Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I've used x200s and SL500s with good results but YMMV, some models have absolute junk for acpi/BIOS like nbsd said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you just set the acpi osi to the same as it is on windows, done deal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

you just set the acpi osi to the same as it is on windows, done deal

this is the default on linux

a lot of pc firmware is so broken that even the windows settings are gobbledygook

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

hobbesmaster posted:

Apple is the only company that put effort into laptop energy usage

nah microsoft has done a lot of battery life work on their first party hardware

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Fiedler posted:

nah microsoft has done a lot of battery life work on their first party hardware

too bad about literally everything else

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if no one uses the first party Microsoft laptop, does it have a good battery life?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Microsoft makes laptops?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Microsoft makes laptops?

yes, microsoft slav pro with carpet hull

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

OldAlias posted:

too bad about literally everything else

the surface pro also has a really nice low profile magnetic power connector. better than magsafe imo, and vastly better than usb c or lightning

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i just learned that you can have user level daemons with systemd by putting the unit file in ~/.config/systemd/user and then doing systemctl --user enable unit.service. this will make the daemon active as long as there's an instance of that user logged in

systemd is good

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Condiv posted:

i just learned that you can have user level daemons with systemd by putting the unit file in ~/.config/systemd/user and then doing systemctl --user enable unit.service. this will make the daemon active as long as there's an instance of that user logged in

systemd is good

cool

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Microsoft makes laptops?

they're really really bad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Last Chance posted:

not all of them

some are overpriced and mediocre

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

their laptops have carpet on them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pizza Hut?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:cry:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i just found one of my servers wide open on shodan.io, my boss did the initial firewall config but this is still embarrassing as hell

edit wrong thread

Perplx fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 17, 2018

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

these loss edits are getting pretty abstract

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

didn’t they ship a lot of them and let all the users discover the terrible bsod issues?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perplx posted:

i just found one of my servers wide open on shodan.io, my boss did the initial firewall config but this is still embarrassing as hell

edit wrong thread

2018 is the year of your data on the darknet

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Condiv posted:

systemd is good

I found that out last year but RedHat decided to pull that feature from RHEL 7 because they're awesome. Finding a replacement for that functionality sucks especially as the one I ended up with PM2 is based upon Node.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the default on linux

a lot of pc firmware is so broken that even the windows settings are gobbledygook

reverse engineering the board fuckups that are being covered over in firmware must be fun

pram
Jun 10, 2001

:grin:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Condiv posted:

systemd is good

why is this surprising? launchd has had this forever, systemd is just a knockoff of launchd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

why is this surprising? launchd has had this forever, systemd is just a knockoff of launchd

yes but nobody gives a gently caress about launchd, because it only runs on a crippled proprietary unix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
see also: smf

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

I found that out last year but RedHat decided to pull that feature from RHEL 7 because they're awesome. Finding a replacement for that functionality sucks especially as the one I ended up with PM2 is based upon Node.

RHEL7 was released before that feature was added.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's entire bug tracker entry about it somewhere as to why they pulled the feature. :lol: they closed the case from public view,

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1019738

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 18, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
cross quoting:

givepatajob posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Savaged-Syst...aged+by+systemd

"Not your normal Friday night in the computer room.

Not a normal night anywhere.

Terry is the archetypal old-school Unix admin, nurturing servers with care and precision while avoiding the latest trendy garbage. KDE and Gnome on a server? Nope, if you need a GUI use FVWM.

The latest trend Terry refuses? One adopted almost everywhere? Systemd, the replacement init.

So Systemd comes for Terry.

Wearing skin-tight leather pants.

No, not a normal night in the computer room at all…"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

oh boy nerd humor

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

🤮

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

oh boy nerd humor

text me

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

something something desktop thread

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, I would have rather seen goatse.cx than the above image

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
re: microsoft laptops, I'd really like a surface pro since it's basically a better pixelbook, but the OS I use at work doesn't run very well on it yet, so I'm stuck with my current chomebook for the time being :rip:

also re: that, 16:9 is really loving terrible on laptops and I'm never going back to that bullshit ever again

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Truga posted:

also re: that, 16:9 is really loving terrible on laptops and I'm never going back to that bullshit ever again

is it even possible to get 16:10 laptops that are not macs book any more?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, but both google and mirkosoft are making 3:2 laptops now, and holy poo poo does it help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
After letting Fedora update whatever it wanted to, GRUB wouldn't load at all.

Booted a live USB thing and it looked like everything was there that should be.

Then I got the idea to turn the secure boot setting on my xxxxxxtreme gamer motherboard from "Windows-UEFI" to "Other-OS" and it works again.

This has been today's GNU/Linux experience.