Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

The first time I watched oz I was like 11 at my parents house because they somehow lucked into free hbo and I saw a dude force another dude to blow him and then the guy bit his dick head off and I was traumatized but also amazed you could show that on tv

And here I thought George-Michael Bluth was fictional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

Touche.

I never watched OZ but I heard to was pretty good and I've never heard anyone really poo poo on it. Maybe occasionally I've read people talking about the sexual elements being kind of dated and lovely overall.

HBO hits way more than they miss though.

I will poo poo on it. OZ is a lovely soap opera, and it is complete hot garbage. Pure rear end.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jedit posted:

"Surprisingly good" is a description that can apply to almost any episode of Lexx. No matter how terrible it might sound, it's always somehow at least slightly better. (Exception: the one in S4 with Hattie Hayridge and Craig Charles as the owners of a private prison.)

Lexx was a cool premise wasted on a stupid sex comedy. The original miniseries was great, and S2 has its moments, but S3 is very hit-miss (mostly miss) and S4 is virtually unwatchable.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Aug 11, 2018

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I Love Lucy had a story arc where the Ricardos went to Hollywood and hung out with movie stars, so pretty much from the start.

There was a period of time where every time I caught I Love Lucy it was the same episode: where they were in Las Vegas (yet again) and they find out there's uranium in the desert so they all get in the car and search for uranium. There was a celebrity on that episode because Las Vegas.

Pick posted:

And here I thought George-Michael Bluth was fictional

Visit Pop-Pop in prison?!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

Don't forget clip show.

Do they still do clip shows? I don't watch a lot of comedies that aren't straight to streaming nowadays. I assumed that ended like 15 years ago.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There was Cop Rock. The police procedural musical.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXyw4pdOGyE

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sweevo posted:

Lexx was a cool premise wasted on a stupid sex comedy. The original miniseries was great, and S2 has its moments, but S3 is very hiss-miss (more miss) and S4 is virtually unwatchable.

The thing is that Lexx, had it not been so sex comedy focused, would have maybe been regarded some 20 years later as this ahead-of-its-time, surreal sci-fi adventure. I don't know the best way to describe it other than something like cosmic horror-lite or cosmic fantasy than most sci-fi tended to be.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

roomforthetuna posted:

I think musical episode has pretty much always been one of the fallback "running short of ideas" episodes, along with the amnesia, mindswap and cage-fight episodes.

The musical episodes of Scrubs were magical though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Krispy Wafer posted:

The musical episodes of Scrubs were magical though.

The one I can remember was awful, I never got more than halfway through it.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

WebDog posted:

Wow, I can't believe I never saw the intro before and that it was performed by Randy Newman :psyduck:

This is my favorite cop rock song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUrgbheklZM

Incredibly, there's actually an Entertainment Weekly article online from before it premiered

https://ew.com/article/1990/09/21/cop-rocks-shot-survival/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

The thing is that Lexx, had it not been so sex comedy focused, would have maybe been regarded some 20 years later as this ahead-of-its-time, surreal sci-fi adventure. I don't know the best way to describe it other than something like cosmic horror-lite or cosmic fantasy than most sci-fi tended to be.

I would say it’s like Germany’s idea of science fiction, which is grotesque and full of broad comedy and probably dongs in the German version.

It’s like that other sci-fi channel show, The First Wave. It was obviously made with the intention that it would be on a premium channel, as every episode had loving and blurred nudity. Invading aliens apparently think the best way to take over a planet is with sex-related plotting.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
With that being said, there's a German sci-fi from the 60s "Raumspatrolle Orion" where according to the wiki it has the comment about the show:

quote:

Yet another impediment might have been that the controllers in charge at the state television channel ARD feared accusations of an excess of "militarism" and a portrayal of a system "akin to fascism". While this might seem far-fetched for foreigners, this issue was and is very sensitive in Germany with regards to the past history of the country, and executive producer Helmut Krapp admitted that the issue was considered and taken seriously.[2]

