Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

PP: 0 XP: 2 Stress: 0 Complications:

"EEEH! 0-2 I'm afraid, Miss Fury!" Peter snarks at her guesses. Apparently every universe's Miss Fury was unfamiliar with multiverses. That was a good excuse, anyway. Because really, if anybody knew about the relationship between Peter and his brother/archenemy/attempted(?) murderer, they would know NOT to joke with the Green Goblin about it. His fist clenched even as he chuckled. "I mean, assuming you're not like, actually Wade's dau-" he started to follow up to Gwen over his shoulder.

Taking an xp to cover up anger with humor for that comment

And then Hercules smashed the floor open and they all jumped down it, after Captain Rogers' pronouncement to hurry and follow. Peter shrugged and piloted the glider down into the floor hole after them. Idly, he started wondering about if the other team had managed to off Killgrave, if he and Gwen were successful in luring them out.

But, it seemed like the other team was there, too, for some reason, right below, and Captain Rogers was making a pronouncement at them, too. This one definitely hadn't retired then.

"Oh, hey, looks like you guys followed us, uh, is the Purple Man here, then? Should we try taking him out now or, something?"

Then of course, Bullseye shoved her bow into the guy who appeared to be Nick Fury cosplaying as Robin Hood's face. "Ok, so it's 'Or something', then. Can we kind of not do this now, Bullseye?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

PP: 3, Stress: 0, XP: 1

The cold look on her brow is steady for a moment as Fury monologues, then, she arches the patched eyebrow as she eases up on the bow, sliding the arrow back into its quiver, "Yeah... okay, nevermind." She eyes Cap and looks him up and down, her hand still on the shaft of the arrow, "I'm never gonna get used to this. Hey look, an old Whiskers... speaking of, where's ours?" She looks to the others before her eyes settled on the frozen Faustus, glancing at Hercules, "hey, Pumping Iron, wanna grab the popsicle while we get the hell out of here? Seems like not the greatest idea to hang around."

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 11, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Slapstick

The roof smashes open and Slapstick watches impassively. Not even offering a wry remark to the accusation. As the dust clears and the new arrivals arrive. There's a sudden scurrying as a pair of eyes, ears, and a mouth scamper out of hiding and run around Gwenpool's feet.

"Gwennieeeee!" The mouth says. "You're a sight with sore eyes. Gosh you look so good I could eat you up!" It glances over to the guards. "Uhh... not like that." Slapstick's body is throwing finger guns.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

Elijah stands, brushing himself off.

"A pleasure. Elijah Snow." He ignores the drawn arrow. "I wouldn't worry too much about the popsicle, as you put it, if we have to leave him. He's stuck in there for...oh, quite some time." He pauses, and the room's temperature drops significantly. "...yes, quite some time. They shouldn't have proper heating going for quite a bit. He'll have some very nasty frostbite by the time he's out of there. As for your world, sir...well, let's put that aside for now, but I can tell you that I will do my best to get that answer for you."

He looks up at Peter.

"I'm afraid we don't know too much about where the president is right now. Have you seen Miss Fury? She went to one of the other studios, I think."

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

1 PP, 0 XP, d12 Mesmerized complication

Purple Man posted:

Tell me
TELL ME
TELL ME

He wasn't wrong. Not that she would have denied it, but being forced to speak about it was... infuriating.

"My Mother has forced me into pageants, auditions, and performances since as early as I can remember. She uses my name, my face, and my life, to meet her own unfulfilled ambitions. She does not love me." She did as commanded. But he never told her to stop talking. "I have met and exceeded her tiny dreams."

---
Reaction pool: Solo d10, Thrill-Seeking Socialite at d4 (+1 pp), Covert Expert d8 and spending a pp to create an "Intelligence 101 - Reading Between the Lines" stunt based on it, plus Purple Man's emotional stress at d10 = (8+9)+(7+2)+(2)
Result: 17 with a d8 effect. No opportunities, because I'm not using any powers.
+1/-1 pp

---

It was painful, yes, but this was a pain Patsy had come to terms with, as much as one can. This whole situation was, after all, a result of her taking control of her own life, something the Purple Man had just unwittingly confirmed to her was a strength she shared with her local counterpart, who likewise had evaded his control. Patsy might offer a tip about attempted interrogations, regarding the flow of information.

"What about you, Mister Killgrave? You've enslaved the world to worship you, but it seems to me a rather hollow gesture. Why do you need to be the center of attention? Didn't your mumsy wumsy think you were a big man? Important? A star? No?"

---
This is why I need psych expert. But still, psychological warfare training kind of works, since turning questions and accusations around on your captors is a pretty straightforward and effective active defense. Especially against amateurs.

Attacking for psychological stress: Solo d10, Thrill-Seeking socialite at d8 (because gently caress you for mentioning it, Purp,) Covert Expert d8 and spending another pp to create an "Never Attack your Own Weak Points" stunt at d8, and of course, his emotional stress at d10 = (7+4)+(8+3+8)
Result is 16 with a d10 effect.
-1 pp.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 11, 2018

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Peter shakes his head in response to Snow's question. "Just the local flavor, I'm afraid." He scoffs for a moment. "Just like cats to go wandering off..." a bit of wistfulness at that. "Anyway, I should probably start pinging everyone with a tracer if we're going to keep splitting up."

He takes a look around. "So then, what'd you all get up to anyway, knocking out more poorly dressed sub-bosses? Loads of fun, innit?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

PP: 1 | XP: 0 | Stress: n/a

"Wow. Gross. No.", Gwenpool manages as she cringes away from Old Woman Hellcat exaggeratedly.

Then an explosion goes off above.

