Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Consider this a placeholder post for now, to be filled in as the chronicle is assembled.

Some links:
Microscope, a great little game for group worldbuilding
Roll20, which I'd like to use as our virtual tabletop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Interest post, I have not been in a vampire game in a long time and I am interested in joining.
Edit: I can't do 7pm PST but if it is possible I could do 8pm PST

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 19, 2018

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Interest post! Mon-Tue @ 7 good, Wed @ 7:30 good. Have a roll20 account, but haven't used it for anything yet. May need some beginner's allowance if there's a learning curve. Requiem 1E and 2E experience.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Barbed Tongues posted:

Interest post! Mon-Tue @ 7 good, Wed @ 7:30 good. Have a roll20 account, but haven't used it for anything yet. May need some beginner's allowance if there's a learning curve. Requiem 1E and 2E experience.

Glad to hear it!

I'm a newbie to Roll20 as well, so we'll all learn together. Luckily V:tR is pretty mechanics light compared to things like D&D 4E (I used Fantasy Grounds for that). It supports most of the kinds of things used in CoD: X-Again dice rolls, card system for handling conditions, dice rolls from the character sheet, etc.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
I'm interested in this.

I can make all the times listed. Only really familiar with oWoD, though.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm also available for the times listed. Very interested in how you want to make the setting integrate into it, and Requiem is near and dear to my heart. Was considering a Requiem for Rome game recently.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
MAKE WAY. I'm coming through not knowing the system and hating any vampire not named Alucard but loving this DM.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
I知 mostly familiar with OWOD but I壇 be glad to learn Requiem. 7:30pm or later on Monday, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays are good!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I think we have our group:

Barbed Tongues
Al Baron
Tricky Dick Nixon
Herr Tog
IPlayVideoGames

Could everyone make our first worldbuilding session next Tuesday, June 26th at 7 PM PST?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I知 good to meet then.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Can do. I'm about halfway through reading Microscope, hope to finish up this weekend.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Roger roger.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

There are a few things to think about / discuss in advance of the first worldbuilding session. One is if we want to set the chronicle in an existing city or make one up; each has its pros and cons. The only constraint is that it shouldn't be set in a city that one player is more familiar with than the others, that can kind of skew things. If you have a particular place in mind that you think would be a great city for Vampire, shout it out. Otherwise we'll make up both the mundane and secret history of an entirely fictional city - just pick the region of the country you'd like to work with as that will have a lot of influence over the local flavor.

The other consideration is if you want other denizens of the CoD to come into play. This can be a pure story about vampires, or we can work some of the other gamelines in as supporting characters. I'm pretty familiar with all of them on the surface and I can make arguments either way, so I leave it the group.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I知 used to the setting being an absolute mess, so I知 fine with garou suplexing demons in the background of a scene while faeries tell riddles to wraiths and whatever else. I recognize that it痴 an easy way for a game to go off the rails, though.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah I'm ok with the other supernatural players in the WoD.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I知 used to the setting being an absolute mess, so I知 fine with garou suplexing demons in the background of a scene while faeries tell riddles to wraiths and whatever else. I recognize that it痴 an easy way for a game to go off the rails, though.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a scale from "no recognizable supernaturals" to "some werewolves outside the city limits, maybe a demon or a few changelings up to trouble, mages underfoot because loving Mages".

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

My preference is token representation of non-focus splats. Less globe-spanning Mage/Wolf Conspiracies, and more local 'weird' players in the supernatural scene. Less Seers of the Throne manipulating politics, more creepy morticians who can use some kind of Auspex on the dead for a price, one-off antagonists, etc.

But I'm flexible!

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Barbed Tongues posted:

My preference is token representation of non-focus splats. Less globe-spanning Mage/Wolf Conspiracies, and more local 'weird' players in the supernatural scene. Less Seers of the Throne manipulating politics, more creepy morticians who can use some kind of Auspex on the dead for a price, one-off antagonists, etc.

But I'm flexible!

Agreed. This is fundamentally a Vampire game so the presence of others will serve that end. Werewolves work great as a reason why you can't take a night trip to the next city over, mages can be a nice resource for when Weird poo poo gets too weird, etc. Demons always bring some God-Machine baggage because, well, they're demons, but the God-Machine is awesome and fundamentally incomprehensible so I don't have a huge problem with it. Having a supernatural Ally/Contact costs extra of course, but if you want that flavor in the game I can certainly roll with it.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Tonight's the night for literal history making - our first worldbuilding session with Microscope! Don't worry about not being familiar with Microscope - it's pretty straightforward and we'll ignore the parts that aren't as useful for worldbuilding. The major things to keep in mind is that it's essentially a game of improv (like any roleplaying game), but with the constraint that you only interact with each other by putting events on the timeline. It wouldn't hurt to have an event or two ready to go, just in case you get blocked when your turn comes, but don't sweat it. Microscope mostly just runs by the Rule of Cool and I think we'll come up with something neat.