I watched a few episodes of that show a few years ago when I had some free time and even at about 50 years old it looked REALLY good and it's probably a bit ahead of Star Trek of the era in a few ways.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

I found some making-of show about Lexx on youtube several years ago as I was watching the series and most of the creative side behind it saw it as an heir to German expressionism. They failed to live up to that legacy, obviously, what with all the pissing dick showerheads and tongued toilets and so on, but I see what they meant. The series is above all surreal, throwing away any sort of grounded reality or objective viewpoint simply so the protagonists can be put into situations that draw an extreme reaction from themselves (and hopefully the viewer). Again, it's nowhere near the quality of expressionist art or films like Metropolis, but I can see how Lexx was inspired by them. I also had the impression that a lot of the more juvenile stuff was coming solely from the show's creator, since he chose to name a tv show/giant dick ship after himself, while everyone else just kinda worked around him because it was the late 90s and you had Lexx or Star Trek for spacefaring scifi and Lexx would let you do weird poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

roomforthetuna posted:

I think musical episode has pretty much always been one of the fallback "running short of ideas" episodes, along with the amnesia, mindswap and cage-fight episodes.

What?

Having a hard time remembering that Happy Days or MASH cage fight episode.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

What?

Having a hard time remembering that Happy Days or MASH cage fight episode.

Are you kidding? That season finale baby didn't know what hit it

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Preem Palver posted:

I found some making-of show about Lexx on youtube several years ago as I was watching the series and most of the creative side behind it saw it as an heir to German expressionism. They failed to live up to that legacy, obviously, what with all the pissing dick showerheads and tongued toilets and so on, but I see what they meant. The series is above all surreal, throwing away any sort of grounded reality or objective viewpoint simply so the protagonists can be put into situations that draw an extreme reaction from themselves (and hopefully the viewer). Again, it's nowhere near the quality of expressionist art or films like Metropolis, but I can see how Lexx was inspired by them. I also had the impression that a lot of the more juvenile stuff was coming solely from the show's creator, since he chose to name a tv show/giant dick ship after himself, while everyone else just kinda worked around him because it was the late 90s and you had Lexx or Star Trek for spacefaring scifi and Lexx would let you do weird poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WebDog posted:

And the unrelated British show The Singing Detective:

quote:

Mystery writer Philip E. Marlow is suffering writer's block and is hospitalised because his psoriatic arthropathy, a chronic skin and joint disease, is at an acute stage forming lesions and sores over his entire body, and partially cripples his hands and feet. Dennis Potter suffered from this disease himself, and he wrote with a pen tied to his fist in much the same fashion Marlow does in the last episode. Although severe, Marlow's condition was intentionally understated compared to Potter's whose skin would sometimes crack and bleed.[1]

As a result of constant pain, a fever caused by the condition, and his refusal to take medication, Marlow falls into a fantasy world involving his Chandleresque novel, The Singing Detective, an escapist adventure about a detective (also named "Philip Marlow") who sings at a dance hall and takes the jobs "the guys who don't sing" won't take.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sweevo posted:

Lexx was a cool premise wasted on a stupid sex comedy. The original miniseries was great, and S2 has its moments, but S3 is very hiss-miss (more miss) and S4 is virtually unwatchable.
Season four is the best. :colbert:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i discovered that all of Oz is on amazon prime so i've been watching it lately, just about finished with the last season. it's been mostly good, definitely had strong 90's vibes at the start despite mostly having more in common with today's "prestige" tv stuffs. you could tell it was at the start of a big shift in tv, even if the interspersed scenes of Augustus Hill (the dude in the wheelchair) philosophizing over poo poo tangentially related to the plot still felt extremely 90s. it's been mostly a very entertaining show.

