Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

With the summer sale bearing down on us tomorrow, I figure I'll just let the hits keep on comin'.

:clint: FPSummer :clint:

1. Bunker Punks
2. Far Cry
3. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
4. Immortal Redneck
5. Rise of the Triad
6. BioShock Remastered
7. Crysis
8. Hard Reset Redux
9. Far Cry 2
10. Sanctum
11. Judge Dredd: Dredd vs Death
12. Crysis Warhead
13. BioShock 2 Remastered
14. Receiver
15. Blood and Bacon
16. Far Cry 3
17. Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
18. BioShock Infinite
19. Prey

20. Call of Juarez Gunslinger

The Call of Juarez series is a much-needed one, bringing the world at least a few solid western first-person shooters to make up for the inexplicable drought. Bound in Blood was a fine attempt, weaving fast-paced shootouts and tense duels into a classic story of betrayal and revenge. But it took Gunslinger to really perfect the formula, doubling down on all the parts that give the Wild West its allure and dispensing with anything that held it back. It’s a tight, colorful, action-packed romp that only suffers for its length, because once you get wrapped up in the telling you won’t want the tale to end.

Retired bounty hunter Silas Greaves finds himself in a quiet bar in Abilene, Kansas, drinking with some folks who’ve heard of his exploits. It doesn’t take much to get an old gunslinger talking, and soon he’s spinning tales of his time with Billy the Kid and Butch Cassidy. While his story is full of Wild West celebrities it’s ultimately one of revenge, hunting Roscoe “Bob” Bryant and his gang for killing his brother long ago. As Silas speaks it’s up to you to play through his recollections, gunning down bandits and dodging bullets to give his tale a hint of veracity. And not only will you be living the story, you’ll be living the revisions and exaggerations, too.

A few games lean heavily on the unreliable narrator, and fewer still explore the interplay between narrator and gameplay, but Gunslinger does both and then some. Silas will be narrating every level as you play it, with scenery and enemies and even entire routes appearing from thin air as he remembers them. In addition, he’ll sometimes get the details wrong or have to retell a part, causing your foes to blink in and out of existence as he gets his story straight. These moments are played to great effect with the other listeners chiming in and your challenges changing on a whim, and they give the game a unique sense of immersion. I won’t spoil the most impressive scenes that result from this, but you can expect some fantastic jokes to come from his tales.

The narration helps bookend the action, but the shooting is the main attraction and it’s every bit as good as you’d hope a game called Gunslinger would have. Building off the systems of Bound in Blood, Silas can wield pistols, shotguns, and rifles that are deadly with a single shot. You can battle it out from behind cover or go in guns blazing if your reflexes are sharp enough, and this time the game even gives you second chances in the form of fatal bullets you can slow-motion dodge with a button press. The cinematic shootouts and concentration attacks are back, complimented by a skill system that unlocks new abilities and enhancements for your play style as you level up. While it’s a little half-baked (good luck if you focus on the shotgun skills) it does add some welcome progression and customization to the game.

Duels are back as well, but they’re far more technical and can be pretty ornery to master. You’ve got to hover your hand over your gun and keep your wobbly crosshair trained on your foe, and then draw and aim before they plug you. You can draw before they do but you’ll face dishonor, which is still better than dead but an extra challenge to overcome. Outside of that you should be able to sail right through the game’s colorful, action-packed levels, though the last one may trip you up with some seriously tough fights. Story mode is the star here, loaded with secrets to turn up, but the arcade mode is great for score attacks and there’s a dueling mode where you can practice your showdowns, too.

Honestly, Gunslinger is everything you could want in a Wild West action game. The levels are interesting, the shooting is great, there’s plenty of variety and customization, and it’s all tied together with some of the best narration you’re going to find. The only shame is that you can blast through it in less than four hours, but there are those extra modes to keep you busy if you need more. And I imagine you will, because Gunslinger sits pretty high up on the great pile of FPSes. It’s not just a solid western shooter, it’s a solid shooter overall and a drat good time for just about anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I have questions, friends.

Orv
May 4, 2011
DotA's a good game, mate.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are you at least good at DOTA2?
Please tell me you win all the time.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have one, why do you not own rocket league?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

uh she does mate

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

She Bangs the Drums posted:

uh she does mate

Why does it not have the blue box?

These are all the times accumulated by friends I thought.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gunslinger's Good Ending is so drat good; it really captures that triumphant "riding off into the sunset" feeling and it ties together the themes the game has been building up really well.

