Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just a quick sanity check, i want to add some ssd flash cache to my QNAP nas. Is a couple of 250gb mx500(2,5" SATA) a good pick? Is there a better model to watch for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SlowBloke posted:

Just a quick sanity check, i want to add some ssd flash cache to my QNAP nas. Is a couple of 250gb mx500(2,5" SATA) a good pick? Is there a better model to watch for?

The MX500 is probably the second-best affordable SSD out there, and it also has power outage protection, if your NAS isn't on a backup battery.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The MX500 is probably the second-best affordable SSD out there, and it also has power outage protection, if your NAS isn't on a backup battery.

TY, i'll add them to the shopping list :)

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
I've got to update a couple of machines at work to Windows 10 from 7 and it looks like I'm wiping everything. I've floated the idea of getting SSDs in them. What are peoples thoughts on getting cheap WD Green (WDS120G2G0A) drives? The machines don't really do anything intensive.

It seems to be really cheap but I'm struggling to find any reviews for them. Are they going to die in a years time and cause me lots of grief?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

franchise1 posted:

I've got to update a couple of machines at work to Windows 10 from 7 and it looks like I'm wiping everything. I've floated the idea of getting SSDs in them. What are peoples thoughts on getting cheap WD Green (WDS120G2G0A) drives? The machines don't really do anything intensive.

It seems to be really cheap but I'm struggling to find any reviews for them. Are they going to die in a years time and cause me lots of grief?

Will the extra $20 per drive be significant not to use 250GB MX500s? The *listed* IOPS ratings on the Greens look really lovely (37k/68k r/w) as opposed to the MX500's listed specs (95k/90k r/w). The Greens also only have a three year warranty and only have a 40TBW rating on the 120GB SKU. The MX500 carries a five year warranty and has a 100TBW rating on the 250GB SKU.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Will the extra $20 per drive be significant not to use 250GB MX500s? The *listed* IOPS ratings on the Greens look really lovely (37k/68k r/w) as opposed to the MX500's listed specs (95k/90k r/w). The Greens also only have a three year warranty and only have a 40TBW rating on the 120GB SKU. The MX500 carries a five year warranty and has a 100TBW rating on the 250GB SKU.

It's half the price, and the people that I'm doing it for are very tight. I suspect they are going to stick with the existing drives but thought I could sell a £25 SSD to them.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

franchise1 posted:

It's half the price, and the people that I'm doing it for are very tight. I suspect they are going to stick with the existing drives but thought I could sell a £25 SSD to them.

Just do it then. Any SSD will be better than an HDD boot drive. Don't even give them the option, say the "hard drive crashed" :rolleyes: and they need to upgrade to SSDs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

franchise1 posted:

I suspect they are going to stick with the existing drives but thought I could sell a £25 SSD to them.

sell them on SSDs increasing the usable lifetime of the computers

Anyways those WD Greens are fine for reliability. They're still using last-gen 15mn flash, not the 3d stuff -- which is why their write endurance is so puny. But for work desktops write endurance is not a problem. And the rest of their cheapness is explained by a low-end controller and no dram cache. (Though despite being a cheap controller, it's optimized for workloads that are mostly reads and not bad in that department.)

There's a reason that WD Greens are only available in 120gb and 240gb sizes: if they did 500 or 1tb size versions at the same price they'd risk cannibalizing the more expensive drives.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
Cheers guys. Hopefully will do one and see what they think.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
This is drifting slightly off topic, but has anyone configured windows server 2016 storage spaces with SSD caching? How is the real world performance?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm building a PC and the SSD is the absolute last piece of gear I need to throw this all together. I intend to use this PC for gaming, some streaming and video editing.

The 960 evo is in stock locally, but not the 970 evo.

Looking at the 500GB models.

I see the 970 is slightly faster but is the extra cost and wait time really justified by this? I'm googling a lot and everyone seems to have conflicting answers from "you won't really notice the speed difference" to "the 960 is going to break down within 6 months of you buying it and you'll be sorry you didn't just take the hit".

Some insights would be much appreciated.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Streak posted:

I intend to use this PC for gaming, some streaming and video editing.
unless you're going to edit 8k video, just get an mx500

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
You won't notice the difference, probably

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Am I mistaken or is the 960 not significantly faster than the mx500?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You need a petabyte for 8k!

https://blog.seagate.com/business/linus-tech-tips-want-petabyte-system/

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Streak posted:

it is significantly faster....sequentially. which means if you're splicing 8k frames it's a godsend. it's superfluous for anything less

4k QD1-4 IOPs, which are "whim of user" workloads common to the end user, are not much faster for the cost difference.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Streak posted:

I'm building a PC and the SSD is the absolute last piece of gear I need to throw this all together. I intend to use this PC for gaming, some streaming and video editing.

The 960 evo is in stock locally, but not the 970 evo.

Looking at the 500GB models.