"My last name is Poole, if you just read the dialogue, there's an e-" She stops as Slapstick runs circles around her, and she puts her hands on her knees to crouch over. "Wait, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be storming the White House? I mean Purple House." She looks to Elijah, a bit crestfallen, "Aw, I gave you the big dramatic confrontation, and you came here to the wacky comedy b-fight?" She stands up. "I don't know whether or not to be glad to see you or peeved at your total vote of unconfidence here."

She waves her hands. "But the thees and thous have it, we should probably get out of Mind Control Classics here. Maybe blow some stuff up indiscriminately on the way out, this place is creeper central."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 12, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Elijah

“Unfortunately, things didn’t end up going to plan, no. We had more trouble than expected and...well, you see what happened.”

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Bookkeeping Post

Undisclosed Location

@Lager: 2d8+1d10+1d12 Purple Man's reaction (Solo, Schemer, Psych Master, Purple Man's Control) = (8+4)+(5)+(1) = 18; Comes out to 13 with a d8 effect, so he's stepped up to d12 emotional stress!

The Purple Man's face again contorts to rage. "Don't piss me off, Patsy!" He spits the words, and then stands as he sips his whiskey. "I never asked for these powers, and I'm doing you people a favor by being so nice. You should be showing me gratitude. I could make you say it, you know that I could. But I'm playing fair with you."

He fiddles with the remote control, switching back and forth through channels before turning it off. "I've already killed your friends, you're the only one left. Whatever you were here for, you've already failed." He finishes the whiskey just as he finishes lying to his captive. "This is becoming less and less amusing. I'm going to ask you some questions now. If I like the answer, maybe I'll just kill you. And if you keep annoying me..." His voice rises in intensity as his whole face tenses in anger. "Did you know that, if I wanted, I could make you go to sleep and never wake up? I could make you dream about being a little girl, failing at all those auditions and all those pageants, over and over again. I could make you see that disappointed look, the one that we both know your mother gave you, for the rest of your filthy little life. Now...Tell me who you really are. Tell me why you're here."

Rolling another attack, this one's a little more vicious. Solo, Abusive Psychopath, Mind Control, Psychoactive Pheromones, Psych Master, Purple Man's Control...@Lager: 1d6+2d8+2d10+1d12 = (2)+(1+1)+(6+4)+(10) = 24; 16 with a d10 effect for Emotional Stress. I rolled two opportunities, so you can add a d10 stunt if you choose to activate one.

30 Rock

Captain America signals to everyone to follow him, making introductions along the way. "Sir Nicholas Fury, Hellcat, and Hercules. Though it seems like some of you at least already know we we are. It's alright - Sir Nicholas and I have a bit of experience with dimensional travel." The group heads down the hallway they came from originally. "The woman in black was one of yours, I'm guessing she was the Miss Fury you mentioned. I'm afraid that she's been captured." The citizens outside the studio all continue to hide and turn away from the heroes, apparently still programmed to deny the existence of heroes. A few armed guards threaten to attack, but Hercules makes short work of them. The team is approaching a window, and Cap holds his shield up as Sir Nicholas grabs onto Hercules's back. "We'd been trying to find a way to strike back at Kilgrave, but I'm sorry to say we'd been coming up short until your arrival. You've just given us an opportunity."

*CRASH*

Cap jumps through the window, diving into a garbage truck conveniently waiting below. Hercules, carrying Sir Nicholas, does the same. Hellcat rolls her eyes and holds her nose as she leaps. Cap calls up them, waving for them to follow. "It's not much, but it's the best transport we can offer to get away from here!" The sound of sirens approaching is a clear sign that they have very little time to follow Cap's team before they're spotted and risk another battle, or capture.

Lager fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 12, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

She looks over the edge and shrugs, turning to glance back at the others, "Not like we have any other options." She leans back out the window and falls, lacing her fingers behind her head as she plummets, gently landing on a surprisingly clean mattress that was laying on the top of the truck's pile. She bounces a few times, the aged springs squeaking, before settling in and flashing a 'V' for victory up at the others far above, crossing her ankles and reclining.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Well, we need to rescue her. No joke.", Gwenpool says simply to Captain America, but moving to follow after him. "Ugh, should I just skip forward or..." A slight shake of her head, and she leaps after, cannonballing down before there's a splash of garbage on impact.

"I'm pretty sure this is the worst Quinjet ride I've had.", she mumbles as she stretches out, frowning as she elbows stink-lines aside, slapping them out of the way.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Right, rescue for sure." The Goblin readily agrees as Gwenpoole states the next objective.

Luckily, Peter came with his own ride, which he gently touched down on the uh, least stinky looking piece of garbage and then hunkered down low. "This sort of takes me back to when I was first getting started. How about the rest of you?"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Raging Rocketeer posted:

"This sort of takes me back to when I was first getting started. How about the rest of you?"

Her eyes narrow slightly as she stares up at the clouds lazily wafting by, "My first hunt I broke into Iron Monger's apartment through the garbage chute to sabotage one of her suits, so kinda."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"There was the time I stole a supervirus from Black Cat and leaped into a truck full of ducks. Man, I don't know why they say 'lucky duck', you know? I mean, it was lucky for me, tragic for the ducks." Gwen pauses in realization. "Oh, I should mention, that was back when I was a villain? Sort of? It was more the wacky hijinks sort of villainy. More like an anti-hero, really. But I got over it! Wasn't anything that way for me but black lipstick and a really atrocious cape. But they didn't want me to be a hero, I guess. So I ended up here."

She gives a crooked, weak smile and a shrug. "But what can you do? The alternative was starting Civil War 3 and two of those was more than dumb enough."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

PP: 2 | XP: 4

Slapstick scooped up her own face, pushing it back into face with a sound like a slap. Okay, it was all in the wrong place, and she looked like an abstract art piece. But that was basically par for the course.

