Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Why did William never wonder what happened to his profile after he hid it inside the book? You would think he would know something so important went missing.

That was ridiculously contrived because he had no reason not to stick the card in his pocket. Hiding something in a book is what you do if police are knocking on the door to take you in and frisk you.

Ed Harris: why am I putting it in the book tho
Director: just put it in the book ed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

davidspackage posted:

That was ridiculously contrived because he had no reason not to stick the card in his pocket. Hiding something in a book is what you do if police are knocking on the door to take you in and frisk you.

Ed Harris: why am I putting it in the book tho
Director: just put it in the book ed

You don't understand, he had to monologue to his wife right then.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

spiderbyte posted:

How to make an entire season feel pointless 101

WELCOME TO WESTWORLD

Plastic Mick
Feb 12, 2013

Stuck in the 80s
You guys think there's any relevance to William hiding his card in Slaughterhouse Five, or just a nod to timeline shenanigans?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
You know I would like the MIB character writing better if he actually confess killing Login (by supplying him the good stuff or whatever) in his wife monologue.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

For the people saying "why would Juliet freak out over normal video game behavior" and weren't paying attention. William puts the profile card in the book and then sat down next to Juliet. Then he tells her that his brain is broken and he's a monster and she was right the whole time. Then he leaves. She gets up, revealing that she was actually awake the whole time and she grabs the profile. When she checks it, the characteristics it shows confirms what he just told her. That's why she thought he was a monster, because she had two sets of evidence.

And William proceeds not to wonder where the card when over the proceeding years and shoots his daughter because of supposed unknowable card.

Also Ford and Emily were at the same loving dinner I mean jesus christ its not out of the loving air Ford would be a dick to William infront of his daughter.

Westworld Season 2: If you think you understand WestWorld you dont understand Westworld

Including the writers.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So do you think the door is the West World?

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Couldn't he have forgotten about the card and only remembered it when he saw it in her hand after shooting her? He received and hid the card on the same night his wife committed suicide and probably didn't think much about it while dealing with the aftermath of her death.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Greenplastic posted:

Couldn't he have forgotten about the card and only remembered it when he saw it in her hand after shooting her? He received and hid the card on the same night his wife committed suicide and probably didn't think much about it while dealing with the aftermath of her death.

Emily brings it up and William shoots her because he thinks theres no way she could know unless she was a Fordbot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was amazed he didint even try to cut her arm to look for the USB port before deciding to just shoot her

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

What makes you think it's been years since Juliet's suicide?

Some of the things shown in William's profile happened in season 1, so the flashbacks are quite recent. It might even have happened just before current events, months or even weeks ago.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

tooterfish posted:

What makes you think it's been years since Juliet's suicide?

Some of the things shown in William's profile happened in season 1, so the flashbacks are quite recent. It might even have happened just before current events, months or even weeks ago.

He states it with Delos she died years ago. The things shown in williams profile happened in season 1 because the writers were to dumb/lazy to use young william/shoot a whole new scene. Or william really likes raping Dolores in that barn

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I thought William said in S1 that his wife’s death happened a year ago. Either:

A) Host William confirmed!,
B) The writers forgot,
or
C) He was trying to spare Delosbot from the truth

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Despera posted:

He states it with Delos she died years ago. The things shown in williams profile happened in season 1 because the writers were to dumb/lazy to use young william/shoot a whole new scene. Or william really likes raping Dolores in that barn

I thought the wife died recently. That was why he was so mean to the Delos bot, taking his wife's death out on his father in law bot.

So this means his daughter had been watching his raped playthru for years.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah I dont remember exactly what he said. Holy poo poo I have enough useless information Westworld related and not in my head. I doubt what happened at the start of season 1 was less than a year ago.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Despera posted:

No, he says Logan died years ago. About his wife he just says "Juliet's dead, she killed herself".

