Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

FoldableHuman posted:

I haven't watched whatever this is but the title reminded me of this video where a dude makes an axe entirely out of bronze and then, when he's testing it at the end, hacks his shin open because he's waving a solid bronze hatchet around with one hand and operating a camcorder with the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjQCrL8moqw

Uh, warning for a dude hacking his own shin open, I guess.

It was sitting on his work...table?...and he was polishing it, not noticing the weight wasn't primarily on the table, and so it fell off and sliced him open. Still an idiot, but not as much of one as you made me think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the video where a guy attached a knife to a rotating rubber hand, and then didn't know how to turn it off without getting slashed or stabbed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like the video where a guy attached a knife to a rotating rubber hand, and then didn't know how to turn it off without getting slashed or stabbed.

The classic "poo poo TURN IT OFF"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtP8fgGtRT0

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Yardbomb posted:

The classic "poo poo TURN IT OFF"

I was thinking of this one in particular.

Bennett has a new video out for Not-Quite-Anime-Month: SWAT Kats.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 18, 2018

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

TheMaestroso posted:

It was sitting on his work...table?...and he was polishing it, not noticing the weight wasn't primarily on the table, and so it fell off and sliced him open. Still an idiot, but not as much of one as you made me think.

Right, I should have re-watched it before I said anything. My memory definitely made it worse (ish?) than it actually is.

Actually, now that I think about it I think at the time I first watched it I tweeted about how farcical it is that he waves it around recklessly, but ultimately the injury comes from it falling off the table.

Fake edit: yes

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/886090940539994112

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FoldableHuman posted:

I haven't watched whatever this is but the title reminded me of this video where a dude makes an axe entirely out of bronze and then, when he's testing it at the end, hacks his shin open because he's waving a solid bronze hatchet around with one hand and operating a camcorder with the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjQCrL8moqw

Uh, warning for a dude hacking his own shin open, I guess.

drat. I have always had in interest in metal work, maybe trying to make a sword or something, but poo poo like that is why i stay lazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

georg rockall-schmidt dropped a new video about bad plot twists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csNQ17Npcko

thumbnail is of one of my favorite bad movies so i'm in

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This might be the worst offense of cancerous ads prefacing good content:

https://twitter.com/marinashutup/status/1009297723839766529

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

This might be the worst offense of cancerous ads prefacing good content:

https://twitter.com/marinashutup/status/1009297723839766529

Reminder: Ben Shapiro supports and advocates for the literal genocide of Palestinians as a solution to the ongoing Arab-Isreali crisis.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nice four minute ad that no one's ever going to sit through, DonkeyU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Kim Justice posted:

Nice four minute ad that no one's ever going to sit through, DonkeyU

Here's some anecdotal evidence of Youtube fuckery I've just noticed. Videos from large, million plus views/subscribers channels I've watched mostly get 5 second, or occasionally 15 second, non-skippable ads. Videos by small channels (relativly speaking), like yours, get anything from half a minute to full-blown 5 minute ads that you can skip.

Now, if I remember this right, if you skip a short ad, the channel gets no revenue, and you have to watch a certain percentage of a long ad before it's considered a view for revenue purposes. People will almost always skip 30 second ads, so smaller channels get even less money even if their videos are ad friendly.

This is, off course, just a theory based on me watching a crapton of Youtube videos.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's till amazing to me that so much of youtube relies on people not being smart enough to have a good adblocker.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

Here's some anecdotal evidence of Youtube fuckery I've just noticed. Videos from large, million plus views/subscribers channels I've watched mostly get 5 second, or occasionally 15 second, non-skippable ads. Videos by small channels (relativly speaking), like yours, get anything from half a minute to full-blown 5 minute ads that you can skip.

Now, if I remember this right, if you skip a short ad, the channel gets no revenue, and you have to watch a certain percentage of a long ad before it's considered a view for revenue purposes. People will almost always skip 30 second ads, so smaller channels get even less money even if their videos are ad friendly.

