Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There've been trip reports of Kenji's shoulder SV > Smoke where the smoke step really did overcook it though. I think you'll need to check how your connective tissue is post bath and judge from there. An ice bath pre smoke changes things as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can probably get my smoker to hold 180F, which should minimize the overlook I hope.

Thanks, all — very helpful!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Subjunctive posted:

There was a thing earlier in the thread where the SV Everything folks testes different treatments of frozen food, and cook-to-temp-from-frozen came out worst.

Sous vide oysters, eh?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dewgy posted:

Sous vide oysters, eh?

Hmm.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
We are having a Fourth of Korea party next week and we'll be making Korean-style galbi on the grill, using Maangchi's marinade recipe. I've been thinking about puddling the short ribs for a few hours to make them more tender rather than chewy, and I have a few questions...

Since the ribs will be cut laterally, there's a higher risk of them just falling apart when I go to take them out of the bag. Should I use temp/time guidelines for regular short ribs, or go for a lower temp or time? And, should I puddle them with the marinade, or maybe puddle the day before sans marinade, then marinade in the fridge overnight?

Or...is puddling overkill? I've never made or even tasted proper galbi so maybe the chewiness of short ribs is desirable in this recipe.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Someone earlier asked about patting dry and I also want to know. I just use a bunch of paper towels typically but it never feels as bone dry as I'd like. Is there a secret or better way to do it?

Also what oil does everyone use for pan searing. I was thinking about trying out avocado oil since it has such a high smoke point I can get it ripping hot.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I use refined safflower oil.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Canola works for me. With a last second addition of of butter to enhance crust building for steaks.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

significant moment in my life: I've been cooking sous vide for about 6 months now, and have really focused on perfecting steak (which, admittedly is very easy). last night went out to a very nice restaurant with family, and my wife ordered the steak ($37). after trying it she commented "your steak is a lot better than this", and everyone else at the table tasted and agreed. success.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Awesome, congrats!

I’ve had to stop ordering steak at restaurants. Salmon may be next.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea I think I'm done ordering steak. I'm also close to being done with short rib.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I’m there, too. These days, I’d rather spend 30+ dollars on a raw steak rather than 30+ dollars on a 10 dollar steak with restaurant markup.

SV has changed the game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Subjunctive posted:

Awesome, congrats!

I’ve had to stop ordering steak at restaurants. Salmon may be next.

Can you tell me your bog standard procedure, from cut selection, to cook time/temp, to sear and anything in between. My steaks are good but are never restaurant good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ribeye, well-marbled, minimum 1.5” thick. Bone off. (If it comes with a bone, save it for baller stock.) Kosher salt like you’d salt it at the table, but both sides. 131.5F for 75 mins, add 30 mins if it’s more like 2-2.5”.

Pat it loving dry. No, pat it more. Get the sides.

Cast iron pan heated to the temperature of the sun. Electric range? Start earlier, but get it loving hot. I have a searzall and a heat gun and a grill that can get to 750F; cast iron please.

High-temp oil in, not that it matters because it’s going to smoke anyway. Immediately before the steak goes in you drop a pat (tbsp) of butter and then smother it with the steak. Sear it good, and when you flip it drop another pat of butter. If you don’t have a Nest or something then the smoke detector is singing your theme song. When that side is good, do the edges. SV steak looks flabby and your guests deserve better.

Small pat of herb butter or garlic butter or blue cheese butter or bearnaise and get that poo poo on the table.

Or carve it and serve it all pretty, but you’ll lose juices that you want you partner to see so that you get laid that much more vigorously.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 24, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I think I'm gonna try the charcoal chimney next time I make steaks. Seems like a nice alternative to smoking up the house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Everything about that is controversial, I bet.

Bum the Sad posted:

I think I'm gonna try the charcoal chimney next time I make steaks. Seems like a nice alternative to smoking up the house.

Yeah, chimneys are probably pretty good for this. I don’t need one for my grill/smoker so I haven’t tried.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Everything about that is controversial, I bet.

Yeah, chimneys are probably pretty good for this. I don’t need one for my grill/smoker so I haven’t tried.

Adam Savage and Kenji did some video on searing using like a grill, a searzall, a chimney, and an aluminum smelting forge. They were happiest with the Chimney, they failed to include a cast iron as a comparison though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cast iron brought nearly to the point of softening atop a chimney seems like it could work well. I just love the thermal mass of cast iron, what can I say?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

Cast iron brought nearly to the point of softening atop a chimney seems like it could work well. I just love the thermal mass of cast iron, what can I say?

I was actually thinking about that as I posted. Again, benefit of not smoking up the house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bum the Sad posted:

I was actually thinking about that as I posted. Again, benefit of not smoking up the house.

You’d have to move the pan around or end up with hot spots, but yeah. Maybe a pizza steel on a 700F grill too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
At a certain temperature can't you gently caress up the seasoning on your cast iron though? Or is that temperature way too high to be of concern?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

You’d have to move the pan around or end up with hot spots, but yeah. Maybe a pizza steel on a 700F grill too.
I dunno charcoal chimneys are actually pretty girthy, the area of direct flame should cover a steak easily.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The seasoning on a cast iron pan is a polymer, and AIUI should be fine well past 900F.

Bum the Sad posted:

I dunno charcoal chimneys are actually pretty girthy, the area of direct flame should cover a steak easily.

Are you calling my cast iron little?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

The seasoning on a cast iron pan is a polymer, and AIUI should be fine well past 1200F.

Are you calling my cast iron little?

Yes. Bitch,

Anyway here's a dude with mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=017gxRjjrQE

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 24, 2018

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

This summer I'm going to try putting my cast iron skillet on a tabletop induction hob, which will be on a table on my crappy deck. I'm not sure it will get as hot as I'd like, but it will keep the smoke out of the house. I hope.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, gonna try cast iron and pizza steel on the hot grill this week, probably using the tenderloin from the freezer.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

charcoal chimney is definitely the best way, but its only probably 10% 'better' than a ripping hot carbon steel pan with ghee.

my normal procedure is debag the steak, pat it SUPER dry, check the temperature on my pan, when it hits 550 - 600 throw in the ghee , start the steak fatcap down for 20 or so seconds, then hit each side for 30 - 45 seconds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ghee is seriously good, yeah.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't know why ghee isn't more popular for searing. "You need to combine a neutral oil for high heat and then add butter for flavor!!" ...or just do ghee.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I also think people obsesses over edge edge medium rare far too much.. ive never tasted a difference between true edge to edge vs a slight grey area

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The taste isn’t very different, but the texture can be.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know why ghee isn't more popular for searing. "You need to combine a neutral oil for high heat and then add butter for flavor!!" ...or just do ghee.

i think people think of it as exotic or expensive rather than something that is just a pound of butter + 30 minutes of your time once a month or so

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Homemade ghee: lactose free? My girlfriend is intolerant but it just feels wrong to drizzle vegetable oil underneath chicken skin.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Lawnie posted:

Homemade ghee: lactose free? My girlfriend is intolerant but it just feels wrong to drizzle vegetable oil underneath chicken skin.

Allegedly low lactose, but I’m still sensitive enough to need to avoid ghee.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

ekeog posted:

i think people think of it as exotic or expensive rather than something that is just a pound of butter + 30 minutes of your time once a month or so

I've never managed to not gently caress up making ghee. I am a failure.

Subjunctive posted:

Ribeye, well-marbled, minimum 1.5” thick. Bone off. (If it comes with a bone, save it for baller stock.) Kosher salt like you’d salt it at the table, but both sides. 131.5F for 75 mins, add 30 mins if it’s more like 2-2.5”.

Pat it loving dry. No, pat it more. Get the sides.

Cast iron pan heated to the temperature of the sun. Electric range? Start earlier, but get it loving hot. I have a searzall and a heat gun and a grill that can get to 750F; cast iron please.

High-temp oil in, not that it matters because it’s going to smoke anyway. Immediately before the steak goes in you drop a pat (tbsp) of butter and then smother it with the steak. Sear it good, and when you flip it drop another pat of butter. If you don’t have a Nest or something then the smoke detector is singing your theme song. When that side is good, do the edges. SV steak looks flabby and your guests deserve better.

Small pat of herb butter or garlic butter or blue cheese butter or bearnaise and get that poo poo on the table.

Or carve it and serve it all pretty, but you’ll lose juices that you want you partner to see so that you get laid that much more vigorously.

Thank you my dude, I will be trying to follow this soon. You continue to be a consummate gentleman.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I also think people obsesses over edge edge medium rare far too much.. ive never tasted a difference between true edge to edge vs a slight grey area

Agree. If might even fool you into thinking the crust is thicker. I live in a small apartment, and I recently cleaned out the ventilator fan, so I really want to avoid lots of smoke. I use normal cooking temps and butter which I let go brown before I pop the steak in. Letting the steak cool down a bit between puddle and pan helps to keep the overcooked area to a minimum.

Patting it completely dry is indeed very important. It won't sear until all the water has evaporated, but it will be cooking during that time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I think it’s a texture thing more than a taste thing. It’s more resistance at the very start of the bite. I won’t send back a steak with 1/4” of grey or anything, but I do think it makes a difference.

Ola posted:

Patting it completely dry is indeed very important. It won't sear until all the water has evaporated, but it will be cooking during that time.

A friend of mine lets the steaks air dry on a cooling rack after a thorough pat down, while the pan is heating. I think he then pats them again right before they go in, but really let’s be reasonable here.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Ghee is not, clarified is.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

ekeog posted:

That's a ton of ghee to go through. I have Indian grocery stores not far from me, so I just buy a jar, and it'll last me a year or more. It probably is cheaper to make your own, especially if you do something with the whey, but it's not that pricey either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I won’t send back a steak with 1/4” of grey or anything, but I do think it makes a difference.

I can't tell whether you are joking or not. 1/4" (6mm) is far too much. The most grey a sous vide steaks should have is 1-2 mm and 2 is being generous. Otherwise there is a flaw in the technique somewhere.