Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is there any hope of Starlink Battle for Atlas being good or is it just trying to dump lovely plastic into the hands of (man)children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Zelder posted:

Stop making me horny in the switch thread

Fixed that for you.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Razzled posted:

Is there any hope of Starlink Battle for Atlas being good or is it just trying to dump lovely plastic into the hands of (man)children

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft made a better Starfox game than Nintendo.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Fremry posted:

Fixed that for you.

Hmm

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Razzled posted:

Slightly better then an even toss i think. Looks promising, but the mtx could drag it down

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I thought the plastic space ships were completely optional??

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

In the sense that you can buy the in-game spaceship parts without the irl plastic bits, yes.

They've said that the game should be beatable with the starter kit, fwiw, buuuuut. Still kinda sketchy

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

You can buy that stuff digitally too, and supposedly its cheaper that way. Still a lot of potential to be lovely, but i dont want to naysay this early because it looks cool at least

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
So one would have to pay for the game and also spend money on things either in game or out of game in order to complete the game? If that's the case, that is horrible.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thom P. Tiers posted:

So one would have to pay for the game and also spend money on things either in game or out of game in order to complete the game? If that's the case, that is horrible.

No, no Toys to Life thing does that. Skylanders, Amiibo, Disney, they all allow you to beat the game with just what came with the game. The issue is how much content will be locked behind buy more toys. Like, presumably you'll have to buy the other pilots to play as them. But will they come with extra missions? Or let you access otherwise inaccessible parts of the levels? We don't know yet

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Kinda overwatchy, but i dont think there are lootboxes at least.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm going to play starlink as if it's a new star fox game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zelder posted:

At least don't be horny for 17 year olds

He's over 100.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I’m thirsty for octopath traveller

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Razzled posted:

IDK man it looks pretty good.

My big concern so far is that everything is fought more hover / all range mode style than traditional star fox barrel levels, that may get old? But maybe they'll have ways of creating linear levels too somehow.

The toys look actually neat but will probably cost more than dlc would have.

Sunning posted:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Ubisoft made a better Starfox game than Nintendo.

Its painful to admit, but true.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Thats the exact opposite of what they said.

But that said, could be lying or could change their minds. At the very least dlc guns will probably make things easier.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK man it looks pretty good.

My big concern so far is that everything is fought more hover / all range mode style than traditional star fox barrel levels, that may get old? But maybe they'll have ways of creating linear levels too somehow.

The toys look actually neat but will probably cost more than dlc would have.

It's not even just that it's expensive physical dlc, unless you spend more on more parts/ships than all you have is what's in the starter pack, and if you die during a mission you can't just switch to a different ship and continue unless you have another one which you bought. It's very much a full-on skylanders style thing where everything is gated behind the figures/dlc.

edit: If I were a kid I'd be completely losing my mind about this game lol

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 18, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is Skate 4, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFED_LpUR8

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Star Fox Zero was good.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Skatoon

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sunning posted:

I think that if SF:Zero's production was delayed by like another year, it would have escaped that era of non-nonsensical rear end-backwards "Give motion controls a chance guys" games and just been a normal Switch era game. It would've been something for the fans, and not an exercise in justifying the gamepad or whatever the gently caress that was

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
how long does hollow knight take to get really good

when can I know if it probably just isn't my thing

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It's crazy I was just about to make a post about how good hollow knight is, lol.

Give it till you get the wall jump ability, that's when my appreciation for the game kicked into overdrive

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don’t like aggressively anime games but I also don’t like aggressively western games, I’ve never had any interest for the war sim shootmans or their ilk. CoD III is literally free to download right now for PS Plus subscribers but even that won’t make me play CoD.

OTOH I really like Far Cry and Watch Dogs despite every new game being very similar to the previous one and will actively seek out and play walking sims.

So really the answer is all games are bad and everyone prefers different types of bad games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Razzled posted:

the previews I've watched make it look like the Star Fox we should have gotten so I'm optimistic it will be Good

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stefan Prodan posted:

how long does hollow knight take to get really good

when can I know if it probably just isn't my thing

If you've played a few hours and it's not clicking it's probably safe to say it's not your thing.

8 bit nostagia may cloud judgements a little but the game was clearly made with a lot of love.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If you've played a few hours and it's not clicking it's probably safe to say it's not your thing.

8 bit nostagia may cloud judgements a little but the game was clearly made with a lot of love.

I loved Shovel Knight right away so I dunno

I only played like an hour of Hollow Knight but it just seemed like kinda whatever during that time

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Early game Hollow Knight is very different from late game Hollow Knight. It might not be for you anyway, but it does get better as you get new upgrades and movement abilities.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m not enjoying Hollow Knight either. I don’t like the art style at all.:(

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Imagine it like Metroid. You only have a couple of moves so it feels sluggish and weak. As you progress you get more mobile and more powerful. So basically you start to like it more and more as you progress.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did you get past the first area?
The game has a lot to offer and the visuals change a lot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spellman posted:

I think that if SF:Zero's production was delayed by like another year, it would have escaped that era of non-nonsensical rear end-backwards "Give motion controls a chance guys" games and just been a normal Switch era game. It would've been something for the fans, and not an exercise in justifying the gamepad or whatever the gently caress that was

do you mean the normal arwing controls or the dumb hovercraft stuff because i only agree with you on the latter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

my partner isn't into metroidvanias at all so i didn't think she was paying attention but she audibly squee'd when she saw the singing miner bug at the beginning lol. somebody described the game's aesthetic as both super cute and super gloomy and i dig it a lot

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Looper posted:

do you mean the normal arwing controls or the dumb hovercraft stuff because i only agree with you on the latter

Everything controls-based was ridiculous, they couldn't even map a button intuitively

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
star fox assault and zero weren't bad

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm beginning to think people have misrepresented the difficulty of hollow knight, considering I just took out the mantis lords on the first attempt. The game is challenging but pretty generous about giving you time to react and figure out patterns. Plus you can heal!

Hollow knight is good y'all

Edited out the name of a boss, in case you're wondering what's behind the text

Zelder fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 19, 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Challenging but fair

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm in the middle on Hollow Knight. I enjoy it and think it's good, but I'm certainly not at the point where I'd gush about how great it is, and I'm not entirely sure I will stay motivated enough to finish it. It may just be that I have so little time to play. I can play like 2 hours per day max, split into smaller segments while my kid naps or sleeps. I get pretty annoyed when I spend most of a session backtracking or getting lost for too long.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Imo challenging and difficult are opposing concepts. Challenging games are hard but want you to succeed and overcome their challenges. Difficult games very much do not. Hollow Knight is the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Spellman posted:

Challenging but fair

homeless snail posted:

Imo challenging and difficult are opposing concepts. Challenging games are hard but want you to succeed and overcome their challenges. Difficult games very much do not. Hollow Knight is the former.

I'd agree with both of these. I've just heard people talking up the difficulty of this game so I went in expecting like... dante must die mode from dmc3

• Locked thread