brief stay in the police infirmary, they are transferred to the state general hospital. Based on their eyewitness accounts, the R.P.D. began an investigation into the giant pharmaceutical company "Umbrella Corporation", revealing the truth of their illegal biological experiments.

In September, Umbrella scientist William Birkin nears the completion of the G-virus, a viral weapon designed for the purpose of human evolution. However, he grows disillusioned with the company and prepares to blow the whistle on its illegal experiments and biological weapons business. In the event of an emergency, he hid the antibodies and research data of the t-virus in the pendant of his daughter Sherry Birkin. In response, the company sends agents of its U.S.S. (Umbrella Security Service) to assassinate him. The agents succeed, but Birkin becomes infected with the incomplete G-virus and undergoes a mutation transforming him into a giant, violent creature.

Distraught and losing her reason at the death of her husband, Annette Birkin decides to exact revenge against Umbrella by taking his whistle-blowing into her own hands. She enacts this plan by intentionally leaking the t-virus into the city in order to expose Umbrella's illegal research to the world, but her frightened daughter Sherry Birkin runs away in the process. However, the company anticipates this plot and sets into motion a scheme of its own to use human experimentation with the t-virus on Raccoon citizens for a demonstration to show its power to their customers.

Bizarre murder cases begin to frequently occur in Raccoon City due to a mysterious "cannibal disease." This disease, spreading at unbelievable speed, is caused by t-virus infection. The city quickly becomes overrun by countless wandering Zombies, killing the majority of the population. Located in the center of Raccoon City, the R.P.D. building is no different from everywhere else. Attacked by Zombies, its functions are completely terminated. On the top floor, some surviving police officers attempt to hold out. They managed to defend themselves from the Zombies, but are running out of food and ammo and have reached the limit of their stamina. The city has been overrun by zombies, and the number of the dead continues to rise rapidly as time rolls on.

I believe the opening cutscenes, which according to that document were pretty far along, would have shown Leon on the roof watching the zombies break through the barriers and into the station while Elza's scenario had her riding her motorcycle through a barricade and into the station with zombies pouring in from behind or something like that

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Kins posted:

Rely on Horror interview with the producers

Dot points to take away:
  • Original composer Shusaku Uchiyama is returning, along with two unnamed veteran artists.
  • No "zapping"/A + B system. Two full length campaigns, one for Leon, one for Claire, that reference each other and mix together bits of the original game's A+B scenarios.
  • Over the shoulder camera, no fixed camera setting confirmed. This allows for things like giving the Licker way more freedom to move around the walls and ceilings.
  • Still set sometime around 1998, so the setting isn't "modernized".
  • No RE1.5 references outside of the Elza Walker pre-order costume.

i bet theres still a thing of "thing you did in leon affects claire" tho.

i like how they say no fixed cameras despite them clearly being in the second trailer. i bet they couldn't get it quite right and moved it to an easter egg/post game unlockable so they wouldnt get poo poo for it. 100% expecting a first person mode post game too.

lol at the 1.5 stuff, i keep getting annoyed at another forum i read but refuse to sign up for where they all think the old concept art of ada with a noir coat (ada had a lab coat in 1.5) redcoat claire/desk up front in main hall/mr.x with a hat is from 1.5 when its clearly from the redesign of 2. i mean the main hall from 1.5 was like a regular blue office building that elza trashes her bike through. (mr.x hat might be 1.5 but no one really knows). that said, theres still a little bit of 1.5 influence. i think they did go back to old 1.5/2 concepts and go from there for the designs of some things. the city being an actual city this time like 1.5.

i wonder how much is lost in translation here but "set around 1998" is weird because its gotta be set in september 1998 unless they are planning to remake all the other games and spin offs.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Good soup! posted:

A user on Project Umbrella also claims to have a copy of the scenario draft and, again, grain of salt, but it doesn't exactly deviate from what we already know - a lot of the story points were roughly the same as the final version, but with some changes that people have already said (Chief Irons being a good guy, the guy who became Kendo surviving and helping throughout the game, etc.)

I believe the opening cutscenes, which according to that document were pretty far along, would have shown Leon on the roof watching the zombies break through the barriers and into the station while Elza's scenario had her riding her motorcycle through a barricade and into the station with zombies pouring in from behind or something like that

a lot of the 1.5's structure was the same, you'd still go rpd-sewers-factory-lab with like you said, leon on starting on the roof and elza in the lobby. the sewers were meant to be bigger with baby alligators along with the main one and the factory was almost as big as the police station instead of the two rooms it became. the lab was the same and the finger print room was meant to be a bigger deal in 1.5 where tyrant burst out of it. the lab had that creepy man-spider as the main enemy.

i downloaded that 2018 1.5 patch the other day and it crashed when i tried to combine a gun. i wish someone would leak the 17 versions of 3.5 already.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I forgot about the spider dudes, and baby alligators sounds like they would be a pain in the rear end ankle-biting enemies, glad we got one big one to blow the gently caress out of

here is a link to that exhaustive writeup on all the RE 1.5 drama: https://www.dropbox.com/s/khi1vkcnytgz0t1/The%20Hunt%20for%20Resident%20Evil%201.5%20v21.pdf?dl=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Good soup! posted:

I forgot about the spider dudes, and baby alligators sounds like they would be a pain in the rear end ankle-biting enemies, glad we got one big one to blow the gently caress out of

here is a link to that exhaustive writeup on all the RE 1.5 drama: https://www.dropbox.com/s/khi1vkcnytgz0t1/The%20Hunt%20for%20Resident%20Evil%201.5%20v21.pdf?dl=0

awesome, thank you!