"I mean, it wasn't like we knew where you'd gone... but I won't lie, I was worried." She shrugged self consciously. "I mean, let a bad guy with mind control have you in their clutches? I couldn't bare that." It was a strangely human moment. A window into the soul that became Slapstick. But it vanished as quickly as it appeared.

"CANNONBALL!" She yelled, as she leapt out of the window. Missing the landing point and smashing into the ground like a plate of wet jelly. A pair of eyes blinked into existence on top of the Slapgoop. And she scooted along after the others off screen.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

0 PP, 0 XP, d12 Mesmerized complication

Purple Man posted:

TELL ME... TELL ME

She made no effort to resist the order. In fact, she might have been leaning into it, waiting for the chance to say these words and have them be the absolute truth: "I am Patricia Evelyn Walker. I'm here to kill you."
---

Defending against the attack with a devil-may-care attitude, so I can earn a pp.
Solo d10, A Regular Hellcat d4, Covert Expert d8, Purp's Stress d12 = 1d10 + 1d12 + 1d8 + 1d4 = (5)+(4)+(6)+(2)

It was too much to hope I'd get out of this unscathed, but I can use the 5 and 6, then buy the 2 with my shiny new plot point to make the total a 13 with a d12 effect. I think that both prevents him from getting an exceptional success, and steps his effect back to a d8.

+1/-1 pp

---

Patsy didn't stop talking though. With a ruby-lipped smile on her face, she continued of her own accord: "And then, Mister Killgrave, I will simply disappear, and nobody will ever know what happened to you. They won't care what happened to you. Because you don't really matter to anyone. If I'm lying, I'm dying."

---

Patsy is basically daring this guy to try and shut her up at this point, so I'm choosing to use 'a Regular Hellcat' at d4 again, so I can earn the pp I wanted for this roll, and immediately burn it to activate Purp's opportunity.

Sending this man to the emotional mat: Purp's Stress d12, Solo d10, the opportunity to create a 'Mental Hopscotch' stunt at d10, Covert Expert d8, and A Regular Hellcat at d4 = (4)+(4+4)+(1)+(1)

gently caress. 8 with a d12 result and 2 opportunities.

+1/-1 pp = 0 remaining

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Undisclosed Location

@Lager: 2d8+1d10+1d12 Purple Man's Reaction = (7+6)+(5)+(5) = 23; 13 with a d12, so no dice on the stress that time - the streak had to end eventually I guess. I think it's definitely time for you to get Psych Expert or Mastery, though, considering you almost took out the boss solo with nothing but harsh words and a no-bullshit attitude! Take 2 pp for those opportunities, Doom Pool is now 1d6, 3d8, 3d10 since I boosted 2 of the d6 dice.

Zebediah Kilgrave just sneers in response. "Kill me, hmm?" He pats her cheek condescendingly as he chuckles, "Tell me, how do you think that's working out for you right now?" Leaning in to her, he moves his mouth to her ear, and for a moment she swears he is whispering to her, but a moment later she has no way to recall what it was he said. Kilgrave straightens up slowly then, his eyes on her, his lip still curled slightly, trying to exude confidence as best he can that she is beneath him. He holds the expression for a long moment before, suddenly, throwing the whiskey glass as hard as he can against the wall right past her head. It shatters into a million pieces as he turns, grabbing the remote control, and turning the Sugarman cooking show back on.

As the four-armed psychopath on the screen begins instructing Patsy on some tips to avoid her souffles from collapsing, Kilgrave calls to her with looking at her, "I hope you enjoy your stay, Patsy. I'll think of something funny to do with you soon enough, and once you stop being amusing I'll think of a new and interesting way to kill you." He walks to the door, closing the door behind himself.

Your stress steps down to d6 now, as Kilgrave has left the area and the action scene has ended. You do have a d12 complication going on, though, which will be dropping over time. You can attempt to roll against the Doom Pool to eliminate the complication, or sit tight and enjoy some legit cooking tips from Sugarman until the rest of the team takes some actions that just might help you out of this jam!

Garbage Truck

As the Exiles leap from the building, Captain America holds a hand up, signalling them to hide down in the disgusting trash and away from prying eyes. The truck starts, an unseen driver pulling the vehicle out of the alley and onto the streets. Sirens blare past them, towards the front of the building. There must be at least fifteen police vehicles passing them, heading towards 30 Rock to arrest the vile criminals who have already escaped.

The drive to wherever they're going is shorter than they'd expect, but almost longer than they can tolerate, but finally they head down a ramp and into a small garage, barely big enough for them to hop out from the top of the garbage pile. Lights flare up as their driver - a short, stooped, elderly man with thick glasses and knotted fingers - lifts a hefty looking lever. All around them, machinery of all types seem to come to life. Captain America and his team pick the garbage from off their suits as they look to the Exiles. Captain America's expression is grave - he and his comrades are taking a massive risk with bringing the extra-dimensional heroes here, after all. Still, he gestures towards their benefactor for introductions. "The final member of our makeshift team, Phineas Mason - The Tinkerer."

The Tinkerer scoffs, adjusting his glasses as he moves over to a computer and begins typing in commands. "Team. Pff." He waves off the Exiles without bothering to learn any names. "Make yourselves useful by staying the hell away from me. I want to see that Purple bastard dead before I die, and as you can see I'm pretty sure a gnat could fart and wipe me out at this point. Go get me a drat coffee if you want to be extra helpful."