Gunslinger really nailed being a Western.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 20, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

As I understand, it's a multiplayer-only game focusing on sports/physics, and that's not my jam? I could be wrong, but I haven't been enticed over into looking at it.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

uh she does mate

No, I don't. The list contains games I don't own - I've never touched DOTA or TF2, for example.

e: I've got Skyrim for XBOX 360, and it was fun for a few hours, but Bethesda games have never gelled with me, to my frustration - I want to like Fallout New Vegas, but it's just so tedious to play :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

I see the Trine games are on sale. I was told 2 was the best one, how is it for split-screen coop?

I played the coop online so I dunno if they’re somehow way different by being on the same screen, but I thought they were fine games and a good time with friends. The puzzles all have intended ways to do them but don’t really keep you from brute forcing through them by inflicting physics hell on them, so the games should work no matter what your friends’ attention span is like

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand, it's a multiplayer-only game focusing on sports/physics, and that's not my jam? I could be wrong, but I haven't been enticed over into looking at it.

No, I don't. The list contains games I don't own - I've never touched DOTA or TF2, for example.

ok i get your point, STEAM is broked

edit: leaving this for prosperity since evidently I go to Derek Zoolanders School for kids that dont read good.

Those are your friends.'
Not you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah! I was just surprised is all - it was all the goons here who were talking about it all the time that caused me to give it a try. Did not realise I had been the only holdout! :)

It is good fun, but you are right in that it is probably a bit niche if you are not a fan of multiplayer sports/physics.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand, it's a multiplayer-only game focusing on sports/physics, and that's not my jam? I could be wrong, but I haven't been enticed over into looking at it

Just chiming to say you're not wrong and should probably keep on not jamming it.

(You can play with bots but there's no single player progression of any kind)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Ah! I was just surprised is all - it was all the goons here who were talking about it all the time that caused me to give it a try. Did not realise I had been the only holdout! :)

It is good fun, but you are right in that it is probably a bit niche if you are not a fan of multiplayer sports/physics.

Ahaha, it's okay! It still sounds like it's not my jam - my multiplayer friends are into Stardew Valley and things of that speed, and we're happy. (I branch out into faster things like Warframe, and it's neat to play multiplayer there - but not too often, I'm happier with single-player stuff.)

Artelier posted:

Just chiming to say you're not wrong and should probably keep on not jamming it.

(You can play with bots but there's no single player progression of any kind)

Thanks for the information! Yeah, not my jam. I hope y'all keep enjoying it in my stead. :)

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Guys, I think we might be heading into the PS1 era of nostalgia....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7AfFD8p0UI

Orv
May 4, 2011
We could also not, that's an option.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zaphiel posted:

well we already saw a slew of N64 era of nostalgia stuff the past year... sooooo, a little too late? also yeah looks like poo poo and some things shouldn't be recreated just because

i also did not like the first one because it was ugly and pixelart is terrible, and psx art is even worse and was only excuseble due to hardware limitations

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zaphiel posted:

I've seen this threatened before, that the SNES retro nostalgia and such would move up into the PS1 era, and nope, no thanks, let's not do that.

I'm kind of interested in Anodyne's take on it though, that's a game that could get the most out of the PS1's atmosphere.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zaphiel posted:

Retro horror games have been there for awhile.

EDIT: Puppet Combo games live there, everyone else is just passing through.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 20, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
PS1 graphics can work well with horror games, its like how the crappy, grainy quality of VHS can actually lend itself well to horror movies because it leaves stuff more to the imagination.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 20, 2018

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
What I love about Rocket League is that the behaviour of the ball is purely physics based. Normall football games have separate buttons for pass/shoot/lob. Rocket League is actually about technique, hitting the ball just right to make it do what you want, which is a much more fun way to play digital football to me than "Press X to shoot".

I wouldn't describe it as a sports game, despite it obviously being football with cars the rules are very simple and intuitive, and what is left is more a simple game than a sport. A super fun game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

PS1 graphics can work well with horror games, its like how the crappy, grainy quality of VHS can actually lend itself well to horror movies because it leaves stuff more to the imagination.

The only thing that scares me about PS1 graphics is that a bunch of idiots might start using them because some indie darling does and is successful.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
*brings back random battles*

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

*brings back random battles*

Remember Evoland putting in fake annoying loading screens once you got to the PSX era and you had to buy an expensive in-game item to get rid of them?

