Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Toronto, Yonge-Dundas Square. Canada's crudbum ripoff of SXSW that's been slowly gaining steam over the years to something not crudbum.

U.S. Girls play the Friday night - that's some good stuff too, drat.

NXNE used to be pretty good. They had a ton of YDS shows that allowed me to see bands for free, like the Flaming Lips, the Stooges, Swans, St. Vincent, Mac DeMarco, Spoon, and a few others that are escaping me. iirc, they got rid of it a few years ago, and seem to be bringing it back this year. Just wish they had a stronger line-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rock the Garden had a decent lineup this year but both me and my other half super dislike Father John Misty so nope. I once saw him referred to as "David Foster Wallace for indie bros" and i think it's a fair assessment (and I actually like David Foster Wallace :v:)

It's also tough to follow up last year when the headliners were The Revolution and Bon Iver

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 9, 2018

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

UnknownMercenary posted:

I missed their show when they stopped by on the tour, so this is kind of appealing but I also don't really wanna hang out there on a Saturday night.

I don't think they've stopped here for the tour yet - they just played Josie Dye's Anniversary Show (ugh) - so they'll probably come back.

For that price point though, I'm willing to tough out possibly being caught in the crossfire of some club bro who thought some other club bro was checking out his lady and decided to shoot wildly into a crowd.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
La Luz played really well last night.

I was a little worried when I didn't see Alice on stage, but it sounds like her dad died, so she won't be playing with them for a few days. :smith:

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

DasNeonLicht posted:

I was a little worried when I didn't see Alice on stage, but it sounds like her dad died, so she won't be playing with them for a few days. :smith:

that sucks. cool you got to see them live though. Coincidentally I've been listening to them this morning while at work.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DasNeonLicht posted:

:smith:

I think they're skipping Chicago, which is weird.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I discovered La Luz when their previous album came out, but they barely went to any FL cities when they toured last time (nowhere within three hours of me). On this tour, they're only coming to Jacksonville (over three hours away), which is already terrible, and on a Wednesday.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Peach Kelli Pop was amazing, and they covered astro zombies and hybrid moments. Honey Cutt was also very good. And fcka baby gave my friends and I free cornbread when we left the venue. Amazing performers. Thrust Club was also very good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I saw Stars tonight, they were absolutely incredible live, what a show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Death Cab!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDb7PhgWM-M

I'm not sold on this! :geno:

Don't like how those vocals are mixed.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
snail mail's debut album came out last week and it owns very much

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

New Death Cab!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDb7PhgWM-M

I'm not sold on this! :geno:

Don't like how those vocals are mixed.

Yeah, those vocals are suitable for like, a prechorus or a bridge, but the entire song? :eng99:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thecluckmeme posted:

Yeah, those vocals are suitable for like, a prechorus or a bridge, but the entire song? :eng99:
They previewed another song too and the vocals were also like that on the other song too :negative:

I'm wondering if the entire album is gonna be like that. If so, hard pass.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
New Dirty Projectors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9__9oOkq2c

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
ew the vibes from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRl5wi8JCnA

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Ugh she's kind of the worst.

Thom and the Heads posted:

snail mail's debut album came out last week and it owns very much

I'm not feeling it, tbh. Some of the lyrics are pretty great but it's not doing anything for me.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
To no one's surprise, the Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever album is good. Shorter than I was expecting though.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Thank you for the reminder.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

The Walrus posted:

uh, the new Presets is really really good on a first listen. Nothing really against Pacifica but this is the followup to Apocolypso I've been waiting for for a decade.

Now if they would just sell the vinyl in north america I could give them my money but I'm not paying 100 bucks to import it from AUS thanks.