As it sounds like no one has a real world city they're proposing, we'll build the history of the fictional city of Newcastle. Newcastle will be in one of the following regions (determined by vote):
  • Atlantic coast
  • Midwest
  • Pacific northwest coast
  • California coast
  • American Southwest
The start date will vary based on region, but the end date for the history will be January 2017, when our chronicle begins.

Barring any objections, let's use the Trad Games Discord for our voice chat needs. If you're not on it, hop on board. We'll be in the "Roll + Voice" channel. Our gamespace in Roll20 is here. PM me your e-mail address for an invite. Any other questions or concerns, let me know, otherwise I'll see you all tonight!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I was thinking about pitching San Diego, so I'll vote for California Coast, with some American Southwest flavor to cover that Alta California feeling.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Barbed Tongues posted:

I was thinking about pitching San Diego, so I'll vote for California Coast, with some American Southwest flavor to cover that Alta California feeling.

San Diego works well, pretty much the definition of the intersection of those two regions without having to set a game in Riverside which, let's face it, no one wants to do. Local politics in a border city starting January 2017 are going to be, well, interesting.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Not sure what happened last night, we had a few absences and so the first worldbuilding has been postponed a week.

In the meantime, it was wisely suggested that we can get started in the thread so let's do just that. The first step in Microscope is drawing up the Palette, a list of qualities/elements we explicitly want our history (and game, in this case) to have or avoid. I'd like everyone to contribute at least (but not limited to) one positive item to the palette, and any negative items they feel would harm the fun of the game. Let's have everyone throw a single Yes vote to begin, then keep going around the group. I'll start:

Yes: Supernatural entities from other CoD games

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

kaynorr posted:

Let's have everyone throw a single Yes vote to begin, then keep going around the group.

Yes: A robust and effusive Cacophony

For those catching up, in Requiem the Cacophony is a masquerade-friendly way for Kindred to communicate. Think social media for vampires. Depending on how you run it, it can be as simple as graffiti tags that stand out to Kindred senses and mark a given hunting ground, all the way to heavily coded facebook posts that seem like fluff to normal folks, but actually impart info from the latest Elysium gathering to those readers with a beast.

I would like to see the Cacophony as an important and regular source of Kindred information and rumor.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
Hey all sorry but I think I'll have to drop out of this; I don't really feel like I'll be able to actively participate enough in this and that wouldn't be fair to the rest of the group.

Good luck being The Damned and all that.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I saw the recruit post in the discord, I am interested and can make a dude.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 28, 2018

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Honestly having a hard time coming up with a definite yes to add. Other supernaturals are already on the list, which I like.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

John Dyne posted:

I saw the recruit post in the discord, I am interested and can make a dude.

Welcome to the chronicle! We're not at character creation yet, currently in the worldbuilding stage coming up with the occult history of San Diego, where we're setting our game (unless you want to offer up a different city for consideration).

Speaking of which, could everyone make another attempt at worldbuilding next Tuesday, July 3rd at 7 PM PST? If folks have holiday travel plans or the like that's cool, I think everyone is also free the day before (Monday). Failing that, we'll try for the week after.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Teusday would be perfect for me next week, though I can also do Monday.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Edit 2: actually, I can only do Monday. Sorry to be so insufferable.

IPlayVideoGames fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 1, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I can do either day.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

That works fine for me. We'll meet Monday, July 2nd, at 7 PM PST for Microscope worldbuilding.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Terrible sorry I will not be able to be available today but if there is something you wish for me to write up as I pour over a book I will. Also sorry for kind of disappearing.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

No session tonight (I knew the short notice was a risk). Could everyone do next Monday?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

No session tonight (I knew the short notice was a risk). Could everyone do next Monday?

that can work for me monday or tuesday

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I知 fine for next Monday or Tuesday.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Tricky Dick Nixon has had to bow out, so if anyone of you have friends who want the open seat, just have them post in the thread or send me a PM.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Reminder: We're starting worldbuilding tonight with the secret history of San Diego. The fun starts at 7 PM PST in roll20 and Discord.

Just to give us a head start, after we establish the Palette (a list of things we do or explicitly do not want to see in the history or the game) we'll take turns adding items to the timeline. You can add one of three things:
  • Period - the broadest element, intended to reflect a long period in the timeline
  • Event - the main building blocks of timelines, think of these as headlines
  • Scene - the smallest elements, scenes are intended to be roleplayed out (with roles distributed on the fly) to answer a specific question, like "Who killed JFK?"
The fifth seat is not yet filled - I'm fine with going forward with four, but we've got an open slot if someone wants to play. Microscope explicitly discourages having people join in mid-way though, so if the worldbuilding goes longer than this week I'll ask any newcomers to sit out until the timeline is complete. They can jump in with coterie/character creation.

Looking forward to starting, thanks to everyone for being patient as we get settled!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I meant to post I will be free tonight for this so oop

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

See you folks tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I've also got a +1 for tonight to try and fill that 5th seat. Will get him in the thread this afternoon.