I see the 970 is slightly faster but is the extra cost and wait time really justified by this? I'm googling a lot and everyone seems to have conflicting answers from "you won't really notice the speed difference" to "the 960 is going to break down within 6 months of you buying it and you'll be sorry you didn't just take the hit".

Some insights would be much appreciated.

Unless you were to go with the cheapest, crappiest Chinese SSD over literally any other decent one, you're not going to notice the difference. Once you put the SSD in your system and close it up you'll forget about it. Just go with the best deal on a decent drive and be done with it. Hell, Microcenter's 480 GB TLC (which does have DRAM!) is $75 at the moment, an all-time low.
:eyepop:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atomizer posted:

Unless you were to go with the cheapest, crappiest Chinese SSD over literally any other decent one, you're not going to notice the difference. Once you put the SSD in your system and close it up you'll forget about it. Just go with the best deal on a decent drive and be done with it. Hell, Microcenter's 480 GB TLC (which does have DRAM!) is $75 at the moment, an all-time low.
:eyepop:

I forgot to mention I'm in Canada, so while I really appreciate you going out of your way to find me that sweet deal unfortunately I won't be able to take advantage of it.

Are there any brands/models that are to be avoided? I do have concerns about drive failures and longevity down the road. I had one SSD die on me a few years back and it sucked.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Streak posted:

yes, if you do tasks that require 10k iops or sustained reads and writes that would saturate the sata bus. if you don't, you're paying a premium to have that IO capacity sit idle.

OTOH with a sata drive you can probably get 1TB for roughly the same price as the 960. on newegg it's $20 difference between them. if your local prices are similar, a higher-capacity SSD is generally a better purchase than NVMe drive for anyone with a budget.

to answer your original question, the differences between the 960 evo and the 970 evo are extremely minimal.

Streak posted:

Are there any brands/models that are to be avoided? I do have concerns about drive failures and longevity down the road. I had one SSD die on me a few years back and it sucked.

Buy from this list if you put a premium on reliability: Samsung, WD / Sandisk, Crucial, Mushkin

2nd edit: it's not that everyone else is unreliable or to be avoided per se, but they're just rarely discounted enough to be worth it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 22, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Streak posted:

I forgot to mention I'm in Canada, so while I really appreciate you going out of your way to find me that sweet deal unfortunately I won't be able to take advantage of it.

Ah, drat. :(

Anyways, for your main SSD, you'd generally want to get a better drive than you'd have as a secondary, i.e., get one with DRAM (generally if you do a little research and can't find whether or not a model has DRAM, that means it probably doesn't, but typically all the popular models you've heard of do have it, like the Samsungs,) MLC and/or 3D NAND, etc. Klyith's recommendations are spot on, but avoid the very low end especially the WD Greens.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also, I just thought of this: 256GB is IMO the wrong size for the PC enthusiast.

I first got an SSD in like 2011, a 90GB drive when they were just getting down towards the $1/GB mark. Used that for more than 5 years continuously* and was very happy with it. Thing had just enough room for OS, applications, page file, etc. The basics. Everything else stayed on HDDs and it was all just peachy.

Then I bought a 256GB drive, and it lasted less than a year before I moved up a 500GB one. The 256 was big enough to put stuff on, and that paradoxically made it feel smaller than the 90. It wasn't enough space to not need to care about space if you get what I mean. 500 isn't so huge that I'll never delete anything again, but it'll be a clean-up once or twice a year.

*which is surprising since it was an OCZ. still works in fact, I have it in a usb3 caddy for ultra-fast sneakernet

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Even 500GB is getting cramped for me with just a few games, one VM, and a modest number of installed programs. Next build I'm definitely going for a TB drive.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I ended up getting a 1tb mx500. Does this thing have dram?

Stuck a bunch of media on it and am currently reencoding it to shrink file sizes about 35% with no significant loss in quality. drat this ryzen is speedy.

Cities skylines is loading save games under a minute vs over 5 or 6 minutes on my previous ddr3 system where it was installed on a 7200rpm.

Pretty happy so far!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crucial's mxN00 drives use DRAM-based controllers (in this particular model, 1GB per TB)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Also, I just thought of this: 256GB is IMO the wrong size for the PC enthusiast.

I first got an SSD in like 2011, a 90GB drive when they were just getting down towards the $1/GB mark. Used that for more than 5 years continuously* and was very happy with it. Thing had just enough room for OS, applications, page file, etc. The basics. Everything else stayed on HDDs and it was all just peachy.

Then I bought a 256GB drive, and it lasted less than a year before I moved up a 500GB one. The 256 was big enough to put stuff on, and that paradoxically made it feel smaller than the 90. It wasn't enough space to not need to care about space if you get what I mean. 500 isn't so huge that I'll never delete anything again, but it'll be a clean-up once or twice a year.

