Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Sir Lemming posted:

"Hurt people; hurt people" is a fantastic gag.

That was the funniest part of the season, honestly.

Maeby was a highlight, and that's new. Lucille was THE highlight, and that's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Only one like half-second chicken dance all season so far.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I don't have a problem with Gob being gay at all, I just think the specific way this season dealt with that storyline felt super dated. Especially since Tobias being gay (or at least being confused/in denial about being gay, like Gob was for most of this season) is still a punchline 15 years later. I'm not even talking about it being offensive, it just feels really out of place to be doubling down like that in 2018. If that's an integral part of the show, I think it's a good argument for letting the show die a natural death in the era it belonged to rather than playing Frankenstein with it twice now.

It's a show where every single major character has a serious sexual dysfunction. There are multiple pedophiles and have been multiple incest plotlines.

Anyways the joke isn't necessarily even that GOB and Tony Wonder are gay, it's that they are both such ridiculous narcissists that they can only really love someone who is exactly like themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Simplex posted:

Anyways the joke isn't necessarily even that GOB and Tony Wonder are gay, it's that they are both such ridiculous narcissists that they can only really love someone who is exactly like themselves.

Yeah, I don't recall it being in the re-cut season 4, but in the original I remember the narration saying something like "GOB and Tony Wonder were developing feelings for each other. That feeling was friendship, but as neither of them had experienced it before, they got confused."

There's also that conversation with Michael from the original seasons (2 or 3, I can't remember which) where he says, "maybe the feeling you're feeling is love," and GOB says, "I know what an erection feels like, Michael!"

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ALFbrot posted:

There isn't a less-flattering comparison they could've launched against than the season going live the same day as the new Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. My wife and I laughed more in the first ten minutes of the first Kimmy episode than we did in all 8 AD episodes.
Yeah, this is where I'm at exactly. I don't have any particular objection to any of the plotlines they chose to do, or anything along those lines, but there was just so much painfully forced wordplay and so many weak jokes that at points I was feeling bad for the actors. I'd just rewatched s4 and found it decent enough, but this was a step back for me. I kind of expected the opposite, an improvement, because i had bought into the stuff about the cast being more together for this season and figured they'd get a better product.

Just like you I then watched the first episode of Kimmy, and it just had so many more lines land immediately that it confirmed to me i wasn't just being a crank and that AD is either not as much to my liking as it used to be or that the quality has fallen by a lot. One thing I will say for AD is that since this was apparently only half the season, perhaps more things will come together and land in the back half. That was the case in s4.

favorite joke though was Maeby dressed as an old woman and looking into the mirror and realizing she'd become her father

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 18, 2018

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
There's been one post in this thread in the past week. That's about as stunning an indictment of AD's fall from grace as this forum could manage. I honestly thought it'd be another Seinfeld/Futurama/King of the Hill with threads til the end of time full of goons just quoting the show at each other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This season didn't have any good quotes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*recites one of Buster's weird, paragraph-length monologues*

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Pick a lane!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The raped murderer bit with George-Michael and Maybe is fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
imo this whole half-season was almost worth it for that bit alone

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

There's been one post in this thread in the past week. That's about as stunning an indictment of AD's fall from grace as this forum could manage. I honestly thought it'd be another Seinfeld/Futurama/King of the Hill with threads til the end of time full of goons just quoting the show at each other.

Hell that was the original AD thread years back, wasn't it?

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

The raped murderer bit with George-Michael and Maybe is fun.

That, and “a remake of Spider-Man 2 (the original)” are all that I can remember.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I kinda liked the meta-joke they had going on where they only remembered to bleep about half of the swear words, chosen apparently at random

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still giggle when I think of Lucille bitching Trump stole her wall idea while praising making them pay for it.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The apprehensive clown

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

"Hurt people, hurt people".

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

PRIMOS!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Yay more AD, I finished Season 5. I rank it 2=4>1>5>3 so far. All is good tbh and I don't understand the naysaying about it, it's still good.

Now onto criticism, I LOVED how they dealt with schedulling issues in 4, the characters meeting on some static and imporant events (resort, cinco de cuatro, jury and its a big phallacyyyy, etc). What hurt this season was the green screens, they shouldn't force them to be together when they can't be. I know I'm on the minority and Season 4 will never happen again...and it's such a shame because it's such a treat to re-watch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I'm so glad they creatively compromised with S4 instead of taking the easy route.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the sound mixing in this show is off, the conversation tobias had with his son in the car was unlistenable due to the music overlay and i didn't bother to go back and enable subtitles because this show is bad and boring now

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The writing in this show is still clever, but the editing is horrendous. The "shaky-cam to steady-cam" cuts are dead giveaways that the actors weren't even in the same shot and it takes me right the gently caress out. Ugh.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
There's one bit where Ron Howard was green-screened and they kept the shaky-cam, which was seriously awful.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I don't know why I never notice that stuff. It's not like I don't usually spot CGI, but I'm not exactly looking for it in some random, casual scene in a sitcom. Lucky for me, I guess.

Too bad this season still sucked.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Its one of those things where if you have some knowledge it's impossible not to see. My thing is audio though, and bad ADR and footsteps are admittedly not as bad as clumsy color keys and green screens.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ron Howard isn't so much greenscreened as obviously not shot on the same set as everyone else (except for the prison scene which was great). And then they use a double for when he's shot from behind. It keeps cutting to him awkwardly talking directly into the camera instead of to the other character, like in a '90s FMV video game.

Also yeah, the ADR is truly awful in this show, although that's not unique to season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I have watched Maebe explain dadfights and thatswhatson multiple times a day.

• Locked thread