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

tooterfish posted:

No, he says Logan died years ago. About his wife he just says "Juliet's dead, she killed herself".

Considering this season happens over 2 weeks and the first season happened over a few days most likely chances are its just the writers expected nobody to freeze that second with the card open or nobody would care all that much.

Also William never leaves the park in season 1 so good old rape barny for the wifey is almost certainly writer stupidity/lazyness.

Despera fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 20, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

spiderbyte posted:

How to make an entire season feel pointless 101

This season doesn't already feel pointless?

I feel like the biggest mistake so far is going back to the two timelines well. It hasn't added anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This season doesn't already feel pointless?

I feel like the biggest mistake so far is going back to the two timelines well. It hasn't added anything.

It allows thematic juxtaposition and ironic composition.

re: the William card, my read was that he didn't even look at his profile. I don't want to read diaries I'd written when I was a teen; I definitely wouldn't want to see videos of my exploits in Westworld if I were him. I wouldn't necessarily throw it away, either, but hell no would I want to revisit all that stuff.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Darko posted:

It allows thematic juxtaposition and ironic composition.

re: the William card, my read was that he didn't even look at his profile. I don't want to read diaries I'd written when I was a teen; I definitely wouldn't want to see videos of my exploits in Westworld if I were him. I wouldn't necessarily throw it away, either, but hell no would I want to revisit all that stuff.

But you might want more certainty in its location before you blow away your daughter thinking theres no way she could find it.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Despera posted:

Emily brings it up and William shoots her because he thinks theres no way she could know unless she was a Fordbot.

That’s not the only reason he shoots her. She reached for the back of her pants, which is where she had Williams gun. She had put his gun back there literally moments earlier, which was clearly done for the very reason that William would be paranoid enough to shoot her the moment she reaches behind her back.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, he shoots her because he thought she was reaching for a gun.

He didn't shoot her just because he thought she was a host, or he'd have done it much earlier.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
The entire "Ford you are making a daughter bot to fool me!" argument doesn't make sense, because Ford could have given that a copy of his playthru channel card to his real daughter at the same party. He could have given another copy to his wife!

The fact that he thought his stupid card was still in the book mean he never realized wife killed herself because of his psychotic playthru. What an awful person.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, he shoots her because he thought she was reaching for a gun.

He didn't shoot her just because he thought she was a host, or he'd have done it much earlier.

He definitely did it for both reasons. The dialogue clearly points to him thinking she’s a bot.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Dave posted:

He definitely did it for both reasons. The dialogue clearly points to him thinking she’s a bot.
The dialogue clearly pointed to him thinking she was a bot episodes ago, he didn't shoot her for it. He also didn't shoot her when he shot the security guys. He was content to leave her be.

He shot her because he was in a paranoid frame of mind and she reached behind her for what he thought was a gun. He clearly had no compunctions about shooting her because he thought she was a host, but that's not the same as shooting her because she was a host.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The whole point of the episode was that William is crazy, to the point that there was an actual screen that said in big letters that he is a delusional paranoid crazy person with a persecution complex. He's not supposed to be acting rationally when he shoots Emily. That's him totally going off the deep end.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tooterfish posted:

The dialogue clearly pointed to him thinking she was a bot episodes ago, he didn't shoot her for it. He also didn't shoot her when he shot the security guys. He was content to leave her be.

He shot her because he was in a paranoid frame of mind and she reached behind her for what he thought was a gun. He clearly had no compunctions about shooting her because he thought she was a host, but that's not the same as shooting her because she was a host.

So you believe he would have done the same thing if he thought it was actually her? That’s fine, I just don’t.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

The Dave posted:

So you believe he would have done the same thing if he thought it was actually her? That’s fine, I just don’t.

