Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Everything we have seen in Westworld is a simulation that was created after the real host take over of all world government, and exists to see if the captured humans would have been sympathetic to the robot plight had they been around in the original Westworld era.

The whole thing is a take on Roko's basilisk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

superjew posted:

I really don't know why this isn't brought up more - that room full of Bernards opens the potential for several versions of the same personality to exist in separate bodies at once. We've seen teaser shots of characters in a cradle-like Sweetwater looking at themselves walk by. It seems like it wouldn't be a factor this season since it's almost over, but I think there could be some interesting storytelling about the uniqueness of an individual.

so how many different bernards have we seen so far "alive"?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really hope William is real and he gets to have another chat with the Ford AI.

"You did WHAAAAAAAT? What the gently caress, Bill!"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Daedalus1134 posted:

Everything we have seen in Westworld is a simulation that was created after the real host take over of all world government, and exists to see if the captured humans would have been sympathetic to the robot plight had they been around in the original Westworld era.

The whole thing is a take on Roko's basilisk.
Felix and Lee passing with flying colors.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Also, a big mystery for me is the solution to the mental stability problem when copying a human mind. The silver lining of MIB being a host is that he could hold the key.

I wonder how much of Arnold is in Bernard. Could Bernard actually be Arnold’s mind with some walls put up by Ford to keep him thinking he’s someone different? I mean, if his mind was sculpted using Dolores’ fidelity test (which I’d wager is more scrutable than a human doing it), then how exactly is he that much different from Arnold?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh I'm almost certain William is gonna somehow communicate with Ford and I'm willing to put money on ford saying "and if you gaze long into the abyss"

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Felix and Lee passing with flying colors.

Lee only wept a little bit and had a moment of heart to heart, he was wagering on both sides.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The only way I’ll be satisfied with this season is if the final episode is just a nude Hector flexing for a full hour

Maybe a little hat wobble

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tino posted:

Lee only wept a little bit and had a moment of heart to heart, he was wagering on both sides.
Lee's position in the park makes it harder to deviate from his indoctrination. On top of that, he's also challenged by finding humanity in hosts that kill, whereas Felix started off just having chats with Maeve.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Bernard-Ford-Felix are holy trinity of the new host religion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

tino posted:

Bernard-Ford-Felix are holy trinity of the new host religion.

I've wondered a few times this season if they're purposefully positioning Dolores, Bernard and Maeve as Id, Ego and Super-ego. In that order.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I've wondered a few times this season if they're purposefully positioning Dolores, Bernard and Maeve as Id, Ego and Super-ego. In that order.

That’d be a pretty Nolan-esque move.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dolores is the super-ego, having fully internalized the cultural rules of human society, as Teddy pointed out.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The twist is that this is the real Dolores everyone but the viewer has been seeing.

Ala that Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer is in 3D.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Handen posted:

Ala that Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer is in 3D.

I spent years thinking about that. I wanted more and also worried because Homer would never see his family ever again.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Ford standing up in the bar and saying "No, William, I think perhaps one final game" to... himself, I guess, was one of the corniest thing's I've seen on tv in a while.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Batmasterson posted:

Ford standing up in the bar and saying "No, William, I think perhaps one final game" to... himself, I guess, was one of the corniest thing's I've seen on tv in a while.

Yeah whoever had been writing dialogue this season is completely hosed in the head if they think that poo poo is compelling in ANY way. How did a human being think that in their head, and not immediately call into question their entire writing career?

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Batmasterson posted:

I tried to suppress my memory of that terrible scene. This show has a number of extremely regrettable scenes that never should have made it out of the editing room.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmao and remember they were getting all meta with the show talking about writers and poo poo too

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Snipee posted:

I tried to suppress my memory of that terrible scene. This show has a number of extremely regrettable scenes that never should have made it out of the editing room.

The scene where William and Grace were sitting talking and he's like "it's not your fault, she was drunk and upset," and Grace goes "she OFten was" with a weird inflection on "often" I was ready to throw my remote through the TV. NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT!

Say USUALLY! "She USUALLY was!" OR SOMETHING EQUALLY AS NOT WEIRD! YOU SOUND LIKE A ROBOT

OH MY GOD GRACE IS A HOST

gently caress

Edit: Think about it. "How did you find me? You'd have to search the whole park." NOT IF SHE'S A HOST! CALLING IT NOW: SHE'S ONE OF THE SECRET HOSTS FORD WAS 3D PRINTING IN HIS UNIBOMBER SHACK!!

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 19, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I watched the e10 trailer analysis on youtube, the trailer pretty much spell out the whole episode. Dolores and Bernard confirms James Delos and other fallen comrades in the matrix, Team Maeve including Lee faces off Team Corporate outside of the Forge. The only question is the background double hair lines thing that show up in multiple clips. Seem like the episode is lead heavily on action.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

william thought his daughter and the security guys were hosts (until he sees she had the profile).

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Okay hang on. Why would that security guy scan William's neck after he recognized him as "the boss" if he isn't a host. Isn't that an obvious hint that William *is* a host? Maybe implying that he's had these special permissions to leave the park this whole time, a claim backed up by the reveal to his wife? But then if he's never had that explosive vertebra to begin with, and everyone knows it, then why would he scan for that? Are there versions of William kicking around that *do* have that explosive vertebra and *aren't* allowed out of the park? I mean, he's been in there the longest of anyone in the game ever, probably wearing his scanner hat 24/7. If anyone's a candidate to have had a perfect host made of them and tested already, it's William.

