Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Harry Lime posted:

Pure loving rules, an upside of getting laid off today is hopefully in my next gig I'll get to sell it.

Sorry to hear that. :( Hope you find a new job quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bigmandan posted:

Whats lacking in Dell Storage Manger compared to Infosight? I haven't used Nimble stuff before.

Infosight is Nimble cloud based call home telemetry system. Every array sends telemetry data every 5 minutes and then Nimble does a bunch of analytics on the back end to do predictive analysis and trending. So for instance if they find a bug they can identify arrays that have the workload pattern or configuration that makes them a likely candidate to hit than bug and notify the owners as well make the updated code with the bug fix available to them first. Or they can identify when it seems likely that an upgrade will be required based on trends in cache utilization, cpu, memory, disk, etc, and notify the customer. If you call with a performance issue they will have a substantial amount of information available to assist you without requiring that you run special tools to gather data.

There’s basically a lot of analytic data they can pull since they’ve got a ton of samples from every array in their customer base to make smarter decisions from a support and engineering perspective. HP bought Nimble in large part due to the Infosight platform and not the actual array technology. The arrays are good, but the infrastructure they’ve built around Infosight is really neat and can be expanded in a lot of interesting ways.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

HPE is the problem. It's like Oracle. Not to be trifled with if you can at all avoid it.
1) I would buy another Nimble today, no problem. I don't care who owns them, the product is great.
2) I love my Oracle ZFS appliances (though I don't think I would buy them again, because I can just buy Nimble)

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Infosight is Nimble cloud based call home telemetry system. Every array sends telemetry data every 5 minutes and then Nimble does a bunch of analytics on the back end to do predictive analysis and trending. So for instance if they find a bug they can identify arrays that have the workload pattern or configuration that makes them a likely candidate to hit than bug and notify the owners as well make the updated code with the bug fix available to them first. Or they can identify when it seems likely that an upgrade will be required based on trends in cache utilization, cpu, memory, disk, etc, and notify the customer. If you call with a performance issue they will have a substantial amount of information available to assist you without requiring that you run special tools to gather data.

There’s basically a lot of analytic data they can pull since they’ve got a ton of samples from every array in their customer base to make smarter decisions from a support and engineering perspective. HP bought Nimble in large part due to the Infosight platform and not the actual array technology. The arrays are good, but the infrastructure they’ve built around Infosight is really neat and can be expanded in a lot of interesting ways.

Sounds like a better version of Support Assist then. We do get notifications and auto generated tickets from Dell when there is a potential issue. For example, one of the cache batteries was showing warning signs a while back. A ticket was automatically generated and a new battery shipped out before it became an actual issue.

Not sure how much analysis they do on the data though.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( Hope you find a new job quickly.

Thanks, I'm in Boston metro so I'm not too stressed about finding another role yet.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Infosight is indeed awesome. To fanboy on Pure some more their equivalent product Pure One is just about as good and operates on the same model. They are also soon introducing VM level analysis which was something infosight held over it for a long time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bigmandan posted:

Sounds like a better version of Support Assist then. We do get notifications and auto generated tickets from Dell when there is a potential issue. For example, one of the cache batteries was showing warning signs a while back. A ticket was automatically generated and a new battery shipped out before it became an actual issue.

Not sure how much analysis they do on the data though.

The basic call home functionality has existed for a long time across a lot of vendors, but it's traditionally been reactive. Some sort of failure triggers a call home message and a part is dispatched or a case opened or whatever. Being able to predict potential failures and address them before they happen is a lot more useful though. Instead of waiting for something to blow up they can use the telematic data to say that "customers who are running workloads that have these characteristics seem to have worse performance than prior to the upgrade, so let's identify all customers who fall into that bucket that haven't upgraded yet and not allow them to pull the newest firmware and upgrade. Additionally lets notify the customers that have upgraded that we have identified the issue and are working on a fix." It can significantly lenghten the time between a bug or remediation being introduced and it being corrected, often times with it being corrected before a large part of their customer base has to hit it.

Edit: ^^^^ Pure is indeed extremely good. They've been playing catchup on the analytics side but they've got a pretty got product as well, though the customer facing information is not as good as in Infosight. But I'd certainly pick Pure over Nimble at this point because they've got a good roadmap. Active Cluster is a real killer feature.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 14, 2018

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Thanks for that excellent write up on infosight! We had looked at Pure as well but they can in outside of our budget range, which admittedly was probably set too low for this.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

adorai posted:

1) I would buy another Nimble today, no problem. I don't care who owns them, the product is great.