Hercules wraps his arms around the shoulders of Elijah Snow and Bullseye, leading them away from Mason. "Hah! Come, friends - let us leave Mason to his carping and caviling! The Prince of Power would have words with thee, and drinks as well!" Captain America, Hellcat, and Sir Nicholas head in the same direction that Hercules leads his newfound drinking companions, towards a small kitchen area. Hercules pulls out massive tankards as he gestures towards a well-used set of kegerators, offering a range of beers to anyone who has a taste for it. Hellcat rolls her eyes, grabbing a tuna sandwich from a nearby fridge and pulling her mask off as she sits on the counter. Sir Nicholas, still looking dour and sullen, takes one of the tankards filled with a dark bitter from Hercules, sitting as far from the group as possible as he sips his beer and hangs his head.

Captain America looks to the assembled team and speaks, "First of all, let me say that I'm very glad that we were able to help the group of you. Any enemies of the Purple Man are welcome in our...home, for lack of a better term. I'm sure you understand, though, that now that we're here I'll have to ask you all some questions. We figured out that you must be from another dimension, but why are you here? What were you doing in Kilgrave's studios? And who sent you?"

Lager fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 17, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PP: 3, Stress: 0, XP: 2

She eyes Fury as she moves around the bar and looks for something not-beer, settling on some old gin. She doesn't bother putting it into a glass as she takes a swig and replies, not taking her eyes off the cyclopean knight, "We were sent by the primordial will of the multiverse to kill Kilgrave, because if we don't your entire dimension will be wiped out somehow eventually. Yeah, it doesn't sound any less crazy after you say it several times, we've just learned to accept it."

She keeps her distance, still watching ol' eyepatch, before adding, "You know, in my home dimension you're the worst dictator in the history of the world, responsible for the death and enslavement of billions of people. Guess all universes aren't created equal."

Grabbing +3 XP for the milestone, making it 5 total.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

PP: 0 XP: 3 Stress: 0 Complications:

"Well, at least there's some sort of computer." Peter says with a sigh of resignation. He taps a button on his belt and the glider flips itself upside down as it approaches the ceiling and somehow parks itself there, suspended upside down like a bat. "Probably not up to The Glider's onboard, though." He adds with a shrug.

Turning to the Captain, he accepts a beer with a gracious nod and lifts up the edge of his mask before taking a sip and continuing. "So, The Tinkerer, huh? Still seems like a jerk, but at least yours is on your side. I remember having to throw him into jail more than once where I come from, though." He shrugs again, and then extends a hand to Captain Rogers. "First of all - in my world, you're a legend.
You almost single-handedly ended WW2 - my own research is based on what gave you your powers. It's an honor to meet you, sir." He smiles, and then continues. "There's a lot of differences, but what Bullseye says is right - at least what we've been told, anyway. So, assuming you're ok with a little wetwork, this time out, I think we can definitely assist each other. As a show of faith..." He pulls his mask up the rest of the way.

"As I understand it, your Peter Parker is pretty uhm...dead. Which sounds like enough reason to want to throttle Kilgrave, personally, not even counting the fact that he's got our Miss Fury. Now - you said we've given you an opportunity - does that mean you know where he is? If so, then while I appreciate the alcohol and all, I'd really rather we get started. Miss Fury's probably being tortured as we speak and that doesn't sit right with me."

1 xp for marking the Tinkerer as one of my old villains

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

2 PP, 0 XP, d6 emotional stress, d12 Mesmerized complication

Hmph. He'd see just how well it was going when she was back on her feet. And now that he'd left the room empty handed, she just had to break his insidious bindings in peace and relative quiet... and try not to think to much about the horrible creature on the television screen.

----
Going to attempt to decrease my complication with a pool of Solo d10, Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me d8, and I'm going to invoke the innate magic of my secret costume to force my limbs to move with Enhanced Strength d8, and since none of my specialties work for this as far as I can think, I'll activate the Miraculous Mantle SFX to step Enhanced Strength up to a d10.

2d10 + 1d8 = (1+4)+(6), so ten with a d4 effect, and an opportunity. Guess the magic is truly gone.

----

Though even with her secret weapon employed, this might prove a bit harder than she was willing to admit...

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Everybody's evil somewhere.", Gwenpool points out to Bullseye. "Well, except the Power Pack. Except for the time Katie Power became Venom, but-" She slaps her hand down on the table. "Seriously, as team leader, I told you people to go after the president!" A slight pause and she sighs and deflates. "Man, that doesn't work while I'm in the same room as Captain America- anyway. Petey has a point."

She looks over to the Captain. "The Purple Man isn't meant to be the president, I guess? Something went wrong in this dimension. We're supposed to fix that. Also, it's like, an honor to be working with you? Is this this Avengers? Secret Avengers? Underground Avengers? Old Avengers? I mean, if there's a Young Avengers, there has to be an Old Avengers, I mean, it only makes sense.", she adds, rambling a bit.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 18, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Slapstick gooped out from the cracks of the garbage truck. Pulling a shower from out of nowhere as the stink lines started to emanate from her. Slapstick didn't smell, she never smelt of anything. Cartoons were purely a visual medium. The only time she could ever have said to stink, was if the narrative required it. But then she just produced stink lines, like right now. The brain registered it as a bad smell. But there still wasn't anything to smell to begin with. She pulled a curtain around her, a a quick jet of colourless water shot down on her. The curtain pulled back to reveal her sodden. Dripping. But she quickly shook it off and when right back to being as clean as she ever was.

"Gweny, baby, honey, sweety, babooshka." Slapstick said, laying an arm across her "Team Leader's" shoulders. "You've got the thing. The thing that we need. Now, you've got the cutest toosh, and we're obviously totally an item, so I'd be out to save you in a second anyway. But there's still the fact that you're our only way out. And if you got captured, or turned. We're trapped here. Besides, Purple Nurple controls everything through the TVs, so wouldn't it make sense he'd want to be right there to over see it all? I mean, that's where the heroes are going, so obviously the bad guys never that far away, right? So Miss Fury is probably ether totally tailing someone right now, or she's totally being held captive and is enacting a cunning escape."