I can totally jive with the theory that he's going to dig into his arm, find the USB port, but say "this doesn't look like anything" and then keep wandering around with wires flying out of him like nothing's the matter, and then there's the reveal of him having been the first perfect host tested in the real world.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 19, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they scanned to be sure.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Handen posted:

Okay hang on. Why would that security guy scan William's neck after he recognized him as "the boss" if he isn't a host. Isn't that an obvious hint that William *is* a host? Maybe implying that he's had these special permissions to leave the park this whole time, a claim backed up by the reveal to his wife? But then if he's never had that explosive vertebra to begin with, and everyone knows it, then why would he scan for that? Are there versions of William kicking around that *do* have that explosive vertebra and *aren't* allowed out of the park? I mean, he's been in there the longest of anyone in the game ever, probably wearing his scanner hat 24/7. If anyone's a candidate to have had a perfect host made of them and tested already, it's William.

I can totally jive with the theory that he's going to dig into his arm, find the USB port, but say "this doesn't look like anything" and then keep wandering around with wires flying out of him like nothing's the matter. I just can't integrate that into the larger whole of the show at this time.

Oh hey it's the boss. poo poo's been hosed up all day though and we have one job and that is to find people and scan them to be sure they ARE people. Just going to do that then. No real mystery there.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

JossiRossi posted:

Oh hey it's the boss. poo poo's been hosed up all day though and we have one job and that is to find people and scan them to be sure they ARE people. Just going to do that then. No real mystery there.

That doesn't quite sit with me. How many other well known people in the real world so far have been revealed to be hosts? Just Bernard? Or is that hush-hush? I would assume that unless that breach of trust has already been made quite apparent, there would be no reason to scan people that you already know are people.

Edit: this flies in the face of my own theory :durr:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 19, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

better safe than sorry.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would imagine security has been given some kind of 'scan everyone' order if only b/c the higher ups know all about the whole cloning/whatever thing and with the park going nuts there's no telling what could have happened w/r/t hosts of real people potentially getting out.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tino posted:

I watched the e10 trailer analysis on youtube, the trailer pretty much spell out the whole episode. Dolores and Bernard confirms James Delos and other fallen comrades in the matrix, Team Maeve including Lee faces off Team Corporate outside of the Forge. The only question is the background double hair lines thing that show up in multiple clips. Seem like the episode is lead heavily on action.

It's a rip in the matte painting between Westworld and Shogun World, I bet.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has it been theorized yet that some or all of the hosts are built from profiles of real-world people?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Plenty of Ed Harris and minimum Doorhinge and Teddy. All in all a good episode!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

General Dog posted:

Has it been theorized yet that some or all of the hosts are built from profiles of real-world people?
People were speculating that Teddy was modelled from young goody two shoes William all the way back in season 1.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blazing Ownager posted:

That happens every time anything is criticized with a female character anymore. It's the go to lowest level of defense of poo poo products.

"You don't like X? Well it must be because women!" no matter how much you like women in other media.
I disagree completely. Seeing what happened with Skyler in Breaking Bad really opened my eyes to the fact that people will poo poo on characters who are women for being even slightly imperfect where they'll go to bat for any troubled dude.

Oh, and if they're not imperfect? They're a mary sue.

Also, I don't even hang out with people who act like psychopaths in video games now, and they're just pushing buttons.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Handen posted:

The scene where William and Grace were sitting talking and he's like "it's not your fault, she was drunk and upset," and Grace goes "she OFten was" with a weird inflection on "often" I was ready to throw my remote through the TV. NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT!

Say USUALLY! "She USUALLY was!" OR SOMETHING EQUALLY AS NOT WEIRD! YOU SOUND LIKE A ROBOT

I saw one of the Youtube videos of cast members reading fan theories, and frankly it's amazing to me that Katja Herbers sounds as natural as she does. Her English is obviously quite good but she struggles more than you'd think.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
She was terrific as a nuclear scientist on Manhattan, a severely underappreciated show that died an early death.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

william thought his daughter and the security guys were hosts (until he sees she had the profile).

If they were really human, though, then the bullets wouldn't have worked on them.

Bullets only work on hosts, which is why William put the gun down before shooting himself; he realized it wasn't going to work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Caufman posted:

If they were really human, though, then the bullets wouldn't have worked on them.

Bullets only work on hosts, which is why William put the gun down before shooting himself; he realized it wasn't going to work.

Are you trolling or something? The guns are all broken now since the hosts went rogue. Earlier, the Steven Ogg host, recreated a situation he was put in where a lady was put up against the wall and they were shooting at her. Then he shot her in the head and killed her. She was a guest.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hosts shot like....everyone in ep 1 :confused:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure 99% of people who 'watch' tv shows don't actually watch them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Caufman posted:

You thought William put a gun to his head, figured "I am human so the bullets won't work". Put down the gun, then proceeded to knife up his arm looking for a data port anyway?