Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CountFosco posted:

When Gauguin moved to Tahiti, he moved in with a fourteen year old local girl. Mahte was two years older than that, and then on top of it she was five years older when they apparently first conssumated (it would not surprise my if the consummation happened earlier, of course). So Gauguin's was younger, but then again Gauguin was a more important artist. We'll have to get an ethical calculator to figure this one out.

There's a story that Gaugin cut off Van Gogh's ear in a fight, and Van Gogh claimed he cut it off himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a story that Gaugin cut off Van Gogh's ear in a fight, and Van Gogh claimed he cut it off himself.

"I'm going to go establish an alibi, you get rid of the evidence!"
"What? How?"
"How do you think, you moron? Mail it to someone?? Derrr!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timby posted:

The God stuff in AA is pretty easy to sidestep: Simply substitute "God" for "power greater than myself"; the whole point is an exercise in humility and accepting that you are not king poo poo of the mountain.

That would be the part that probably stopped him dead in his tracks.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

dont even fink about it posted:

I have a friend in AA who just got his 15-year coin, which for him ended not only his alcohol abuse but his life in drug culture overall (shrooms and pot and probably other things). He's a totally irreligious ex-military D&D player. You do not have to be born again to go through AA.

My father got his 25 year coin before he died, and probably could be be described as someone with a vendetta against Catholicism. My brother has a 10 year coin and is fairly indifferent to religion. I went to Al-anon off and on for a few years and you could say I fall between my brother and father when it comes to Catholicism and religion in general.

AA and its programs aren't perfect and aren't for everyone, but if you have even the slightest interest in attending don't let any of the religious affiliation turn you away, as it really is an almost inconsequential part of treatment in my collected experiences.

Also, typing this out I realize it sounds like I was in Al-anon from my father and brother (technically both step-), but really it was getting over the PTSD and co-dependency of my violent rear end in a top hat biological father, as my step-father was sober when he met my mom and I never lived with my step-brother.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-an-alleged-abusive-emo-sex-cult-none-of-these-poor-girls-could-say-no

The accusations against William Control are starting to hit the news despite the lack of prosecution. This article in particular struck me because one of the victims told about a story from 2012 when she was raped shortly before Control left to do sound check. I immediately recognized that show as the first time I had ever seen him in concert. He and Aesthetic Perfection were two of the bands opening for The Birthday Massacre. It's very uncomfortable thinking back to that concert and now realizing that just before I saw this guy in person, he was beating and raping one of his "slaves". It makes me wonder how many other concerts I saw him in had him doing that right before or after. Was it all of them?

For his part, Daniel Graves of Aesthetic Perfection re-released his "Rhythm + Control" song with Will's vocals removed (and frankly a much better mix anyway) and is donating 100% of the song's proceeds for the first 6 months to Planned Parenthood.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
On a lighter note

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/new-co-worker-wont-shut-the-gently caress-up-about-the-walking-dead/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Terry Crews owns

https://news.avclub.com/terry-crews-turned-down-expendables-4-after-producer-to-1827143264

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Crews is amazing and deserves all of the support and praise in the world for being so open about the assault he endured. Mad respect for him turning down Expendables 4. Somebody get this man his own franchise, yesterday.

Edit:

And here comes 50 Cent to mock Crews for his bravery, and remind everyone that he peaked nine years ago with Blood On The Sand:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marcusjones/50-cent-mocked-terry-crews-sexual-assault-testimony?utm_term=.hwGGGRBArz#.vvjVV9j6QX

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 26, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Terry Crews does indeed own, but I am amused that somebody thought 'you can be in Expendables 4' was any kind of leverage. I mean, he was barely in 3.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fart City posted:

Crews is amazing and deserves all of the support and praise in the world for being so open about the assault he endured. Mad respect for him turning down Expendables 4. Somebody get this man his own franchise, yesterday.

Yeah, dude's an absolute class act through and through.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, dude's an absolute class act through and through.