Slapstick was many thing, but she knew her narrative. She was narrative, pure and simple.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Undisclosed Location

Take a PP for the opportunity!

@Lager: 2d8+1d12 Lingering Influence v. Miss Fury = (8+5)+(12) = 25; 20 with a d8 for defending the complication.

Miss Fury's mysterious costume and her indomitable will come to naught, unfortunately, as she is unable to move more than a muscle. It would seem that the Purple Man's powerful pheromones are still too potent in her system to allow her her freedom as yet. Still, it seems unlikely that she will give up. The disgusting chef on the television in front of her is extending his impossibly long, forked tongue to apply frosting to his freshly baked batch of cupcakes. The chocolate icing melts down his enormous lips as he grins with his torso-face.

"My word, do you see what happens when you refuse to listen to Mother?" a familiar voice inquires, disappointment evident in the tone. Apparently someone has entered the room while Patsy was distracted by the Sugar Man's antics. Dorothy Walker herself stands in the doorway, that familiar look of barely-contained disdain on her face. "I see your taste in fashions has...somehow gotten worse. Put something else on, before someone sees you, Patricia."

Tinkerer's Lab

Hellcat looks to Gwenpool as she asks about team names. "Hmph...Call us the 'Unretirees' if you call us anything."

Fury does not look up from his beer as Bullseye confronts him. "I bear no words with which to comfort you, save only a pledge that I am not that man. My failures are mine own, and I endeav'r to help this world where I failed mine own."

Captain America extends his own hand, shaking the Green Goblin's with a nod of recognition. "I'll try to live up to those expectations as best I can, son." As Peter reveals his face, however, the Captain's voice tilts in surprise, a look of amusement crossing his face.

"Parquagh?" Fury stands, staring at the Goblin, a look of shock on his face. He shakes his head and grabs his beer, heading out through a door to find some privacy.

After along moment, Captain Rogers sighs as Hellcat speaks up, "Sir Nicholas over there isn't from around here. The Captain disappeared for a while and Eyepatch showed up on our doorstep, carrying Steve in nothing but a loincloth." She snickers a bit before continuing, "Don't bother asking what happened, they don't like to talk about it."

Captain America looks away, seeming a bit ashamed of himself. "If we're going to trust each other, we can't have secrets. I was lost in another world. I had a moment of weakness. Nick...confronted me, and helped me make the right call." He looks to each of the Exiles in turn, locking eyes with them to show the determination in his face. "I don't know where Kilgrave is, but we can find him now. Phineas is looking for 'dimensional eddies,' telltale signs of an extradimensional visitor. If your Miss Fury was captured, odds are good that Kilgrave is interrogating her personally. We find her, we find Kilgrave."

Hercules laughs loudly as he chugs his beer out of a truly massive tankard. "Finally! We shall meet our enemy in battle, as the gods intended! And the Prince of Power will teach him a valuable lesson in humility!"

Captain America continues, "That's just one part of the plan, though. You see, we were in the television studio today to prepare for our own endgame. Tinkerer whipped up a device that can allow us to hack into the signal, and we had to plant the machine at the source of their broadcast capabilities."

Tinkerer pipes up from the lab area, "You'll be lucky if we get fifteen minutes out of the drat thing, and that's assuming none of Kilgrave's puppets find it before then!"

Rogers nods solemnly. "We had planned to try and broadcast a call to action for any heroes who might still be out there, though all hope seems lost on that front. But now...now that you're here, if we time this thing right and play our cards effectively, perhaps we have a chance to take down Kilgrave's entire network with one single mission! We will have to figure out a counter-programming broadcast to utilize, while sending a separate team to find your Miss Fury at Purple Man's lair. If we can take out Kilgrave while our broadcast is running, that might be enough to snap everyone out of it at once, all across the globe, and Kilgrave won't be able to reassert control at the finish."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PP: 3, Stress: 0, XP: 5

She takes another swig of gin, and at the mention of a counter-program, she looks over at Starband, "I think we've got you sorted out there, eh Sparkle Motion?"

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

3 PP, 0 XP, d6 emotional stress, d12 mind control complication

"What would you know about it, mother? You've been wearing the same tired face for forty years." Patsy responded snidely.

Inside, she was trying to maintain her concentration, despite her mother's unfortunate arrival. If she could move even a finger...

-----
Have to keep trying. Can't let mom interrupt. Must escape. Must kill Purple Man.

Solo d10, Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me d8, Enhanced Strength d8, and this time I'm going all out, using my Miraculous Mantle SFX with a plot point to step up AND double the Enhanced Strength. This will add my *effect die to the doom pool, but I really need to get on my feet.

Result: (5+1+1)+(6) so... ugh. I guess and 11 with a d4, and two more opportunities.

-1 pp = 2 remaining.

(*I forgot that part last time, but my last effect die was a d4, so it's not the end of the world.)

----

Of course, it was hard to focus on anything with Dorothy Walker around. She made a point of becoming the center of attention...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
PP: 0 XP: 1

The Cosmic Conductress has been low key in the escape, honestly upset at her inability to destroy that decrepit nazi back at the tv station. But she perks up at the idea of culture jamming the televised hypnosis. "I'd prefer to assist in rescuing Miss Fury, but Bullseye's right. I may be the best chance we have to undo the harm the Purple Man has done. The basis for the hypnotic effect is very specifically varied light wavelengths." Starband raises her hand and it stops being a hand, the illusion of human shape dropped. It's shimmering and pulsing and so very very bright. Then it is just a hand again. "I am the sound and light of the beginning of everything, the cosmic expression of creative force. I can make that counter-frequency and once we have broadcasting capabilities..." Berenice's face is completely blank, but her eyes are fire. "I think I can burn out any attempts to try anything like this on anyone else ever again."

