Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Vinylshadow posted:

Literally fighting the same Grunt 20 times isn't good gameplay

And they got ludicrously lazy with design - remember the literal lines of Rocket Grunts holding hands?

And I hate that there's so many pairs of Grunts (both Rocket and Skull) that look like they should've been a Double Battle, but that'd have caused the game to chug even more than it already does, so you fight them one at a time

It's crazy that Emerald is still the gold standard for double battles in story mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Vinylshadow posted:

Literally fighting the same Grunt 20 times isn't good gameplay

And they got ludicrously lazy with design - remember the literal lines of Rocket Grunts holding hands?

That was the joke.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Snap does the best Pokesounds. Porygon's ugh-nyer noise is just great. and bulbasaur and meowth and snorlax and poliwag and shellder and psyduck

also it was always fun changing smash brothers to different languages and making the announcer yell completely different names

I always wonder what snap sounds like in different languages

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Funky Valentine posted:

The Regis should totally get their anime cries tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSMQYDYBALY

THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP

You can't link to this and not link to the sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0YsaXJG-g

I'm against every Pokemon saying their name because it'd sound terrible but these cries should be in the games. All of them, just cycle through every "line" the Regis had in their movies.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

McDragon posted:

also it was always fun changing smash brothers to different languages and making the announcer yell completely different names

Oooh that is a neat idea, I never thought of that before. Gonna try that out in SSB4 Ultimate. "Go Herbizarre!"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hammerite posted:

IIRC Italian and Spanish don't have different names, at least not in text form. Not sure whether they would need different recordings anyway to take account of differences in pronounciation. Not sure also whether Chinese Traditional and Simplified would need different recordings due to differences in pronounciation in the different areas where one or the other writing system is more used - I don't know enough about Chinese to have any idea about this. Let's assume not.

Assuming, then, that the languages they record clips in are Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, that's 6 languages * 800-odd species = 4800 clips. But this is assuming only one clip per species, which probably isn't realistic because Pikachu has multiple clips for different contexts (vanilla cry, fainted, etc). Not taking into account that there are some monsters (many of them legendaries) whose names are the same in every language.

They would also have to co-ordinate voice actors when developing each new game, rather than waiting until the anime is gearing up to do an episode that features a pokemon that hasn't previously made a voiced appearance.

OK, fair enough. But it seems like they're gonna have Pikachu and Evee voiced for the Let's Go games, so maybe there's a solution. Slowly expand the number of voiced Pokemon by releasing more games in the Let's Go series, and then use that audio in the main series.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

less laughter posted:

Oooh that is a neat idea, I never thought of that before. Gonna try that out in SSB4 Ultimate. "Go Herbizarre!"

Aw, that’s kinda a better localization of Fushigisou than Ivysaur is.

EDIT: looking at Bulbapedia, simplified and traditional Chinese have different Pokémon names entirely. So that’s another language.

EDIT2: or maybe that was just showing it used to have a different name in HK before the games’ localization into Chinese, poo poo’s confusing.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 20, 2018

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never played that game but in my mind it's Danny Devito going "PIKAWCHOO"

We got someone doing a less wild Danny Devito impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc-4upnHH4w

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, fair enough. But it seems like they're gonna have Pikachu and Evee voiced for the Let's Go games, so maybe there's a solution. Slowly expand the number of voiced Pokemon by releasing more games in the Let's Go series, and then use that audio in the main series.

But why would anyone WANT Pokemon to say their names?

I'll admit that my first exposure to Pokemon was the anime, but after having played the games for years, Pokemon saying their names is real dumb and I would rather they just made animal sounds.

Even the anime knows it's dumb to a certain degree, since Pokemon like Charizard, Gyarados and Onix just make roaring or growling sounds.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I'm indifferent towards whether or not Pokemon make beep books, animal sounds, or their names really. Even with the anime, there was a certain charm to hearing, say, Squirtle call its name in different ways for attacks and stuff.

Maybe it's due to me growing up with the franchise and being an off and on fan of the anime, but I don't really have a stigma towards Pokemon names being used as a substitution for growls.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Considering how some legendaries are portrayed, it'd be kinda weird to see like Mewtwo saying its name or whatever.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Blaze Dragon posted:

You can't link to this and not link to the sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w0YsaXJG-g

I'm against every Pokemon saying their name because it'd sound terrible but these cries should be in the games. All of them, just cycle through every "line" the Regis had in their movies.

The closed captioning on that video is never not funny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strange Quark posted:

Considering how some legendaries are portrayed, it'd be kinda weird to see like Mewtwo saying its name or whatever.

