Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Personally I'd tell them I'm excited about it, then tell them how much it'll cost em.

Good luck though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey where's that thing for putting in your approximate job title, experience, and locale and getting back percentile pay bands

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh i found it. it was the stackoverflow thing

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bloody posted:

oh i found it. it was the stackoverflow thing
I entered some info on it and got some numbers. Then I clicked back and raised the experience by 5 years and got some lower numbers.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

ShadowHawk posted:

I entered some info on it and got some numbers. Then I clicked back and raised the experience by 5 years and got some lower numbers.

gently caress old people lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im going to hand in my notice next week :toot:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Congratulations

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Valeyard posted:

im going to hand in my notice next week :toot:

it feels pretty great

I’m looking forward to my new job in a couple weeks. it’s for a much bigger company than I’ve ever worked for before

and it comes with 5 weeks pto gently caress yeah

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

quick sanity check:

my company's currently trying to recruit someone with a masters/ preferably phd in computer science + prior experience developing software to create/ incorporate machine learning features in a project/ write and publish research around this.

£25,000 annually is an absurdly lowball figure for this, right?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

yes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

that resume will easily command 100k british punds in greater london, and probably 80k~ up north.

where is this company of lowballers located?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

my company's currently trying to recruit someone with a masters/ preferably phd in computer science + prior experience developing software to create/ incorporate machine learning features in a project/ write and publish research around this.

lol this person can start at $200k a year with zero experience or references in Seattle

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

laffo, cheers - company's over by leeds, so not on the highest end of the payscale but still

just 10 days left to apply!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

that wouldn’t even cover a grad student in the US :lol:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

VileLL posted:

laffo, cheers - company's over by leeds, so not on the highest end of the payscale but still

just 10 days left to apply!

i'd do it if it was remote-only and I only had to work one day a week

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

My starting salary ten years ago post-PhD was higher than that, they have zero chance of getting any non-idiot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

that wouldn’t even cover a grad student in the US :lol:

wouldn't cover any computer toucher in the US

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

where’s all the loving money for that position? lining the pockets of some rear end in a top hat c-level after skimping out on apartment building cladding? or maybe it’s russian bribe money and they’re laundering it slowly?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pollyanna posted:

where’s all the loving money for that position? lining the pockets of some rear end in a top hat c-level after skimping out on apartment building cladding? or maybe it’s russian bribe money and they’re laundering it slowly?

maybe they're just ahead of the curve (seeing as the uk is a sinking ship)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

wouldn't cover any computer toucher in the US

in the US it'd be for a h1b scam but even that is low for that

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

in the US it'd be for a h1b scam but even that is low for that

The minimum h1b salary is nearly twice that, even after converting it to dollars. Thats an insanely low salary, US federal minimum wage is 15k a year (and in a lot of states its higher)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well 1 GBP is $1.30 USD despite britain's best efforts at trashing their economy

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

well 1 GBP is $1.30 USD despite britain's best efforts at trashing their economy

Sure but you're buying stuff in Britain, i thought their prices (food, rent, etc) were roughly the same as ours just with a different currency.

Minimum h1b visa is 60k, and that salary in dollars is ~33k

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun posted:

i'd do it if it was remote-only and I only had to work one day a week

to be clear, this is not a joke. i have an ivy meng in exactly this sort of thing and i will work 8 hours a week for 25 kilobritbucks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

VileLL posted:

quick sanity check:

i knew a guy who got paid about that amount for 1 month of work doing this

also geoffrey hinton was one of my advisor's buddies, so apparently i sort-of-know a guy who got paid about that amount for 1.... hour of doing that

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
£25k is roughly what mcdonalds pays assistant managers in the uk

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
25k is lower than my intern salary 4 years ago

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Valeyard posted:

25k is lower than my intern salary 4 years ago

it was lower than what i got paid toto for a 4.5 month internship 5 years ago. not annualized, just the sum of it

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my 45% incraease has become a flat 50%

clearly i didnt ask for enough if they met my asking price (with some persistence and probably pissing off some people)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
talked to some fintech dudes, i think it went okay. seemed interesting technically and it'd be nice to work with people a lot smarter than i am for a change, but ugh, i'm really not too big of a fan of the company

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

companies are universally terrible, especially in finance. work for figgies instead which finance has a lot of.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Diva Cupcake posted:

companies are universally terrible, especially in finance. work for figgies instead which finance has a lot of.

i know, i know, but self-suggestion is one hell of a drug

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

companies are not to be trusted or given the benefit of the doubt

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i don't think i've ever worked for a company not terrible, i don't think i ever will

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boiled Water posted:

i don't think i've ever worked for a company not terrible, i don't think i ever will
fuit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
jeez, this week ive been getting an insane number of emails from ms and amazon recruiters. is it their hiring season or something?

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

jeez, this week ive been getting an insane number of emails from ms and amazon recruiters. is it their hiring season or something?

same and probably. companies probably figure with all the new grads starting they are doing onboarding bullshit for the next few months anyway so might as well get more people going.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i've never gotten a recruiting email in my life. whoops.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

the most recent email i got from an amazon recruiter had the subject "Alexa, What is on my Calendar?" and i spammed it before seeing what the hell it was because i figured it was marketing bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I ignore all the recruiters. I made a Google voice number for my resume so they would stop calling me.