This. Just got an AF1000 with 24 disks last week and have been putting it through its paces. I had to deal with support already (weird issue with a disk dropping off at every reboot), but they were fantastic and US-based. Also, 35K IOPS with our normal 75/25 workload in iometer is just :fap:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Thanks for that excellent write up on infosight! We had looked at Pure as well but they can in outside of our budget range, which admittedly was probably set too low for this.

Pure is competitive with other all flash platforms. If they were much more expensive either the Pure account manager or your VAR weren’t giving you appropriate discounts. You should try again.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Any thoughts on the Pure evergreen or HPE timeless support options where you get included controller upgrades after a few years? Are they truly worth it?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Q1: No. you shouldn’t reboot it just to reboot it.

Q2: This depends on your host configuration. If all of the connected hosts have multipathing enabled for their disk devices and have at least one path to interfaces on each controller then a controller reboot will not cause an outage. You have to verify this at the host level. The SAN can’t tell you if MPIO is correctly configured on your hosts.

Q3: The controllers are the brains. There’s nothing else in the enclosure to be restarted.

Q4: If you haven’t had issues then you generally shouldn’t touch it unless it’s to fix a specific issue you’re aware of or concerned about. The MSA boxes are old workhorses so most of the kinks were worked out long ago and you aren’t going to get any new features. That said you should at least test that you CAN do single controller reboots and fail over properly because you don’t want to discover that it doesn’t work when a controller actually fails and everything is down. Set up a maintenance window and test it. Apply the most recent firmware while you’re at it.

Thank you for a top-notch reply, i checked around for newer firmware and there has been a few, some mention fixing issues that sounds to be atleast in the same ballpark as mine. I'll see if i can get a longer service window during the summer holidays, and make sure i have a reasonable plan B before trying anything.

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Any thoughts on the Pure evergreen or HPE timeless support options where you get included controller upgrades after a few years? Are they truly worth it?

Honestly it depends on how your company prefers to do purchases. If getting capex money is like pulling teeth and opex money is more freely available Pure's Evergreen model is a great way to ensure that you get a tech refresh after 3 years. For the most part what it does is spread the cost of new controllers out over 6 years instead of being a big capex spend 3 years in. Its been a minute since I've done the math but if you take the price difference between silver and gold(which gives you evergreen) support it ends up being roughly the same cost as what net new controllers would be in 3 years. The biggest upsides are your costs over 6 years are known due to Pure's flat maintenance cost model where as there are bunch of variables that could influence net new controller cost at the three year mark. Having been a Pure partner I'll also say that they tend to give the steepest hardware discounts on the first array. Competing vendors will often claim that the "new" controllers you get at the three year mark are actually used or refurbished ones from other customers which I can't confirm because I never asked. Also worth keeping in mind that while a controller refresh will get you an NVMe ready controller you'll have to pay for the NVMe drives when you are ready to make that jump. Someone else will have to chime in on HPE timeless support as I can't speak to it with any authority.

The Pigeon
Feb 8, 2008

I have nothing to say here.
College Slice

Make sure you read the fine print really well and go in with a good understanding of what they mean.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

underlig posted:

Thank you for a top-notch reply, i checked around for newer firmware and there has been a few, some mention fixing issues that sounds to be atleast in the same ballpark as mine. I'll see if i can get a longer service window during the summer holidays, and make sure i have a reasonable plan B before trying anything.

Keep a full backup at hand, i had multiple controllers poo poo themself on my p2000 g3(same dothill kit of yours, just slightly older) during firmware updates. Also try extracting the firmware package from the hpe executable and deploy it via web rather than use the self-extracting firmware upgrader, even hpe support suggested me to do so when i got a partial update failure(a was updated, b was hosed on the older version).

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Anyone have experience with HPE StoreOnce/Catalyst & Veeam Backup?

We are using a 100TB StoreOnce as a CIFS-based backup repository and been having nothing but trouble with the StoreOnce shares going away randomly, requiring a reboot of the array to recover.

We do have some other backups going with HPE Catalyst and that seems to not be having the same issues and am considering moving our Veeam shares to Catalyst instead of straight CIFS, however it seems there's a lot of caveats to consider before doing that.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Tintri is super loving dead

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4182301-tintri-hope-acquisition-final-days

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

:yikes:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

https://ir.tintri.com/node/7136/html

Form 10-K posted:

Executive compensation Ken Klein (CEO)

2017: $350,000
2018: $600,000

:stare: I don't know if this was some pre-determined salary bump before they knew they were in trouble, but wow. That means he effectively just got paid for a whole year in the first 6 months.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

H110Hawk posted:

:stare: I don't know if this was some pre-determined salary bump before they knew they were in trouble, but wow. That means he effectively just got paid for a whole year in the first 6 months.

