Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

precision posted:

(which, after BBC's Neverwhere, who can blame him?)

Imma fight you. Fair warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
haha i don't think it's as bad as some people do, i actually like it, but wow it is some pure unfiltered 90s. when you bought it on VHS they shipped it to you in a leather duster with a pack of cloves.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As cheap as it looks, BBC's Neverwhere is easily better than American Gods. Though I was never a huge fan of American Gods the book, and some of the Neverwhere casting is amazing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Oasx posted:

As cheap as it looks, BBC's Neverwhere is easily better than American Gods. Though I was never a huge fan of American Gods the book, and some of the Neverwhere casting is amazing.

It helps that Neverwhere the show was created prior to Neverwhere the book.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

I'm REALLY gonna miss Gillian Anderson though.

drat, why did she leave?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

drat, why did she leave?

Because Bryan Fuller quit because he couldn't get HBO money for his show on Starz.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Because Bryan Fuller quit because he couldn't get HBO money for his show on Starz.

10 million dollars an episode, which works out to like 12 fifty a viewer.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Open Source Idiom posted:

http://tvline.com/2018/04/03/american-gods-season-2-new-media-gillian-anderson/

Gillian Anderson's leaving is official, but it appears that they're not so much recasting as creating a new character to take up the role of "New Media". Which is a little bullshit given that's Technical Boy's field, but whatever.

Bet they'll cast Greta Lee.

:wtc: how is this even gonna work. Is she at least going to be in one episode to get killed off?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Billzasilver posted:

:wtc: how is this even gonna work. Is she at least going to be in one episode to get killed off?

She's media and can look like anything she wants

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Nah, with Fuller out out she's out out too

This and X-Files, you'll never see her in again

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
So what stage of production is this currently at? I don't keep close tabs on these things.

I ask because I just sold a rather....... Interesting piece of custom furniture to "a Starz production" and I'm very curious if it's going to show up on the show

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Javid posted:

So what stage of production is this currently at? I don't keep close tabs on these things.

I ask because I just sold a rather....... Interesting piece of custom furniture to "a Starz production" and I'm very curious if it's going to show up on the show

Gaiman posted this a couple months ago, and it premiers sometime next year. That's all I know of.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
sooooo S2 sounds like a loving trainwreck

quote:

Jesse Alexander, who took over Starz's American Gods in February after original showrunners Michael Green and Bryan Fuller were pushed out, has been sidelined, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Insiders say Alexander was asked to stop working on American Gods, an adaptation of a Neil Gaiman novel, about a month ago. The word "fired" was not used internally, and a representative for Alexander said that characterization was not accurate. But Alexander, an executive producer, is no longer working on the hyper-stylized drama as a writer or showrunner, and has been asked not to sit in on editing, be involved on set or participate in any other areas of production or postproduction. One source described Alexander's role as effectively "fired but not fired,” as he has been relegated to the sidelines on season two but has yet to be replaced. Sources note that Fremantle, the show's studio, would rather exile Alexander than endure the negative attention that would come with dismissing a second showrunner in two seasons.

quote:

Production on the drama, which is six weeks behind and recently was forced to go on a hiatus, is in disarray. Castmembers have not received copies of the script for the show's season two finale because, as one source put it, "there is no script." Another source says it’s possible the crew has received a far-from-finished version of the finale script, but whatever has been partially distributed is almost guaranteed to go through extensive changes. Instead of shooting the season finale, which should have been in production already, American Gods has been filming pickups and reshoots of earlier episodes.

Read the whole thing; it actually gets even worse.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Put on the American Gods title theme while reading that for that extra sense of dread.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
RIP good show

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

quote:

Alexander turned in multiple drafts of the show's season two finale, but executives at both Starz and Fremantle have rejected those scripts and are up to what sources described as a seventh draft.

:lol:

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Insiders stress that Fremantle opted to go with Alexander because the studio believed they could have a level of control over him that they couldn't with Fuller and Green. Alexander is said to have also appealed to Gaiman because the scripts he oversaw would stick largely to the novel. The way that Fuller and Green built out and developed the world of American Gods in the first season was a source of irritation for Gaiman, insiders say.

From the moment Green and Fuller were fired — largely at the behest of Fremantle, and "fired" is the word Green has used on social media — efforts were made to bring Gods more in line with what Gaiman wanted, sources say. Gaiman's level of involvement in that dismissal is unclear, but insiders note it’s unlikely Fremantle would have done something so extreme without his consent. In any event, season two represents an attempt to bring the show closer to his 2001 book, insiders say.

Starz is also said to be unhappy with Alexander, who, according to several accounts, took Gods in a more conventional direction. Though Fremantle and Gaiman supported Alexander — at least until recently — the premium cable network, sources say, balked at that evolution, and wanted more of the atmospheric, hypnotic tone that Green and Fuller had created.

It sounds like nobody there knows what they want American Gods to be.

Wow. That article is a good read.

quote:

After Alexander was sidelined, an attempt was made to promote another writer to the showrunner position, but sources say that the unnamed individual left the production almost immediately after being elevated.

:lol:

xerxus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 12, 2018

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've started reading the book.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo. I doubt the guy was writing the finale by himself, so I'm guessing that writer saw what kind of poo poo he was getting and didn't want any part of it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it was a good first season, shame about the egos in charge.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Well, this is all terrible news :smith:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Well poo poo. How does this sort of thing usually work by the way? Does the show runner tend to have creative control of script writing or is it common for production companies to reject scripts?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At least now Fuller isn't getting all the blame

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

$30 million over budget for Season 1 and they are already over budget for Season 2 :tif:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

mallratcal posted:

$30 million over budget for Season 1 and they are already over budget for Season 2 :tif:

wasn't that literally why they replaced fuller though

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

At least now Fuller isn't getting all the blame

He is, this is all happening because he left

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Javid posted:

wasn't that literally why they replaced fuller though

Yup. Glad it's worked out for them.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
turns out they should have just haggled Fuller down a little

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I mean despite all this I'll still probably enjoy it if anything else it'll try being like the novel, which sure is kind of too late with the wheels they've set in motion. Though I wonder what roles or moves that they made have made Gaiman upset since he seems like one of those authors who doesn't mind if they change things to suit the medium.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Hollywood Reporter article misattributes(?) Good Omens to Fremantle, but either way Gaiman's dipping his toes in the TV-making waters himself and might have started developing Opinions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm past the middle of the first season...

What the hell?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm past the middle of the first season...

What the hell?

You survived ep4. Enjoy the rest of the ride, it's great.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EJEa9aW5PQ

Season 2 Trailer. New Media, God-Body Odin, and the Carousel at House on the Rock!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

aaaannd it's region-locked. I'm assuming it's the same trailer as this alternative source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjMKmB3TcJA

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

double nine posted:

aaaannd it's region-locked. I'm assuming it's the same trailer as this alternative source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjMKmB3TcJA

Yup

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I had pretty much given up on this show, but I have now ungiven up on it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that seems rad as hell and like they didn’t skip a beat. Gillian missed out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Isn't it an Amazon Prime series? Why the hell is it region locked?!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Combat Pretzel posted:

Isn't it an Amazon Prime series? Why the hell is it region locked?!

It's a Starz series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hope the actual season lives up to the vibe of that trailer.