I was really let down my their new album (but then I happen to think Pacifica is the best thing they've put out). 14ME+14U, Downtown Shutdown and Martini were pretty good, but the rest of the straight up dance tracks just kinda sound like the stuff the house DJ at my local after hours joint has been playing for ages.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"oh no it isn't 1974 anymore :qq:"

This is from way back but my issue with the no-album phenomenon is not related to any sort of belief in the artistic concept of an album but rather that it makes it really annoying in Spotify to listen to a bunch of songs by one band: instead of just listening though the album (aka a collection of songs), I have to make manual playlists and add the individual tracks (my own "album" if you will). This is annoying because lots of bands do this.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

I went to go see CHVRCHES tonight at the aforementioned NXNE and the dancing beer ad behind the stage brought me so much joy.

https://twitter.com/coreypierceart/status/1008164861518413824

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I don't know why but that style of dancing annoys me to no end for some reason /oldman

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/sad13/status/1008398233410949122?s=19

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I don't care if they go to Berkley or what — college paper journos are just not worth the attention — not from Jon Chait, not from Sadie Dupuis.

I'm posting mobile, where tweets don't embed, but I got excited when I saw that url, because I thought you had posted this far superior Speedy Ortiz tweet (she is so good at Twitter)

https://twitter.com/sad13/status/1008514647199305736

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

People actually show up at door times?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Slandible posted:

It's me, I show up at door time.

I'm a sperg who sees a time and simply must be there by that time even if it's a soft time and it actually kind of sucks to be there all that extra time. This also happens at parties. I guess I was German in a past life. I get paranoid that I won't get a good spot.

Of course since when I drink I constantly have to pee, plus I get tired from standing, so I end up not getting a good spot anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slandible posted:

I show up before door time, but because I have a nerve condition and need to be on the railing for shows. If I'm not, I'm in a ton of pain and might as well not even go because I'm just gonna be miserable the whole time.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Slandible posted:

Usually when there's not a huge amount of openers I'll show up at door time, because it gives me enough time to have a drink and save a spot near the front of the stage before the show starts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I used to be a guy that HAD to maximize the value of a ticket and would show up early for all the openers unless they were really bad. Now that sounds unbearable 90% of the time and I refuse to see more than three bands in a night unless it's some insane package tour.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I also show up at doors. Because I'm a paranoiac

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also holy poo poo Tonstartssbandht is playing in boston tonight.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I try to make doors if I'm invested in the show and able.

I used to try to make doors 100% of the time, but I've tried to be more relaxed about not rushing shows I'm just "checking out" — eat at home, take public transit — get there when I get there.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It all depends on the type of show, I saw Washed Out last week and knew he was booked in a venue that was larger than he could fill and you could walk in pretty late and still have a good view. On the other hand bigger names that sell out you kind of know you need to show up early to get even a half decent area of the crowd.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

DasNeonLicht posted:

I try to make doors if I'm invested in the show and able.

I used to try to make doors 100% of the time, but I've tried to be more relaxed about not rushing shows I'm just "checking out" — eat at home, take public transit — get there when I get there.

I got a lot better about it after my wife convinced me that Spoon wouldn't be starting anywhere near on time and I missed like 80% of their set when they were touring for Kill The Moonlight. :argh:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I was half joking, but interesting seeing when people do show up.

Being over 30 means I hate everyone around me, so I don't need to be up super close, especially at bigger shows. I almost always listen to a few songs of the openers and have found some great bands over the years that way, but generally I skip out on them unless I am really into it. I like to hit the sweet time right as the last opener finishes up and people are heading to the bathroom or bar to snipe out a good spot.

This year nearly every show I have been to was in a small venue and probably at most had 50 people present. It's been great.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjPhzgxe3L0

The smiths are the only band I accept I'm terrible for liking but I can't help it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BIXCmttPnU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Excuse you — The Smiths are brilliant and liking them means you have good taste and are probably a good person

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

DasNeonLicht posted:

Excuse you — The Smiths are brilliant and liking them means you have good taste and are probably a good person

Why thank you, please enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJRP3LRcUFg

ps - I misread your post earlier (sorry)

Jippa fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
Morrissey is a bad person.