Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

You are gross.

?

That's a pretty widely accepted method. Never tried it myself, but lots of folks here have done it with success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah idk what's wrong with that, seems.like it would cook the insides slowly then crisp up the outside.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ranter posted:

Do you like, squish it down hard, or do you remove 3/4s of the onion rings?

I was wondering the same thing when it came out but it compacted down very easily courtesy of the spongey brioche bun

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

?

That's a pretty widely accepted method. Never tried it myself, but lots of folks here have done it with success.

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah idk what's wrong with that, seems.like it would cook the insides slowly then crisp up the outside.
no it would be more like it gets oily and then slightly crisps up because it's been sitting in oil instead of frying. frying is the water in the food boiling off, if it's not hot enough all you're doing is stewing it in oil.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Elizabethan Error posted:

no it would be more like it gets oily and then slightly crisps up because it's been sitting in oil instead of frying. frying is the water in the food boiling off, if it's not hot enough all you're doing is stewing it in oil.

I'm pretty sure I'll believe Michelin starred chef Joel Robuchon creating this method and Cooks Illustrated confirming this technique works over forums poster Elizabethan Error claiming it's bad and sad.

Cold oil frying is a valid technique. I find it leads to hollow fries occasionally, but if you're lazy and don't wanna double fry, it's a great alternative.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm gonna play around with it, see what my results are, but it makes sense to me.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I went all in with the thread/serious eats smash burger technique. A good burg.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Did you have a griddle on a grill or something? That's a right big pile o' burgs.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Snowmankilla posted:

I went all in with the thread/serious eats smash burger technique. A good burg.

I'm salivating here, wanna eat those burgs

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Gwaihir posted:

Did you have a griddle on a grill or something? That's a right big pile o' burgs.

Yep. Big large cast iron griddle in the grill. Whole family loved them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Snowmankilla posted:

Yep. Big large cast iron griddle in the grill. Whole family loved them.

Yeah, next time I do smash burgers going to throw the cast iron griddle on the grill. It will save me from the wife running around opening windows and complaining then 10 minutes later saying "you know, these are pretty good." And all is forgiven.

So I can just skip to the pretty good part without drama.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good work, I want those in my mouth.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I made a Luther Burger last week. It was even better than I expected. The glazed doughnut makes it really messy though. I see why some versions have the doughnut "bun" set up toasted side out so it's less sticky.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Eating burgers and pizza with a knife and a fork is perfectly acceptable, too.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

beerinator posted:

I made a Luther Burger last week. It was even better than I expected. The glazed doughnut makes it really messy though. I see why some versions have the doughnut "bun" set up toasted side out so it's less sticky.

How does the sweet nut complement the savoury burg?

Pancakes and bacon seems like an oddity to me, how does it compare?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm pretty sure I'll believe Michelin starred chef Joel Robuchon creating this method and Cooks Illustrated confirming this technique works over forums poster Elizabethan Error claiming it's bad and sad.

Cold oil frying is a valid technique. I find it leads to hollow fries occasionally, but if you're lazy and don't wanna double fry, it's a great alternative.
'cold oil' is a misnomer then, you're not actually letting the oil sit at a low temp if it's rapidly heating

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

'cold oil' is a misnomer then, you're not actually letting the oil sit at a low temp if it's rapidly heating

???

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

sit
sit/Submit
verb
be or remain in a particular position or state.
"the fridge was sitting in a pool of water"

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

sit
sit/Submit
verb

Obviously "cold oil" frying doesn't literally refer to frying with cold oil, since that isn't possible under reasonably obtainable conditions. Starting from cold or room temperature oil and heating it with the food already submerged is a perfectly logical and acceptable use of the term "cold oil frying". You are wrong and look like dense semantard for trying to somehow make it seem like you are still correct in this situation, despite multiple people explaining otherwise in response to you with established techniques.

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 18, 2018

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Jamsta posted:

How does the sweet nut complement the savoury burg?

Pancakes and bacon seems like an oddity to me, how does it compare?

Pancake/Maple syrup and bacon is a pretty good analogy. If that doesn't sound good to you, then you might not like this. I personally am a huge fan of pouring a little extra maple syrup onto my bacon or sausage.

