Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

zeal posted:

yeah it's been fairly slow since then but i like bajie's ex-wife

I've found that subplot insanely boring. It hasn't told us anything we didn't already know about Bajie she's hardly a compelling "what might have been" had he not gone on his quest for Asra, and is just a series of added roadblocks to Sunny's journey towards a place we already know about so he can get poo poo done.

He didn't even murder any goons with that axe.

Blind Cannibal Assassins had a similar structure but it featured blind cannibal assassins. And a much stronger b-plot, with way better fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
eh, i found it pretty interesting in itself that once baj left the monastery and started thinking for himself he became (and married) a pirate

but i'd be fine if into the badlands were just bajie and one-handed nate moon getting into hijinks, i can take or leave sonny

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Binging Bosch on AP, almost done with S2, enjoying it so far.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Impulse on youtube is really cool. It's based on the movie Jumper. But don't hold that against it.

I'm 5 episodes in and it's already way better.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Agreed that The Office is worth watching to the end because the finale really is that good. The lows are lower in 8 and 9 than any other season but there are still some high points.I think at worst if you're binging them you will just start to get a little impatient to get to the end.

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a good episode of Community that shows how easy it is to manufacture the comedy/drama of shows like The Office.

And yet Community was never as funny as The Office or had better drama than it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Community is ok and The Office is terrible.

I saw people applauding The Office for getting rid of the the laugh/applause but they just replaced it with Jim staring into the camera.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

While risking coming over as a purist little poo poo, I can't believe people enjoying The Office US while the UK version is so much better and also very rewatchable.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The US Office has a lot of excellent seasons too. I love the UK version to bits, but I’d actually argue the American one has higher highs (of course I am a big sitcom guy).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most of my school chums raved about The Office when it was on but I just didn't get it. But then again I've never been terribly impressed by Ricky Gervais. :shrug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The UK Office is really really good, but so is the first 4 seasons of the US Office. Also I just started Curb Your Enthusiasm and I don't know why I didn't watch it before. It's really good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've said it before but I've just never even bothered with the UK Office because my least favorite parts of the US version is Michael's really awful selfishness and the cringe stuff and everything I've ever heard suggested that Gervais' version is that stuff cranked to 11.

In general Gervais has made me laugh a few times but in general he struck me as more of the "isn't everyone but me so unfunny and lame?" crowd. And I rather just chuckle at Superstore or Modern Family or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everything Gervais has done since Extras has been awful but I’ll definitely go to bat for that + Office any day of the week

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocksicles posted:

Impulse on youtube is really cool. It's based on the movie Jumper. But don't hold that against it.

I'm 5 episodes in and it's already way better.
yeah Impulse really surprised me. Good show.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Everything Gervais has done since Extras has been awful but I’ll definitely go to bat for that + Office any day of the week

there was nothing awful about bringing Karl Pilkington onto the world stage

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just finished the 3rd season of The Office (US) for the first time and I've rather enjoyed it all so far. I do think it takes a bit to get started and it's humor is not for everyone.

I'll have to watch the UK version at a later date.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Most people I have talked to that hate the US Office have only watched season 1, which is bad, because they were trying to mimic the bleak and depressing UK version and also making it more crass for US audiences. The show was overhauled for season 2 and given its own voice and is significantly better for it. I would say that midway through season 2 is where everything clicks.

Yes, the show went on for too long, a typical problem with US television, but the UK version has the opposite problem. "Hmm, 14 episodes. That's definitely enough and there's no point in exploring, evolving, or expanding anything with these characters ever again!"

Mu Zeta posted:

Community is ok and The Office is terrible.

I saw people applauding The Office for getting rid of the the laugh/applause but they just replaced it with Jim staring into the camera.

The Office is far from the first sitcom to have no laugh track. Jim mugging the camera is dumb but it's supposed to be "can you believe this poo poo?" not "this is when you're supposed to laugh!"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It absolutely is "this is when you're supposed to laugh." They do the same thing on Parks and Rec after every joke.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Just finished "The Hollow" on Netflix.

It was... eh it was okay. Definetly more of a kids show then I was expecting at the beginning though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

It absolutely is "this is when you're supposed to laugh." They do the same thing on Parks and Rec after every joke.

Jim does it once or twice an episode or less. Way less as the show went on. How is that the same as a laugh track after every single joke in a show?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We just watched all of Patrick Melrose on Hulu after noticing lots of billboards for it.

I can highly recommend it. It's basically Benedict Cumberbatch ruining his life while strung out on heroin / cocaine / alcohol and doing a very convincing job of it with mannerisms. It alternates between the main character's adult life -- a drug bringe during his father's death and funeral in the 1980's -- with his childhood, surrounded by a variety of his abusive father's despicable enablers (including his own mother) who are all in the British aristocracy during the 60's or so. It portrays one event with the current real-life queen's late sister who was an incredibly screwed up person on her own by Wikipedia's description.

This show is based on a series of five novels (one episode per novel) which the author wrote about their own life as a cleaned up sort of biography. It's highly hosed up but also an extremely well done show. Every detail matters later, each scene is handled with care and quality, the characters have compelling motivations and even more compelling flaws. It's one of the most well handled shows I've seen and best of all there can't be any more of it, so no jumping the shark after a successful first season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

You are correct, Office/Extras + Pilkington

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

STAC Goat posted:

I've said it before but I've just never even bothered with the UK Office because my least favorite parts of the US version is Michael's really awful selfishness and the cringe stuff and everything I've ever heard suggested that Gervais' version is that stuff cranked to 11.

In general Gervais has made me laugh a few times but in general he struck me as more of the "isn't everyone but me so unfunny and lame?" crowd. And I rather just chuckle at Superstore or Modern Family or something.

The series was frequently cringe-inducing but that did make the Christmas finale incredibly cathartic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Did anyone actually watch the new David Brent movie thing? Was it any good? I'd assume not since I didn't hear anything about it.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
5 episodes into season 1 of Bosch. Very underrated show.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well, season 2 of Jessica Jones was kinda meh. I adored the first season, thought it one of the best things in the MCU as a whole. The follow up season was a bit of a chore to get through. Some good stuff in there, but a whole lot of filler watering it down.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jessica Jones is terrible exploitation stuff. It's odd that a season where the main hook is seeing what atrocity a male serial killer has cooked up this time was hailed so much.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah Impulse really surprised me. Good show.

Same here! I was skeptical going in, but it's been really good so far (I'm only 4 episodes in). Good cast, nicely paced, well-directed, and interesting. I'm glad I gave it a shot.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did anyone actually watch the new David Brent movie thing? Was it any good? I'd assume not since I didn't hear anything about it.

I watched it and it is pretty good yeah. Not really like the show because it's just about him. Not as funny as the show either but it's a nice enough story and it has amusing moments and a bit of poignancy. I thought it's much better than it would have been expected to be. Won't knock your socks off but it's a nice enough watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did actually find that Gypsy Lady song quite funny now I think about it

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I didn't see a thread to properly discuss the Sense8 finale movie so I'll just post it here since I binged both seasons when they came out. I'll probably have a hard time putting into words how much I enjoyed it since I'm fighting an impending migraine but if you're a fan of the series and haven't watched it yet I think you'll be happy. It's equal parts violent, uplifting, sad, beautiful, sexual, funny, and terrifying. It also features what might be the greatest final shot of any TV series I've ever seen: rainbow strap on covered in fluid.
I'm sad that it's done now but I love the message the show tried to put out into the world.

If you're not familiar with the show, it's a series on Netflix directed by the Wachowski's about groups of 8 people called clusters that share a type of psychic bond. Through the bond they can communicate/interact/take control of each other anywhere in the world. The main cluster in the show is comprised of 8 very different people from a trans-female hacker, to a swedish DJ, to an African bus driver, to an American cop, etc. The thing I love about the show is that it takes a really interesting sci-fi concept and makes it into a story that's ultimately about people from all walks of life coming together and overcoming problems through love. It sounds hokey but, again, I'm not doing a great job of describing the show or doing it justice. It's also one of the most sexually explicit shows I've ever seen but it's not a constant, every episode thing, just fyi.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

zeal posted:

:emptyquote:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Jim mugging the camera is dumb but it's supposed to be "can you believe this poo poo?" not "this is when you're supposed to laugh!"

He does it when he's smugly enjoying his prank punchlines, so yeah it absolutely is a "laugh now" prompt.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Only in the sense that its Jim laughing at his own jokes. Its a character trait, one that the show even takes shots at and on more than one occasion make him the butt of the joke for being kind of a smug douche.

It seems weird to call it a "laugh track" if it happens at like 5% of the show's jokes or something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Only in the sense that its Jim laughing at his own jokes. Its a character trait, one that the show even takes shots at and on more than one occasion make him the butt of the joke for being kind of a smug douche.

It seems weird to call it a "laugh track" if it happens at like 5% of the show's jokes or something.

His brothers do it when they're on the show too.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The American Office is amazing and ultimately a beautiful love story. You guys are messed.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Just finished S2 of Jessica Jones, and holy poo poo what a slog.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Just finished S2 of Jessica Jones, and holy poo poo what a slog.

Yeah I liked S1 but S2 was just not very good.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Jessica Jones S1 was also trash but the villain made up for a lot of it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, I barely got through S1 of Jessica Jones, there were like 3-4 more episodes than that story required.

Completely separate, I just plowed through The Staircase, which is about the death of Kathleen Peterson and the investigation and trial of her husband Michael Peterson who was accused of killing her. His story was that she slipped and fell down the stairs while he was outside. Her death was in 2001, and the first 8 episodes were made back in 2001-2003, but then there are 5 follow up episodes covering it all up to 2017. All pretty interesting, and I thought a very good true crime documentary. I didn't really know anything about the trial before watching, so I won't spoil anything if you're in the same position, I would recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Have just found Shadowhunters, it's dead already (because of course) but god drat does it fill the hole Teen Wolf left.

Cheesy fantasy nonsense with a hot cast but better acting than the likes of Shannara. The 100 with tats and angels. I love it