Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

oh god the last sentence of that 2nd paragraph

im almost in the same state, but with laughter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We're on day four of our voice support guys not getting as far as doing a trace on a call between two users that report the same constantly-present issue. The ticket updates just say "made some changes". Excellent work guys.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Question time.

I have a client who has about 900MB of SOP and JSA documentation and needs a way to distribute this to a bunch of users in the field who use company issued iPads attached to the corporate MDM MaaS360 (PS: gently caress MaaS360). The goal is to limit the amount of mobile data usage to near-zero (for this solution) because these guys are literally out in the wilderness and need access to the documents no matter where they are, which likely means a local (potentially cached) copy of every single document. The devices have enough storage so physically storing them is not a problem, but I'm running into roadblocks trying to find something that will accomplish this for us.

The ideas that have been suggested and why we don't *think* they apply (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on any of them) are:
  • Dropbox - Does not provide a method to locally cache that many documents, we don't think
  • OneDrive - See Dropbox
  • SharePoint - Is loving SharePoint
I don't need the app to be super polished or pretty looking; as long as it does the job reliably, I'm interested. I have a hard time believing we're the first people to have this problem, but all of my googling has turned up nothing but apps that help you create SOPs (we've already got them created; just need to get them to the device), or file sharing apps that have no concept of caching.

Anyone have any ideas or places I should look closer?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Google drive :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Use iBooks?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

iBooks are the way to go here, they integrate with MDM and should cope with 900MB. I'm not sure if they diff when updating but that would be another positive.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

We're on day four of our voice support guys not getting as far as doing a trace on a call between two users that report the same constantly-present issue. The ticket updates just say "made some changes". Excellent work guys.

Oh man, are your guys my co-worker? He just throws poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. (and doesn't document it)

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
Well I've had somewhat of an interesting year.

I got quite ill and spent two months in a psych hospital. So I head back into work to work on a return to work plan.

Unfortunately they had decided to make me redundant. (after 7 years there was a decent payout.)

The strange thing was that that evening I got messaged by an coworker who'd moved on to another company, and I explained what happened.

The next day I get a call to come in and have an interview. Later on in the day I got a call asking me to start the next day.

just happened so quickly with no resumé or cv.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It happens. I've gotten jobs literally overnight because I happened to ask the right relative to proofread a resume for me, who unbeknownst to me had started working at a company employing people in my exact field.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nexxai posted:

Question time.

I have a client who has about 900MB of SOP and JSA documentation and needs a way to distribute this to a bunch of users in the field who use company issued iPads attached to the corporate MDM MaaS360 (PS: gently caress MaaS360). The goal is to limit the amount of mobile data usage to near-zero (for this solution) because these guys are literally out in the wilderness and need access to the documents no matter where they are, which likely means a local (potentially cached) copy of every single document. The devices have enough storage so physically storing them is not a problem, but I'm running into roadblocks trying to find something that will accomplish this for us.

The ideas that have been suggested and why we don't *think* they apply (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on any of them) are:
  • Dropbox - Does not provide a method to locally cache that many documents, we don't think
  • OneDrive - See Dropbox
  • SharePoint - Is loving SharePoint
I don't need the app to be super polished or pretty looking; as long as it does the job reliably, I'm interested. I have a hard time believing we're the first people to have this problem, but all of my googling has turned up nothing but apps that help you create SOPs (we've already got them created; just need to get them to the device), or file sharing apps that have no concept of caching.

Anyone have any ideas or places I should look closer?

You can select individual files to be available offline with Dropbox. Just do that for all the docs. Or did you already look into this and is there a limit you're running into?

e:
Is this not enough?

quote:

Is there a limit on the number or size of folders I can make available offline?

You can make up to 100 folders available offline.

A folder can't be saved for offline use if:

The folder contains more than 10,000 files

The folder contains more than 100 GB

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 15, 2018

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Javid posted:

It happens. I've gotten jobs literally overnight because I happened to ask the right relative to proofread a resume for me, who unbeknownst to me had started working at a company employing people in my exact field.

I’ve got my current job because of a relative and my previous position because of an old roommate. It’s almost always more a matter of who you know versus what you know. Right now I’m trying to get in to know as many people as possible so that when positions open up higher up the chain I stand a chance.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Javid posted:

It happens. I've gotten jobs literally overnight because I happened to ask my daddy for a job in his company, despite my lack of ability, experience and basic social skills.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arquinsiel posted:

That was just the Dublin office, because we have some protections in law. If you were over in the USA though... well.

