Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Women should believe the same things I believe.

Her millions are being used to directly enslave and kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Her millions are being used to directly enslave and kill people.

She's not rich enough yet to avoid paying tax dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hahaha drat

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I would so love for someone from the Mad Men cast to have a cameo on this show. January Jones would be stupid good as a Wife (and could probably do it with her eyes closed), and Vincent Kartheiser could smug it up as someone or other. He's married to Alexis Bledel anyway, I bet he was hanging around the set at some point.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Crow Jane posted:

I would so love for someone from the Mad Men cast to have a cameo on this show.

I'd love for Negan from The Walking Dead to be some kind of Holy Inquisitor. "I hope you got your shittin' pants on" as he bashes the commander's head in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If Serena was a real person should would probably be working at one of those Fox News panel shows.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

If Serena was a real person should would probably be working at one of those Fox News panel shows.

Or First Things or Heritage? Too highbrow?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

datajugend posted:

yeah that was a "huh?" moment for me too. they have pictures and probably videos of mass executions, witness reports about how the handmaidens are tortured, raped and executed and probably a lot of other refugees that can tell horror stories about bodies hanging in the street, work/death camps and mass executions of gay people.

but a stack of letters on the internet was way too much for the canadian government.
I don't think they really sat down and thought through the refugee situation and it keeps showing in places like this. Living people are wandering Canada who can tell these stories, but a bunch of letters get the attention. Moira escaped a brothel where high command regularly visited and no one in the Canadian government seems to have asked for her story while processing her asylum, or they just aren't interested in that information. At the same time, other governments are approaching Serena and attempting to make her turn. A little evidence that her husband is taking some trips to night clubs with some intimate company might have been useful to tip the scales in that situation. Even if the Canadian government isn't making some kind of attempts to destabilize Gilead or get the one-up on someone in a high place, someone else is going to.

Also Luke seemed to forget when yelling at Fred that he kidnapped his daughter and had him shot or at least thought those things weren't that important. I guess this is more a complaint that things that are important are suddenly not important until they are again in this show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I consider this show very Game of Thrones-esque in that if you try to pick it apart it's a mess, but there's a lot of stuff that is really effective drama in the moment, and it's more fun to just take it at face value.

The letters are like when Littlefinger saved everyone with his army at the last minute, even though it made absolutely no sense whatsoever that he would wait that long or not tell everyone he was allied with them. it was a cool scene though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 18, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Super fair.

Regarding Canada, they're just not a warfaring country. I imagine most of the world would be clutching their pearls in response to Gilead.

Regarding Serena, I think I buy it. She's clearly grown up religious, but because she was so devout she never felt repressed. Now she does. We can condemn her for helping to build this, but we SHOULD be looking at Fred and his buddies, unknown as they may be.

I get the impression that Serena was the frog in boiling water, content to take a warm bath until it started to burn and it was too late. I won't join with people relishing in this. It strikes me more as a tragedy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Serena didn't just help design it, she basically dreamt up the whole thing. I would say most, if not all, of the horrific laws, punishments and whatnot were her ideas, even if she's not the one personally enforcing them.

She's definitely an interesting character, and Strahovski does a great job with her. But she's not an innocent victim in this, girlfriend's got a lot of blood on her hands.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 18, 2018

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Serena didn't just help design it, she basically dreamt up the whole thing. I would say most, if not all, of the horrific laws, punishments and whatnot were her ideas, even if she's not the one personally enforcing them.

is there anything backing this statement up?
She was definetly part of it, but there were a whole lot of other people behind it too. There's a scene in season 1 where waterford and other commanders are talking in a car about how to structure society, and serena isn't there. She might just as well have been pushed to the forefront as a token woman who believes in the same ideology.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

She outright said that she wrote the laws at some point in season one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crow Jane posted:

That was the conversation in the car where Fred was like "you wrote it, you should get to speak", right?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Oh, ok. I just never had the impression that she was the mastermind behind it all. Does it specify any more in that scene? It's usually more than one person writing a set of laws and we don't really know any details about those laws, right?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Crow Jane posted:

Thanks for clearing that up. I marathoned season 1 so my recall of quick details here isn't stellar. There's my sympathy gone, anyway. Good thing too; I wasn't enjoying it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I took that to mean she wrote the proposal/bill itself, not that she was responsible for every single law. She was no doubt responsible for some of them and collaborated on the rest tho.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
I'm only a few episodes in but how has this become a #resistance show? These fucks should have been stamped out the moment they popped their heads up, the coffee shop guy calling them sluts in episode 2 should not have been brave enough to say that poo poo, the whole point seems to be 'hey don't let fuckers get normalised or organised' but your actual liberals would all be saying "let them speak desu"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

