Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The number of systems at play in that game is crazy. Food rots over time, animals can be tranquilized and thrown on enemies. Healing methods involving a logical progression of medicines and bandages being applied to your body, hunger affecting the player character in loss of stamina and a growing stomach that can alert enemies, hunger affecting enemies if their storehouse is destroyed, CQC, using enemy bombardment frequencies against them....all on a PS2.

I don't really see how being on a PS2 changes that in any way. All of those could have been done on a ps1 just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Can't do CQC without the emotion engine!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CQC and the pressure sensitive controls stuff in 3 sucks tremendous balls

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got Uncharted 4 as a bundle with my PS4 and just remembered I never played it. The HD remasters of 1-3 for £15 look like a pretty good deal, will I appreciate 4 more if I play the first ones? They all seem to be pretty highly-regarded action/adventures.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Over There posted:

What is the main appeal in racing games like GT or Burnout Paradise? I gave them a try for about an hour then I got bored. Is it more for people who really understand cars and customization? Not trying to be condescending or anything I really want to know.

I have zero interest in cars and customization and enjoy both of these games. Can't help with what the appeal is. I just like them (I even bought a X-box just to play Forza Horizon, although that one was a little to do with the cars as I grew up in Australia and it had a lot of classic Australian cars I've driven in it, which was fun). I also like many games that involve shooting things and have no interest in guns. You don't sound consescending, but I always find these kind of questions kind of weird.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I caved and bought GT Sport on sale at the last minute. I enjoyed what I played of 6 and they’ve added a single player mode to Sport since launch right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pierson posted:

I got Uncharted 4 as a bundle with my PS4 and just remembered I never played it. The HD remasters of 1-3 for £15 look like a pretty good deal, will I appreciate 4 more if I play the first ones? They all seem to be pretty highly-regarded action/adventures.

Maybe a little bit, but not playing them won't ruin 4. All you would be missing out on is a few personal history bits and momentary missed references, the broad strokes of the characters and franchise should become clear very quickly.

If you do take the plunge, keep in mind that Uncharted 1 is very unrefined by modern standards and that 2 and 3 are way better and more representative of the franchise.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The number of systems at play in that game is crazy. Food rots over time, animals can be tranquilized and thrown on enemies. Healing methods involving a logical progression of medicines and bandages being applied to your body. Hunger affecting the player character in loss of stamina and a growling stomach that can alert enemies, hunger affecting enemies if their storehouse is destroyed. CQC. Using enemy bombardment frequencies against them....all on a PS2.
A lot of these things and things like them were put into MGSurvive and people really didn’t want to try it.

Which is a shame because that game was really fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I’ve never really played 1-3 and I had no issues. Plus they’re all really ganky compared to 4 from what I played of the Nathan Drake Collection

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exquisite tea posted:

Where's my Playstation-themed kart racing game, Sony.

Would you settle for a Naughty Dog developed playstation exclusive kart racer featuring gaming's most enduring icon?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Crash Bandicoot is a fuckboy.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Crash is the original psx icon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Fortunately Naughty Dog brought us two far more memorable PSX icons, Man with Gun and Bearded Man with Gun.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exquisite tea posted:

Crash Bandicoot is a fuckboy.

*crosses arms and raises a large anthropomorphic eyebrow while tapping my foot impatintly* in disbelief

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Naught Dog made two straight girls kiss and I'll never forgive them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey PS4 thread how do I upload things to the tweetsters and not get this error anymore please help

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
im the disney channel executive who censored the lesbean kiss.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The only 2.5d PSX icons I care about

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Naught Dog made two straight girls kiss and I'll never forgive them.

I know brutal violence is TLOU's whole "thing" but did they really have to make those cultists swear allegiance to the gay agenda before Ellie bricked them in that E3 trailer?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Over There posted:

What is the main appeal in racing games like GT or Burnout Paradise? I gave them a try for about an hour then I got bored. Is it more for people who really understand cars and customization? Not trying to be condescending or anything I really want to know.

Those are two very different racing games though. I haven't played much GT so I can't say exactly where it is on the sim/arcade spectrum (the last one I had I bought late in the PS3's lifecycle for like £8, and when I put it in the drive it informed me it was downloading updates 1/19, and had 3,800 minutes remaining) but GT is definitely more about serious driving, racing lines and perfect laps, leaving worse racers in the dust behind you. I played the hell out of Burnout though, because it's about being reckless, boosting everywhere and throwing your weight around, leaving weaker racers in a heap at the side of the road. More fun, and better suited to my skill level and impulse to tape down the throttle forever.