ETA: I'm pretty sure the banner was one of us peons taking the piss BTW, but it stayed up there for a whole day.

Holy poo poo this is gold

quote:

--a workplace atmosphere driven by constant fear. Fear of racking up too many demerits for lateness or tardiness. Occasional threats to meet arbitrary "quality standards" or else. Constant worry about being outsourced. Even health concerns were an issue. Due to the rigid attendance policy, a few years ago, an employee decided to come to work sick-- this caused a large-scale tuberculosis outbreak.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

cvisors posted:

I got quite ill and spent two months in a psych hospital. So I head back into work to work on a return to work plan.

Unfortunately they had decided to make me redundant. (after 7 years there was a decent payout.)

The strange thing was that that evening I got messaged by an coworker who'd moved on to another company, and I explained what happened.

The next day I get a call to come in and have an interview. Later on in the day I got a call asking me to start the next day.

Applicable CV bolded above.

My own *BAM* job outta nowhere story is that the one I currently hold had been split between two people when I'd originally been employed here, but when there was a budget-related reduction-in-force, it got trimmed down to one and I wasn't the one. :smith:

Cue being called to see if I was available to cover part-time temp... on the same day I was offered full time permanent at the replacement job. :v:

It gets better... two jobs later, I'm looking (had just quit a phone-monkey position, mainly due to stress) and hey, my old job appears be be open again? Might just apply for shits and giggles. And when I show up, HR is all "You're coming back? :woop:" They tour me around to see how the campus has changed, and everyone that knew me from the previous stint was "gently caress yeah it's Ygolonac! :woop:"

It seems that the winner of the RiF Thunderdome wasn't really up to doing *all* the job, and spent most of the six months before taking retirement on sick leave. Followed by a series of temps who either sucked, hated the job, or both, and not a single one lasted past six months. Repeat for four or five years. :smithicide:

It was pretty much a lock, between the previous job experience, performance and popularity, buuuuut, since it had been an open position for three days, they still had to go through the other apllicants.

About 400 of 'em.

Same day they picked Ygolochu and I filled out the paperwork, I got a letter from the original replacement job. Offering temp part-time on-call... :v:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/dmofengineering/status/1007753229302550528

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MANime in the sheets posted:

:10bux: says her touchpad is on and something is interacting with it.

Also she is batshit crazy

I've seen that happen on our Elitebooks. The trackpad connects through the smart card reader to the logic board. The smart card reader will often fail, seriously often, they've revised that part twice. Usually it just dies and the trackpad stops working altogether. But sometimes it will indeed cause ghost pointer syndrome.

That poor lady needs more than just IT help though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also the base executive class has a +1 to this skill.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

So. Cisco or HP for 50 access points across 3 sites connected via a private MPLS line and also DMVPN over internet tunnels? Cost isn't an issue.

If I had a choice, I wouldn’t do HP/Aruba. Their management software has a terrible UI.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

So. Cisco or HP for 50 access points across 3 sites connected via a private MPLS line and also DMVPN over internet tunnels? Cost isn't an issue.

We moved to Aruba as more cost effective after years of poo poo hardware failure problems with Cisco and weird compatibility. The management software is better than NCS/Prime, and Airgroup seems to work as advertised - really no complaints about it as a person who supports it to some extent , not as the engineer who built it just as disclosure.

Their hospitality AP has been very good for filling in coverage or density and retrofits over an existing single gang bracket.

E: qualifying the interface as airwave and maybe glass not the direct controller UI

Partycat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 16, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Partycat posted:

We moved to Aruba as more cost effective after years of poo poo hardware failure problems with Cisco and weird compatibility. The management software is better than NCS/Prime, and Airgroup seems to work as advertised - really no complaints about it as a person who supports it to some extent , not as the engineer who built it just as disclosure.

Their hospitality AP has been very good for filling in coverage or density and retrofits over an existing single gang bracket.

E: qualifying the interface as airwave and maybe glass not the direct controller UI

I generally have to deal with the controller UI.

