Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I know I'm late to this, but as an artist I have to chime in, society on the whole treats the artist as less than a second class citizen. I can't tell you how many times people have walked up while I was drawing and *told* me, not even asked: "draw me a ____!" It's inherent in our culture, the cliche of the starving artist exists because it's true.

And because of those stereotypes, nobody values artists. People in this thread are straight up saying that art is not as valuable as whatever else they have deemed more valuable. Nobody has any qualms about stealing from a source and scrubbing their name off (I've seen work I produced for threads on this very site plagiarized on other sites). Facebook and the like have helped make it commonplace not only for people not to get paid for their work, but to not even get credit.

And then as an artist, for many, there is a desire to be validated, so that leads people to vulnerability, to accept these demands for work because they want that praise, the culture doesn't tell them their work should be paid for, it tells them they have to be banksy or dead for their work to be valued as it should. As said before, it's exploitative as gently caress.

I suppose you could argue most jobs are like that, but most things being bad isn't a solid reason to argue in their favor. "It's going to cost the corporation more" doesn't mean it sets a good precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

caldrax posted:

I know I'm late to this, but as an artist I have to chime in, society on the whole treats the artist as less than a second class citizen. I can't tell you how many times people have walked up while I was drawing and *told* me, not even asked: "draw me a ____!" It's inherent in our culture, the cliche of the starving artist exists because it's true.

And because of those stereotypes, nobody values artists. People in this thread are straight up saying that art is not as valuable as whatever else they have deemed more valuable. Nobody has any qualms about stealing from a source and scrubbing their name off (I've seen work I produced for threads on this very site plagiarized on other sites). Facebook and the like have helped make it commonplace not only for people not to get paid for their work, but to not even get credit.

And then as an artist, for many, there is a desire to be validated, so that leads people to vulnerability, to accept these demands for work because they want that praise, the culture doesn't tell them their work should be paid for, it tells them they have to be banksy or dead for their work to be valued as it should. As said before, it's exploitative as gently caress.

I suppose you could argue most jobs are like that, but most things being bad isn't a solid reason to argue in their favor. "It's going to cost the corporation more" doesn't mean it sets a good precedent.

As an artist I've kind of accepted that my art and my personal philosophy of its value doesn't mix with commerce at all, and I've come to the conclusion that something given has more value than something sold in that realm. It's one of the reasons why I won't sell existing work but will occasionally commission work or just exchange for a favor or a kind word.

I'm sure many will disagree, but I've kind of settled on the fact that an art work's primary value is as a social provocation outside of commodity. This doesn't change the day to day with much of what you're saying, the exploitation, the lack of respect, etc...but my original purpose for creating it sort of existed independently of those facets anyways. I dunno, there's no easy answer. Labor is hosed, commodification rules all, and in general people don't seem interested in respecting self expression unless it's monetized.

There is no answer.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

There is no answer.

I don't know if it's "the answer" so to speak, but I think it's important to continually drive home to those who would not think to pay people for their work: "you should pay people for their work." Maybe with enough repetition people will start to get it.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Borderlands and Saint Rows pretty much finished their spiritual travel.

What we have seen of Crackdown reminds me of these two games.

Is going to be a hard sell to have people buy what seems saint rows with a different dude bro.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

Tei posted:

Is going to be a hard sell to have people buy what seems saint rows with a different dude bro.

Crackdown looks bad but it’s not like there are any other exclusives to buy instead

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Crackdown looks bad but it’s not like there are any other exclusives to buy instead

This post makes it sound like people have to buy at least one exclusive if one is available.

If the exclusive is bad, don't buy it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tei posted:

There was even a Saints Row Crackdown called Agents of Mayhem that was terrible but reportedly plays better than the E3 Crackdown demo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mango sentinel posted:

There was even a Saints Row Crackdown called Agents of Mayhem that was terrible but reportedly plays better than the E3 Crackdown demo

I wouldn't call it terrible, it plays well enough, the problem is that in five-ten minutes of playing you've seen literally every aspect of gameplay on offer for it.

I'd call it tepid. Very, very tepid. Though I did like Braddock's special; where she lights a cigar off her rifle, screams "SEMPER-FI, MOTHERFUCKAAAAS!" and tosses it at a group of enemies to act as a targeting beacon for an orbital laser :patriot:.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It had its moments but yes it was mostly just dull. The humor was a massive step down from the SR games too

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Late February isn't quite a dumping ground since they're pushing out the post holiday tail more and a lot of Feb/March releases are trying to capitalize on people going "what's next?" and picking up stuff like Nier and Horizon. That's probably as late as they were willing to push Anthem without bumping it to next FY and it's probably a good spot for Metro: Exodus. Days Gone and Crackdown and getting left to die though. Especially Days Gone considering it didn't even make the stage show.

