Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

On first listen, this is easily the best thing he's put out since Hesitation Marks. Those At The Heart Of It All-esque instrumentals are what I've wanted from him for ages now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

il_cornuto posted:

On first listen, this is easily the best thing he's put out since Hesitation Marks. Those At The Heart Of It All-esque instrumentals are what I've wanted from him for ages now.
I don't know if it is the newness or what, but this floored me on the first listen, whereas the other two EPs didn't grab me the same way. The production on this seems like it is on another level.

Trent has heavily implied that there is a story tying the three EPs together, and to be honest I just don't see much of a theme other than reality is a dream.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like there could be a sonic connection between "Branches/Bones" and "poo poo Mirror", and between "The Lovers" and "Over And Out", but I haven't had a chance to listen really closely yet.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I could've sworn I heard a part in Over and Out that was used for the off time loop in The Lovers, but it may just be similar.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I got an email notification that my LP has shipped but the download link still only shows the God Break Down The Door single. Thank goodness for :filez: I guess.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
my only disappoint with this album is that I wanted him to say "everybody seems to be asleep" one more time as a nice way of connecting the three projects. guess it's not that easy!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The long gap between this one and the last 2 EPs makes me wonder if Trent originally wrote this album to have more direct references to the previous 2 EPs but decided to make it more of a standalone album instead. There's some callbacks to the previous EPs but it doesn't really acknowledge whatever worldbuilding and connection to Year Zero that Add Violence was hinting towards.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

HorseRenoir posted:

The long gap between this one and the last 2 EPs makes me wonder if Trent originally wrote this album to have more direct references to the previous 2 EPs but decided to make it more of a standalone album instead. There's some callbacks to the previous EPs but it doesn't really acknowledge whatever worldbuilding and connection to Year Zero that Add Violence was hinting towards.

I think he pretty much said exactly this in the Apple Radio interview. He felt like things were going in too much of a “sci fi” direction and things were entirely too hosed up in the real world for him to continue down that path, so they scrapped what they were working on and went in more of an experimental direction.

I would’ve liked the third part of Dear World/The Lovers, too, but it sure wouldn’t fit with this group of songs.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm sure we're all inevitably gonna try playing all 3 EPs/LPs in a row. I like how each piece of this trilogy functions on its own, with a beginning and end, so I'm not big on the previously proposed idea of compiling them onto one album. But I do think a playing order of AV - NTAE - BW works pretty well. There's a progression of sound/style/mood that feels right. "Burning Bright" sets the stage pretty nicely for "poo poo Mirror" too.

The end of each record is definitely a "flip to the next side" moment though -- you need a moment of silence after "The Background World" for sure.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

No God no more ARGs, trying to piece together the Slip graphics into something coherent almost broke my brain for good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There Will Be ARGs, I mean Trent is the guy who once said "if I spent half as much time making music as I do playing DOOM I'd have made ten Downward Spirals by now"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
i call bullshit on their being a cohesive story here, that won't stop NIN heads from piecing one together

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/1009132432673497088

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is the album available for digital purchase anywhere i don't have a record player

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is the album available for digital purchase anywhere i don't have a record player
Not yet; it doesn’t release digitally for a few days still. You can preorder it on iTunes.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Play The Goddamned Part into God Break Down The Door is the highlight of the album for me. I've grown to really love the Bowie worship. This one feels more connected to NTAE for me because both NTAE and Bad Witch are kind of weird, where Add Violence is more straight-forward. I'm kind of sad that Over and Out isn't as epic as The Background World. I might try sequencing the tracks of all 3 releases in a long playlist, but I don't think the chronological order of the tracks would actually work particularly well. I think I have the same problem with Bad Witch as I did with NTAE: Because it is on the more experimental end, I feel like it could benefit from being slightly longer. NTAE especially, I feel like it's just getting going, then it stops.

e: Despite complaints about Over and Out it's still a great song and the other LP highlight.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 20, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So why is it called Bad Witch anyway? It's not totally nonsensical, but it seems unconnected to any of the themes other than being a vaguely dark-sounding thing. Then there's the question of poo poo Mirror, of course...

Also, if there is any good "supercut" playlist to be had that disrupts the records' track orders at all, I think it could be: NTAE first 2 tracks, then AV, NTAE last 3 tracks, BW. If not that, I think my previous idea of just doing AV first still works. But "The Background World" being track 5 of 16 does feel a little off.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

So why is it called Bad Witch anyway? It's not totally nonsensical, but it seems unconnected to any of the themes other than being a vaguely dark-sounding thing. Then there's the question of poo poo Mirror, of course...

Also, if there is any good "supercut" playlist to be had that disrupts the records' track orders at all, I think it could be: NTAE first 2 tracks, then AV, NTAE last 3 tracks, BW. If not that, I think my previous idea of just doing AV first still works. But "The Background World" being track 5 of 16 does feel a little off.