Either way there's some basic similarities: you're pushed to be faster, learn your optimal routes and the best way to take corners, and how best to overcome your opponents and challenges. The progression is the same too; start out with simple cars that are more reasonable, and then as you get further (and presumably better) you unlock bigger, faster, shinier toys to play with. After all, if they give you a supercar before you even learn to drive, you're going to crash at every corner and that's just frustrating.

Maybe you just don't like racing?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I went from two years of thinking Bloodborne was an impenetrable nightmare to it being my favorite game this gen :stare:

I want this to happen to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Where's my Playstation-themed kart racing game, Sony.

Like, driving around as the different PlayStations? Would the PS3 be the Bowser/Donkey Kong of the bunch?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
HZD questions.

Is anything missable? Or am I good as long as I do all the sidequests/errands before main missions, like usual.
I'm guessing skillup order doesn't really matter because over time I can unlock everything?
Same with gear upgrades?

My first two upgrades I put into scavenging because the game seems to involve a ton of crafting and I'd rather have more mats in the long run asap.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

1. Nothing is missable, and even if you finish the game before doing all the side content it just drops you right back into the world.
2. Most useful skills to have early on besides extra crafting stuff are the bow upgrades that slow time and let you knock 3 arrows at once.
3. Check vendors along the way because they all give out free boxes on VH and below. You definitely wanna buy the Sharpshot Bow with tearblast arrows ASAP, which is found at the very first Hunting Ground post-Proving.
4. There aren't too many gear tiers in this game and all the highest level stuff is available at Meridian, although vendors start giving out purple gear as early as Daytower.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Akuma posted:

A lot of these things and things like them were put into MGSurvive and people really didn’t want to try it.

Which is a shame because that game was really fun.

I don't think I could just enjoy those systems without having the whole thing tainted by what a cynical cash grab Survive is, not to mention Kojima being absent from it. Almost anything else MGS-related in the Fox engine would've been more palatable than co-op zombie survival shooter with crafting.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Counterpoint:

a) we have not seen indication of any gameplay other than walking simulator
b) he promised some famous person to not use his image for pew pew pew game and he will probably honour that has much has possible

Logic / Sane person opinions:

I don't think this game will be full walking simulator, but I doubt we will kill hordes in this one either.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

My first two upgrades I put into scavenging because the game seems to involve a ton of crafting and I'd rather have more mats in the long run asap.

Definitely do all the animal-based crafting soon, you'll want ammo and heal capacity. If you want to trivialize most combat encounters, especially with humans, take the combo of whistle and stealth kill. Long dodge (relatively late unlock) is also essential.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

I don't really see how being on a PS2 changes that in any way. All of those could have been done on a ps1 just fine.

Are you trollin. Sure they "could have" but how many 3d real-time action ps1 games can you think of that had this many systems? Consider how new 3D programming was at the time of the ps1 and gaming in general and why anyone would be crazy enough to cram so many systems in addition to such a big jump into a game in like 1998.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Are you trollin. Sure they "could have" but how many 3d real-time action ps1 games can you think of that had this many systems? Consider how new 3D programming was at the time of the ps1 and gaming in general and why anyone would be crazy enough to cram so many systems in addition to such a big jump into a game in like 1998.

Other developers don't add systems for system's sake for no good reason

fortunately Kojima is insane

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BITCH, Are you seriously suggesting throwing live snakes at guards (that will sometimes kill them), frogs that swim on the surface of lakes, dogs that are too afraid to attack you because you're wearing the croc cap, soldiers going hungry because you blew up their food supply shacks and a voiced codec call specificallyfor killing a human, letting their body get eaten by a vulture, killing the vulture and then eating the vulture with human guts in it are USELESS?

In my ps4 thread?

*puts on fingerless posting gloves* get the gently caress out of here with your blatant trolling or you're about to learn why they call me the biggest virgin on SA. This is your only warning because once I get going, I go for blood. You step into my yard, expect to get bit, tough guy.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I only played through MGS3 once and I'm regretting it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MGS3 is a godlike game, one of the best of all time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The only downside to playing MGS3 now is the terrible PS2 game style controls and not being able to crouch and walk

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MGS3 is pretty good but check this out: Peace Walker

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

no

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

rise of the tomb raider 70% off, sweet!

Shy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 18, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Also owns and is better than mgsv in many aspects tbqh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

The only downside to playing MGS3 now is the terrible PS2 game style controls and not being able to crouch and walk

You can crouch walk... in the 3DS port :troll:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

homeless snail posted:

This guy gets it. I put a near endless amount of time into Peace Walker. MGS3 is real good too of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Shy posted:

rise of the tomb rider70% off, sweet!

:heysexy: