Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Is anyone else getting lots of "this tab crashed" and occasional full browser crashes since upgrading to 60(.0.1)? I'm on Linux, and have no add-ons, but lots of CSS/about:config tweaks that I'm not looking forward to troubleshooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Klyith posted:

Dunno how to unfuck your >> situation. (maybe restore defaults in the customize ui?)

This worked! Thanks, I would have never thought to try that, since what I did try is removing the buttons and then putting them back.

quote:

but when you get it fixed, the better way to have unlabeled icons in your bookmarks bar is to paste this [...] in your userchrome.css

I've done this, too.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have an annoying issue. I have seven folders in my bookmarks. Yet, when I bookmark a new page, I can only choose between three of those folders. For now, I just put the bookmark in "Other Bookmarks" and then move it to the folder I want it to be in. Any idea what is happening? The three folders that do show up are folders that I've had for years, while the others are relatively new, so I suspect that a software update has something to do with this.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Knormal posted:

Is anyone else getting lots of "this tab crashed" and occasional full browser crashes since upgrading to 60(.0.1)? I'm on Linux, and have no add-ons, but lots of CSS/about :config tweaks that I'm not looking forward to troubleshooting.

I'm not getting any on Android, and I'm pretty sure I've seen that dialog in the Android app a few times over the years. The only tweak/addon I have is a standard install of uBlock though, so I'm probably not the most useful person to compare with.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm not getting any on Android, and I'm pretty sure I've seen that dialog in the Android app a few times over the years. The only tweak/addon I have is a standard install of uBlock though, so I'm probably not the most useful person to compare with.
Weirdly this seems to have gone away over the past few days, even though there hasn't been an update. Unless some third-party update like a graphics driver did something, but it didn't feel like that kind of problem.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just switched back to Firefox from Chrome. Firefox containers is cool, but is there no way to sync container settings without downloading some addon that may or may not sell all my poo poo to advertisers?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm now down to only two legacy extensions that I haven't managed to replace. Does anyone have any suggestions for:

Download manager tweak: I used this mainly to move the download window into a tab that I could leave open
hxxp: made URLs like hxxp://blah.com clickable (without sending a referrer)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Lum posted:

I'm now down to only two legacy extensions that I haven't managed to replace. Does anyone have any suggestions for:

Download manager tweak: I used this mainly to move the download window into a tab that I could leave open

For the latter Firefox now has functionality built-in to recognize URL-like strings (like the "blah.com" part of your example) when you select them and offer to "Open Link" in the right-click menu. It's not quite as convenient as making them clickable but you might find it good enough.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've got a small problem. Embedded images from Imgur, when you right click -> View Image the first time, will take you to the page the image is hosted on. But if you do it a second time, it will take you to the source.

I would rather it take me to the source the first time. In fact it used to do that before the big change a while back. How do I go about fixing this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've got a small problem. Embedded images from Imgur, when you right click -> View Image the first time, will take you to the page the image is hosted on. But if you do it a second time, it will take you to the source.

I would rather it take me to the source the first time. In fact it used to do that before the big change a while back. How do I go about fixing this?

I think it depends on how it's embedded. It it's in img-tags on this forum, old school style, it will go straight to the image first time. But if it's using the imgur embed code, it's wrapped in javascript and the view image code doesn't have direct access to the image url in the same way. There are many sites that have similar things. There's no quick setting to make it work like you want, but it's probably possible to write a plugin or rewrite the view image code to find the image url.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Imgur also does some lovely redirect stuff to try and get more people to use the site's social features, probably in a desperate attempt at being less of a money sink by being able to show ads or sell subscriptions.

Lum posted:

Text Link can do that, not sure about the referer part though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Geemer posted:

Imgur also does some lovely redirect stuff to try and get more people to use the site's social features, probably in a desperate attempt at being less of a money sink by being able to show ads or sell subscriptions.

Text Link can do that, not sure about the referer part though.

Imgur ran into the Reddit problem, only much slower.

