Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's right up there with "world clock" in terms of cool looking but largely useless features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

infernal machines posted:

it's right up there with "world clock" in terms of cool looking but largely useless features

world clock is more useful though

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

has anyone bought the vanilla macbook? I'm assuming that it also suffers from dustgate but I haven't heard anything specific to them

i have a 2015 model (with the worst keyboard, they fixed it every subsequent model) and yeah, for some time i was prying off keys and blowing/dusting out dust and crumbs. but i haven’t done that in months and i use it to program everyday. i think the main reason it was so bad is i bought it used.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

exploded mummy posted:

the highlight was the stocks app update

the highlight was when microsoft announced the acquisition of github.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

* Dark Mode
* Mac app security - must now ask to use microphone or camera
* New Mac App Store - loving finally
* UIKit - More streamlined development across devices
* Walkie-talkie - Voice message people ANY TIME through their Watch
* iOS is like 2x faster
* New Apple Books - could be cool. Reading might be better on OLED now? But i’m pretty into the Kobo ecosystem.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

stocks app/widget could be interesting if it could securely connect to your portfolio and if you touch/faceid you could see actual amounts or log in to trade

just a stock graph is pretty pointless outside a lobby tv situation

the stocks app is useful for correlating stock moves with company events. see the stock moved unusually, look at the headlines to find out why.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

haha, looks like elon was probably aware this story was about to be published and started panicking

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/uber-neglected-simulation-testing-on-self-driving-cars-insiders-say

they didn’t test auto pilot dear god

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

haha, looks like elon was probably aware this story was about to be published and started panicking

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/uber-neglected-simulation-testing-on-self-driving-cars-insiders-say

uber and Tesla are both bad but they're different companies and neither one is apple

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cocoa Crispies posted:

uber and Tesla are both bad but they're different companies and neither one is apple

best case scenario for the upcoming Apple self driving car: you will need an iPhone to set it up

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

nice paywall kevin

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boiled Water posted:

best case scenario for the upcoming Apple self driving car: you will need an iPhone to set it up

i still don't believe that even tim would be stupid enough to get in to the car business

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i did in fact just confuse uber and tesla dammit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

the stocks app is useful for correlating stock moves with company events. see the stock moved unusually, look at the headlines to find out why.

every single brokerage app and website already does the same thing but you can actually do something about it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

every single brokerage app and website already does the same thing but you can actually do something about it

posts screenshot of that next to even the current apple stocks app

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don’t own any stocks, foreign currency, or domestic or crypto currency, but i can still open the apple stocks app and go “oh that’s why that thing happened and how it affects me”. i did study business and stuff though but still it’s a better app than finance.google.com is/was

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

I wonder if Tesla will issue another creepy press release with every detail about what where and how the car was driven before it caught on fire.
what else are you supposed to do when faced when the totally loving absurd scenario of media scrutiny every single time something goes wrong with one of the cars while vehicles from literally every other manufacturer fail kill and maim at much higher rates

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

like it was headline news on nyt when that dude died after CRAWLING INTO THE BACK SEAT while autopilot was running. the same day, toyota admitted its airbags had killed dozens of people by exploding metal shards everywhere and it was barely a footnote. this poo poo is 100% driven by a very expensive public affairs effort by oil and gas and traditional carmakers, and the media and tech people are eating that poo poo straight from their rear end in a top hat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
MUSK DEFENDER HAS SIGNED ON

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

musk is a weird douche but you are out of your goddamn mind if you think tesla is a bad thing and their products dont rule

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

* Walkie-talkie - Voice message people ANY TIME through their Watch

remember when sprint? was it sprint or tmobile had those flip phones with teh walkie talkie mode and it did that BEEP BEEP BEEP thing and was super annoying?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

musk is a weird douche but you are out of your goddamn mind if you think tesla is a bad thing and their products dont rule

tesla is a bad thing and their products dont rule

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember when sprint? was it sprint or tmobile had those flip phones with teh walkie talkie mode and it did that BEEP BEEP BEEP thing and was super annoying?
nextel baby

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

what else are you supposed to do when faced when the totally loving absurd scenario of media scrutiny every single time something goes wrong with one of the cars while vehicles from literally every other manufacturer fail kill and maim at much higher rates
much higher rates of dead bodies or per car

toyota cranks out 2mil/year, elon's total tesla output summed up over the last 15 years is 10% of that

this poo poo is 100% driven by a very expensive public affairs effort by oil and gas and traditional carmakers
you forgot the short sellers, not gonna get ur frozen yogurt at this rate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

their products are absolute loving trash by any measure

they have poo poo manufacturing processes, massive recalls, unsafe, untested features that literally kill people and their build quality makes zastava look like rolls loving royce

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hur dur electric car go fast, i say yelling over the wind whistling through inch wide panel gaps

luckily a cheaply cast aluminum control strut breaks and my front end collapses into the road before the autopilot has a chance to accelerate into a highway gore

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, yeah, and not only do they break like crazy, you can't fix them, and you also can't get replacement parts even if you could fix them because tesla hasn't figured out the whole "supply chain" thing just yet.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i love my $100k car with the quality interior of a chevy malibu!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you know the tesla is both good and something they put a lot of thought into designing by the little details, like how they replaced the console with a touchscreen that requires you to navigate through menus to do things like change a/c or the radio

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

you know the tesla is both good and something they put a lot of thought into designing by the little details, like how they replaced the console with a touchscreen that requires you to navigate through menus to do things like change a/c or the radio

i very much appreciate changing my a/c vents by moving a tiny gray dot on a lighter gray background

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember how you need to press a touchscreen button to open the glove compartment, but that didn't work if you were in an accident so then they made it pop open on sudden deceleration and now if you stop short you passenger gets nailed by the contents of the glove box?

solid loving design. top quality engineering

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember how the model 3 had worse braking distance than an old 60s land yacht with drum brakes because they miscalibrated the abs so badly?

remember how no one caught this and they only noticed because consumer reports panned the car for literally being dangerously unsafe?

teslas loving rule dude!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

remember how the model 3 had worse braking distance than an old 60s land yacht with drum brakes because they miscalibrated the abs so badly?

remember how no one caught this and they only noticed because consumer reports panned the car for literally being dangerously unsafe?

teslas loving rule dude!
but they fixed it via an over-the-air update!!! how cool is that!!!! now you don't even need to take your car back to the dealership when your car is broken by design!!!!!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Elon Mush and Jony Ive have very similar design values.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember how in order to exit the vehicle in the event of an emergency (like, say a battery over temperature event) you need to pull the door apart from the inside, pull a little release cord buried inside, and then lift the entire weight of the door?

any negative press about their products is clearly a conspiracy on the part of big oil and the MSM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

Elon Mush and Jony Ive have very similar design values.

lmao. jony would commit seppuku with a macbook before he would accept the build tolerances on a tesla

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tesla is the sharper image of cars and if you’re too young to get that reference you shouldn’t be interested in teslas anyway because they’re peak hgh dad car, even outclassing s series audis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

anthonypants posted:

but they fixed it via an over-the-air update!!! how cool is that!!!! now you don't even need to take your car back to the dealership when your car is broken by design!!!!!

this means someone could also disable the brakes entirely in an update, does it not?