Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Celeste is really, really good and puts The End Is Nigh to shame by doing challenging platformer with lots of exploration, secrets and dark themes so much better, and with so much more respect for the player. The music is fantastic too. I did think End is Nigh was pretty good, but Celeste really hammers home the fact that all the problems I had with it were totally unnecessary and could have been done far better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

il_cornuto posted:

and dark themes so much better
Not so much in the non-English versions, mind.

https://twitter.com/koestl/status/1005873067523002368

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thoughts on Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr?

I'm definitely not spending $50, but I'm always eager to try new ARPGs (when they're more in my budget range).

I don't particularly care one way or another about WH40K.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Is anyone playing 40k Inquisitor - Martyr? Don't see a thread for it, but would love to team up with some goons.

Send an app to my cabal Astra_Teledildonica

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Kins posted:

Apparently the Japanese translation is a mess in general. There's a ton of really unnatural and awkward language. What's the equivalent of Engrish but in Japanese? Celeste's Japanese translation is that. Thanks again, NISA. (not that this affects anyone here, probably)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm definitely not spending $50, but I'm always eager to try new ARPGs (when they're more in my budget range).

If you’re not a 40k fan I’d definitely wait, it’s not nearly as good as PoE or Grim Dawn yet but the developers have a track record of great post-launch support so that could change. They’re already addressing some of my big concerns like enemy variety (a fifth enemy faction is getting added soon), but there’s lots of stuff that still needs work, like balance (the difference in power between the Psyker and Crusader classes is ABSURD) and loot in general (Legendary loot is randomized like everything else, so it’s very unlikely to actually be worth using).

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 17, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Moltke posted:

Is anyone playing 40k Inquisitor - Martyr? Don't see a thread for it, but would love to team up with some goons.

Send an app to my cabal Astra_Teledildonica

Here's the thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859656

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

It looks pretty good but the fact it has an online connection requirement has made me stay far away. I realize that's not a big deal for some folks but I travel a lot for work.

I made that mistake with Diablo 3.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Has anyone played Megaton Rainfall? It feels like the sort of thing that'll show up in a bundle at some point, but it looks like it could be fun for about 10 bucks. Always enjoy games that let me blow up buildings and stuff.

I figure it'll hold me over till I can replay through Red Faction Guerrilla for the third time when the remaster comes out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Kins posted:

So... For the very few of us who don't actually read Japanese, what does this say?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

So... For the very few of us who don't actually read Japanese, what does this say?

It's extremely strong language for "insane", and it's extra weird because it's being used to describe a dream, not a person. The original context is the guy saying a dream is "messed-up", so it's possible the translators didn't understand how to translate that slang or something.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Pigbuster posted:

It's extremely strong language for "insane", and it's extra weird because it's being used to describe a dream, not a person. The original context is the guy saying a dream is "messed-up", so it's possible the translators didn't understand how to translate that slang or something.

I just had the most retarded dream

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I just had the most retarded dream

Is it the one where you show up to school and its show and tell, and the subject is pants, and you aren't wearing any pants?

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It's extra sucky because that conversation in English is well written and tackles mental illness well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HenryEx posted:

Just put a Subtitles checkbox under all options tabs.

Problem solved.
:hai:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems like a dumb question but if I plug a Xbone controller (older version) directly into a PC it oughta work without any loving around right?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

codo27 posted:

Seems like a dumb question but if I plug a Xbone controller (older version) directly into a PC it oughta work without any loving around right?

Yup. The Xbox One controllers use wired communication when connected, unlike the 360 controllers. All models will work like this so you don't have to guess which.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Just beat Environmental Station Alpha. Really well made Metroidvania with some tough as poo poo bosses. Especially the last one. I think I tried it like 40 times. The good news is, by the end, i could play each boss almost without being touched.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:jihad:FPSummer :jihad:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3

17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

The first-person shooter genre is woefully short on westerns, and I have no idea why. For a genre built around gunplay you’d think there would be more titles set in the period of America most defined by guns. Yet our options are limited to just a few each generation, and a decade ago it was the Call of Juarez series. Bound in Blood was their second release, mostly unconnected from the first game as I understand it but built upon the same concepts of shootouts and duels. More importantly, it makes those concepts a fast-paced, rip-roaring good time with a few little bonuses to sweeten the deal.

Bound in Blood is the story of the McCall brothers, Ray, Thomas, and William, and like any good story about brothers it revolves around a woman. After seeing their home razed by Sherman’s men in the Civil War, Ray and Thomas desert the Confederate army and become drifters out west with their preacher brother William in tow. There they lose themselves gunfighting and sticking their dicks where they don’t belong, until a sheriff runs them off to Mexico. A few more gunfights find them in the company of Juarez, a bandit lord hunting for a legendary treasure with a beautiful maiden, Marissa, at his side. Ray and Thomas may be out for the gold but their real quest is for the girl, and their long and bloody road might just come to a dead end for them both.