It is very likely our problem is due to it being setup by a previous employee and he was a lunatic knowledge hoarder.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
A ticket came in (at midnight):

"Database full in Exchange server"
User called in reporting that he hasn’t gotten email since 1:00pm today. We investigated inside the exchange server and found an error on one of the exchange databases (arcmboxdb4) “431-4.3.1 STOREDRV, mailbox disk is full”. This database is stored on server: <SERVER> within the H drive. The H disk on this server is almost full.

Who needs to be contacted for follow-up and what is their expectation regarding contact: <USER NAME>, only email, user is not available for the rest of the night

:negative:

mitra
Sep 27, 2012

between subtle shading, and the absence of light, lies the nuance of iqlusion

cvisors posted:

Congrats!! :toot:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

User called in reporting that he hasn’t gotten email since 1:00pm today. We investigated inside the exchange server and found an error on one of the exchange databases (arcmboxdb4) “431-4.3.1 STOREDRV, mailbox disk is full”. This database is stored on server: <SERVER> within the H drive. The H disk on this server is almost full.

Who needs to be contacted for follow-up and what is their expectation regarding contact: <USER NAME>, only email, user is not available for the rest of the night

I might be a bad technician because this falls squarely into my "outside of scope" pile as I click Send on an update email I know the user won't receive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you fix their email it's not a problem anymore is it? :q:

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

I might be a bad technician because this falls squarely into my "outside of scope" pile as I click Send on an update email I know the user won't receive.

I mean, you probably could, but it's more satisfying to forward that up to his boss with my formatting and 'wtf' at the end of it.

Gotta weed these dense techs out early, after they hit 90 days you can't get rid of them

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Scammers are getting good. Forged an email to our purchasing agent from our CEO:

Subject: Re: Request

I intend $100 each for 9 staff and I need you to purchase the Apple iTunes gift cards from the store.

Of course she replied, "whatcha need?"

I intend $100 each for 9 staff and I need you to purchase the Apple iTunes gift cards from the store.

Purchasing agent replies, "Okay, who gets them?"

Like i stated earlier,This is meant to be a surprise and i would rather not share the list of staff in case you are on the list.

I am quite busy right now but Kindly let me know once you have the cards.

Then she finally caught on. lol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you don't have a way to prevent emails coming in from outside with your domain forged in them then :shrug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This is how the headmaster of the school started his email to the staff announcing one of my colleagues’ new job title, Leader of Learning Initiatives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

If you don't have a way to prevent emails coming in from outside with your domain forged in them then :shrug:

Forged meaning the name is right, the email address isn't

From 'Thanks Ants' (ThanksAnts@Yahoo.com)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh right, lol.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Scammers are getting good. Forged an email to our purchasing agent from our CEO:

Of course she replied, "whatcha need?"

Purchasing agent replies, "Okay, who gets them?"

Like i stated earlier,This is meant to be a surprise and i would rather not share the list of staff in case you are on the list.

I am quite busy right now but Kindly let me know once you have the cards.

Then she finally caught on. lol

You need to use this incident to finally get off of rackspace and onto O365 where you can control SPF/DKIM/DMARC and transport rules.

Scams like this are super easy to mitigate with those tools.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast can sync with your AD and flag stuff with the "from" name set to people in your directory

https://www.mimecast.com/content/ceo-fraud

But maybe it's time to just flag every external email with a massive "this was sent from outside the company" banner.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Fool posted:

You need to use this incident to finally get off of rackspace and onto O365 where you can control SPF/DKIM/DMARC and transport rules.

Scams like this are super easy to mitigate with those tools.

Speaking of...I got sort of yelled at for wanting to move to O365 by her today

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yelled at? Nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yelled at? Nice.

Well, sarcastically asked if I seriously thought it was a good idea to do that (upgrade to O365). It all started because sales uses some poo poo Outlook plugin that doesn't work with the latest version of Outlook, and the new employee started and couldn't use it so we had to downgrade the gently caress out of her.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I 100% absolutely believe this is a good answer. The facts are clear, etc etc etc.

What a dickish email to be sending you.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh right, loli.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

But maybe it's time to just flag every external email with a massive "this was sent from outside the company" banner.
Our security team just implemented it and it drives me nuts because now you can’t see anything worthwhile in the message preview when you get a new Outlook notification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It should just be something that Exchange does to be honest, and Outlook / OWA can set a flag as required. Gmail does this already, it's good.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2018/03/gmail-advanced-phishing-protections.html