Going to spend my PP to create a Cosmic Resource "Hypnotic Counter Frequency", and getting another XP for discussing the extent of my cosmic power

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"An item?", Gwen says to Slapstick, seeming slightly confused. "Are we even a ship yet? I guess... but you're right. Fury's probably okay. I don't think we're in a MAX title." She shifts her eyes, looking out the panel for a moment before focusing back on the scene.

She makes a loose point at Hellcat. "But that doesn't exactly push books. The Immortal Invaders, maybe?" She raises a finger as if having an idea as she says to Rogers. "Oh, yes, ah, definitely take out Kilgrave in a just but not bullet-intensive way? Humble him! Yeah!" She shares a meaningful look with the Tallus, and then inclines her head to Starband before her eyes widen.

"Waitisthat that because you could just hoooly, holy, holy... I mean- you know- ahhhhhh!", she says, clearly having some sort of freakout. "I am totally having some kind of freakout!"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Slapstick's expression didn't change. "A... ship? I don't know what that is... but..." She quickly shifted her shape into a boat. With suggestively waggly eyebrows.

"I can be your ship if you want, baby! Toot toot!" Was she joking? Was she serious? As ever it was hard to tell. At least she didn't try to make a joke about riding her. Okay, she probably would have. But Gwen had her little freakout before she could.

"Wow wow wow! Shhhh shhh shhh shhh!" Slapstick reformed into her "natural" form, and attempting to sooth Gwenpool. "I'm with you on this, Gwen. Let's not do something that makes us worse than the bad guys."

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband
0 PP, 5 XP

Berenice looks bemused at Gwen's freakout, before she realizes what caused it. She can't help but laugh gently. "Oh, honey, no." Starband employs her most powerful Wine Aunt tone, which had calmed many a young student of Xavier's School. "I apologize, that was absolutely the wrong metaphor to employ. Don't think of it as burning anything. Take a couple of breaths, you'll end up worrying your girlfriend if you keep that up." Starband unsubtly makes a subtle wink in Slapstick's direction. A truly powerful Wine Aunt indeed.

gently caress it getting 3 xp for giving unwanted relationship advice!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

"See, Starband is totally uhh, shipping us? That's the right way to say that... right?" Slapstick scratches her cheek. Anyway! She had a totally great idea! A present for Gwenpool! Nothing says 'I think you're cute and we should totally hook up' like.... a piece of her cartoonish form made into a hairpin and ready to explode out protectively at the first sign of danger!

This was clearly a great idea!

- - - -

SidekickBOT - Today at 1:55 PM
@Arashiofordo3: 1d10+3d8+2d6 Creating an asset Team D10 + Living Cartoon D8 + Psych Expert D8 + Streaching D8 + Sorcery D6 + SFX Deep Pockets D6 (Step up effect Dice) + SFX Cartoon Physics: Stepping down Largest dice in the doom pool, it retains that size after roll. = (2)+(4+8+7)+(4+4) = 29

Spending 1 PP to add an extra 4 to roll result.

Result: 19
Effect Dice: D10 D12

If successful
3xp — when you use Anamatic Reality Alteration to create an asset for a teammate.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Goblin clears his throat at...whatever is happening with Starband, Gwenpool, and Slapstick.

"Things are getting a little too...young adult novel for me over here, so, anyway..."

He wanders over to where the Tinkerer is working and smirks. "Fifteen minutes? Why, I bet we can double that!" He rolls his eyes and inclines his head over his shoulder where the uh...relationship drama is happening.

"I don't know what the deal was with your Parker, but I'm a genius! Show me what you've been working on and I'll give you a hand. And before you grouse about not needing help, you know as well as I do a fresh pair of eyes from someone else who knows what's up can help clear out the cobwebs, right?" Maybe cobwebs was the wrong term? Their Parker was a Manspider or whatever it was, anyway. He fetches the control disk out of his pouch where he had stashed it. "My thought was if I reverse-engineered this, and then produced a few more, we could maybe get everybody a bit more resistant to mental coercion. In my reality, we used bio-chemicals to counteract Kilgrave's power, but obviously this is more of an engineering lab and that's Dr. McCoy's specialty, at any rate. Not to say I don't know the ins and outs of genetic manipulation, but...I've always been an engineer at heart. You too, I gather."

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 20, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Undisclosed Location

@Lager: 2d8+1d12 Reaction to Miss Fury = (3+1)+(3) = 7; Well poo poo...6 with a d4 for defense, so you'll step the complication down to a d10 now.

Dorothy shakes her head, rolling her eyes slightly - only slightly. She doesn't emote much, preferring instead an almost statuesque presence. "Such disrespect. I should have listened to my friends. They told me that girls these days are nothing but willful brats."

Another voice chimes in, as Captain America steps into the room. "Full of too much spit and not enough fire, I'm afraid, ma'am." He looks at Patsy, a sneer on his face. "You just couldn't help but get yourself captured, could you, Patsy? I suppose you'll be needing me to get you out of this one?"

The disgusting troll of a man on the television screen has ripped open a bag of sugar, ostensibly for use in a recipe, but is guzzling the entire bag himself now.

Tinkerer's Lab

The three heroes of this world give each other a bemused look, each raising an eyebrow almost in concert at Slapstick's antics. Still, Starband's plan seems to be met with approval. Hercules claps his hands together with an almost deafening slap, "It shall be a performance for the ages, I am sure, and worthy of an amphitheater!"

