Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Watch some Jorphdan videos. I, too, thought the Forgotten Realms was boring before I knew it's actual history and stories. Typing that out looks real dumb, right? The Time of Troubles is a cool story (and apparently game setting!). I'm not saying you in particular do or don't, just saying that perhaps you guys should give FR a chance.

Im not trying to say its good or bad. Im saying its usually a tough sell picking something over just running FR or FR-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I realize that. I'm saying, sidebar: it's kinda good. :)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just finished the rakashasha fight. Tiberius is a punk. Rip carpet. And loved kayleth's first kiss

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Good thing Vex stole his broom.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Firstborn posted:

I realize that. I'm saying, sidebar: it's kinda good. :)

Honest I think all the cool and interesting parts are the stuff people never use and we instead get sword coast romps forever :(

CuwiKhons posted:

Sounds like it got swept under the rug.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

CuwiKhons posted:

It's probably me projecting, but good lord that's a livid use of a period

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Someone has stairs in their house. (That said, I want to be on the opposite side of the planet when this happens.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Someone has stairs in their house. (That said, I want to be on the opposite side of the planet when this happens.)

Matt started out as a cosplayer. He's a total dork.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

He mentioned in the Warcraft one-shot that he was so excited to play World of Warcraft and went to the midnight release or whatever back in the day. What a huge nerd.

It really made me think, maybe I called him a poo poo mage in a dungeon or whatever ten years ago.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's an extremely good chance I trolled him on ytmnd.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
So, some changes afoot apparently, including a new studio.

https://critrole.com/an-important-announcement-regarding-critical-role/

Everything will still be broadcast the same, but it'll be interesting to see what this ends up changing.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Kraps posted:

Great timing making CR its own business so it'll still survive once Legendary inevitably drops Nerdist/G&S! haha!

nervous flailing

I have the ability to see into the future!

Oh no I just lost it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OmniBeer posted:

So, some changes afoot apparently, including a new studio.

https://critrole.com/an-important-announcement-regarding-critical-role/

Everything will still be broadcast the same, but it'll be interesting to see what this ends up changing.

Looks like they've achieved full independence from Geek & Sundry to let them make more content on their own terms.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

chitoryu12 posted:

Looks like they've achieved full independence from Geek & Sundry to let them make more content on their own terms.

Which is a definite plus.

I'm wondering when they'll shift over to using only their own channel- they say they're going to keep everything broadcasting the same for now, but I can only imagine that's the next step.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

OmniBeer posted:

Which is a definite plus.

I'm wondering when they'll shift over to using only their own channel- they say they're going to keep everything broadcasting the same for now, but I can only imagine that's the next step.

I'd imagine neither party wants to fully separate from the geek and sundry twitch; Critical Role puts up G&S's biggest numbers, and it'll be a bit of a process to get folks to switch over to the new channel.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

The cynic in me expect a load of tech issues at the start as they get used to the new studio/setup but that seems like a good move, minus the obvious pitfall of going into business with your friends.

I hope they get to keep that sweet gaming table they've been using in C2

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

A bit more clarity on how they're planning to handle their content-split between G&S and their new channel:
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1008756756216811520

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Timely, with looming concerns over Nerdist/G&Ss future.

Hopefully this means more weekly content from them. Maybe more guest-centric one-shots? A concurrent campaign run by Liam or Talisen?

This is still great news for them, and a great fallback for a crew that has never really relied on steady gigs.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I wonder what the new content will be. I assume that their new shows will feature the regulars of Critical Role, unlike the other G&S and Alpha shows which were largely a separate entity from CR, excluding Marisha's work and the time Liam was on Dread (never watched, any good?). Will it be TTRPG focused, or will it involve the 8 of them in other areas beyond gaming? Will Travis finally make "Sportsball"?

Also, I wonder about the ownership structure of the new network. Are all the cast members equal partners, or is this gonna be Matt and Marisha's network with help from their friends? I assume that with Travis' presence in the announcement video he and Laura at least will be pretty involved, but only time will tell.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Silynt posted:

Will Travis finally make "Sportsball"?

A livestreamed indoor football match. Travis vs. everyone else.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

chitoryu12 posted:

A livestreamed indoor football match. Travis vs. everyone else.

Seems a little unfair.

At least give everyone else Joe Manganiello as a sub.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm guessing we're about to see a whole lot of one-shots become their own thing

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Obby The Rat The Series?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't have any ill will about Geek & Sundry but it's deffo clear who's doing the heavy lifting over there (and I certainly won't miss their show about fanboying over Elon Musk)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Silynt posted:

I wonder what the new content will be. I assume that their new shows will feature the regulars of Critical Role, unlike the other G&S and Alpha shows which were largely a separate entity from CR, excluding Marisha's work and the time Liam was on Dread (never watched, any good?). Will it be TTRPG focused, or will it involve the 8 of them in other areas beyond gaming? Will Travis finally make "Sportsball"?

Dread is very good, both seasons of it. The first season had Matt and Taliesin on it, and it started out as just a one shot on International Tabletop Day. Fans loved it so much it was made into a longer thing and then got a second season with Liam and Marisha. It's probably the best reason to ever have an Alpha subscription.

At any rate, I assume any new shows would be one shots the cast potentially wants to run. Having their own channel completely frees them up to do content whenever they want instead of having to schedule around other shows on G&S.

quote:

Also, I wonder about the ownership structure of the new network. Are all the cast members equal partners, or is this gonna be Matt and Marisha's network with help from their friends? I assume that with Travis' presence in the announcement video he and Laura at least will be pretty involved, but only time will tell.

I also wonder about this. Matt owns the CR brand and has since the beginning. But I would think the cast is gaining at least partial ownership since they're opening their own studio.