I'm playing around with this too, here's what I've put together so far:
code:
01 poo poo Mirror
02 Branches/Bones
03 Dear World,
04 The Lovers
05 Less Than
06 Not Anymore
07 The Idea of You
08 She's Gone Away
09 This Isn't the Place
10 Ahead of Ourselves
11 Play the Goddamned Part
12 God Break Down the Door
13 Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
14 I'm Not From This World
15 Over and Out
16 The Background World
I'm sure I'll mess around with it, but I don't hate it so far. I'm not trying to put together any sort of "canonical" order or anything, this is really just for my own benefit since there's at least a track or two from each EP that I don't love so I shuffled things around to try to make them more palatable in the context of other tracks.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Has it been brought up that Play the Goddamned Part sounds like a song that was written after Trent watched Whiplash?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I tried the thing, and made sure to keep the songs in the same order relative to one another that they had on their original releases

1. Branches/Bones
2. Dear World,
3. Less Than
4. She's Gone Away
5. The Idea of You
6. The Lovers
7. This Isn't the Place
8. Not Anymore
9. poo poo Mirror
10. Ahead of Ourselves
11. Play the Goddamned Part
12. God Break Down the Door
13. I'm Not From this World
14. Burning Bright (Field on Fire)
15. Over and Out
16. The Background World

I think it flows pretty well

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm halfway through the record. I'm getting major Lost Highway OST vibes. Pretty cool considering I recently went back to record on a whim.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was about to say, poo poo mirror sounds like it fell off With Teeth

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i was about to say, poo poo mirror sounds like it fell off With Teeth
Because it wasn't good enough

(I wish I could say I liked poo poo Mirror more but I do not.)

Maybe hearing it played live would make me come around on it, but I don't dig the studio version that much.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i only got to listen to a couple songs from youtube but i think i enjoy add violence the most of the three EPs.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

My vinyl copy has arrived but I've only had a link to download God Breaks Down The Door and not the rest of the album. Is this normal? My record player is broken right now :(

edit: oh, the store says the MP3s are due tomorrow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1009497398106841089

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1009855998402727937

My man

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s good to know that TR likes the migos

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Now I'm thinking about a NIN/Childish Gambino collaboration and I think I need to go lie down under a fan

Trent Reznor praises Childish Gambino’s “This Is America”, calls Atlanta TV show “loving genius”
"I find myself playing it for people," he said, "like, 'You've got to loving see this.'"

Atlanta is pretty amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Atlanta is really good yeah. Childish Gambino's music, however, is... not really good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also holy poo poo, he's at 4 kids now? :quagmire:, Trent, :quagmire:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Also holy poo poo, he's at 4 kids now? :quagmire:, Trent, :quagmire:
Yeah when did he have those other 2? lol Last I heard, he was at 2.

I guess this is why there hasn't been any more How to Destroy Angels stuff.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Not that his kids are any of our business but a few pages back somebody pointed out how they've been given the most insufferable names ever:

quote:

They have four children: Lazarus Echo Reznor (born October 10, 2010)[138] and Balthazar Venn Reznor (born December 31, 2011),[139][140] a third son whose name has not been revealed (born November 1, 2015),[141] and daughter Nova Lux Reznor (born December 2016)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man in suit: Hello, Mr Reznor. I'm from Child Protective services

Trent Reznor: Is there a problem

Man in suit: This might seem unusual but I have here an injunction that prevents you from naming your own children. This isn't something we usually do but it's come to our attention this is something you can no longer be trusted to do

Trent Reznor: Oh come on now, I'm not that bad at naming.

Random studio guy: Hey Trent, here's the final mix for song poo poo Mirror off your upcoming album Bad Witch

*Man in suit's eyes narrow as Trent Reznor starts sweating profusely*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Trent Reznor is a huge dork and probably insufferable in some ways but I still like him and Kanye sucks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When I was a kid, we always teased each other over the bands we liked, right? So I was a big, dorky NIN fan and my buddies teased me over Trent's ridiculous emo lyrics. It was all in good fun and everything but one of my friends/rivals' favorite band was Oasis and those guys were loving chodes -- and where did they end up? Who knows! Trent is winning academy awards now for his soundtracks.

The friend was English though so it might've been slightly more acceptable in his case.

This is my petty, meaningless victory.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

When I was a kid, we always teased each other over the bands we liked, right? So I was a big, dorky NIN fan and my buddies teased me over Trent's ridiculous emo lyrics. It was all in good fun and everything but one of my friends/rivals' favorite band was Oasis and those guys were loving chodes -- and where did they end up? Who knows! Trent is winning academy awards now for his soundtracks.

The friend was English though so it might've been slightly more acceptable in his case.

This is my petty, meaningless victory.

To add more balm to your wound, even the people I knew who liked Oasis think everything after their 2nd album is straight trash (personally, I like the song "Where did it all go wrong", but that's about it)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

To add more balm to your wound, even the people I knew who liked Oasis think everything after their 2nd album is straight trash (personally, I like the song "Where did it all go wrong", but that's about it)
I like Oasis and they had some strong tracks after their 2nd album, like these, but the songs were kinda samey after that and they never had a front to back classic album like Morning Glory again after that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyJU2136ym4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6X0rOC32AA

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah when did he have those other 2? lol Last I heard, he was at 2.

I guess this is why there hasn't been any more How to Destroy Angels stuff.

something something sex pun on how to destroy angels sexually

I like Oasis and they had some strong tracks after their 2nd album, like these, but the songs were kinda samey after that and they never had a front to back classic album like Morning Glory again after that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6X0rOC32AA

I dunno which one of the 2 brothers that hate each other is responsible for the actual music, but Oasis sucks, Blur is a million times better, and the only not-awful Oasis song is coincidentally an instrumental:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5tv7mtJTB8

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

the helicopters for that video must've been expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also the Gallagher brothers are at the very least in the top 10 for "musicians with the biggest egos of all time," with the added bonus that a good chunk of their ego-stoking involves making GBS threads on each other