It’s a classic western tale rife with betrayals and revenge, perfect for pushing you the many frontier towns and mines full of gunslingers. There are plenty of cutscenes to keep you in the story, featuring some finely-detailed characters and some fantastic voice work from the brothers. Ray and Thomas are quintessential anti-heroes, charming and arrogant and flawed, always ready to spar with each other or make sport of their bloody work. Certain scenes are put together well enough to get a fist pump from me, like William trying to convince Ray not to kill a particular bounty target. It’s a mark of a fine narrative to have characters you’re not rooting for, but you nevertheless want to see their whole story play out.

Said story plays out over more than a dozen twisting levels, taking you from the trenches of the Civil War to the hidden temples of the Aztecs. Most levels let you play as either Ray or Thomas, with the other backing you up or taking alternate routes. Ray is the brawler, focused on dual pistols, shotguns, and a special power that lets him paint targets to cut down all at once. Thomas is more of a sniper with his rifle and throwing knives, and can lasso or mantle his way around high places and pop off enemies in sequence with his special. No matter who you pick you’ll be running and gunning through dusty streets and musty caves, stopping only for dramatic door-kicking scenes or duels where you reach and draw your shootin’ iron with the mouse.

These many elements give the game some much-needed variety, because the basic FPS action is pretty straightforward. Other than a smart cover system that lets you peek over and around things with just the mouse, you’ll just be pushing forward and blasting whatever enemies cross your path with pistols most of the time. You can do a little scrounging to turn up secrets that unlock art and photos, and money to buy better guns every few levels, and there are even a few open-worldish interludes where you can explore the town of Juarez and do side missions. Still, all of this is built around a very basic combat system with a period-accurate but understandably limited arsenal.

This is not to say Bound in Blood is bad, by any means, just not as robust as more modern games or even its successor, Gunslinger. All it has over that one is length, which isn’t always a plus if you get stuck on a frustrating sequence like the stagecoach escape that tripped me up. But this is still a title to be treasured, a quality western shooter with a story and combat that fit the setting perfectly. Being a little dated and a little limited isn’t nearly enough to keep Bound in Blood from being a hell of a good time, one that’ll last you a nice long while and keep a grin on your face the whole way through.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

Wow, that's a shame. I wonder if the translators were scammers who just machine translated everything.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

strategery posted:

Just beat Environmental Station Alpha. Really well made Metroidvania with some tough as poo poo bosses. Especially the last one. I think I tried it like 40 times. The good news is, by the end, i could play each boss almost without being touched.

ESA has some drat good bosses. The kind that's bullshit at first but you slowly figure their patterns and by the end you're running loops around them.

FURI gave me a similar rush.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Shadow of Mordor) Ha, I love how crazy this game gets. I started a new game to show it off to someone, and so immediately after getting into the open world, I headed for Githuk the Slaver. Before I got there, I had to backtrack because a giant troll-thing killed a captain I had no idea existed at that point. After collecting the rune the troll-thing killed me while I was fighting other orcs.

Back on the trail of Githuk, I snuck up behind an orc to stealth-kill him, but whoops, it was another Captain. That was fine, but fighting him gathered more followers, and then another captain showed up, then another, and another, and I had to run off and find herbs. Then another one showed up, and it turned into this big mess. Unfortunately two of the Captains were archers, which is why I was dying. They kept peppering me with arrows, and after a while I ran out of nearby herbs and then ran out of last-chance saves, and was killed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Ray is one of the playable characters in Call of Juarez 1, and the other is Thomas's son (he's terrible though, as is the game)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

Wow, that's a shame. I wonder if the translators were scammers who just machine translated everything.
The developers said in a reply to that tweet that they hired a translation company to handle the localizations. Clyde Mandelin, whose fantastic recent article on things indie devs should watch out for when handling localisation bought this to my attention, is pretty sure that this was handled by "a reverse-auction translator who agreed to translate it for the lowest price but didn’t really know what they were doing".

So they probably hired an agency that farmed it out to someone barely-qualified for cheap, then blindly trusted the results because they didn't know anybody who knew the language and could give it a quick skim-over. A pretty unfortunate chain of events that probably happens a lot with indie devs that want international sales, but usually not with as dramatic an outcome.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 18, 2018

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Wreckfest is really fun. You unlock everything by playing the game. There's lots of difficulty options. There's lots of different modes. There's a nice selection of cars. There's lawnmower racing so you can cosplay as Hank Hill. Multiplayer is a blast, especially if you find a good server. But you'll probably run into race sim nerds that yell at you to stay in your lane even though this is an arcade racing game that rewards you with experience points for being a complete rear end in a top hat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is Vampyr any good? Should I just replay Bloodborne instead?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

Is Vampyr any good? Should I just replay Bloodborne instead?
... I don't think Bloodborne and Vampyr are remotely the same kind of game, I thought Vampyr was a more "Talking to people with dialogue trees and such" RPG. While Bloodborne, like the Dark Souls games, you play a mute violence-dispenser.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vampyr is like a detective game with heavy dialogue and janky combat, pretty much the exact opposite of Bloodborne. It's cool though!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

were you thinking of bloodlines

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Hmnnn... I watched a video of the first area and mostly saw souls-like combat and a lot or red :shrug:

Thanks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In that case yes, you should absolutely replay Bloodborne instead.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Wait for a sale, definitely not worth full price, doubly so if you're not a warham nerd.