but the last two seasons have been bizarre and absurd and pretty bad, instead of a drama set in a prison it's like a bizarre soap opera and it focuses way too much on the hosed up romance between Beecher and Keller, and the back and forth between Beecher and Schillinger. just the body count alone, the amount of family members killed in randomly arranged hits and poo poo, for both Beecher and Schillinger is just beyond ridiculous. they tried to keep things pretty realistic for a while, or at least within the realms of possibility, but now by the end of season six it's just a fuckin joke. Beecher getting paroled and then promptly set up by his beloved Keller to get arrested and violate his parole and return to prison was hilarious, even moreso because it was meant to be serious and dramatic.

for the most part it's aged ok, but these last two seasons must have aged terribly because twenty years ago people raved about them like they were some of the best tv ever :/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gatekeeper posted:

i discovered that all of Oz is on amazon prime so i've been watching it lately, just about finished with the last season. it's been mostly good, definitely had strong 90's vibes at the start despite mostly having more in common with today's "prestige" tv stuffs. you could tell it was at the start of a big shift in tv, even if the interspersed scenes of Augustus Hill (the dude in the wheelchair) philosophizing over poo poo tangentially related to the plot still felt extremely 90s. it's been mostly a very entertaining show.

but the last two seasons have been bizarre and absurd and pretty bad, instead of a drama set in a prison it's like a bizarre soap opera and it focuses way too much on the hosed up romance between Beecher and Keller, and the back and forth between Beecher and Schillinger. just the body count alone, the amount of family members killed in randomly arranged hits and poo poo, for both Beecher and Schillinger is just beyond ridiculous. they tried to keep things pretty realistic for a while, or at least within the realms of possibility, but now by the end of season six it's just a fuckin joke. Beecher getting paroled and then promptly set up by his beloved Keller to get arrested and violate his parole and return to prison was hilarious, even moreso because it was meant to be serious and dramatic.

for the most part it's aged ok, but these last two seasons must have aged terribly because twenty years ago people raved about them like they were some of the best tv ever :/

I watched those last seasons when they aired (that was the early 2000's and that's not yet 20 years ago I am not old :mad:), and they were kind of ridiculous back then, too.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Aesop Poprock posted:

The first time I watched oz I was like 11 at my parents house because they somehow lucked into free hbo and I saw a dude force another dude to blow him and then the guy bit his dick head off and I was traumatized but also amazed you could show that on tv

ahahaha this scene owned, the one dude wakes the other dude up by like pushing him half heartedly and going "hey come on, suck my cock, bro, hey seriously man come on, just suck my cock, come on man really just suck my cock" and Beecher is like "ugh fine" and he hits his knees, makes like a circus seal for a good couple of beats, and then CHOMP

my favorite part was how Beecher spits out a piece of weiner right there after biting, and then they cut to him stripped naked and being thrown into the hole and "ptoooey!" he spits out another chunk of weiner. i guess that piece had just been chillin in his mouth like Big League Chew for a good long while as the hacks beat him and stripped him and everything :cheeky:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gatekeeper posted:

ahahaha this scene owned, the one dude wakes the other dude up by like pushing him half heartedly and going "hey come on, suck my cock, bro, hey seriously man come on, just suck my cock, come on man really just suck my cock" and Beecher is like "ugh fine" and he hits his knees, makes like a circus seal for a good couple of beats, and then CHOMP

my favorite part was how Beecher spits out a piece of weiner right there after biting, and then they cut to him stripped naked and being thrown into the hole and "ptoooey!" he spits out another chunk of weiner. i guess that piece had just been chillin in his mouth like Big League Chew for a good long while as the hacks beat him and stripped him and everything :cheeky:

:chloe:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember one of Schillinger's goons got raped and then got AIDS all in the same episode. People don't get sick that fast so I'm not sure if the show was being goofy.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I watched those last seasons when they aired (that was the early 2000's and that's not yet 20 years ago I am not old :mad:), and they were kind of ridiculous back then, too.

ah yeah you're right it just started 20 years ago, it ended like 15 years ago :)

also it's a bad sign that they're just randomly killing people now just for the sadness/drama factor because the show is ending. it's lazy and manipulative writing, shame because most of the show was a lot better than this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I remember one of Schillinger's goons got raped and then got AIDS all in the same episode. People don't get sick that fast so I'm not sure if the show was being goofy.