But that's a topic for elsewhere.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm using the Redirector addon to turn one type of url into another through the power of regex (provided all the necessary unique identifiers are present in the original url). Might work for the imgur poo poo as well, I don't know. The implication is that you'd never be able to visit the type of page you're redirecting from though.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Has there been any progress on unfucking the security clusterfuck when they went to webex? To wit: Pre webex, you could tie directly into the FF login identification and pull from your own database instead. This blocked a lot of javascript injection attacks against various chrome hackarounds that never had this low-level access.

More importantly, you could also save new passwords to your manager directly from FF, which was a godsend. Create a random password that you never even see, it auto-pastes to the confirmation, and done.

I'm back to using a generic 'random web forum' password 12345 because it's way the gently caress too much effort to tab over to keepass, create a new password, try to figure out what URL the lovely forum is using to login, saving, then pasting it back into FF.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Harik posted:

Has there been any progress on unfucking the security clusterfuck when they went to webex? To wit: Pre webex, you could tie directly into the FF login identification and pull from your own database instead. This blocked a lot of javascript injection attacks against various chrome hackarounds that never had this low-level access.

More importantly, you could also save new passwords to your manager directly from FF, which was a godsend. Create a random password that you never even see, it auto-pastes to the confirmation, and done.

I'm back to using a generic 'random web forum' password 12345 because it's way the gently caress too much effort to tab over to keepass, create a new password, try to figure out what URL the lovely forum is using to login, saving, then pasting it back into FF.

Just use Kee with Keepass. You fill the URL entry with 'somethingawful.com' and it doesn't care if you are on 'login.somethingawful.com' or 'forums.somethingawful.com' or whatever. It will auto-fill your login field without any worry.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nalin posted:

Just use Kee with Keepass. You fill the URL entry with 'somethingawful.com' and it doesn't care if you are on 'login.somethingawful.com' or 'forums.somethingawful.com' or whatever. It will auto-fill your login field without any worry.

That works, but man is it fragile on linux. Matched set of mono + keeRPC version + keepass2 and hope nothing breaks the balance.

Not a huge fan of how cumbersome 'generate a password for this site' is though, it should be a one-step and it's still back&forth.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

iospace posted:

Imgur ran into the Reddit problem, only much slower.

Whats the short version of what that is?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Either what happens when you have a community of thousands of creepy paedophiles and libertarians* or how to find a way to make money off an image host and not go bankrupt from the crazy bandwith usage.

* but I repeat myself

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There are imgur alternatives:

https://imgbb.com/

https://postimages.org/

Once those are run into the ground, some new ones will probably appear.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lum posted:

Add a bookmark for about :downloads?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FRINGE posted:

Whats the short version of what that is?

Pretty much a hivemind a scum and villany, read bigotry everywhere and concern trolling.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know of some more advanced troublshooting to figure out why the entirety of my Firefox slows to a dead crawl for minutes at a time while Edge is completely unaffected? I trimmed myself from like 50 tabs down to 12 and it's still taking up a fuckton of ram and CPU? I left the about :Performance tab running and it claims everything is running well:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone know of some more advanced troublshooting to figure out why the entirety of my Firefox slows to a dead crawl for minutes at a time while Edge is completely unaffected? I trimmed myself from like 50 tabs down to 12 and it's still taking up a fuckton of ram and CPU? I left the about :Performance tab running and it claims everything is running well:

Right click the process in question and select "Go to details". Find the PID of the Firefox.exe instance that is super bloated.

Then, go to about :memory and click the "Measure" button. Click the little blue arrow to jump to each PID until you find the bloated one. Look around and see if anything is out of place.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Who made these gross black and blue file icons for v60+?

they look like poo poo next to normal icons

programmers, keep your gooncave "night mode" UI features to yourselves.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
When did Firefox finally fix its font rendering? I go away for a few versions and suddenly it looks just like other browsers instead of weird and broken

Because they fixed it, and my group of friends tied to Hangouts has moved to Telegram, Im actually thinking about moving back.

If I was to use Firefox mobile, is there anyway to remove the tab bar? its got both a bar and a button like chrome so Im not sure why both have to exist, and on the phone the button is the better UI/UX

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Arcon posted:

When did Firefox finally fix its font rendering? I go away for a few versions and suddenly it looks just like other browsers instead of weird and broken

Because they fixed it, and my group of friends tied to Hangouts has moved to Telegram, Im actually thinking about moving back.