That's why I think doing it through the Let's Go games might be a good compromise, since they're only going to make Let's Go games of the cute Pokemon. At first it'll just be Piakchu and Evee. Nobody would mind hearing them say their names. Then when the generation 2 Let's Go games are released, it'll add Wooper and Marrill. Then it'll continue with Ludicolo and Wailord, Bidoof and Drifloon, Munna and Trubbish, Phantump and Bergmite, and finally Toucannon and Mimikyu.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dienes posted:

The closed captioning on that video is never not funny.

*Sad computer noises*

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
All Pokémon should just master human speech like Meowth

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

less laughter posted:

All Pokémon should just master human speech like Meowth

If everyone's special, nobody is. Don't take that from him.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean, that means we get Scottish Herdier back, so...

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Nessa posted:

Even the anime knows it's dumb to a certain degree, since Pokemon like Charizard, Gyarados and Onix just make roaring or growling sounds.

Onix actually roars its japanese name, though!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only one they need to add is koffing saying koffiiiiii~

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The sounds Koffing makes should just be the hacks and coughs of a 90-year-old diehard smoker.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

We got someone doing a less wild Danny Devito impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc-4upnHH4w

Watching this voice come out of pikachu honestly looks like a joke

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Watching this voice come out of pikachu honestly looks like a joke

:thejoke:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
So apparently if you let the Gold demo intro play out until the end there would be a little minigame you could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH21GqMNZ3A

Also I've got two extra Legendary Beast codes if anyone wants them.

Maute
Jan 15, 2009

dungeon cousin posted:

So apparently if you let the Gold demo intro play out until the end there would be a little minigame you could play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH21GqMNZ3A

Also I've got two extra Legendary Beast codes if anyone wants them.

I wouldn't mind those codes, didn't get a chance to grab em. I've not got plat, could you email to *omitted*

edit: thanks!

Maute fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 21, 2018

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Maute posted:

I wouldn't mind those codes, didn't get a chance to grab em. I've not got plat, could you email to redacted

Codes sent!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Who here is good at constructing Battle Tree teams? I've had pretty consistent success with this team so far, but could use some suggestions to help iron out the flaws:

Porygon2
Item: Eviolite
Ability: Download or Analytic
Moves:
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt/Discharge
Recover
Trick Room

Araquanid
Item: Waterium-Z
Ability: Water Bubble
Moves:
Liquidation
Stockpile/Iron Defense
Leech Life
Toxic

Incineroar
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Darkest Lariat
Earthquake
Drain Punch

The main point of this set is to set up with Trick Room and sweep with Araquanid using Liquidation. Thinking about swapping it with Waterfall for that flinch rate but for now I'm using this. Incineroar is best used to answer for things that the other two can't, and Intimidate paired with the Assault Vest and EV spreads in Def/SpD makes him an excellent damage sponge with solid recovery option using Drain Punch.

The two problems I have with this team are answers to Rock and Fighting types. Rock is the easier of the two to check but can really bruise Araquanid when switching; Incineroar is another option but usually can't OHKO like Araquanid can.

Fighting is the biggest hurdle I have in a match. Porygon can tank fighting attacks just fine but not STAB ones so he'll absolutely go down before I can set up Trick Rooms at times. The water spider has that resistance but poor defense EV investments be dammed, and a lot of fighting types tend to carry rock moves that will finish it off if I dont hit first with the water Z move.

What could I add/remove to help check fighting types? I could swap out one of Porygon2's attack moves for a psychic one but they honestly cover Araquanid's weaknesses so well that it'd be tough to give up. Araquanid's stockpile/iron defense is rarely used since it doesn't have enough time to set it up properly most of the time, I could swap it out with something different. Incineroar only has Acrobatics to check fighters but would only do 55 damage cause of that Assault Vest he's carrying.

So far the best I can counter with is being able to set up with a Trick Room with Pory2 before getting murdered with STAB damage so I dont have to take switch in damage with my water spider. I'm open for suggestions!

