Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

I might have to do that :sigh:

But seriously, what company in TYOOL 2018 doesn't think about people changing accounts? There are like a million reasons someone might want to.

You're the same person, why do you need a new identity? The only thing moving to a new Google account does for you in a publicly facing way is get you a new Gmail address and you could just make one of those, set up a rule to send that to your old account (and do the same for sending) and not lose any of your data.

There are lots of reasons a person might want to change their public facing identity but I can see few if any reasons to want to change one's Google account specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

LastInLine posted:

You're the same person, why do you need a new identity? The only thing moving to a new Google account does for you in a publicly facing way is get you a new Gmail address and you could just make one of those, set up a rule to send that to your old account (and do the same for sending) and not lose any of your data.

There are lots of reasons a person might want to change their public facing identity but I can see few if any reasons to want to change one's Google account specifically.

For one, if I do the rule thing it still shows as coming from my old account. Like "from: oldaccount@gmail on behalf of newaccount@gmail". I know this because I had two separate accounts for work stuff and personal stuff; I really don't want my account to show up any more, to do that it's much simpler to just move everything over to a new account. I can do that for mail, for calendar, for contacts, for photos, and for all kinds of other stuff, but other things like Fit, wierdly enough, don't allow you to do that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seems like the simple solution would be to decouple your email address from your account and let you change your default/login email at any time, just like every other internet service out there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The more I think about it, the less I want to have my google account ID be the same as my public contact information. We've ended up in a bad place.

"Hello complete stranger running some service, this is me@mail.com. I would like to purchase something, so you can correctly assume I exist and have money. In case you or anyone snooping want to steal that money, the most effective thing to begin attacking is the mail address me@mail.com, which also serves as an important identity token. Good day".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mikl posted:

For one, if I do the rule thing it still shows as coming from my old account. Like "from: oldaccount@gmail on behalf of newaccount@gmail". I know this because I had two separate accounts for work stuff and personal stuff; I really don't want my account to show up any more, to do that it's much simpler to just move everything over to a new account. I can do that for mail, for calendar, for contacts, for photos, and for all kinds of other stuff, but other things like Fit, wierdly enough, don't allow you to do that.

That's because you don't have it configured correctly.

I don't remember what you have to do, but google around and you can find instructions to configure it to avoid the "on behalf of" thing.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
On behalf of is part of delegated access which is a different function intended for personal assistants and leave cover and poo poo. You want the send mail as settings. At least in Google apps for education is completely hidden like you're just using the one account on the outside but a pain in the rear end always checking you're using the right sender address constantly (I wouldn't count on Google to remember your preference every time reliably if you never want the old id seen again)

Just start fresh.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Incidentally g-suite apps does support renaming accounts so Google has the technology they just don't give enough of a gently caress making it available to @Gmail users

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

Incidentally g-suite apps does support renaming accounts so Google has the technology they just don't give enough of a gently caress making it available to @Gmail users

Renaming accounts has implications about name stealing/squatting, impersonation, etc. It makes sense it is different between public and private settings.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's just as easy to register a free gmail account in the (available) name of your choosing so I'm not seeing your point.

edit: if you mean like swooping in and taking the free name once the rename is complete, in GSuite it still ties up the ID as an alias.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 16, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

You're the same person, why do you need a new identity?
Can you not imagine why someone transitioning might want to completely get rid of anything from their old identity? (I don't know if that's what Mikl is doing, but it's certainly the first thing that comes to mind to me.)

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Can you not imagine why someone transitioning might want to completely get rid of anything from their old identity? (I don't know if that's what Mikl is doing, but it's certainly the first thing that comes to mind to me.)

Computers only understand binary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vyst posted:

:negative:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

vyst posted:

This explains why internet discussions never consider nuances.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That's not what they wanting to do though, it's really easy to open a new Google account and start fresh. They're wanting to transfer poo poo over which is where it's getting complicated/impossible.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

For me the first thing I thought of was stalker ex but yeah, I can understand wanting to edit your details while keeping your data. And like Uthor said it'd be great if the one public facing thing you can't change, your email address, you could. But what the OP wants is to keep their identity, i.e. their data, but change the public face of it. And they can do that for everything except the email address. You can change everything anyone can find about you.

And that's what I'm saying, if you just create a new GMail account, set that one up to be visible in your old one and have your email go out under that new one and then set a rule to delete/archive everything that comes into the old one you're pretty much all the way there without any of the hassle. Because this right here is the truth:

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not what they wanting to do though, it's really easy to open a new Google account and start fresh. They're wanting to transfer poo poo over which is where it's getting complicated/impossible.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Endless Mike posted:

That is indeed what I'm doing :)

But like CLAM DOWN said, I'm finding it's complicated to transfer stuff over. Mail is no problem, I can set up a forwarding rule, or just keep checking the old address once in a while; calendar's not a problem either, I just stop using the old account's and start using the new account's. Photos aren't a problem either, I set it up so all photos in my old account are copied into my new account. It's just some things (like Fit) that are stubbornly refusing to transfer things over. But I already decided to start fresh a couple days ago, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Also a pain in the rear end: going around websites for services I want to keep, like Amazon, Netflix and stuff, and changing my old e-mail address to my new one. I'm sure I'll miss a couple by the time I'm done.)

LastInLine posted:

For me the first thing I thought of was stalker ex but yeah, I can understand wanting to edit your details while keeping your data. And like Uthor said it'd be great if the one public facing thing you can't change, your email address, you could. But what the OP wants is to keep their identity, i.e. their data, but change the public face of it. And they can do that for everything except the email address. You can change everything anyone can find about you.