This is, off course, just a theory based on me watching a crapton of Youtube videos.

This isn't necessarily fuckery - as a creator you have options to turn unskippable ads on and off. I've always had them off in my time on YT 'cause I tend to think they make it easier for people to leave the vid (which might be wrong, honestly)

YouTube are apparently now offering more options to creators in AdSense to have more control over the ads that play, mind. Alas, I don't see none of that right now because I'm still in an MCN who have the controls, so to speak.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 22, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wish Nightmind wasn't so attached to EMH or the other slenderman webseries, since they've already been discussed to death and are also usually pretty bad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mr.Radar posted:

Speaking of YouTube ad fuckery, apparently YouTube is quietly trying to force popular non-monetized channels (like MIT OpenCourseWare or the Blender Foundation) to enable monetization with the threat of being blocked worldwide if they don't. They're doing it in a very typically YouTube roundabout way where they don't say that's what they're doing, just that in order to resolve the blocking (the reasons behind which they can't explain when asked) monetization needs to be enabled on the channel.
That's a peculiarly conspiratorial way of reading the last update on that post.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's till amazing to me that so much of youtube relies on people not being smart enough to have a good adblocker.

Mobile devices and set-top boxes/consoles/etc.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
youtube red is a very effective adblocker

I mean I just buy google music because it's good but the lack of ads on any device is a cool bonus I guess

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

I wish Nightmind wasn't so attached to EMH or the other slenderman webseries, since they've already been discussed to death and are also usually pretty bad.

It's the price you pay for his enthusiasm for amateur horror series: a really low bar for what's "good."

It was kinda fun watching his marathon livestream video and seeing him get wound up over the silliest things. Dude's so enthusiastic about the story that he doesn't stop to think that the reason behind certain things is most likely "this is done by a bunch of dweebs with no budget" rather than "intentional storytelling choices."

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I do hope there’s going to be an edited video on the new EMH stuff because I don’t know if I want to go through a 6 hour livestream recording for it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wait, other countries have unskippable ads on youtube?

I have literally never seen one of those in Finland.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

Wait, other countries have unskippable ads on youtube?

I have literally never seen one of those in Finland.

Dude get an ad-blocker already.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Dude get an ad-blocker already.

I sometimes watch youtube videos on an ipad

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I do hope there’s going to be an edited video on the new EMH stuff because I don’t know if I want to go through a 6 hour livestream recording for it

I think he said something about editing it down or something. It seems slightly longer than it is just because of dead air, watching entire videos, and reading superchats; I'd guess there's about an hour or two of entirely skippable things. Though that leaves a long digression as dude fucks around on Google Maps because he feels that ascertaining locations' positions is really important to understanding the story.

Nick is like the red string conspiracy theorist, except instead of Pizzagate or 9/11 Truth he's just really, really into horror webseries. :3:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The Tribe Twelve stream is something else bc the start is Nick being ultra endeared about everyone talking on how his voice helped with all sorts of conditions and then the audio becomes a nightmare that has keeping my ears ringing for several minutes. Christ Almighty do not listen to it on head phones. Ear Damaging Spoops.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

georg rockall-schmidt dropped a new video about bad plot twists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csNQ17Npcko

thumbnail is of one of my favorite bad movies so i'm in

I disagree with his assessment of Annihilation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the book is better and does have a bit of a twist.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

ElNarez posted:

When I saw that the new Trainwreckords would be Oasis' "Be Here Now" I was psyched and boy does it deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0FumbR4AU

Yessss.... Oddly enough I've been listening to this album a bit recently, or trying to when it's not blowing out my headphones. Overall I agree with his assessment apart from on a couple of points and I think he skips a couple of songs that I actually think are pretty good.