This is good since late winter always loving sucks in terms of releases. This year was sort of an exception with Monster Hunter, but even then that was only 1 game.

Fall/Christmas is always jam packed with so much poo poo which is kinda funny as you have a lot of titles in different genres that normally wouldn't be competing with each other competing with each other over the limited christmas money splerge pool.
Someone finally recognized that all of the giftcard and money people receive at christmas doesn't directly go to purchasing titles that were released 2+ months ago but rather towards poo poo that will be coming out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mango sentinel posted:

how bad is it? i haven't been following crackdown. agents of mayhem had some ok moments but is was kind meh at best.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how bad is it? i haven't been following crackdown. agents of mayhem had some ok moments but is was kind meh at best.

Mechanically breezy but incredibly shallow and painfully, painfully unfunny tryhard poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Mechanically breezy but incredibly shallow and painfully, painfully unfunny tryhard poo poo.

that sucks. the others were basicaly robocop lite.

do you mean agents of mayham or crackdown 3?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I wouldn't even compare Agents of Mayhem to Crackdown. You don't have crazy superhuman powers in AoM, you have a triple jump and an airdash but it's nothing compared to being able to jump over a skyscraper in a single leap or launching a guy flying into the air with a single punch.

SR4 is closer to Crackdown in this instance, and AoM is a heavily watered down SR4 with slightly more variety in the powers.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that sucks. the others were basicaly robocop lite.

do you mean agents of mayham or crackdown 3?

Oh, thought you were asking about Agents of Mayhem because I have poor reading comprehension. I wasn't at E3. Per journos Crackdown 3 feels a little sloppy control wise and is kind of boring in the show build.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

mango sentinel posted:

Late February isn't quite a dumping ground since they're pushing out the post holiday tail more and a lot of Feb/March releases are trying to capitalize on people going "what's next?" and picking up stuff like Nier and Horizon. That's probably as late as they were willing to push Anthem without bumping it to next FY and it's probably a good spot for Metro: Exodus. Days Gone and Crackdown and getting left to die though. Especially Days Gone considering it didn't even make the stage show.

February is after the fiscal year of many retail stores (January 31 for Target, Gamestop, etc.) but before the start of a new fiscal quarter for publishers. Releasing after January 31 means that retailers have finished balancing inventory for last year and are prepared to accept large shipments of new games. Otherwise, you would have to negotiate a small initial order and then follow up with a larger order.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Oh, thought you were asking about Agents of Mayhem because I have poor reading comprehension. I wasn't at E3. Per journos Crackdown 3 feels a little sloppy control wise and is kind of boring in the show build.

its cool, my writing is lovely anyway. you are right about AOM.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Did the Prototype games bomb or something? It seems odd that out of all these GTA-alikes that keep getting new entries that Prototype seems to be gone forever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vakal posted:

Did the Prototype games bomb or something? It seems odd that out of all these GTA-alikes that keep getting new entries that Prototype seems to be gone forever.

Its activision, so to make more theyd actually have to make more than 2 games a year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vakal posted:

Radical Entertainment took a big hit over Prototype 2 and has now been consigned to contract work purgatory. There was a Prototype HD remaster recently but IIRC it wasn't very well-received.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sunning posted:

February is after the fiscal year of many retail stores (January 31 for Target, Gamestop, etc.) but before the start of a new fiscal quarter for publishers. Releasing after January 31 means that retailers have finished balancing inventory for last year and are prepared to accept large shipments of new games. Otherwise, you would have to negotiate a small initial order and then follow up with a larger order.

Interesting to know!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I am so happy to find out the musician from the Sony show is named Cornelius Boots. That is such a good name. Get the gently caress out of here RaviDrums you've been usurped.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
More like Cornelius Toots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vakal posted:

The developer of Prototype got shuttered shortly after releasing 2.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-HlbL3_lFk

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My E3 winner is that like twice a day I remember that there is a man out there named Cornelius Boots and just smile to myself. Thank you Sony. God drat what a name.

https://twitter.com/CorneliusBoots/status/1001606387649187841

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I miss E3 :(

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Only 358 days to go!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

My E3 winner is that like twice a day I remember that there is a man out there named Cornelius Boots and just smile to myself. Thank you Sony. God drat what a name.

https://twitter.com/CorneliusBoots/status/1001606387649187841

https://youtu.be/glqpGxqS4Mc

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I got that post e3 gamer melancholy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Only 358 days to go!

Become a Kingdom Hearts fan, then it's only half that many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't worry, there will be more post-apocalyptic shooters next year!

• Locked thread