Captain America nods in agreement, "Indeed, though I'm afraid we'll have to make due with a cheap backdrop and a couple stolen cameras for a venue. Once Phineas lets us know that he's ready, we'll prep for broadcast. Time is of the essence!"

The Tinkerer, for his part, gives Peter a withering look. As the Goblin finishes offering his help, Mason glares as he speaks, "You want to know about our Spider-Man? I'll say this...He didn't know how to shut up either." With that, he ignores Parker and continues trying to solder the device he's manufacturing. His hands, however, keep shaking. It seems that age is catching up with the old inventor. He growls, slapping the desk. "Listen, if you want to make yourself useful, you'll stop insulting my intelligence and help act as my hands, dammit. If I can't get this drat dimensional tracker ready, we'll never find your friend in the first place, which means we'll never find Kilgrave in time either." He offers the soldering tool to the younger man, and begins barking orders at him. "And once you've finished that fool thing, then we'll get to work with your little knick knack there."

@Lager: 2d4+2d6+4d8+2d10 = (2+2)+(1+5)+(7+8+7+4)+(3+9) = 48; Comes out to a 17 with a d10 effect against Slapstick's roll. d12 asset created, good for a one-time bonus for Gwenpool!

Lager fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 20, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PP: 3, Stress: 0, XP: 5

Nina looks to the aged Patsy, "What other armaments do you guys have available? Your Fascist Barney doesn't seem to be averse to using people as tools, that includes innocent bystanders. We'll need some non-lethal weapons if he decides to throw a mob of coeds or old people or something at us."

She looked around the room, trying to see what could be cooked up as a good non-lethal weapon. Her bow made a decent club if needed, but it was less than ideal compared to knockout gas bombs or tasers. "I've had to make knock out gas bombs before, and tasers aren't actually that hard to put together if you have some high voltage batteries..."

Want to use a PP to create some non-lethal weapon assets for the team.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

PP: 0 | XP: 7

Slapstick grins as she opens up a little door in her chest and pulls something out of the blackness inside. It's pink. In the shape of a heart. With a winky Slapstick blowing kisses to a cartoon of Gwenpool on one side. A clasp on the other for Gwen to attach it to her costume.

"For you~!" Slapstick proclaims. Holding it out to Gwenpool in a surprisingly shy manner compared to her usual forwardness. Looking away, a flush clear on her cheeks. One leg doing that weird circling thing at the ankle. Yet beyond the cartoon trappings there was the hint of humanity to it. The slight shake of her hands as they held the gift out. The nervous set of her lips. The way her eyes flicked away from meeting anyone's face. For all that Slapstick was a slave to the genres and rules of cartoons, there was something fundamentally human behind her acts. Well, certainly this act.

- - - -

I probably shouldn't... but what the hey, Slapstick did just give Gwen her heart. (literally? Metaphorically? Who even knows at this point?)

Spending 1PP to make the asset last for the rest of the scene.

Marking:
3xp — when you use Anamatic Reality Alteration to create an asset for a teammate.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 20, 2018

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

2 PP, 0 XP, d10 mind control complication

"Oh, don't go taking her side now! Besides, I've got this under control..."

confusion fog posted:

"Under control... under control..."

Patsy failed to shake her head reflexively, but the cobwebs loosened regardless. This didn't make any sense. She was being influenced by Purple Man! Some sort of suggestion... what was it he'd said? Oh...!

----
Going to give this as much gas as possible, and hope for the best. Or at least hope the doom pool rolls low again.

Solo d10, Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me at d8, Enhanced Strength stepped up and doubled for a PP by Miraculous Mantle to 2d10, and I'm going to make a Covert 'Interrogation Training' stunt for another PP.
Result of 3d10 + 2d8 = (6+8+1)+(7+1) so a 15 with a d10 effect, 2 opportunities, and a d10 automatically deposited in the Doom Pool.

-2 pp, 0 remaining

----

No, not what Purple Man said... what Master Mind Excello said! She had to remember her training. She had to focus and stay in control of herself. Her mind and body belonged to her.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Woah! Hey!" Peter juggled the solder for a moment or two before getting a firm grip on it. He was about to snark at the old man too - this wasn't exactly Papa Osborn's tender and patient tutelage, obviously. And the Green Goblin had indeed taken on his universe's Tinkerer more than once.

But, then he noticed Mason's hands shaking, and the joke died in his throat. Instead he simply nodded, and got to work. "Sure thing." He said with a smile and found a stool to perch on, and got to work. And he was good at that work, too. Nimble fingers and steady hands, here. The Goblin serum made sure of that. Even perched on the stool like he was, like a gargoyle, looming over it (a habit he had picked up from too many flights on the glider - sometimes Felicia had to remind him to sit like a normal person, back home).

Peter had never experienced anything like the tremors Mason was experiencing. Thanks to the Goblin serum, he probably never would, really. And his father, well, his Norman hadn't gotten the chance to either. But, Norman had explained it to a much younger Peter, many years ago, when he had asked his father why they were working on a serum that would be used for potential military purposes, and that stuck with him.

"Sure." Norman had said. "They probably will. And we are being funded by them, to a certain extent. But I'd be working on this even if it wasn't for the military applications. Maybe I'm working on it now despite those applications.

"Captain Rogers," Norman continued "was, famously, not a particularly tough customer, before the serum. He was, well, small, weak, even. And look what that serum did for him! Imagine what it could do, will do, to millions of people who are hurt, or sick - in the proper dosages it could cure all disease - heal any harm. It could be the greatest gift to humanity in any of our lifetimes. Beyond any sort of superheroes, or profit - that's why we're doing this. To help.

That's our responsibility here, Peter."