*which is surprising since it was an OCZ. still works in fact, I have it in a usb3 caddy for ultra-fast sneakernet

It's pretty much, "get as large an SSD as you can," for all of the reasons: usable capacity, speed, future proofing, etc. But if you have a budget, I recommend no less than 128 GB for just the OS and maybe Chrome. Go up to 256 GB and then you have room for a couple games, and so on. If you have space for multiple drives then your OS one doesn't have to be arbitrarily large, however; if anything I'd be happy with a smaller NVMe drive and then programs can go on whatever other drives in the system.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
SSD prices seem to really be dropping, you can now get the MX500 for only 20 cents a gig.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
This is your irregularly scheduled reminder that if you think your SSD is taking a poo poo it might actually just be your SATA cable taking a poo poo, brought to you by: my SATA cable taking a poo poo and me being worried I was going to have to replace my 850 pro.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are you sure your colleagues didn't swap your SATA cables over as a hilarious prank?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Quite, this is my home office PC, so unless it was my wife (unlikely) or a cat (possible)... it's one of a 3 pack that I bought a while back, the other 2 are still running my mechanical storage drives with seemingly no issue.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Intel missed their best option to sell more SSDs. RGB lighting. Only $1.46/GB.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MaxxBot posted:

SSD prices seem to really be dropping, you can now get the MX500 for only 20 cents a gig.

China put the fear of God into the NAND cartel

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Malcolm XML posted:

China put the fear of God into the NAND cartel

NAND flash comes from the barrel of a gun

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you sure your colleagues didn't swap your SATA cables over as a hilarious prank?

I basically had the same thing happen recently, all kinds of crazy problems that went away when I threw out the SATA cable.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

TOOT BOOT posted:

I basically had the same thing happen recently, all kinds of crazy problems that went away when I threw out the SATA cable.

I had my first ever dead SATA cable arrive with a z170 ITX. Also the board disabled some SATA ports because I had NVME fitted and the user manual sucked hard (Asrock).

That was fun.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

In my case, I think it might actually be the drive on its way out. I noticed my computer wasn't picking up my SSD, and it still wouldn't detect the drive even after I switched its SATA cable with the one my hard disk drive was using. In both cases the HDD was showing up but not the drive that my operating system was on. When I took it to get checked, I was told it still worked, but took a while to actually show up on their system. It was a 120gb Kingston and it lasted a good 3 or so years until this happened.

I remember the OP of an archived SSD thread said something about running the computer in BIOS for half an hour to revive the SSD and then updating its firmware. Of course, it sounded like that was for SSDs that didn't have the OS on them, and the post was from 2014, but is that still something I could do?

I apologize in advance for using a Kingston, and I'm going to replace it once I'm able, but I'd like to squeeze more life out of it in the mean time. I also have a Monoprice SATA cable arriving some time next week just in case the default motherboard cables were also a factor.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Level Slide posted:

In my case, I think it might actually be the drive on its way out. I noticed my computer wasn't picking up my SSD, and it still wouldn't detect the drive even after I switched its SATA cable with the one my hard disk drive was using. In both cases the HDD was showing up but not the drive that my operating system was on. When I took it to get checked, I was told it still worked, but took a while to actually show up on their system. It was a 120gb Kingston and it lasted a good 3 or so years until this happened.

I remember the OP of an archived SSD thread said something about running the computer in BIOS for half an hour to revive the SSD and then updating its firmware. Of course, it sounded like that was for SSDs that didn't have the OS on them, and the post was from 2014, but is that still something I could do?

I apologize in advance for using a Kingston, and I'm going to replace it once I'm able, but I'd like to squeeze more life out of it in the mean time. I also have a Monoprice SATA cable arriving some time next week just in case the default motherboard cables were also a factor.

I think that BIOS advice was for one specific drive controller. Does Kingston have firmware updates available for your SSD? If not, you should use whatever time you have when that thing boots up to move anything important off of it since it may just vanish and possibly never work again. You can also check with Crystal Disk Info to see if it's got any indication of wear level or errors, although whatever's going on with the disk may not actually be reported in the SMART data.

It's a good time to be shopping for new SSDs as prices are dropping at the moment. Crucial MX500s are about $70 for 250GB and $110 for 500GB:
https://smile.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-500GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0764WCXCV/
Samsung 860 EVO is just a few dollars more:
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B07864WMK8/

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

drat, that's way better than what I paid for the 120gb all those years ago. I'll certainly keep those in mind.

It looks like there's a Kingston firmware update for a specific SSD, though I haven't checked if it was the one I had. I actually think I might be completely out of time with my Kingston, it wouldn't show up even after leaving it on the BIOS for half an hour.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Level Slide posted:

That was probably specific to the Crucial M4 (I ran into that problem).

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

All signs pointing toward getting a new SSD. That Samsung 860 EVO looks really nice. I'll only really use it for the OS, the browser, and maybe a couple Steam games, am I right in assuming 250gb is more than enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Level Slide posted:

All signs pointing toward getting a new SSD. That Samsung 860 EVO looks really nice. I'll only really use it for the OS, the browser, and maybe a couple Steam games, am I right in assuming 250gb is more than enough?

It's like $35 more just get the 500gb

250 gets real cramped for an OS drive