Crews is a guy that has been through several different careers and I imagine it allows him to have a better perspective on these things than maybe he would otherwise. Like, nobody is going to hold Crews' acting career hostage by threatening him because he can imagine life without being a movie star, he's already lived it. He has many talents and could easily make a good living doing a hundred different things, and he knows it.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

For more straight from the source, he gave an interview last week that veered from code switching to his activism for about 10 minutes last week while promoting Sorry to Bother You:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vb-Z40p0mg&t=262s

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/IWas17HeWas36/status/1010337544637067264

The next one is a real tool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Just while we're talking about Crews, even when he fucks up, he does it the right way. He did cheat on his wife, and we know because he talked about it, publicly, and took full responsiblity and apologised.

Honestly, Crews feels like one of those people that slipped in from some other, better universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I can already picture how his fanbase will twist and turn to dismiss this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Normal people haven't cared about Tool for like 10 years

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I like Tool's music for the most part

Tool fans are basically the worst

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

One might even say they're a bunch of tools.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s 4 days old and Maynard’s response yesterday was

https://twitter.com/mjkeenan/status/1012425461845016576?s=21

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy poo poo. Good on Crews for fighting back against blackmail like that.

And the fact this motherfucker Adam Venit still has his job after this proves racism is alive and well in Hollywood. He would definitely have been fired long ago if Crews was an attractive woman; but no, the muscular black man can surely handle being groped, right? The naked racism here is so blatant you can taste it. It’s loving disgusting.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, and gently caress that piece of poo poo 50 Cent for mocking Crews’ situation with Adam Venit. That kind of bullshit is why sexual assault victims are afraid to speak out.

Is 50 Cent offering free handjobs to anyone buying merchandise with his name on it at this point in his career or what?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rhyno posted:

According to the comments on the original Twitter thread and Keenan's reply, they're saying that nobody has ever come forward with accusations like this and that some of the accounts telling stories are brand new and have no other content except rape stories from Tool (except there are some people with old accounts posting stories as well, which you have to go down farther to find).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Slutitution posted:

And the fact this motherfucker Adam Venit still has his job after this proves racism is alive and well in Hollywood. He would definitely have been fired long ago if Crews was an attractive woman;

That's an odd definition of 'race'.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kangra posted:

That's an odd definition of 'race'.

Oh, I forgot to add ‘white,’ but somehow I think you already knew what I was getting at you tool.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

It's just like I've always said: "If a 50-year-old man has a Skrillex haircut, he's probably a rapist."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“The account is new” is like maybe the worst reason to discredit something on social media of all time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

When (sadly to an extent, if) the music #metoo wall falls, it’s gonna be huge. Bigger than Hollywood’s own reckoning, potentially. Sexual abuse is so heavily ingrained in the rockstar lifestyle that it has almost come to be an accepted part of the culture at large. I mean how many times have you read something like the “Led Zeppelin shark story,” and the tone it was told with was “isn’t this wild and crazy” as opposed to “holy gently caress these are the actions of lunatics?” Bands like Motley Crue basically predicated their entire image on being misygonistic assholes, and were celebrated for it. Like being a sexmonster has almost been a kind of brand in rock music.

So it’s like, does hearing these allegations against Keenan surprise me? No. It does not. But I’m finding myself more critical of myself for not being surprised at it. Music is like super immediate in comparison to the digesting that needs to take place with film or literature. That makes it more personal. You hear a song, it affects you. But that closeness can’t serve as cover for the bad behaviors of those who are behind it. Making me feel something doesn’t excuse hurting others. Broadly adopting that mindset is going to be key in opening the music world to its own reckoning and self-reflection.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Slutitution posted:

Oh, I forgot to add ‘white,’ but somehow I think you already knew what I was getting at you tool.

Similar (if far worse) statements have been made before that confounded the two, so no I can’t really be sure where you’re headed when a mistake turns your sloppy analogy into a bizarre one.

On the Maynard story, one thing that bothers me a lot is the person who 'procured' the girls for him. That very fact makes it plain that it happened many times and nobody was asking any questions. Or, as probably happened more than once, outright ignored what they saw.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kangra posted:

Similar (if far worse) statements have been made before that confounded the two, so no I can’t really be sure where you’re headed when a mistake turns your sloppy analogy into a bizarre one.

On the Maynard story, one thing that bothers me a lot is the person who 'procured' the girls for him. That very fact makes it plain that it happened many times and nobody was asking any questions. Or, as probably happened more than once, outright ignored what they saw.

