Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Mega Garchomp looks fine.

Isn't Mega Garchomp somewhat inspired by Gigan? It would be so much cooler with a giant belly saw.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
I'm one of those people who started Pokemon with Go then got into the main games. Bought a 3DS for X, then Alpha Sapphire, Moon, Ultra Sun, almost done with Leaf Green and playing through Platinum now.

All of that as backstory to this; gently caress Fantina's Mismagius. I've wiped 4 times to her already, but here's the team I'm working on now.

Monferno 30
Staravia 28
Luxio 27
Zubat 20
Gastly 20
Togepi 15

Plan is to push rest of the top 3 to 30 and get Zubat high as I can then give it another go. After Sun and Moon it's honestly refreshing to hit a challenge like this.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Become a better friend to your Zubat and Togepi.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

You can easily have a Crobat by Gardenia and it's great

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Holy poo poo that's a big Psybeam weakness you've got there. Mismiagius can't be cheesed like Gengar in HGSS since it has actual useful moves instead of Sucker Punch. Her Mismagius is exactly the same as the one from DP, but facing it that early in the game is a bit mean. Staravia could definitely use a couple of levels, since it's got the best matchup against it.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Should also point out you'll have type redundancy through Togepi and Staravia (along with their evolutions) as they're both Norma(+l/Flying after evolution). Normal is useful for its immunity and they differ in attacking prowess, but it's something to consider for later on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Golden Gael posted:

Should also point out you'll have type redundancy through Togepi and Staravia (along with their evolutions) as they're both Norma(+l/Flying after evolution). Normal is useful for its immunity and they differ in attacking prowess, but it's something to consider for later on.

Eh, they have wildly different attacking types at least. Staraptor owns in Platinum because it gets everything it needs via level-up except Return. Togekiss is a TM hungry jerk but has a pretty wide variety of attacks it can learn.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I bought Moon when it launched and got sidetracked after about 15 hours into it. I'm going to restart it, but should I go ahead and get ultra moon (or sun) and just start there? I'm not a hard core player at all, in fact I just want to get through the story line and was also wondering whats the best guide available to do that quickly.

Also I got sucked back into pokemon go, thus the desire to play again! Also I read the OP and am very excited 2nd gen is now available, I loved playing Blue again.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Nitramster posted:

So I bought Moon when it launched and got sidetracked after about 15 hours into it. I'm going to restart it, but should I go ahead and get ultra moon (or sun) and just start there? I'm not a hard core player at all, in fact I just want to get through the story line and was also wondering whats the best guide available to do that quickly.

Also I got sucked back into pokemon go, thus the desire to play again! Also I read the OP and am very excited 2nd gen is now available, I loved playing Blue again.

If all you're gonna do is play through the story, why spend more money when you haven't finished Moon yet? Also nobody could possibly need a guide to play through the story of a modern Pokemon game.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Well I'm going to do more than that afterwards probably. I like to go around and complete the pokedex as much as I can. I guess I'll play through this story and see if I stick with it then go to ultra later.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I wouldn't bother with Ultra at this point, if you already own moon. You can collect the extra beasts by trading after you buy a gen 8 game.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I mean unless you want to play with extra end game stuff before gen8, which is still at least a year away if not further.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The ultras have slightly better pacing (brisker tutorials and less talky cutscenes), and I might be off on this but think the level curve has also been adjusted to account for xp share. And it fixes some dumb stuff like not getting vikavolt/crab brawler until just before the elite four and early move tutors. Better post game, too.

Whether that’s worth another purchase is up to you but I did find it the better experience.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The move tutors and easy access to BP via surfing are almost worth the price of admission by themselves.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Does anyone have a spare Porygon2 or a Porygon holding an Upgrade Disc they could part ways with? I'm specifically looking for one with HA Analytic for my Battle Tree team.

If its shiny that'd be a big bonus (and I'd trade one of my shinies for it!) but I'm not holding out for that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I miiiight have HA Porygons? The only way to get them is from the B2/W2 Dream Radar.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Well if you have one you can part ways with don't be a stranger!

Friend Code is 0774 - 4864 - 2707

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Avalerion posted:

Better post game, too.

You call removing the Looker quest "better"?

In the game where they introduced other Ultra Beast worlds that would've made it a lot more memorableif we had to go through Ultra Space to get to the Ultra Beasts to keep them from invading?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The looker stuff was bad, he just wouldn’t shut up. Rocket you actually get to fight stuff.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Literally fighting the same Grunt 20 times isn't good gameplay

And they got ludicrously lazy with design - remember the literal lines of Rocket Grunts holding hands?

And I hate that there's so many pairs of Grunts (both Rocket and Skull) that look like they should've been a Double Battle, but that'd have caused the game to chug even more than it already does, so you fight them one at a time

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Give you that, I found the battles against the various leaders to be fun though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Avalerion posted:

Give you that, I found the battles against the various leaders to be fun though.