Thinking on it - Peter wondered if this world's Parker had felt the same way about why he was doing what he did - to honor his father's words. He had a responsibility to help. Even if this wasn't his world. Even if this was all a trick by Bender - even if it meant he might never see Felicia again. He could help, here and now. And that's what he was going to do.

He kept soldering.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 22, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Bookkeeping Post

Undisclosed Location

@Lager: 2d4+2d6+4d8+2d10 = (2+1)+(4+6)+(1+3+1+2)+(10+8) = 38; That is...a complicated and multifaceted roll. 18 with a d8 effect, so no luck on that one, but I have rolled 3(!) opportunities there, though you're out of PPs. No, wait, no you're not. Take 2 PPs! Though I'mma upgrade those d4s in the pool to d6s.

"Oh, sure, you've got everything under control, don't you Patsy?" Hedy Wolfe rolls her eyes as she comes from behind Patsy, leaning on Captain America's mighty shoulder and giving Miss Fury a somewhat catty look. "That's her problem, you know. No self control. I mean, look at her!" She shakes her head solemnly, pitying poor Patsy. "It's a sign of poor upbringing." Dorothy Walker shoots a stern look to Hedy.

Captain America smirks at Patsy. "Look at you, straining against nothing. You could stand up easily, but deep down you know you don't deserve to win this battle. You're nothing but a spoiled little rich girl, and you know that Kilgrave was right about you. Face it - you don't belong with the Exiles, and you don't belong with the Invaders, either. You should've stayed at home and been another idle, useless rich girl."

Tinkerer's Lab

Bullseye successfully finds enough spare parts around to make some non-lethal weapons - batteries to use for taser arrows, knockout gas, even a boxing glove that she briefly considers attaching to an arrow shaft. Soon, she has assembled quite the makeshift armory.

Over at his workstation, Phineas Mason doesn't thank the younger man for assisting him, far from it. He scoffs and mutters and grouses the whole time, but he works with Peter none the less, allowing the younger man to act as his hands - and even put in the occasional suggestion. Soon enough, they have a working tracker, scanning for dimensional eddies that will allow them to find Miss Fury anywhere in a 50ish mile radius. The Tinkerer sips some coffee, which Captain America brewed for him (Mason made sure to mention loudly that none of these damned guests bothered to get him a cup of joe until Rogers finally relented). Putting the mug down, he says the first thing that could be characterized as polite, "Alright, well now that that's done let's take a look at that disc of yours, Parker."

He takes his normal glasses off, putting on a pair with a whole set of various magnifying lenses that he can cycle through as he begins to examine the disc.

Mason's going to spend a support action to help you out if you choose asset creation. If you go that route, roll an extra d10 for his assistance, and there's also a d8 for lab equipment that you can use as an extra resource in your roll.

Lager fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 22, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

PP: 2, Stress: 0, XP: 5

Nina smirks, eying Slapstick as she secures the boxing glove to an arrow. "When in Rome..." she mumbles to herself as she slides the taser arrows into her hip quiver and clips the knockout gas bombs to her belt.

Taking 3 XP for Milestone.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 22, 2018

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

"Okay, then." Peter says, cracking his knuckles. "Let's get to it."

"The relative concept is simple." Peter explains to Phineas as the latter examines the control disk. "I figured it out while The Controller and his dumb space boots had it stuck to me: it disrupts the normal pathway of neurons in response to an outside order - adding a few microseconds between subconscious reactions - just enough for his ridiculous commands to try and get through." Luckily, Peter's subconsciousness wasn't exactly typical but neither the Controller nor the Tinkerer needed to know that part.

"I figure we could reverse that - speed up the mental response to intrusions - even a couple more microseconds in the other direction and it should provide a really effective buffer against unwanted outside influence. Don't know how long it'll last but hopefully it should cover a broad spectrum - either spoken commands or audio-visual hypnosis or even The Purple Man's obnoxious pheromonal-type control. Sound good?" Getting Mason's (begrudging) assent, Peter gets to work. "If we get one down we can get enough for the whole crew I figure - and give us all a measure of protection against Kilgrave's Domm-Squad." As Peter talked, his hands were a flurry of motion and he kept picking up bits, bobbles, and gadgets he figured he'd need. A lot, as it turned out. Microscopes and lathes and scalpels and tweezers and solderers and wire crimpers and some sort of hi-tech looking goggles contraptions - all in one hand! They didn't have time to be subtle, right? Miss Fury was still in trouble!

Buddy d6 (one day I will get to roll a better Affiliation die), Wisecracker d4 (I want the PP), Superhuman Strength d10, Tech Master d10, d10 for Tinkerer's assistance, and d8 for Tinkerer's Lab

@LifeGetsWorser: 3d10+1d8+1d6 +1d4 Making anti-control disks! = (9+1+1)+(8)+(1)+(4) = 24

The diceroller still hates me. That's a 17 with a d4 effect die and 3 opportunities. Luckily the PP I spent on the d4 lets me use Genius to step up the resource - so it's a d6 now.

If the opportunities get picked up, I'll spend another PP to make it last until the end of the action scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Aha haha, yes, that's exactly what I was worried about, haha." Gwen says to Starband, rubbing her neck.

She then looks over to Slapstick as she looks at the heart in her hands. "We should, um, talk later? There's the freedom of a world to focus on." She looks after Peter and Phineas as she walks off. "I feel like I should thank Phineas for helping repair a friend of mine, but then I realize he isn't that Phineas, who... I'll probably never get to thank. Or even see that friend again for awhile." She sighs slightly, and then shakes her head like she's just trying to shimmy off her funk.

"So, uh, does this give me health back if I get hurt?", she asks Slapstick as she holds the heart up. Yep, she's right back to making no sense again.