I'm doing life wrong.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I have a Unitrends 824s appliance, about 12tb of backups on it right now. I have a $30k credit with them that expires end of year. Unit is under support until may of next year. Are there any other vendors I should be looking at besides Unitrends. My Dell rep is pushing Data Domain, I have no experience with them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Mr-Spain posted:

I have a Unitrends 824s appliance, about 12tb of backups on it right now. I have a $30k credit with them that expires end of year. Unit is under support until may of next year. Are there any other vendors I should be looking at besides Unitrends. My Dell rep is pushing Data Domain, I have no experience with them.

Rubrik or Cohesity. At that size more like Cohesity, Rubrik is probably too expensive.

H110Hawk posted:

Their fiscal year 2018 ended on January 31, 2018. So that was basically his compensation for calendar year 2017. He also got a bunch of stock that has zero value now! And he got fired.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone make a good continuous backup appliance I can point at a bunch of SMB shares? About 30TB worth

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Does anyone make a good continuous backup appliance I can point at a bunch of SMB shares? About 30TB worth

Rubrik can do NAS backups, worth checking to see if they can meet whatever your SLA requirements are.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My SLA requirement is “please for the love of gently caress let me get rid of TSM” right about now. I just don’t have te time for a Citrix style complex integration project. I need to be able to give it domain credentials and a list of shares and be on my way.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Rubrik can do NAS backups, worth checking to see if they can meet whatever your SLA requirements are.

Rubrik does NAS backup but their current implementation leaves much to be desired as it doesn’t do any parallel processing. That should be fixed in an upcoming version.

Alternate strategy: buy Cohesity, move it all to Cohesity, back up to the cloud or another cohesity elsewhere.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We have a netapp controller pair already but the performance is garbage (small controllers and large disk sets). We’re buying isilon in Jan probably, but I want options in case we don’t.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

evil_bunnY posted:

A good friend of mine is in sales at Rubrik. PM me and I can give you his email if you want.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m in the EU so it might not be super fruitful but I’ll get in touch

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Wow, HPE is about to lose a sale to Dell because CDW can’t manage to get pricing we’ve been asking for like two weeks. I really liked the AF40 but holy hell get your poo poo together.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wow, HPE is about to lose a sale to Dell because CDW can’t manage to get pricing we’ve been asking for like two weeks. I really liked the AF40 but holy hell get your poo poo together.

And it's not like HPE gets more responsive once they have your money.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

We have a netapp controller pair already but the performance is garbage (small controllers and large disk sets). We’re buying isilon in Jan probably, but I want options in case we don’t.

Cohesity is a scale out NAS similar to Isilon, but not an EMC product and therefore better. Also does backup like Rubrik on the same appliance and has native cloud tiering connectivity. It’s neat stuff. Rubrik is loving expensive and I definitely wouldn’t buy it purely for NAS backup. If you’re using it for VM and DB backup it’s pretty great though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Shoot me a PM if you want a solid contact at PCM. We have had zero issues getting solid pricing for Nimble (HPE) through her.

Edit: We cut all ties with CDW because they treated us like poo poo and gave is poo poo pricing.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

I can't stand CDW. Perhaps it's because we're not a mega-enterprise, but their pricing has been abysmal and we experienced a high AM turnover. SHI is now our preferred VAR.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

VAR stuff is always a crap shoot. Depends highly on your AM, especially with the bigger ones.

Not to shill for anything but I work for a small VAR in the PNW if anyone up there ever wants to talk to a VAR about something.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

I can't stand CDW. Perhaps it's because we're not a mega-enterprise, but their pricing has been abysmal and we experienced a high AM turnover. SHI is now our preferred VAR.

Our last AM at CDW was great! I will definitely be looking into other VARs for our next big purchase though, this experience really pissed me off.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Cohesity is a scale out NAS similar to Isilon, but not an EMC product and therefore better.
I feel ya about EMC but Isilon is going to be it. It's not the worst EMC product TBH

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I feel ya about EMC but Isilon is going to be it. It's not the worst EMC product TBH

Prepare to get reamed for your renewals after your initial warranty is up.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Isilon on it’s own is alright, I just can’t stand working with EMC. It’s like black mold. You get a little of it and before you know it’s everywhere and you can’t get rid of it and it just ends up costing you money and making you sick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isilon on a casual glance seems to be the only scale-out NAS platform that doesn't try and downplay performance expectations. Is that EMC overreaching or is that a fair assessment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Isilon on it’s own is alright, I just can’t stand working with EMC. It’s like black mold. You get a little of it and before you know it’s everywhere and you can’t get rid of it and it just ends up costing you money and making you sick.
Aye that's how I feel. Our reseller is good and I don't have to talk to them so that's a plus.

Wicaeed posted:

Prepare to get reamed for your renewals after your initial warranty is up.
My man i am not *that* new at this game. support extensions are priced in the RFPs, always.