I went out of my way to use Ultra Necrozma against their Legendary pokemon
Light of Heavenly Destruction'ing them into next week felt so good, especially against Ghetsis

I also gleefully fed Nebby to Necrozma to help it regain its true power instead of using the free Cosmog the game gives you at Lake of the Sun/Moon postgame

Mostly because I'm not wasting time raising a third Cosmog, having spent the main game raising one I traded over - fittingly, it turned into a Cosmoem by the time I got to Aether Paradise and Lunala by the time I reached Poni Island

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong but I could play through moon, then transfer all my pokemon to ultra sun and end up with all the pokemon available in the current gen right?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
No you’d still miss STAKATAKA

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

All hail UB:MINECRAFT

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know that in the first Pokemon Games the Pokemon made bizarre screeching sounds because the Game Boy could only play simple beeps and boops, and the Pokemon lore wasn't set in stone anyway. But nowadays, when everyone knows that Pokemon only say their names and Pokemon games are on cutting edge portable systems, why do they still make the distorted screeches? Shouldn't they have switched to having the Pokemon say their names by now?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know that in the first Pokemon Games the Pokemon made bizarre screeching sounds because the Game Boy could only play simple beeps and boops, and the Pokemon lore wasn't set in stone anyway. But nowadays, when everyone knows that Pokemon only say their names and Pokemon games are on cutting edge portable systems, why do they still make the distorted screeches? Shouldn't they have switched to having the Pokemon say their names by now?

I think pokemon saying their names is an anime-only thing. In the games and manga and stuff, they supposed to be making other noises, mostly regular animal sounds, but also more exotic stuff sometimes, as appropriate for the species.

Except Pikachu cause it's special. Of course.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pikachu says "PIKA! :D" nowadays. Creating a jarring effect when it evolves into Raichu and it goes back to [ELECTRIC NOISES].

The Regis should totally get their anime cries tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSMQYDYBALY

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean when they made Pokémon Origins and Pokémon Generations they had the Pokémon screeching so I think it’s literally just the regular anime that does that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

Most of the original cries are that way for nostalgia reasons, the same as how all the legendaries from old gens tend to have their original gen encounter music

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Uh, Staryu says “HIYA”

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Not to mention that if they did go with "Pokémon saying their names" as their in-game cry, they would have to change the cries for every Pokémon that has a different name in every language, which would be an unnecessary time, money and development sink that could be better spent elsewhere in the game.

It's easier to have one or two people program various "noises" for Pokémon then hire dozens of voice actors to record various cries and then do the process for every language the game is released in. Pikachu is easy to include as it's voiced by literally one person across all languages and is pretty much known worldwide as the voice of Pikachu.

Detective Pikachu is a good example: Pokémon are voiced by saying their names, but most of them end up sounding way to similar to others as they only hired 4 people to voice Pokémon that aren't Pikachu or Mewtwo.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 20, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zuzie posted:

Detective Pikachu is a good example: Pokémon are voiced by saying their names, but most of them end up sounding way to similar to others as they only hired 4 people to voice Pokémon that aren't Pikachu or Mewtwo.

I never played that game but in my mind it's Danny Devito going "PIKAWCHOO"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also they've been upgrading the soundbites to be less beep-boopy.

Also beyond practical concerns, having all pokémon shout their names would be dumb and worse.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Guy Goodbody posted:

A lot of Pokémon have different names in other languages so it’d be a heck lot of audio bloat considering every language is on the cart these days.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Alternately, consolidate names and leave only the best option from each language.

Goodbye Squirtle old friend. SCHIGGY!

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Alternately, consolidate names and leave only the best option from each language.

Goodbye Squirtle old friend. SCHIGGY!

All of the french names are gold, but Celesteela/Bamboiselle is insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Strange Quark posted:

A lot of Pokémon have different names in other languages so it’d be a heck lot of audio bloat considering every language is on the cart these days.

IIRC Italian and Spanish don't have different names, at least not in text form. Not sure whether they would need different recordings anyway to take account of differences in pronounciation. Not sure also whether Chinese Traditional and Simplified would need different recordings due to differences in pronounciation in the different areas where one or the other writing system is more used - I don't know enough about Chinese to have any idea about this. Let's assume not.

Assuming, then, that the languages they record clips in are Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, that's 6 languages * 800-odd species = 4800 clips. But this is assuming only one clip per species, which probably isn't realistic because Pikachu has multiple clips for different contexts (vanilla cry, fainted, etc). Not taking into account that there are some monsters (many of them legendaries) whose names are the same in every language.

They would also have to co-ordinate voice actors when developing each new game, rather than waiting until the anime is gearing up to do an episode that features a pokemon that hasn't previously made a voiced appearance.