Everything in a TV show moves at the speed of plot. Ever noticed how soap opera children go from being a newborn to a toddler in like two weeks?

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

ooh yeah he just got diagnosed, to be fair it wasn't all in the same episode, the goon had a dental procedure where skin from a corpse was grafted onto his gums and when he finds out it was a black guys gums, all his Nazi pals kick him out of the club for not being a pure Aryan anymore lmfao
well he's got no Nazi protection anymore so his only choice is to become prison bitch to this dingus Wolfgang who makes him wear lipstick and earrings and booty shorts, and wolfgang sticks spoons up his butt and pulls pantyhose over his head and chokes him with it while punching him really hard in the ribs while also sodomizing him, because prison

finally goon gets his revenge by talking him into trying autoerotic asphyxiation and then just choking him out and killing him instead, but sure enough, his next trip to the doctor leads to the reveal of him now being HIV positive.

this all happens over the course of two-three episodes I think?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Preem Palver posted:

and had John Dunsworth (Lahey from TPB) as an old Brunnen-G. That episode was surprisingly good.

Ohhhhhh waaaaay ohhhhhhh!

You will now have that stuck in your head for a week

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Jun 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And the unrelated British show The Singing Detective:

The Singing Detective is great; probbaly one of the best tv miniseries ever. I believe Potter had done some work in Hollywood and was frustrated by how everything had to be pigeonholed into a single genre, so when he returned to the BBC he made a series that had about nine genres at once.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everything in a TV show moves at the speed of plot. Ever noticed how soap opera children go from being a newborn to a toddler in like two weeks?

I recall that repeated instances of this result in Days of our Lives having a man and his great-grandchild working at the same hospital at the same time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's had two sequel series in the last few years as well.

Really? Well, I guess that's the sort of thing that happens when the kids who used to love stuff like this back in the day are all grown up and have turned into the adults who make decisions in media companies.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Singing Detective is great; probbaly one of the best tv miniseries ever. I believe Potter had done some work in Hollywood and was frustrated by how everything had to be pigeonholed into a single genre, so when he returned to the BBC he made a series that had about nine genres at once.

Man, I saw that back in the day, don't remember much about it now but do remember that it was something completely out of the ordinary.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Got to thinking about this today and HBO's poo poo has held up remarkably well. Deadwood, Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, Larry Sanders, Curb Your Enthusiasm...I'm hard pressed to think of a series they did hasn't stood the test of time. I never liked Sex in the City so I can't say how that one "held up".

Six Feet Under probably has the best series finale of all goddamn time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Stephen King calls it the Kid Trick, and also points out that the objective is to get them into their teens ASAP so they can do salacious plot things.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The one I can remember was awful, I never got more than halfway through it.

All depends how you feel about poo I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
The end of six feet under is the purest kitsch

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird to think that Breaking Bad premiered more than 10 years ago and ended five years ago.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's weird to think that Breaking Bad premiered more than 10 years ago and ended five years ago.

I rewatched it recently, and there's already a few details that look weird:

* The mobile phones are so old and clunky
* The adults descending into a panic when they think Walt Jr might be smoking pot

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nonathlon posted:

I rewatched it recently, and there's already a few details that look weird:

* The mobile phones are so old and clunky
* The adults descending into a panic when they think Walt Jr might be smoking pot

* Meth being the ruling drug of choice instead of opiates

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Everything I hear about Oz makes me never want to watch it.

I saw one of those anti-marijuana ads in an old magazine and realized those have pretty much entirely disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Araenna posted:

Do they still do clip shows? I don't watch a lot of comedies that aren't straight to streaming nowadays. I assumed that ended like 15 years ago.

Clip shows were a way to pad out a season. Don't want to write an entire 26th episode for the season? We'll write 5 minutes of new material to string together a bunch of clips from the last three seasons. There was also the writer's strike in 1988 that might have played a role, Star Trek The Next Generation famously had a terrible clip show episode because of that.