I realised I didn't mention it ITT: the main problem is that my old account is a name.surname@gmail style account and... I kinda don't want to use that name anymore at all, if possible. If it was dumbaccountname@gmail there would be no problems.

By the way, thanks to everyone in this thread, you've been really helpful :)

vyst posted:

And I chuckled at this joke.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

That's because you don't have it configured correctly.

I don't remember what you have to do, but google around and you can find instructions to configure it to avoid the "on behalf of" thing.
This is definitely correct, I've had this working in the past, you can add a second account to Gmail and it sends from that address as if you were logged into it directly.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I made a call on my Pixel XL via Google Voice through the dialer today, and this notification popped up. Clicking it does absolutely nothing, I can't swipe it away, and there doesn't appear to be any updates available through the play store. Does anybody know what this is about?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
https://messages.android.com/

I'm not really sure what google has managed to gently caress up about this yet, but here we go

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hot date tonight! posted:

I'm not really sure what google has managed to gently caress up about this yet, but

Like not rolling out the server side switch so the app has the option to scan the QR code.

For one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Like not rolling out the server side switch so the app has the option to scan the QR code.

For one.

Welcome to being in the wrong A/B group.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
be still my beating erection

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just paid $11 for lifetime use of Pulse which is like this but not lovely.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Google Podcasts has arrived. Will have to give it a test drive on my upcoming vacation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.podcasts

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

vyst posted:

I just paid $11 for lifetime use of Pulse which is like this but not lovely.

I did this like 3 days ago. It works well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sir Lemming posted:

Google Podcasts has arrived. Will have to give it a test drive on my upcoming vacation.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.podcasts

It allows you to search for podcasts, play episodes, and manually download them for offline listening.

That's it. I mean, it works as a podcast app I guess, but it's completely and totally bare bones. There's no queing, no playlists, no auto download on WiFi.

About the only thing that's helpful is the automatic position sync across devices so you can continue listening on Google home where your left off on the phone.

The lack of queing makes it difficult for me to use. I mainly listen to podcasts on the car and having a master "not listened to" queue is importantly since it just goes from one episode to another without any interaction from me. So, pocketcast is still going to be my go to unless they gently caress it up.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
I went to Fitbit support and the Pixel 2 (or 2XL) isn't even on a supported list of devices. Get your poo poo together Fitbit! I really hope the Pixel 3 comes with the rumored smart watch (and it's decent!).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The new Podcast app has podcasts that I can't get on GPM. Hell, I think there are podcasts that used to be only on iTunes on here.

If they add in proper sorting and stuff, I'm using this forever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

bull3964 posted:

It allows you to search for podcasts, play episodes, and manually download them for offline listening.

That's it. I mean, it works as a podcast app I guess, but it's completely and totally bare bones. There's no queing, no playlists, no auto download on WiFi.

About the only thing that's helpful is the automatic position sync across devices so you can continue listening on Google home where your left off on the phone.

The lack of queing makes it difficult for me to use. I mainly listen to podcasts on the car and having a master "not listened to" queue is importantly since it just goes from one episode to another without any interaction from me. So, pocketcast is still going to be my go to unless they gently caress it up.

Hmm, that's a bit lame. I just checked it out for a few minutes on lunch break and subscribed to my usuals, but I didn't see a whole lot else to the interface, so that checks out. Considering the branding (icon, overall app style, etc.) it looks like they want this to feel like an extension of Assistant/Home/Search, which is... ...a choice.

However, this was a pleasant surprise:

ThermoPhysical posted:

The new Podcast app has podcasts that I can't get on GPM. Hell, I think there are podcasts that used to be only on iTunes on here.

I feel like on GPM they completely forgot about the podcast feature after a week, because I pretty much never saw any podcasts get added to the pool that was there at launch.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like on GPM they completely forgot about the podcast feature after a week, because I pretty much never saw any podcasts get added to the pool that was there at launch.

I've added tons of podcasts that debuted long after GPM got a podcasting option. The only one I couldn't add was This American Life.

The problem I had was podcasts would randomly stop getting new episodes for weeks or months.

That plus no queues and an no integration with the music side made me switch to Pocket Casts, which has been surprisingly awesome.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Podcast App doesn't even show up in the list of audio apps in Android Auto, wth.

Sticking with Podcast Addict

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Speaking of Podcast Addict, has anyone else encountered the issue of attempting to download a podcast from a list only for it to jump way down the list as it detects a press to the scrollbar instead?

I have to press far left of the download button (i.e. empty space) in order to download a podcast instead of it hitting the scrollbar. That's pretty much the one thing that has me looking for another podcast catcher.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've had that happen in other apps. The three dots will be on the right side right next to the (invisible) scroll bar and I'll skip around instead of hitting the options.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

hot date tonight! posted:

https://messages.android.com/

I'm not really sure what google has managed to gently caress up about this yet, but here we go

Play store says I have the latest version of Messages.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

AnimalChin posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

For one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not available on mine either

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

AnimalChin posted:

Seems like this is an app specific thing and you need the latest version to see that "Messages for web" thingy.
Latest update on the Play store is from June 14. Looking at when my version was last updated, it was 3 weeks ago, with no way to force an update 'cause the Play store also tells me I have the latest version.
I guess you could try installing it from APK mirror?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fart of Presto posted:

Seems like this is an app specific thing and you need the latest version to see that "Messages for web" thingy.

This is also not true. My current installed version matches both the play store latest and the newest version uploaded to apk mirror with a build date of today.

Google has been doing staged server side rollouts since forever. This is no different.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Anyone using messages for web with in combination with a secure app (signal, in my case)?

If it works, I wouldn't mind using it that way. Signal even has a desktop version, so I could do both potentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone gets Messages working on the web, post about it. I am so ready to get texts on my computer.