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Battle Tree Doubles

Metagross
Jolly
4hp/252attack/252speed
Metagrossite
Clear Body

Iron Head
Zen Headbutt
Ice Punch
Hammer Arm

Incineroar
Adamant
252hp/252attack/4 whatever
Incinium Z
Intimidate

Fake Out
Flare Blitz
Darkest Lariat
U-turn

Landorus-T
Jolly
252attack/252speed/4 whatever
Assault Vest
Intimidate

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Superpower
U-turn

Zapdos
Timid
252hp/252speed/4satt
Leftovers
Pressure

Discharge
Heat Wave
U-turn
Roost/Protect

Very fast team that just sort of one shots or gets murdered, start on Metagross/Incineroar to get off Fake Out. This normally takes me to floor 50 in about an hour. There are flat out better teams to guarantee winning past 50, but this goes more for just going in/out of battles fast as possible. Zapdos could probably be replaced with Thundurus but that's just my normal Zapdos I use online and I haven't raised my Thundurus up because :effort:

Lant fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 21, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I downloaded Pokemon GO a few days ago because I figured it'd help me keep track of how far I'm walking every day but also give me pokemon in the process, and I'm enjoying it so far. There's 5 pokestops and a gym in easy walking distance to my house, even though I'm somewhat out of shape, and I just learned you can catch Mew if you keep grinding away at a questline, which is fun.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

PetraCore posted:

I downloaded Pokemon GO a few days ago because I figured it'd help me keep track of how far I'm walking every day but also give me pokemon in the process, and I'm enjoying it so far. There's 5 pokestops and a gym in easy walking distance to my house, even though I'm somewhat out of shape, and I just learned you can catch Mew if you keep grinding away at a questline, which is fun.

You can also currently catch Articuno by completing 7 quests for stamps (max one stamp per day) as well, which is pretty cool. They rotate that one monthly and have worked their way down from Moltres to Zapdos to Articuno. I had only ever caught the icebirb so this reward was good to me.

They also turned on the ability to trade with friends yesterday, but I think there's still a minimum level you need to be to start making friends because they're doing a phased rollout.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Nth Doctor posted:

You can also currently catch Articuno by completing 7 quests for stamps (max one stamp per day) as well, which is pretty cool. They rotate that one monthly and have worked their way down from Moltres to Zapdos to Articuno. I had only ever caught the icebirb so this reward was good to me.

They also turned on the ability to trade with friends yesterday, but I think there's still a minimum level you need to be to start making friends because they're doing a phased rollout.
Yeah, I'm way below that level. I'll check out the quests for Articuno, I'd love to get one.

If you max out your pokemon's CP with candy before evolving it, does that result in a stronger pokemon?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I'm way below that level. I'll check out the quests for Articuno, I'd love to get one.

If you max out your pokemon's CP with candy before evolving it, does that result in a stronger pokemon?

Nope. Whether you evolve then level or level then evolve you will end up with the same stats and it all costs the same amount of candy and stardust. There are apps you can use to detect the IVs of your pokemon and what makes the most sense to me is if you have a good candidate for maxing and evolving, keep catching and evaluating pokemon of that species until you have both enough candy and stardust to max your pokemon's level (up to level 30) and get it all the way evolved. That way, you don't waste any candy or stardust on a pokemon that is .000001% less strong than one you catch later.

It's weird: I play the main series games super casually and collector oriented, but I actually try to minmax my good 'mons in Go and poo poo. My wife plays Go like I play the main series and she feels some significant impostor syndrome about being a fake girl gamer over it. I only made the playstyle realization this week and told her all about it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Pokémon Go has its own thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843057

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I'm finally getting around to finishing the Ultra Beast plot in Moon (normal moon, not Ultra), and I totally didn't make the connection with Looker's "chief" until I looked her up.

Goes to show how much I remember those characters.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

On Pokemon sound chat, I always liked the way the Stadium games did it and I will die on that hill. Stadium took the general sound and feel of the Gameboy beep boops and made them sound... better. In most cases the Pokemon made an animal sound, but the sound still took inspiration from the beep boop cries. I loved how those games did the Pokemon cries.

I had a moment of crushing disappointment the first time I played Coliseum and heard Espeon's and Umbreon's cries... that were exactly the way they were in the Gameboy games and not the Stadium cries at all. :smith:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

BlazetheInferno posted:

So, I'm finally getting around to finishing the Ultra Beast plot in Moon (normal moon, not Ultra), and I totally didn't make the connection with Looker's "chief" until I looked her up.

Goes to show how much I remember those characters.

...what's the connection?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Anabel is one of the gen 3 frontier brains

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Chill Penguin posted:

I'm guessing said chief being Anabel from Emerald.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chill Penguin posted:

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Salon_Maiden_Anabel

Pokemon introduced a multiverse and then Sun and Moon confirms people can travel between them. She's a "Faller" who had a wormhole open up and deposit her in the Sun/Moon world from Emerald. Loooker does a similar thing in ORAS, setting up his appearance in X&Y.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you believe in your pokemon, they will never fail. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-768015860

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Oh I see yeah that's some Twin Peaks poo poo