But that album is such an amazing clusterfuck of noise, even in its 'remastered' state. The original producer said if they just took Noel's original demos, redid the vocals and the drums (Demos used a drum machine) and maybe a couple of overdubs then it would've been more fondly remembered (And thankfully a lot shorter). The making of it, and the background of what was going on with that band at the time, is fascinating.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Solitair posted:

I disagree with his assessment of Annihilation.

Was Annihilation sent through the hollywood sausage machine? I thought it was writer-director all the way minus some recutting before release that did kind of end it on a light (dumb hollywood horror) twist.

Also, vidcon starts today, and it just seems awful. I hope nobody we know has to go and it's just cinema sins locked in a conference room with logan paul and sargon.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I love Vidcon week. Which vlogger/grammer will make a tit out of themselves when they pull a DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM on a security guard? What brunch meetings will be drastically blown out of proportion? Who will start a full-on fist fight at a panel over years held grudges?

It was a truly great week last year and I'm looking forward to more of the same. Hank and John Green: Fueling enmity in the house of flies since 2010

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

business hammocks posted:

Was Annihilation sent through the hollywood sausage machine? I thought it was writer-director all the way minus some recutting before release that did kind of end it on a light (dumb hollywood horror) twist.

Also, vidcon starts today, and it just seems awful. I hope nobody we know has to go and it's just cinema sins locked in a conference room with logan paul and sargon.

I wouldn’t call Annihilation’s ending a twist, just a reminder of what the film’s been telling you all along. Area X is a distorted mirror of the world, taking apart and recombining everything inside it. You cannot enter it without being changed, and you cannot enter without changing it. Lena definitely started out as human, and Kane definitely started out as an artificial construct, but that’s not a remotely relevant distinction any more.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I wouldn’t call Annihilation’s ending a twist, just a reminder of what the film’s been telling you all along. Area X is a distorted mirror of the world, taking apart and recombining everything inside it. You cannot enter it without being changed, and you cannot enter without changing it. Lena definitely started out as human, and Kane definitely started out as an artificial construct, but that’s not a remotely relevant distinction any more.

Also the whole point of the film is "trauma changes you," so it's less a twist and more the whole point of the story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Something about the staging and framing struck me as very typically hollywood twist and unlike the feel of the rest of it. And the tattoo was a more holistic device for that anyway. I’m pretty sure that’s why the frame story is there at all, other than to thumb a nose at people who want poo poo explained to them to feel satisfied.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*slams table* the book's way better!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I feel like this is vaguely on topic: I’m reading Ernest Cline’s second novel in solidarity with a friend who’s going along with Mike Nelson’s podcast. I’m only a hundred pages in, but it’s worse than Ready Player One by far.

It’s got all the faults, but magnified. In this one, obsessive mastery of pop culture trivia doesn’t just make the dull, passive hero rich and famous, but also lets him score with a hot girl instantly.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

business hammocks posted:

I feel like this is vaguely on topic: I’m reading Ernest Cline’s second novel in solidarity with a friend who’s going along with Mike Nelson’s podcast. I’m only a hundred pages in, but it’s worse than Ready Player One by far.

It’s got all the faults, but magnified. In this one, obsessive mastery of pop culture trivia doesn’t just make the dull, passive hero rich and famous, but also lets him score with a hot girl instantly.

People were actually saying at one point that the main character (protagonist implies them actually doing poo poo) of Ready Player One was a deliberate parody of pop culture obsessed losers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

People were actually saying at one point that the main character (protagonist implies them actually doing poo poo) of Ready Player One was a deliberate parody of pop culture obsessed losers.

With a sample size of two serving my analysis, I can say that it’s simply a transparent expression of Ernest Cline’s actual personality and value system. Also, he’s really into punk rock girls with tattoos who aren’t like those other girls, and he wants you to know. He really wants you to know.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Everyone should read, Roadside Picnic, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Everyone should read, Roadside Picnic, btw.

I got recommended this by a friend a few weeks back and yea, I second this.