I'm only a few episodes in but how has this become a #resistance show? These fucks should have been stamped out the moment they popped their heads up, the coffee shop guy calling them sluts in episode 2 should not have been brave enough to say that poo poo, the whole point seems to be 'hey don't let fuckers get normalised or organised' but your actual liberals would all be saying "let them speak desu"

It's hard to tell.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
gilead is actually one of the parks in westworld

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

datajugend posted:

gilead is actually one of the parks in westworld

every park in westworld is gilead if you think about it

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i remembered this meme just now and man some of the scenes in the show feel like this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

[Indistinct Radio Chatter]

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

[Indistinct Radio Chatter]

Reminded me of the Half Life 2 Combine soldiers.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Knight posted:

I don't think they really sat down and thought through the refugee situation and it keeps showing in places like this. Living people are wandering Canada who can tell these stories, but a bunch of letters get the attention. Moira escaped a brothel where high command regularly visited and no one in the Canadian government seems to have asked for her story while processing her asylum, or they just aren't interested in that information. At the same time, other governments are approaching Serena and attempting to make her turn. A little evidence that her husband is taking some trips to night clubs with some intimate company might have been useful to tip the scales in that situation. Even if the Canadian government isn't making some kind of attempts to destabilize Gilead or get the one-up on someone in a high place, someone else is going to.

This threw me as well. It would have been way more satisfying if Moira had gone public about Jezebel's and the high level hypocrite patron who is right over there if you'd like photos. It would have been brutal for Gilead and the Waterfords.

Also, the American spy would have been better off slipping Serena a fertility test to go along with the insinuation that the commander's shooting blanks.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
yikes, this episode

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yes, this one was legitimately hard to watch from the halfway point on.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hardest part was watching Nick not do anything in an almost ideal escape opportunity.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So Eden is totally sharing strawberries with the house's new young sociopath, yes?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yes, this one was legitimately hard to watch from the halfway point on.

I'm not normally one to get nightmares from tv or movies, but I had some hosed up dreams after watching this week's ep.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The timing on this was perfect.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

The timing on this was perfect.

I thought the same thing. Last week's Canada episode synced up oddly well with current events too.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This threw me as well. It would have been way more satisfying if Moira had gone public about Jezebel's and the high level hypocrite patron who is right over there if you'd like photos. It would have been brutal for Gilead and the Waterfords.

Also, the American spy would have been better off slipping Serena a fertility test to go along with the insinuation that the commander's shooting blanks.

It makes little sense that the Canadian government didn't bother to question Moira (or other refugees) about their experiences in Gilead. They're helping the American government in exile, wouldn't they want as much intelligence as they could get? Instead, they just hand the refugees their complimentary box of TimBits and send them on their way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah, that was really rough to watch, but also a very good episode. maaaan.

still yelling at the screen for Nick to just be like "hey, you realize that in the Long Long Ago people didn't get assigned teenage wives, right? Just chill out" but i guess we're meant to think she's so brainwashed she'd rat him out for even saying that much?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

McStabby posted:

It makes little sense that the Canadian government didn't bother to question Moira (or other refugees) about their experiences in Gilead. They're helping the American government in exile, wouldn't they want as much intelligence as they could get? Instead, they just hand the refugees their complimentary box of TimBits and send them on their way.

What I want to know is if they put the Gilead refugees up in the same hotel as the furry convention, now that would be true to life.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

precision posted:

yeah, that was really rough to watch, but also a very good episode. maaaan.

still yelling at the screen for Nick to just be like "hey, you realize that in the Long Long Ago people didn't get assigned teenage wives, right? Just chill out" but i guess we're meant to think she's so brainwashed she'd rat him out for even saying that much?

I'm wondering if she and the other young wives from the ceremony come from proto-Gilead extremist cults or something. She knows a hell of a lot more about cooking and keeping a husband happy than I did at fifteen.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
That episode was fantastic but extremely hard to watch. Exceptionally well shot too.

The trailer is giving me the vibe that maybe one of the Waterfords won’t make it to the end of the season.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just want to say that near the end I absolutely lost it, and had to pause the show while my wife and I just held each other and wept. Needless to say, current events have been hitting me especially hard this week.

Holy hell, the timing on that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I legit thought that was the season finale lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I legit thought that was the season finale lol.

If this season goes by without us getting an Aunt Lydia background episode or at least one dead Waterford, I'm going to be legit upset.

• Locked thread