If I was to use Firefox mobile, is there anyway to remove the tab bar? its got both a bar and a button like chrome so Im not sure why both have to exist, and on the phone the button is the better UI/UX

Not sure what you're talking about with the tab bar, Firefox looks exactly the same as Chrome on my phone. Did you hack your device so apps treat it like a tablet when selecting a UI layout? That might do it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

Add a bookmark for about :downloads?

Well poo poo, that actually works!

Are there any add-ons that add back the extra buttons? That one added, retry, stop, delete etc as buttons which was quite nice (and I forgot wen't standard!)

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

Not sure what you're talking about with the tab bar, Firefox looks exactly the same as Chrome on my phone. Did you hack your device so apps treat it like a tablet when selecting a UI layout? That might do it.

nah, used a fresh install on a stock Pixel 2 XL.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'm fairly sure it's based on how many pixels u got.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
1 pixel too many tbh

Less important, but annoying in context: It also doesn't have the native dark theme, and the not-Personas still arent great so... This wasnt a deal breaker, because Chrome is also all white, but hey, if I'm making a list :v:

So, Ill probably stick to mobile chrome, but move to desktop firefox. Syncing between devices is nice but its not a feature I use too often. Maybe in a few versions theyll sort some of the final pain points out.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

You could also look at Firefox Focus for Android, which is more privacy-focused and has some different UI decisions.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never use more than one tab on any mobile browser, so Firefox Focus is my preferred browser.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

jokes posted:

I never use more than one tab on any mobile browser, so Firefox Focus is my preferred browser.

I want to say they added some out-of-the-way multi-tab support in Focus too.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So I'm on 60.0.0.2 with uBlock Origin 1.16.10 and twitter videos (or embedded on this site) just wont play. I can see the preview frame, but it goes white when I hit play. Disabling uBlock makes no difference :/

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dud root posted:

So I'm on 60.0.0.2 with uBlock Origin 1.16.10 and twitter videos (or embedded on this site) just wont play. I can see the preview frame, but it goes white when I hit play. Disabling uBlock makes no difference :/

Sounds like another extension, or possibly Firefox's native tracking protection (which doesn't give you the option to only take ad-blocking and not social blocking on general-purpose computers, like Firefox Focus does on phones). It might help if you currently have it at Strict and turn it down to Basic?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Have you enabled tracking protection? Click the little shield in your URL bar and see if it's blocking stuff. Tracking protection and Twitter embeds don't mix.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lum posted:

Well poo poo, that actually works!

Are there any add-ons that add back the extra buttons? That one added, retry, stop, delete etc as buttons which was quite nice (and I forgot wen't standard!)
Last time I looked into it, maybe a month ago, there still was no way to actually add anything to the UI, so I'm guessing no.

Arcon posted:

nah, used a fresh install on a stock Pixel 2 XL.

Pixel 2 XL counts as a tablet according to Android's UI definition, from what I remember

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

Pixel 2 XL counts as a tablet according to Android's UI definition, from what I remember

The specific problem is that when changing the UI scale to the smallest setting, the Pixel XL reports the width as 480dp. Firefox uses the tablet UI at resolutions >= 480dp.

The workaround is to enable your developer options and set the "Minimum width" to 479dp.

Firefox should probably enable tablet mode on something more sensible like 600dp, but I don't think anybody has ever reported this issue to Bugzilla before.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

dud root posted:

I just went through this. Try clearing your cookies and cache. I tried playing with the CSP stuff the internet says was blocking it and even in FF's Safe Mode nothing worked. Popped the link open in private browsing and it worked, then clearing cache fixed it for main browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

I have an annoying issue. I have seven folders in my bookmarks. Yet, when I bookmark a new page, I can only choose between three of those folders. For now, I just put the bookmark in "Other Bookmarks" and then move it to the folder I want it to be in. Any idea what is happening? The three folders that do show up are folders that I've had for years, while the others are relatively new, so I suspect that a software update has something to do with this.

Help?