This was pretty intense though because you're dealing with something very savory and something very sweet. I toasted the doughnut and smashed the patty, so there was a good amount of texture in there too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

sit
sit/Submit
verb

Could you humor me and point to the use of the word 'sit' in one of the posts about the technique?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Could you humor me and point to the use of the word 'sit' in one of the posts about the technique?
sure, if you could similarly humour me and detail how you store your fries in a quantum pocket so they don't sit in the oil while it's heating up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What? What? Why are you so fixated on this 'sitting' thing? I don't understand why you started talking about things "sitting" as if that's somehow important?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Potatoes are not sponges. They’re not just gonna soak up oil. And as they get to temp, the water within will boil and expel much of what has settled into the rough surface.

I’m not sure if your trying to move the goalposts or really what you’re even arguing anymore. It’s a method that works. That well-regarded professional chefs recommend.

It’s ok to be wrong on the internet sometimes. When that happens, you don’t need to double down or argue semantics. Just appreciate that you learned something and move the gently caress on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well when my potatoes went in the oil they got to enjoy it and they did that thing potatoes do where they pretend to fry their moisture off but they don't actually fry their moisture off

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll try frying a batch of fries starting the oil at room temp, never heard of it before and was under the assumption it would come out soggy.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sure, if you could similarly humour me and detail how you store your fries in a quantum pocket so they don't sit in the oil while it's heating up.

Cook’s Illustrated made two batches of fries, one with this method and one with the traditional double fry method and sent both to a lab to be analyzed for fat content. The cold oil method had substantially less fat, around 1/3rd less than that of the double fry method.

Guess what? Your uninformed opinion about how oil penetrates potatoes and how frying in oil works is wrong. I didn’t expect that result either but I got over it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

sit
sit/Submit
verb

:chanpop:

quote:

It’s ok to be wrong on the internet sometimes. When that happens, you don’t need to double down or argue semantics. Just appreciate that you learned something and move the gently caress on.

Fuckin seriously

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Anyone mitice any major difference between grinding chuck vs brisket or something else

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Anyone mitice any major difference between grinding chuck vs brisket or something else

Do mean just the process of grinding or the meat itself? Brisket is super lean compared to chuck. Like well less than half the fat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Casu Marzu posted:

Fuckin seriously

The bloke has 2 probations in 2 days. Probably having personal issues.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Calmate, calmate. It's okay to be wrong. Especially when something seems like it would run opposite common sense.

I never would have guessed that would work. Gonna have to try it sometime, double frying takes too drat long to do at home.

beerinator posted:

Pancake/Maple syrup and bacon is a pretty good analogy. If that doesn't sound good to you, then you might not like this. I personally am a huge fan of pouring a little extra maple syrup onto my bacon or sausage.

This was pretty intense though because you're dealing with something very savory and something very sweet. I toasted the doughnut and smashed the patty, so there was a good amount of texture in there too.

I'm curious, but not enough to try it. I had a burger a while back here in town that had granny smith apple slices on it, as kind of a pickle replacement. It worked really well.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 20, 2018

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m watching Diners Drive-Ins & Dives and just learned about a place in Texas called Maple & Motor. Anyone ever been there? I might have to make up an excuse to make a trip.

If you're driving go here - https://dentonindependenthamburger.com/

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The chili burger here is probably the messiest thing I've ever eaten.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why are there beans as a side?

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Good beans need no excuse to be on the side.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Uhhhhhhh. I just had my first Shake Shack, and I won’t be having another. I mean, Five Guys ain’t all that, but this was worse in every respect. Insignificant bun, cold meat and cheese, no seasoning options, ‘Fifty/Fifty’ drink billed as ‘half lemonade half iced tea’ was the bad halves of those things, both sour and bitter and no sweet at all. The place looked like a re-gentrified McDonalds, smelled freshly bleached, had twenty staff just kind of ambling around pointlessly. Maybe it’s just London, but my Five Guys experiences have ranged from acceptable to good here, so I’ll just conclude they suck.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I 100% agree with your review of Shake Shack. My experience of the one at Canary Wharf was exactly as you described, down to the bleach and aimless staff and crap burger.

Even the chips were poo poo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Steakandchips posted:

I 100% agree with your review of Shake Shack. My experience of the one at Canary Wharf was exactly as you described, down to the bleach and aimless staff and crap burger.

Even the chips were poo poo.

I went to the Cambridge Circus one: guess Five Guys on Argyll Street is still my go-to chain burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I’m watching Diners Drive-Ins & Dives and just learned about a place in Texas called Maple & Motor. Anyone ever been there? I might have to make up an excuse to make a trip.

You can make a weekend trip of burgers in Dallas:
Maple & motor
Off-site kitchen
Rodeo goat
Keller’s drive in
Knife
Neighborhood services
The grape

And tons more I can’t remember