My top concern at this point is that since Marisha is stepping down from being Creative Director at G&S, is Taliesin also going to start cutting ties and move away from being co-host of Wednesday Club and Gather Your Party? I watch Wednesday Club religiously and Gather Your Party somewhat less so but they're both very funny and enjoyable, in large part due to Taliesin. I'd really hate to see him leave those.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
with CR becoming its separate thing and Shield of Tomorrow ending what does G&S have left?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't know Shield of Tomorrow was ending. Presumably then they have whatever Eric Campbell does next and maybe Wednesday Club :v:

For now, CR isn't leaving G&S. It'll still be viewable there and G&S will probably still see subscription numbers from it. But it's hard not to imagine that this move will eventually have CR leaving G&S entirely.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Blockhouse posted:

with CR becoming its separate thing and Shield of Tomorrow ending what does G&S have left?

Weave Society?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

They have those fantastic articles being put out on their site like 'which star wars rpg is right for you?' which includes a list of 4 rpgs and informs you that yes, they are in fact star wars rpgs. Or the recaps of Critical Role I guess?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
They just brought back Spellslingers with Day9 which definitely does good numbers, I wonder if that was planned to coincide with this news. But that is just a YouTube show, not an ongoing stream.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuwiKhons posted:

I didn't know Shield of Tomorrow was ending.

I found out because STO is doing an event for it of all things and then the official twitter confirmed it's ending in July

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I found out because STO is doing an event for it of all things and then the official twitter confirmed it's ending in July

Huh. I like that Eric's stories all have solid endings. His Doctor Who RPG was good too. I know he's talked about wanting to do a Changeling the Lost game in the past, maybe that's what he's working on next. I hope so anyway, I love Changeling.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

CuwiKhons posted:

Huh. I like that Eric's stories all have solid endings. His Doctor Who RPG was good too. I know he's talked about wanting to do a Changeling the Lost game in the past, maybe that's what he's working on next. I hope so anyway, I love Changeling.

Unrelated to CR but are there any good streamed/recorded/youtube Changeling/Shade/Mage games out there? I've only ever played VTM and Werewolf back in the day, and couldn't quite wrap my head around those 3, mainly because my friends and I were hack and slash focused over RP by a long shot.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I want a sports talk show hosted by Travis.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kraps posted:

In-character as Grog.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kraps posted:

Get Travis to play a bloodbowl rpg campaign run in fate or something.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm surprised that this seems to be an amicable thing between the CR cast and Geek and Sundry, from all appearances CR is the Geek and Sundry Golden Goose and I'm surprised they were willing to let them just do it in their own studio and take over all that sweet sweet merch. Maybe just a step towards independence but still a partnership thing going on since everything will be broadcast on the places it has been up until now?

I don't envy the people who have to actually keep all the IP rights and general business contract stuff sorted out over there though. It's our own characters that we came up with, but we're using the D&D system and lots of official content (Gods and such) in our broadcasts, and we were doing our own thing but then we gave you the right to stream our games out to everyone and just... it's gotta be a pretty tangled mess unless the CR peeps got a sweet simple contract when they signed on or re-negotiated into basically being independent after they became a big success, and given the timing of this announcement I wouldn't be surprised if that re-negotiation happened soon after the end of the first campaign.

I don't think Legendary and G&S are going to go under just because Hardwick turned out to be an rear end in a top hat, but I've long thought it was a miracle that it's kept going as well as it has when I glance over at a non CR stream and see maybe 1,000 people watching on a good day and typically far fewer, so who knows what the future holds there. I kind of figured CR would keep on trucking even in that situation since it's not like the cast couldn't raid Sam's wine fund or whatever and get a studio + crew setup in place and do it nearly as good as it's being done now, so this is just confirming that there aren't any rights issues and the contingencies will be firmly in place no matter what goes down.

Ultimately they're promising more shows and content in the direct CR vein, so if that means fun one-shots and the like popping up in addition to the standard weekly show that's just a real good time. I wouldn't be surprised if they do some stuff with most of the cast + a guest DM from outside the cast as well, maybe with Matt stepping in as a player more often. Kind of a Force Grey style mini-campaign of 4-6 sessions or so, maybe they work through the Pandemonium stuff from the end of Campaign 1? Popping back into those Vox Machina shoes seems like an obvious move to do real soon after making the big studio move, it'd be the first thing I'd want to do from a business standpoint to grab attention and send that attention to the new youtube and twitch channels.

Anyway, lots of possibilities and I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NowonSA posted:

Anyway, lots of possibilities and I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Me too, I'm a big fan of anything that exposes people to different game systems out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think the G&S folks don't have a problem with it (and in fact seem quite enthusiastic) because it really has nothing to do with them. The more I hear about this, the more it seems like this is the cast attempting to get out from under Legendary's thumb. They have no plans to stop airing either Critical Role or Talks Machina on G&S/Alpha and in fact right now it's looking like neither show will be broadcast on the CR channel (at least, this is the stated plan for the moment). The studio seems to serve the purpose of letting them create additional content at their own pace and schedule that isn't beholden to the G&S schedule (like if they wanted to air something in the same time slot as Shield of Tomorrow or whatever Eric produces next), as well as letting them be in control of their own production and their own merchandise.

That said, if CR ever does properly leave G&S, I think G&S is sunk. It's been very clear for a long time that in terms of viewership, not only does nothing bring in numbers like CR but other shows only tend to have decent viewership when they contain a CR cast member, even if just as a guest. I don't have the hard numbers on that but it's been obliquely talked about by G&S crew before and from personal experience, there's a few shows I tuned in for solely because I heard someone on CR was going to be guesting that week.