I actually had a lot of fun with Evoland II, though of course it's still not perfect.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man the n64/ps1 generation was so loving ugly

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
What I love about rocket league is how chill everyone is. I've scored against my goal more times than I can count and just get a bunch of "Wow!" and "Nice Shot!" spammed in chat with no one getting angry. I hate multiplayer games but RL really warmed up to me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Doorknob Slobber posted:

it was the necessary puberty phase of games. full of acne, hormones running wild, and awkward transitions.

although imo some n64 games have still aged very well just on vibrant chill asthetic alone. like Banjo, Mario, and Zelda are still playable.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The collectahon platformers should have stayed in that generation of consoles, if you ask me. I´m somewhat happy that the attempt to revive them from various indies didn´t seem to have that much traction with the modern gaming scene.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
A Hat in Time was very good, and mostly ditched the collecta- portion in a good way.

imo not enough chill-cartoonyish games where you can smoke lots of :420: and wander around at your own relaxed pace exploring crazy-designed weird worlds with vibrant-levels set to 10

well some open-world games are evolution in a way, like Breath of the Wild perfectly fits that bill and is A++++, and some AC games like Origins and Blackflag are sort of work to similar effect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

The only thing that scares me about PS1 graphics is that a bunch of idiots might start using them because some indie darling does and is successful.

I love them, they're great. PS1 is when games looked the best. I have never understood why pixel art was the retro look when you could make games look like Tomb Raider

bring back grainy cgi videos too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdq04wuBwU

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I love them, they're great. PS1 is when games looked the best. I have never understood why pixel art was the retro look when you could make games look like Tomb Raider

So, so many reasons.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Hell, why hasn't someone just made a new oldschool Tomb Raider? Those games were rad as hell

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

corn in the bible posted:

Hell, why hasn't someone just made a new oldschool Tomb Raider? Those games were rad as hell

Triangles for days.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PS1-era graphics are pretty hard for me to look at nowadays. All those shifty triangles.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Shifty triangles, hanging around on the street corner.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
(Shadow of Mordor) I finished up all the challenges and collection bits in the first map. Including all bonus objectives completed, and some of those were dickish. Once I screwed up at 97 hits of the "Get a Hit Chain of 100", and it took a few restarts before I could finally get it.

Then I took on a Warchief. I didn't even kill his bodyguard first like the game specifically warned me about. it was the one where you need to set his pals on fire. Unfortunately, I got spotted an alarm went off before I could stop it, but rather than abandon the attempt, I kept going and triggered the War Chief. That did leave me with the little problem of a huge horde of orcs around, plus the War Chief's bodyguard and another Captain. I led them on a merry chase, luring them to fires to Detonate, but I still ended up with a bunch of them. I took down one captain (not the bodyguard), but I had to grab some health herbs in the middle of the fight.

Amazingly, I actually got the Warchief to start retreating, he went up a ladder. The horde was too thick for me to follow, so I ran below and caught him when he came down the other side. Lots of fun!

Are there a fixed amount of "Slave Liberation" missions, or are they indefinite, but start repeating at a certain point so you can keep earning money? I haven't seen any repeats so far.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 20, 2018

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Just make all games trying to capture that PS1 "magic" look like Devil Daggers.

And by that I mean make everything look like skulls.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Zaphiel posted:

The first Anodyne was weird and creepy as gently caress in places, so making a sequel based off the early polygon era makes sense. Plenty of room for surreal stuff there.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Are there a fixed amount of "Slave Liberation" missions, or are they indefinite, but start repeating at a certain point so you can keep earning money? I haven't seen any repeats so far.

All of the side missions are finite, but they do gate themselves off by only being able to rescue so many slaves at a time.

The only unlimited missions are the Warchief/Captain ones that are generated by changes in the Nemesis system. Also, don't feel the need to exhaust every side mission as I finished all the side stuff with about 3-4 story missions left.

Also, the survival/hunting challenges can also be gated by the story/game progress, as certain plants/enemies don't show up until later. That being said, if the next survival/hunting challenge is something you can't obtain yet the game lets you know.

Lastly, don't feel the need to do every last bonus objective, since by the end of the game you will probably have more of that currency than you can use. That being said, I found the optional objectives to be pretty fun, and I did every single one of them except the 100-hit streak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You're actually better off beelining most of the plot in SoM as it's not really balanced around the side stuff and you unlock more tools.