Assuming she's telling the truth, the way she described it sounds like he had turned rape into a "business as usual" thing devoid of anything but getting his dick wet.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Makes the fact that one of Tool's most well known videos/songs is about sexual abuse resonate in a new way, a really loving unpleasant one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sadly the abused often become the abusers

I'm reminded of the Karpman triangle, my dad (in ambulant psychiatry) told me that more often the "victim", if they exit that role at all, will tend toward the "abuser" rather than the "rescuer" in future relationships. its hosed up.

no excuse though

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

sadly the abused often become the abusers

I'm reminded of the Karpman triangle, my dad (in ambulant psychiatry) told me that more often the "victim", if they exit that role at all, will tend toward the "abuser" rather than the "rescuer" in future relationships. its hosed up.

no excuse though

Oh I'm definitely not trying to excuse his behaviour. But if you're a Tool fan and that song helped you cope or something (which is a thing lots of music fans do) because it made you feel less alone, you quite possibly have a real sour taste in your mouth right now.

I'm sure a lot of Tool fans are just straight up in denial, too.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm in awe of our ability to look at an entire art form as just "not counting" where rape is concerned.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rudy Giuliani’s wife filed for divorce after his affair with married woman
https://pagesix.com/2018/06/12/rudy-giuliani-had-an-affair-with-married-woman-before-divorce/

Ron Jeremy Sued for Sexual Assault & Battery ... In Washington State
http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/27/ron-jeremy-sued-sexual-assault-battery-washington-radio-model/

Gayle King Thinks #MeToo Needs Due Process
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/magazine/gayle-king-thinks-metoo-needs-due-process.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Oh I'm definitely not trying to excuse his behaviour. But if you're a Tool fan and that song helped you cope or something (which is a thing lots of music fans do) because it made you feel less alone, you quite possibly have a real sour taste in your mouth right now.

oh no sorry that wasnt what i meant

youre right if both these are true (he is a victim and an abuser), that is a lovely mindfuck for everyone for whom the songs helped go to a better place

my parting shot up there was just an "explanations arent excuses" type deal

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's a similar problem to what I went through with William Control. A lot of his songs are about relationships and they range from tender love songs to lost love songs to hardcore BDSM songs. After thinking back on some of his lyrics, I can now see just how literal they were.

quote:

She's chained to the wall and knows her place within his violence
Her lashes blue and black and oh how she adores him
He loves her fear and as she wept
She applies her misery
He's kept her locked inside a pallid place of worship
A valid dungeon filled with perfect iron curtains
He loves her fear
She does weep
She'll scream for more

Turns out it's not actually metaphorical! It was actually a terrifying description of him abusing women between shows!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

actually wow i guess there are some uh indicators in the song (Tool - Prison Sex) that i didnt think about before (always read it as specific revenge, and not generalized continuance)

quote:

It took so long to remember just what happened
I was so young and vestal then
You know it hurt me
But I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise
I've got my hands bound
My head down, my eyes closed
And my throat wide open

Do unto others what has been done to you

I'm treading water
I need to sleep a while
My lamb and martyr, you look so precious
Won't you come a bit closer
Close enough so I can smell you
I need you to feel this
I can't stand to burn too long
Released in this sodomy
For one sweet moment I am whole

Do unto you now what has been done to me

You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise
Won't you come just a bit closer
Close enough so I can smell you
I need you to feel this
I need this to make me whole
There's release in this sodomy
For I am your witness that
Blood and flesh can be trusted
And only this one holy medium brings me peace of mind

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I legit have no idea what Tool (or most bands, really) are even singing about half the time

Vocals are incomprehensible to me

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

actually wow i guess there are some uh indicators in the song (Tool - Prison Sex) that i didnt think about before (always read it as specific revenge, and not generalized continuance)

The video is also basically Sexual Abuse: the movie. It's done in the same style as the video for Sober visually, and it's about as subtle as a brick in the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I legit have no idea what Tool (or most bands, really) are even singing about half the time

Vocals are incomprehensible to me

Same, it's just like another instrument. I couldn't tell you what nearly every song I hear is about.