Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Captain Toad is better than both Breath of the Wild and Skyrim combined though I know I'm setting a low bar with Skyrim there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fallout 3 and 4 are some of the best worst games ever. I loved playing them even though both are travesties in terms of aesthetics, common sense, realism, and animation. It was plain dumb fun to shoot someone in the head and have it rocket off their body for no reason, as was stealing an apple by accident and having an entire town want you dead. I'd like even an older Fallout like NV or 3 to be on Switch someday.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I mean, I'd take Skyrim over Fallout 4 any day.

But I'll take Octopath instead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Port Deus Ex Human Revolution again, but let Panic Button do it instead of the mess that WiiU got

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

THE loving MOON posted:

So my sister's birthday is tomorrow and I was probably gonna pick her up a game for the Switch. All she has for hers atm is Mario Kart. Anybody know about any good sales on physical games? I can think of like a zillion games she'd probably like but I'm trying to keep costs down. :v:

edit: I put like 80 hours in to Skyrim I think. After I played through the main story and explored around for a while I just kind of stopped playing. It was nice, but I didn't play it anywhere near as much as any other Bethesda RPG going back to Morrowind. I've tried a couple times to start a new character and make my way over to that Morrowind dlc but I've never been able to stay invested for long enough to actually get to it.

No noteworthy sales on physical games right now AFAIK, but Nintendo is having an ultra rare actually-decent E3 digital sale right now. Splatoon 2 is $40. I firmly believe every Switch owner should have Splatoon 2, so there you go! Especially if she's younger; little kids eat that poo poo up bigtime, but it's good for all ages.

Maybe pick up a $40 eShop card at retail, pull a sly one and say you want to check out her Switch, go through the motions and hand it back to her with Splatoon 2 downloading?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

THE loving MOON posted:

So my sister's birthday is tomorrow and I was probably gonna pick her up a game for the Switch. All she has for hers atm is Mario Kart. Anybody know about any good sales on physical games? I can think of like a zillion games she'd probably like but I'm trying to keep costs down. :v:

edit: I put like 80 hours in to Skyrim I think. After I played through the main story and explored around for a while I just kind of stopped playing. It was nice, but I didn't play it anywhere near as much as any other Bethesda RPG going back to Morrowind. I've tried a couple times to start a new character and make my way over to that Morrowind dlc but I've never been able to stay invested for long enough to actually get to it.

So... she doesn't have Zelda yet? Any particular reason? (If not, get her Zelda!)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Octopath will be a good test of whether Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are just good because they’re 99% nostalgia.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I played the demo for Octopath Traveler not really knowing what to expect as I've always sort of been lukewarm on JRPGs. Holy poo poo is it amazing. What in the gently caress were they thinking giving us a full dose of the game but not releasing it for a whole month after? When that games come out I am mainlining that poo poo. Seriously, the story I've played thus far along with the beautiful graphics, music and fun turn based gameplay....this will be the first JRPG that I've really lost myself to (ok I beat Super Mario RPG for SNES a bunch of times but that only sorta counts). I mean, maybe they've really just frontloaded the game with the good stuff but this seems like it's going to be very, very good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So is this a brand new demo for Octopath?

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

THE loving MOON posted:

Silver Falcon posted:

So... she doesn't have Zelda yet? Any particular reason? (If not, get her Zelda!)

Or Mario!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes, it's the first three hours of the game essentially.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rolo posted:

Octopath will be a good test of whether Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are just good because they’re 99% nostalgia.

Chrono trigger is good cause the music and numerous cool story paths

Earthbound is good cause of the humor and writing and its bizarre sensibilities

As games to sit and play in modern times they both piss me off a lot tho.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

Chrono Trigger straight-up has one of the best-paced stories in any videogame, regardless of genre. everything happens at the right time and there's always a feeling of momentum. i think there's some parts of it that are dated, but as far as snes-era jrpgs go, it has aged very well indeed

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

it is, you can play as all 8 now

you only get one save file and it locks when you've played for 3 hours, but you can just make a new save file and keep trying out everyone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

Chrono Trigger straight-up has one of the best-paced stories in any videogame, regardless of genre. everything happens at the right time and there's always a feeling of momentum. i think there's some parts of it that are dated, but as far as snes-era jrpgs go, it has aged very well indeed

terminator future is a really long segment for so early in the game. It sets the stakes but it kills my attempted replays often

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rolo posted:

This isn't even a hot take because uh... you are aware that there are people who didn't play either of those games when they were new who can weigh in on whether they're good outside nostalgia, right?

Like me? I only played Earthbound for the first time when it came out for the Wii U and Chrono Trigger with the DS remake.

They're good. They are both good games, even if you have precisely zero nostalgia for them. I enjoyed them both very much.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Your Computer posted:

it is, you can play as all 8 now

you only get one save file and it locks when you've played for 3 hours, but you can just make a new save file and keep trying out everyone

Cool. You convinced me to play. I'll try all 8 and then decide who i want to start over with in the full version. DOPE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Octopath wasn't even on my radar but this sounds interesting. Does your save carry over into the full game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Octopath wasn't even on my radar but this sounds interesting. Does your save carry over into the full game

Yes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you're worried about a 3 hour time limit, Oberson and Primrose are in the first demo and their origin story have no time limit (but also none of the QoL features in the demo).