Motivated reasoning and paranoia. He didn't have to care if it was her or not if he could justify it to himself well enough to pull the trigger and keep playing the game he actually cares about. Consequences are for when the manic driven phase ends, if ever.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gadzuko posted:

The whole point of the episode was that William is crazy, to the point that there was an actual screen that said in big letters that he is a delusional paranoid crazy person with a persecution complex. He's not supposed to be acting rationally when he shoots Emily. That's him totally going off the deep end.

I think the show has failed to achieve its aim of showing William as a paranoid, delusional person. We’re supposed to think he’s paranoid and detached from reality when he suspects Emily of being a host, but... he knows exactly how lifelike host copies can seem, and Ford has explicitly told him that he’s loving with him. Ford’s storyline and William’s storyline undermine each other in this respect—casualties, maybe, of the difficulty of writing a show with so many spinning plates.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Dave posted:

No. If he thought it were her, those compunctions I mentioned would've kicked in and stopped him (probably, as mentioned he is loving crazy).

The difference is one thing is a reason, and the other is a reason not to. Those aren't the same.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
One thing that's always bothered me this season for some reason was Stubb's first line about Bernard, "you gonna shoot the boss?"

In season 1 ep 1, Bernard tells Stubbs, "you gonna decommission the boss?".

I understand that the word decommission in that regard was a joke, but what if he really meant it? I'm playing with the idea that a lot of season 2 is before some parts of season 1.

The park hasn't had a major catastrophe in 30 years. We assume it was Arnold killing himself and Dolores killing the hosts, but the park wasn't open. What if this season was the major catastrophe?

Of course, i can't make it work with Hale running around.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is Williyam maybe a good person because he kept his darkness away from his family and other people and led a philanthropist life? Maybe he is at least better than someone who is good natured but never did a single good thing in their life? Is a man defined by his deeds or his heart? Makes you thunk :thunk:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

I think the show has failed to achieve its aim of showing William as a paranoid, delusional person. We’re supposed to think he’s paranoid and detached from reality when he suspects Emily of being a host, but... he knows exactly how lifelike host copies can seem, and Ford has explicitly told him that he’s loving with him. Ford’s storyline and William’s storyline undermine each other in this respect—casualties, maybe, of the difficulty of writing a show with so many spinning plates.

Ford is gaslighting William like William was gaslighting his wife. That's the point of the layering of both timeframes in the episode (and also why doing this works well for this season's narrative). In both cases, it drove both people to addiction, madness, and death.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
When was the last time Ford was even for sure in contact with William in the park? I can't remember any since Gus from Breaking Bad's gang all shot themselves.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
William is actually the first host Ford ever created and every time he returns to the park Ford replaces him with a slightly aged body.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So it would be pretty funny if it turns out Ford completely perfected the cloning and immortality via hosts technique 30 years ago and Delos are just a bunch of dummies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So it would be pretty funny if it turns out Ford completely perfected the cloning and immortality via hosts technique 30 years ago and Delos are just a bunch of dummies.

I think that’s entirely possible, there is the bit in the Delos scenes where the tech implies that William is the trigger for the neural collapse instead of time. I could totally see a reveal where the technique works as well as it could but Ford is sabotaging it with a manufactured collapse to both gently caress with William and make Delos Corp. think they need to spend more time on the project.

We’re already showed, all through season 1, that as soon as Delos thinks he’s no longer needed Ford is gone.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

DariusLikewise posted:

William is actually the first host Ford ever created and every time he returns to the park Ford replaces him with a slightly aged body.

Maybe Ford just extended it to a year or so, which is why William goes back to Westworld every year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

spiderbyte posted:

Maybe Ford just extended it to a year or so, which is why William goes back to Westworld every year.

I was just shitposting but it would be funny if Ford created a host to infiltrate the Delos family, marry-in and convince the father to give Westworld all his money so Ford could keep the whole thing going. The best timeline IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The only way I can make sense of William being a host is if that happened between S1 and S2, ie: he got killed (or captured) when the hosts attacked and was replaced by a clone Ford had prepared

Still it would be kinda lame imo