It has some fairly clever ideas about gun combat in an arpg, and the overall structure and content of the game is solid enough, but the game just doesn't feel polished, and critically, the combat lacks punch, a cardinal sin for an arpg and even worse for a 40k arpg. When you can go play Path of Exile or Grim Dawn or Diablo 3 instead, there's little reason to pay for Martyr as it stands.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Stokes posted:

Wreckfest is really fun. You unlock everything by playing the game. There's lots of difficulty options. There's lots of different modes. There's a nice selection of cars. There's lawnmower racing so you can cosplay as Hank Hill. Multiplayer is a blast, especially if you find a good server. But you'll probably run into race sim nerds that yell at you to stay in your lane even though this is an arcade racing game that rewards you with experience points for being a complete rear end in a top hat.

It is pretty great, and the sequel to Destruction Derby 2 that we never got. I am a bit miffed though that Wreckfest has a can't-get-around energy bar and the wheels don't pop off. In Destruction Derby games you could always smash things with your rear end and not stall out since your engine wasn't back there. In DD2 your wheels could pop off and it was cool and good, especially if you lost two front wheels!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Stokes posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with the Racing Sim nerds getting their finger into this game? I noticed they got in on the floor not too far into EA.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Kins posted:

A pretty unfortunate chain of events that probably happens a lot with indie devs that want international sales, but usually not with as dramatic an outcome.

Reminds me: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/296327/Steam_games_in_China_Making_the_most_of_a_lucrative_opportunity.php

quote:

Also caught by surprise sales on Steam coming from China was Mike Hergaarden of Dutch studio M2H. Their multiplayer party game Marooners has generated 18 percent of its revenue from China, selling 3205 units so far on Steam, which is 24 percent of total units sold.

Hergaarden and his team have been trying to figure out what exactly it is about Marooners that Chinese players were attracted to. It wasn’t any of the marketing text, as the Steam store page was in English only, but it was listed as having a Chinese translation available, which is something it has in common with Hidden Folks.

However, Hergaarden notes that Marooners’ initial Chinese translation wasn’t ideal. “I was bored one evening before the official launch, and on a hunch, I used Fiverr for a simple Chinese translation,” he says. The result was a robot-like translation of the game’s few text passages into Chinese. At least, that’s how the people in a Chinese forum thread described how it reads.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

(Shadow of Mordor)

I just started replaying, too and yeah it’s fun. I forgot how easy it is to get overwhelmed in the beginning so I got like 4 captains and warchiefs making fun of me. Now I’m systematically taking out their bodyguards and training up for revenge, good poo poo. Hopefully Shadow of War gets a good sale.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?

The Kins posted:

The developers said in a reply to that tweet that they hired a translation company to handle the localizations. Clyde Mandelin, whose fantastic recent article on things indie devs should watch out for when handling localisation bought this to my attention, is pretty sure that this was handled by "a reverse-auction translator who agreed to translate it for the lowest price but didn’t really know what they were doing".

So they probably hired an agency that farmed it out to someone barely-qualified for cheap, then blindly trusted the results because they didn't know anybody who knew the language and could give it a quick skim-over. A pretty unfortunate chain of events that probably happens a lot with indie devs that want international sales, but usually not with as dramatic an outcome.

Yeah. Loads of people contacted us, offering to do translations for our game. However because of heavy bitmap font usage and because I can't verify translations I never felt comfortable letting that happen.
On Steam that and a bunch of key-beggers == the most attention you seem to get really

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Hell, on that note, every game should come with a universal pause that works at anytime, anywhere in the game. Middle of a conversation? Pause. Middle of a cutscene? Pause. Things come up suddenly all the time and I've been caught in situations where I have to skip stuff just to be able to pause too drat often.

Multiplayer games can be an exception, I guess...

Some (very few) games forgo pause options entirely for the purpose of having higher stakes and not letting you calm down/breathe, mostly due inspiration from Souls games. So universal pause will likely not happen or deva will be handed an option whether the game supports universal pause or whatever.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Having a pause anytime button that works 100% of the time is one of the best things about PS4. I use it all the time. On the other hand, allowing the developer to disable screenshots and recording/streaming of any part of the game, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Pulling up the Steam overlay will pause a lot of “unpausable” cutscenes, but not all of them.