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Those are the ones I had in mind actually lol. I dunno about Splatoon. Mario and Zelda are both safe picks, but ive never known her to really be into competitive games.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 18, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm holding onto the demo til sometime in July so I can comfortably segue over to the full release once it's out!

So I haven't even had a chance to check out all the changes etc, hearing you all y'all about it gets me more and more hyped! I'm a huge SNES era rpg nerd

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are better than most RPGs just because they don’t have random battles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are better than most RPGs just because they don’t have random battles.

Random battles hasn't been a thing outside of octopath in like a decade

edit: Accidentally wandered into the switch reddit, like half the posts are "Finally, I can skip all the dialogue"

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 18, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chrono trigger has a lot of rear end in a top hat ones that jump at you tho

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

People keep saying this but the only real difference is that you see the enemies before you're forced to fight them. You're still battling every three steps :v: Yeah I know there's a couple of places where you can avoid battles but for every spot in Chrono Trigger where you can sneak past enemies there are three spots where you cross an invisible tile and enemies jump out of the bushes to ambush you.

Not that random battles are necessarily any better, mind you. I did really enjoy how Bravely Default did it by letting the player get full control over encounter rate though. Want to turn it up to 11 and grind out some battles for exp or job points? Feel free! Want to completely turn off encounters and just cruise through the story for a bit? Go for it!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Tae posted:

Pokemon?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bravely is a big recent jrpg series where the whole point was redeeming random battles and putting the player in charge of them as a leveling tool

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't mind random encounters in RPGs as long as I am not getting through the majority of them purely by using regular attacks. Story and exploration is always good but the battles are part of why I'm there too so sure give me some non-boss things to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah Bravely also let you turn on/off EXP gain, gold gain and JP gain so you could completely customize your experience. And there was an incredibly robust auto-battle system. And the Brave/Default system let you finish battles in a single round.

ask me how much I love Bravely Default :woop:

unfortunately, if the demo is any indication they didn't keep any of this in Octopath Traveler.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
poo poo. Just bought hallow knight and persona 5 and forgot that I have bravely default to beat. Welp.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Edit: Wrong thread lol

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bravely Default/Second are wonderful and although Octopath Traveler looks good enough on its own, it's an instant buy for me based on their good will alone.

Tae posted:

edit: Accidentally wandered into the switch reddit, like half the posts are "Finally, I can skip all the dialogue"
What the gently caress do these people even play RPGs for

I mean the battles can be fun in a puzzle-like way but surely not enough to sustain interest more than the story?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I liked Radiant Historia cause it didn't have random battles just the enemies jumping around the map but you could strike them to stun and avoid a battle.

I don't know why in Octopath Traveller I didn't mind the random battles. Maybe cause the fighting is simple and fun. I wanted to keep grinding the first demo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Bravely Default/Second are wonderful and although Octopath Traveler looks good enough on its own, it's an instant buy for me based on their good will alone.

I mean the battles can be fun in a puzzle-like way but surely not enough to sustain interest more than the story?

Skipping dialog is huge for replayability and fast readers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren::boonie::australia::siren: ATTN AusGoons - BigW has Mario Tennis Aces for $62. That is almost 25% off the full retail/digital price! :siren::australia::boonie::siren:

That is a straight up banananoos saving.

Buy it from BigW

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So far I'm enjoying hollow knight, but I'm not head over heels for it like some people. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the sound and feel of combat is really crunchy/scratchy and, I don't know...chitinous? It really sells the "we are bugs" aspect.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Octopath has surprisingly deep rpg battles tbh. Though like, with Path actions I definitely want to be reading as much of the story as I can.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I really enjoyed the Primrose story. It was simple but mature. The game is straight to the point. Might as well call it Archetype Traveller.

I don't know how much has changed since the original demo but a lot of game's journalists said what they played was super difficult. Maybe be cause that last preview they had was of a later chunk of the game. Has anyone that played the new demo find it harder than the first? All I did in the first was know when to BOOST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

enojy posted:

No noteworthy sales on physical games right now AFAIK, but Nintendo is having an ultra rare actually-decent E3 digital sale right now. Splatoon 2 is $40. I firmly believe every Switch owner should have Splatoon 2, so there you go! Especially if she's younger; little kids eat that poo poo up bigtime, but it's good for all ages.

Maybe pick up a $40 eShop card at retail, pull a sly one and say you want to check out her Switch, go through the motions and hand it back to her with Splatoon 2 downloading?

I'll add here a bit late in case it is of interest, that the sales on the eshop translate to the physical copies in most stores. I know my local best buy, target, and walmart were selling mario rabbids for 29.99, which is the game I bought myself. The sales end on the 21st I believe.

• Locked thread